Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Is George Gibney?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

See IT reporting John Mullins, guy with the english accent who stood his bail, has just stepped down from Swim Ireland board, SI saying they knew nothing about the detail he went into on the podcast . Hard to believe his links with GG were not widely known in swimming.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    See IT reporting John Mullins, guy with the english accent who stood his bail, has just stepped down from Swim Ireland board, SI saying they knew nothing about the detail he went into on the podcast . Hard to believe his links with GG were not widely known in swimming.

I think SI are saying the detail they did not know about was the bail money John Mullins came up with for Gibney. But the links between Gibney and John Mullins were well known.
    I really enjoyed this episode. The earlier episodes were moving a bit too slow. I am really looking forward to the last few episodes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does anything on Broadsheet have any credibility these days? They're the lads who supported Gemma and are giving a voice to the anti-maskers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Found today's episode disappointment after last week, thought they'd have more from that interview with the Irish guy in Tampa. All the in the car stuff feels very like filler, doesn't add much imo

Found today's episode disappointment after last week, thought they'd have more from that interview with the Irish guy in Tampa. All the in the car stuff feels very like filler, doesn't add much imo

I was surprised that that guy even went "on tape" tbh

Found it an interesting episode

Seems pretty obvious that it was him who sorted out the job offer thing for Gibney (year before the court case)

The keystone cops car stuff wasn't as bad this week either I thought as they actually revealed something to come out of it re where he was spending his time etc - before it was "they are in Walmart - quick let's hide in the ice-cream isle" type of thing.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote:
    Seems pretty obvious that it was him who sorted out the job offer thing for Gibney (year before the court case)

Yeah sounded like he was waiting for Mark to produce evidence he'd done it so didn't want to get caught lying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Raoul

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    It thinks its season 1 of serial.

The Aaron Dessner ( love the national) piano and Horgan masquerading as Sarah Koenig in the "car chases".

Yeah but to be fair Serial was one of the first type of those podcasts and almost in a way invented a whole genre of podcasts. So you can forgive that. This is years and years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

glasso wrote: »
    Seems like yer man Muchnik (the guy who has been covering Gibney in the US and pushing to get him followed up on) is not really impressed with the podcast

https://concussioninc.net/?p=14638

He has revised his opinion after hearing the latest episode; in fairness to him.
    But since Horgan has delivered big-time with Banks and there is more to come, it is not appropriate to dwell on what have become relatively small flaws.

There are complementary Irish broadcast and American journalistic approaches and emphases. Where Is George Gibney? now has justified its own, and has the juice to move forward toward real action holding Gibney and his many institutional enablers accountable.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/10/09/irvin-muchnick-finding-banks-and-giving-credit/

Yes well I thought myself that it was perhaps the best episode so far and as said was surprised that the Banks guy actually did the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

He has revised his opinion after hearing the latest episode; in fairness to him.

Yeah, well observed, thanks for that. He might be best staying quiet till the full podcast is revealed. It's clearly building the story to people not acquainted with the whole atrocity. A story he's more than familiar with. He could bit annoyed this telling is getting so much attention. That's human nature, he's put a lot of effort in to this and may feel he could have been part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Yeah, well observed, thanks for that. He might be best staying quiet till the full podcast is revealed. It's clearly building the story to people not acquainted with the whole atrocity. A story he's more than familiar with. He could bit annoyed this telling is getting so much attention. That's human nature, he's put a lot of effort in to this and may feel he could have been part of it.

He had a lot of valid points though and if you are dropping the episodes weekly it is fair to give your opinion on them weekly imo.

The podcast had delivered little in the first half of episodes, good that it is changing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

One thing this podcast has really done is given the vicitms a voice, which was so horribly denied to them via the Irish Court system. Regardless of any other criticism and if it achieves little else, allowing the victims the chance to tell their story is important.

Plus allows another demographic of people who may never of heard of GG hear first hand his despicable acts

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Larsso30 wrote: »
    One thing this podcast has really done is given the vicitms a voice, which was so horribly denied to them via the Irish Court system. Regardless of any other criticism and if it achieves little else, allowing the victims the chance to tell their story is important.

Plus allows another demographic of people who may never of heard of GG hear first hand his despicable acts

I couldn't agree more with this post.

