Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is Jean Kleyn injured?

Jean Kleyn picked up a neck ligament injury against Leinster in August,
    Rehabbed the injury for a month,
    Made his return the first match against Scarlets, started and played 52 minutes.
    Wasn’t selected against Edinburgh.
    He’s no longer mentioned in the injury updates so he must still be in full training.
    Looks like they are being cautious with him, and he is probably not in contention for a call-up to Ireland on that basis.
    Hopefully he plays a few more matches over the next month or so and that neck injury doesn’t come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

LH: Healy, Byrne
    HK: Herring,Kelleher, Heffernan
    TH: Porter, Ryan, Bealham
    LK: Henderson, Ryan, Baird, Beirne, Roux
    BS: Doris, POM
    N8: Stander, Conan

SH: Murray, Marmion, JGP
    OH: Sexton, Byrne, Carty
    IC: Aki, Henshaw, McCloskey
    OC: Ringrose, Farrell
    WG: Conway, Larmour, Stockdale
    FB: Daly, Keenan

Italy squad could need a few additions. TBC OUT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Marty Moore maybe as a tight-head replacement for Bealham and/or Porter,
    Tracy as a hooker (already training with them),
    Dillane or Thornbury as lock,
    Not sure if there’s a need for another out-half to replace Sexton. Maybe Burns if he’s not injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Whats wrong with Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Sexton?

Came off after 23 mins against Dragons with a hamstring injury, but all the updates have said it's minor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Marty Moore maybe as a tight-head replacement for Bealham and/or Porter,
    Tracy as a hooker (already training with them),
    Dillane or Thornbury as lock,
    Not sure if there’s a need for another out-half to replace Sexton. Maybe Burns if he’s not injured?

Injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Heffernan and Bealham were ok after the Cardiff game per Andy Friend. They just need to go through HIA protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Oh bollocks

11 days out and the bloke has just joined up with the squad. There will be multiple tests in the coming days so unless there are multiple cases, the game isn't under threat.

We've seen several cases in multiple professional sports teams in recent weeks and their games still proceed. Racing 92 had 9 positive cases within their camp and they were playing last weekend (they had a game postponed which was 48 hours after the initial outbreak).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,283 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    11 days out and the bloke has just joined up with the squad. There will be multiple tests in the coming days so unless there are multiple cases, the game isn't under threat.

We've seen several cases in multiple professional sports teams in recent weeks and their games still proceed. Racing 92 had 9 positive cases within their camp and they were playing last weekend (they had a game postponed which was 48 hours after the initial outbreak).

yeah...

as this is an international and not a club game... if they had a widespread break out surely they can just keep calling up new non infected players.

clubs cant do that, which results in forfeited games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Think I'd go with a team something like the following against Italy:

1. Peter Dooley
    2. Rob Herring
    3. Andrew Porter/John Ryan
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. C.J. Stander
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Conor Murray
    10. Jonathan Sexton/Ross Byrne
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Bundee Aki
    13. Thomas Farrell
    14. Andrew Conway
    15. Jacob Stockdale

16. David Heffernan/James Tracy
    17. Eric O'Sullivan
    18. John Ryan/Marty Moore
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Tadhg Beirne
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Hugo Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

has RR89 ever posted a team lineup that wasn’t a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Can't see how you have Beirne on a team, outside of an apocalyptic injury crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

has RR89 ever posted a team lineup that wasn’t a wind up

I have no idea. Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

has RR89 ever posted anything that wasn’t a wind up

Fixed that for you. He's a special one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We knew Henderson would be banned and now we've confirmation.

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1316728335297372162?s=19

I mean what use is a biased league of it doesn't let us off this in favour of our 6Ns campaign!?

Seriously though, I'm getting pretty worried about Ireland in the short term at the very least. We dont have any top level LHs knocking about. Our hooker options aren't great. While Kelleher is a great prospect, for now that's all he is. We've 2 great TH options if they could both stay fit. But Furlongs absence will hurt us.

Behind them Ryan is great obviously, but we dont exactly have great depth. Hendo is good and Baird looks a prospect, but everything after that is various shades of average at Test level.

We're also a far, far cry from our back row hey day of Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip & SOB. We've some good options there, but no real great ones. Certainly no destructive ball carriers like that former back row.

At half back we dont have clear cut Test level replacements for either Murray or Sexton. We've some good centres thankfully, and the overall age profile there is good. Our back 3 options mainly have some great strengths with glaring weaknesses.

I can see us being a good team over the coming years, but not a great team. I dont think we have the squad to be challenging England or possibly even France if they are in fact finally getting their act together. It makes me appreciate the 2014 - 2018 period all the more. I think we might be seeing a slump in the coming years. Certainly for the coming few games, we're not in the best of shapes anyway. Thank god one of those is Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

molloyjh wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'm getting pretty worried about Ireland in the short term at the very least. We dont have any top level LHs knocking about. Our hooker options aren't great. While Kelleher is a great prospect, for now that's all he is. We've 2 great TH options if they could both stay fit. But Furlongs absence will hurt us.

Behind them Ryan is great obviously, but we dont exactly have great depth. Hendo is good and Baird looks a prospect, but everything after that is various shades of average at Test level.

We're also a far, far cry from our back row hey day of Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip & SOB. We've some good options there, but no real great ones. Certainly no destructive ball carriers like that former back row.

At half back we dont have clear cut Test level replacements for either Murray or Sexton. We've some good centres thankfully, and the overall age profile there is good. Our back 3 options mainly have some great strengths with glaring weaknesses.

I can see us being a good team over the coming years, but not a great team. I dont think we have the squad to be challenging England or possibly even France if they are in fact finally getting their act together. It makes me appreciate the 2014 - 2018 period all the more. I think we might be seeing a slump in the coming years. Certainly for the coming few games, we're not in the best of shapes anyway. Thank god one of those is Italy.

