Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - October 13th 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No usb-c and still has a notch. Where do I queue up to spend €1000 on one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Good prices at that though. Wonder how they're going to differentiate the Pro models though. What will make it worth the 200+ jump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

100% up next

Phheeewww. Dunno why I was sweating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No usb-c and still has a notch. Where do I queue up to spend €1000 on one of these?

Apple.com/ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Not this thread for a whinge anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That mini will have to appeal to SE users

I think I prefer the aluminium over the stainless steel....

Oh no the pro is pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah no chance, we're stuck with the weird hybrid of USB-C to Lightning.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    It's going to be lightening to USB-C. Leaked ages ago

Confirmed - aaargghh. :(

Really torn now - have a number of usb-c cables around the house and I just stick whatever device I want in to them wherever I want. So convenient.
    Has anyone used any usb-c to lightening adapters that clip on to a usb-c cable? might be an acceptable compromise if they work properly, especially in the car for car play

Maybe I missed it there, but did they say if normal wireless chargers will work with the new iPhone? Or do you have to buy these new "magsafe" ones?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well it’s just I’m due an upgrade at the start of next year and was wondering what phones I could get.

You do realise that "due an upgrade" just means you're out of contract.

You don't get a subsidised phone from the networks anymore.

You could just stick to what you have and change to SIM only plan.

They may keep they 11 though and discount it. Let's see what they do.

• Advertisement

Still far from bezel free

So that's no 120Hz ProMotion confirmed now. It's a pity, was still holding out for a surprise. Still looks like a great phone overall though.

Confirmed - aaargghh. :(

Really torn now - have a number of usb-c cables around the house and I just stick whatever device I want in to them wherever I want. So convenient.
    Has anyone used any usb-c to lightening adapters that clip on to a usb-c cable? might be an acceptable compromise if they work properly, especially in the car for car play

Maybe I missed it there, but did they say if normal wireless chargers will work with the new iPhone? Or do you have to buy these new "magsafe" ones?

The wireless charging is Qi standard so will work with any Qi wireless charger.

I really would not see USB C as a dealbreaker for me. Performance of the phone is much more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You do realise that "due an upgrade" just means you're out of contract.

You don't get a subsidised phone from the networks anymore.

You could just stick to what you have and change to SIM only plan.

Yes I’m aware that’s what it means but thanks for pointing it out the gob****es who may not know that. I’m just using the phrase they use. Did I say i was getting a subsidised phone ? Well no I’d need to get a new phone and was just asking but clearly you get an polite answer here at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That mini will have to appeal to SE users

Good bit more expensive though? Maybe another SE announced next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have they not changed to USB-C from Lightning? I wasn’t paying attention.

Hate it when Apple give exclusive features to the larger model. Especially when you want the full experience but don't like giant phones.

DubDJ wrote: »
    So that's no 120Hz ProMotion confirmed now. It's a pity, was still holding out for a surprise. Still looks like a great phone overall though.

I really don't think that's a big deal. Phone will be buttery smooth.

Hate it when Apple give exclusive features to the larger model. Especially when you want the full experience but don't like giant phones.

Yeah especially as I'll now buy it

But isn't that what gives them the "Pro" features?

• Advertisement

But isn't that what gives them the "Pro" features?

No as in the pro max has things the pro doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Camera looks like A big upgrade under the hood

They’re back to this stuff of making the Max version better camera wise. I thought they had stopped that with the XS release

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

ProRaw, now that sounds awesome.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yes I’m aware that’s what it means but thanks for pointing it out the gob****es who may not know that. I’m just using the phrase they use. Did I say i was getting a subsidised phone ? Well no I’d need to get a new phone and was just asking but clearly you get an polite answer here at times.

Yea sorry, just that people say it a lot and really think they're getting a freebie off their network and it annoys me.

I was not trying to be rude and I can only go by what you say.

No as in the pro max has things the pro doesn't

Ok, with you now.

I never go for the pros. I think they're both too pricey.

I honestly don't know if the differences between the standard 12 and the pro model are worth it this year. It's all small camera bumps and even then, the Max gets exclusivity on some of this stuff. Very confusing year to upgrade, 4 iPhones and no major differences across the board. Still unsure if the 12 actually still has an LCD or if OLED is used across the lineup like rumoured.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Night and day difference if you use ProMotion on the iPad though. Yes, fine without but with is even better.

Pro Max has different specs then Pro this time.

Night and Day? Really that's a massive difference and I don't think most people would find that and worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yea sorry, just that people say it a lot and really think they're getting a freebie off their network and it annoys me.

I was not trying to be rude and I can only go by what you say.

Well blame the networks then and get them to use a more appropriate phrase. It annoys me too as it suggest something that it isn’t but I can only use the terms they use. They still use that phrase and people still think they come out paying less for a phone when that’s not the case.

I’ve no doubt you weren’t trying to be rude but unfortunately written text can lend itself to misunderstandings. All I was wondering was what my options would be next year. If it’s iPhone12 or bust then fair enough I suppose.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know if the differences between the standard 12 and the pro model are worth it this year. It's all small camera bumps and even then, the Max gets exclusivity on some of this stuff. Very confusing year to upgrade, 4 iPhones and no major differences across the board. Still unsure if the 12 actually still has an LCD or if OLED is used across the lineup like rumoured.

Base 12 is OLED, they mentioned it briefly

Advertisement