I have no recollection of ever hearing the name George Gibney ( in my late 20s) so hearing all this for the first time is so despicable to think about what this mad did, and got away with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Beersmith wrote: »
    He had a lot of valid points though and if you are dropping the episodes weekly it is fair to give your opinion on them weekly imo.

The podcast had delivered little in the first half of episodes, good that it is changing that.

Yes, of course. Personally, I'd have waited till the final episode before talking. The podcast may not have delivered much on George Gibney in the first half of the episodes, but as Larsso30 pointed out it did give voice to the victims.

I think Muchnik was overseen and could have been an excellent inclusion to the podcast. He's obviously done a lot of groundwork and may have made and excellent interviewee. I think he'd agree with me on this!

Looking forward in a weird way to next Thursdays episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

He saw the light after he was name checked in the most recent episode :D

Agree with many that the private investigator routine is unnecessary and could have been omitted. It's hard to see how it will lead to anything other than a ten second confrontation in the next episode.

Just a query on Banks, I wasn't clear on the detail. Was it stated that the application for the green card was made the year before any abuse allegations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

radharc wrote: »

Just a query on Banks, I wasn't clear on the detail. Was it stated that the application for the green card was made the year before any abuse allegations?

Yes, it was before any allegations had come about. Honestly, the fact he acted sketchy in relation to the job offer reflected so poorly on him. It could certainly be interpreted in different ways, some of which are not good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

Just listened to ep 8
    So bloody frustrating. They faffed about and completely fûcked up the face to face. They should have lured the dirty fücker into a false sense of security or at least stirred him or his accomplice up.

The interviews at the end were good and I’m sure had some comforting affect on the victims

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Slideways wrote: »
    Just listened to ep 8
    So bloody frustrating. They faffed about and completely fûcked up the face to face. They should have lured the dirty fücker into a false sense of security or at least stirred him or his accomplice up.

The interviews at the end were good and I’m sure had some comforting affect on the victims

Yeah, it was really underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Underwhelming is the word alright. Didn't expect him to say much, but thought we might get something. Maybe I missed it, but did they never touch on who this man he's living with is? Seems strange if they didn't.

Slideways wrote: »
    Just listened to ep 8

I presume there's a lot of legal requirements for approaching and recording someone on the street like that. They probably had to say they were from BBC straight away, otherwise they couldn't use the footage. I can't think of any other reason why they'd take that tact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

To be fair, they were being dictated by the BBC and Florida state law. Not sure what people expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

To be fair, they were being dictated by the BBC and Florida state law. Not sure what people expected?

Yeah like I'm sure they could have done a rogue traders style charge at him and throw all the allegations but it would have guaranteed he would have fled.

Their approach gave a very slim chance he might engage but I don't think anyone realistically expected him to considering his history of absconding. It's not the actions of a man who wants to talk

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

I certainly never expected that Gibney would open up, regardless of the approach taken by the guys.

But it does make all the fluff around the stakeout over the past eight episodes a little more frustrating, now that we know there was no payoff in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭brick tamland

About the only thing i took out of it all was that his housemate/friend/partner is obviously fully aware of his allegations/past so now i wonder if he has a similar past too.

If there is new evidence and new victims coming forward could he be extradited and tried under our amended laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

About the only thing i took out of it all was that his housemate/friend/partner is obviously fully aware of his allegations/past so now i wonder if he has a similar past too.

If there is new evidence and new victims coming forward could he be extradited and tried under our amended laws?

Seriously doubt it after a highly advertised, BBC funded podcast was broadcast. Surely his immediate defence would be that society has already decided he's guilty and cannot get a free trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I really don't know how they expected anything to happen other than what did.

It was nice to hear an 'okie doke' from Bill though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Unsubscribed.

Overproduced muck. Have stuck it out to see if it inproved.

The parts in the car are nothingness convoluted in a way to make it sound like something is happening.

It's definitely dragged out and the reporter tries to make himself the center of it all. But nonetheless, I knew nothing about George Gibney so still found it very interesting. Surely he can't get away with it all.

interesting overall but all the car stuff proved unnecessary with that final episode. Coul have cut all that stuff and done a really good show in 4/5 episodes

• Advertisement

Gibney was never ever going to do an interview was he?

With that in mind the car surveillance stuff seems completely pointless from the start as there wasn't even a fart out of Gibney when they confronted him.

What will come out of the last 2 episodes- some more victim accounts by the sounds of it.

Advertisement