Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Years?
    It was only closed for a few months

He said that the first commercial plane came over his house in years not that the runway was closed for years read the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

He said that the first commercial plane came over his house in years not that the runway was closed for years read the post.

I read the post thanks. Its down to interpretation but its a fair assumption to make that he was suggesting a commercial plane had not come over his house in years due to 16/34 being closed for that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I read the post thanks. Its down to interpretation but its a fair assumption to make that he was suggesting a commercial plane had not come over his house in years due to 16/34 being closed for that time.
    Not how I interpreted it but each to their own i suppose

Not how I interpreted it but each to their own i suppose

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s how I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Anyone know of any updated satellite imagery for Dublin Airport? Looking to have a look at the progress over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any updated satellite imagery for Dublin Airport? Looking to have a look at the progress over the last few months.

This seems to be fairly recent.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=3271b7a5-f9ad-43c8-ac56-b1fc10f16d1b&cp=53.436068~-6.264971&lvl=15&style=h&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Rojomur

Apologies for any confusion on my post. I could offer this by way of explanation. I live just off malahide Road under flightpath of runway 34. That post was written seconds after id heard the first plane..a ryanair b737 flying overhead and i suppose i was just rreacting unexpectedly. I had no idea despite following this thread that the runway was now open. My reference to 'years' was just an initial reaction to what felt like that. When RW 10/28 was being resurfaced a few years ago the planes were coming thick and fast from 11pm until the US first flights landed sometimes as early as 4.30am. It operated when the wind dictated after that and then the north runway construction commenced...it now seems lime an age since i heard regular night flights flying over the house....subsitute "years" from my initial post with a "while" and youll catch my drift...

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

You can still see a EI 757 parked remotely off pier D, so 6 months old at least!

HTCOne wrote: »
    You can still see a EI 757 parked remotely off pier D, so 6 months old at least!

Lot's of aircraft moving too :P, still a little progress visible!

• Advertisement

Have you seen these?

IMG-20200917-WA0032.jpg
    IMG-20200917-WA0034.jpg
    IMG-20200917-WA0033.jpg

Have you seen these?....

Fantastic thanks for that, great to see this progress.

I wonder what the reasoning was as to why the parallel taxiway needed to diverge off to south before reconnecting with the old Taxiway G?

I wonder what the reasoning was as to why the parallel taxiway needed to diverge off to south before reconnecting with the old Taxiway G?

I think I heard it was an EASA requirement. To do with pilots line of sight while crossing 16/34.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think I heard it was an EASA requirement. To do with pilots line of sight while crossing 16/34.

Yeah. Was discussed up thread. Much safer to cross/hit runways at a right angle.

Here's a nice video on the blindspot phenomenon on angled roads:

https://youtu.be/SYeeTvitvFU

There’s a EUROCONTROL document, the European Action Plan for the Prevention of Runway Incursions. Whilst its recommendations are not mandatory, when the word “Should” is used then the recommendation is considered ‘best practice’.

The relevant recommendation is contained in APPENDIX K AERODROME DESIGN GUIDANCE FOR THE PREVENTION OF RUNWAY INCURSION
    Air crews need an unobstructed view of the runway, in both directions to the thresholds, to confirm that the runway and its approach are clear of conflicting traffic before proceeding to enter onto this runway. To provide this clear view, runway entrances should be perpendicular to the runway as far as practicable.

Clearly, this recommendation also applies for aircraft crossing a runway, in this case 16/34.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There’s a EUROCONTROL document, the European Action Plan for the Prevention of Runway Incursions. Whilst its recommendations are not mandatory, when the word “Should” is used then the recommendation is considered ‘best practice’.

The relevant recommendation is contained in APPENDIX K AERODROME DESIGN GUIDANCE FOR THE PREVENTION OF RUNWAY INCURSION

Clearly, this recommendation also applies for aircraft crossing a runway, in this case 16/34.

Its kind of ironic that the same runway has 3 angled crossings just a few hundred meters down from the new diverged crossing.

Its kind of ironic that the same runway has 3 angled crossings just a few hundred meters down from the new diverged crossing.

Very true. But in a new build situation, you pretty well have to follow the (newer) guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Very true. But in a new build situation, you pretty well have to follow the (newer) guidance.

Oh I agree absolutely, just pointing out the irony of it all haha. Those crossings were long built before EASA issued any such guidance.

Yeah, a few years back a Monarch entered 16, a Ryanair was able to reject just before V1 and came to a safe stop.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/A321_/_B738,_Dublin_Ireland,_2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

That's quite a few months old, possibly a year old. Google Map's current image is even older - construction proper hasn't begun on that. Apple Maps, if you have one of their devices, has high-res imagery from this summer with work well under way on the new runway and existing taxiway intersections of 16/34 which has multiple closed 'X' markings (plus lots and lots of parked up aircraft).

And if you want a look at what it (or anything else) looks like now-ish, albeit at low-res, there's always Sentinal Hub EO Browser. Here's a link to the clearest image from the last week ... 7th October 2020 Link ... give it a minute to load the satellite imagery over the map

What's with the requirements to narrow the runways?

Seems counterintuitive to remove landing area?

Is it just a case of bring lights in narrower rather than trimming the tarmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Indeed its just bringing in the white lines and lights on the side of the runway.

Main reason, particularly with 16/34, was due to the optical illusion it induced for pilots on approach of feeling low on the profile, due to the short length of 16/34. This in turn would mean some might be liable to approach the runway from a slightly higher angle to make the picture look more correct or normal, and the result being you're then more liable to land long or further down an already quite short runway by modern standards.

16 and 34 in particular was always well known as having strange illusions on approach, particularly at night where its short length, wide width and lack of centerline lights gave it a real black hole effect on the approach and made it quite hard to judge your relative position of the aircraft vs the runway while on the final stages of the approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Basically to standardise runway width as disparate widths could lead pilots to the impression they were lower in approach than they actually were.

It’s narrowing and embedding the lights.... t

Ohh ohh...... sorry didn’t see above post

Sorreeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

NH2013 wrote: »
    16 and 34 in particular was always well known as having strange illusions on approach, particularly at night where its short length, wide width and lack of centerline lights gave it a real black hole effect on the approach and made it quite hard to judge your relative position of the aircraft vs the runway while on the final stages of the approach.

Particularly when the lighting on the Holiday Inn (or whatever it is called now) in Ballymun used to make it look exactly like a runway!

http://avherald.com/h?article=3fa877c1/0001

Hope Simon doesn’t mind me linking to his site if he is around......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Particularly when the lighting on the Holiday Inn (or whatever it is called now) in Ballymun used fo make it look exactly like a runway!

It does too

flightline_md83_g-fltm_dublin_070816_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its the Metro, was the Days.

NH2013 wrote: »
    Indeed its just bringing in the white lines and lights on the side of the runway.

Main reason, particularly with 16/34, was due to the optical illusion it induced for pilots on approach of feeling low on the profile, due to the short length of 16/34. This in turn would mean some might be liable to approach the runway from a slightly higher angle to make the picture look more correct or normal, and the result being you're then more liable to land long or further down an already quite short runway by modern standards.

Thanks so much for that.

I actually thought ALL runways were being narrowed.

Great explanation.

And I can completely visualise the issue you describe occuring.

Particularly when the lighting on the Holiday Inn (or whatever it is called now) in Ballymun used to make it look exactly like a runway!

That's a fantastic article. Cheers for the link.
    Shedite27 wrote: »
    It does too

flightline_md83_g-fltm_dublin_070816_2.jpg

The zoomed in photo is actually pretty haunting when you think of the potential catastrophe.

What lights are in place now to stop this happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Has anyone flown into Dublin airport domestically from either Kerry or Donegal this year in Covid times or else in recent years. I myself last flew Kerry to Dublin in 2010 with Ryanair and I really can't remember at the time but I think there was no checkpoint.

I think it is truly horrendous that you have to clear immigration and get your passport scanned to fly domestically despite it being an internal flight domestically within the Republic of Ireland, it has a real big brother feel to it. Is this domestic immigration checkpoint something new resulting from Covid or what? E.g. we can fly to the UK and waltz through with no checks but fly to Dublin (same country) and you get checked and interrogated.

Advertisement