Totally agree on the above. I said it here around a week ago the next 5-10 years at international level is going to be a case of damage limitation to plain miserable. We certainly don’t have a plethora of rising superstars. In fact I’d go as far to say they want to be superstars but fail to see their own shortcomings. Do they do what the coaches tell them? I get the feeling they want to show off when they’re on the pitch but they don’t have the raw materials to pull it off. Anything is possible with a humble hard working below average set of players but I wonder do the current crop know what it is to fight out a victory on the pitch.. Of course I’m coming from the Leinster perspective here.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You all know who Ireland need to bring back to the international fold in order to reach the promised land.

You know.

• Advertisement

Totally agree on the above. I said it here around a week ago the next 5-10 years at international level is going to be a case of damage limitation to plain miserable. We certainly don’t have a plethora of rising superstars. In fact I’d go as far to say they want to be superstars but fail to see their own shortcomings. Do they do what the coaches tell them? I get the feeling they want to show off when they’re on the pitch but they don’t have the raw materials to pull it off. Anything is possible with a humble hard working below average set of players but I wonder do the current crop know what it is to fight out a victory on the pitch.. Of course I’m coming from the Leinster perspective here.

I think that's more than a little harsh. For starters, Ireland being behind 2 of the biggest rugby countries in the world shouldn't be a source of misery. Its got to be expected, at least some of the time. If anything, I dont think enough people truly appreciated how much we've been punching above our weight for much of the last 10-15 years, RWCs aside.

As for what level of self awareness players have, we dont know and we can't know. Its a futile discussion and needlessly personal. The Roy of the Rovers idea that "anything is possible with a humble hard working below average set of players" simply isn't true either. How many teams like that have won trophies or beaten NZ or been consistently ranked inside the top 5? Average teams tend to have average ceilings. Some are lucky enough to break through those ceilings on the odd occasions but thats about it.

I'm reasonably okay with us having a slump and fighting it out for 2nd or 3rd place for a while. Its still a good, competitive place to be. It beats being Scotland or Italy. Even England, France, Australia & South Africa have had their poor spells. Most teams do. And maybe, just maybe, we might learn to appreciate success more when it comes. I won't hold my breath there though. It often seems that if we aren't the absolute best then we're the absolute worst, which of course is nonsense.

You all know who Ireland need to bring back to the international fold in order to reach the promised land.

You know.

Heaslip. Gives us more freedom to play around with the back row. Proven player and leader. And delivers on all the non-rugby controversy anyone could possibly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Heaslip. Gives us more freedom to play around with the back row. Proven player and leader. And delivers on all the non-rugby controversy anyone could possibly need.

He's too busy fighting FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'm inclined to agree with molloy, the next few years could be grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

You know.

q3ezc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

I think that's more than a little harsh. For starters, Ireland being behind 2 of the biggest rugby countries in the world shouldn't be a source of misery. Its got to be expected, at least some of the time. If anything, I dont think enough people truly appreciated how much we've been punching above our weight for much of the last 10-15 years, RWCs aside.

As for what level of self awareness players have, we dont know and we can't know. Its a futile discussion and needlessly personal. The Roy of the Rovers idea that "anything is possible with a humble hard working below average set of players" simply isn't true either. How many teams like that have won trophies or beaten NZ or been consistently ranked inside the top 5? Average teams tend to have average ceilings. Some are lucky enough to break through those ceilings on the odd occasions but thats about it.

I'm reasonably okay with us having a slump and fighting it out for 2nd or 3rd place for a while. Its still a good, competitive place to be. It beats being Scotland or Italy. Even England, France, Australia & South Africa have had their poor spells. Most teams do. And maybe, just maybe, we might learn to appreciate success more when it comes. I won't hold my breath there though. It often seems that if we aren't the absolute best then we're the absolute worst, which of course is nonsense.

As far as the mindset of the players is concerned I believe it is possible to determine what that is like individually and collectively by merely watching them play. Trying to pull off flicks behind the back or forwards stationed out on the wings are signs of Prima Donna attitude. It’s not the players’ faults they simply haven’t been taught not to do these things. I know some will say sometimes it’s in Leo’s gameplan to create mismatches on the wing and have forwards blazing down that channel but I think if you are young and trying to make an impression you get stuck in to the basics and are seen to be working your ass off. You don’t hang out in the wide channels. This could also be said of tackling technique, trying too many fancy plays, kicking the ball excessively (I.e. hogging possession to make yourself look good) or simply not digging out tough matches.

We are potentially going back to the 80’s where we struggle against Scotland and Wales. England and France will crush us over the next 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Leo's gameplan is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

All mention of Henderson's suspension has disappeared from the Pro14 website and social media

Whats everyone else thinking in terms of a first choice 23 for the 2 6Ns games? Is the below the most likely or am I missing someone?

Healy Herring Porter
    Dillane Ryan
    Doris Stander VDF

Murray Sexton
    Aki Ringrose
    Stockdale Keenan Conway

Kelleher, Byrne, Ryan, Roux, Conan, Marmion, Byrne, Henshaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Whats everyone else thinking in terms of a first choice 23 for the 2 6Ns games? Is the below the most likely or am I missing someone?

Healy Herring Porter
    Dillane Ryan
    Doris Stander VDF

Murray Sexton
    Aki Ringrose
    Stockdale Keenan Conway

Kelleher, Byrne, Ryan, Roux, Conan, Marmion, Byrne, Henshaw

On paper that team looks so average to me...I dont know why, but none of the names jump out to me as being world class.

Ryan and Ringrose maybe, that's about it...neither Murray or Sexton have been at that level for a while.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement