Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sept17

My tree tells a story too.. every year we get new decorations to add to the collection.. I love Christmas tree day - it’s like meeting old friends as all the decorations come out ! This year I think we may need to expand to a second tree , all my friends run the risk of swamping each other !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I started a tradition of getting a new decoration for my son each year. I got one with his name on it last year and I'm going to let him pick one each year, once he's old enough. This year I think we'll go with a Teddy Bear one as he just loves teddys!! Hopefully he'll be able to choose his own from next Christmas :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Not to put a dampener on it but my favourite decoration (including ones from Australia in the 80s, USA in the 90s etc, named ones for children etc etc) is a sparkly fabric sphere which the wife of a colleague of OH (I had never met either her or him) gave me the Christmas one of my parents died (died in December). This lady said she always made a decoration for people who had been bereaved. As I said, I had (and have) never met her but I was so touched by her gesture. That decoration is so important to me now.
    Ah, that is lovely. How kind of her. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was just thinking of the kind of presents I'd be trying to get for people this year. One thing for sure (and I probably mentioned it before), I won't repeat last years' stroke of genius... I got a lot of hotel vouchers... Like, €400 worth... I'm sure people were happy with them when they got them (at least they could've gone towards the cost of a meal, if not a full night's accommodation), but I doubt any of them had been used by March. :/

Oh dear!

I was in Chapters today, trying to buy a book for somebody's present, but left empty handed, as nothing really jumped out at me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Posy wrote: »
    Oh dear!

I was in Chapters today, trying to buy a book for somebody's present, but left empty handed, as nothing really jumped out at me.

What?!?! In Chapters?!?!?!? And you bought nothing at all??? What's wrong with you?!?!? (Yes, I know that's a lot of punctuation marks, but I'm THAT flabbergasted!!! Also, I'm soooo envious that you got to Chapters...)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lads tomorrow week we are into the 60's in the countdown and next Friday is the LAST double digit countdown in the number of weeks to Christmas!! It's beginning to get real now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Lads tomorrow week we are into the 60's in the countdown and next Friday is the LAST double digit countdown in the number of weeks to Christmas!! It's beginning to get real now!

Was only thinking that when updating the weekly countdown this morning, we'll be into single digits in no time at all. JUst need to get Halloween out of the way & we can go full on 'in season' :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Nice idea if stuck for space, but not for us, we more or less cover 90% of the tree with only the smallest area at the back lacking much in the way of baubles etc. But then again we've so many decorations both trees are pretty well covered anyway.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/half-christmas-trees-exist-people-22812585
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

It's useful, like you said, for people who are stuck for space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Someone on this forum was looking for one of those a few weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I quite like the slim Christmas trees you can get. Handy for apartments.

https://www.dunelm.com/product/6ft-pre-lit-kingswood-slim-christmas-tree-1000161354

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Batgurl wrote: »
    I quite like the slim Christmas trees you can get. Handy for apartments.

https://www.dunelm.com/product/6ft-pre-lit-kingswood-slim-christmas-tree-1000161354

I have an apartment but my sitting room is 20 feet long so finding a big tree was vital :D Back in our real tree days we'd spend entire weekends going from place to place to find the perfect one. Artificial now, I've got two depending on who's around to help me to put it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’m actually on the look out for a tree at the moment.
    However I don’t want it to be to slim or to wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I’m actually on the look out for a tree at the moment.
    However I don’t want it to be to slim or to wide.

Argos, Woodies or B&Q tend to have good ranges in this “early”.

Ya, I hope to get somewhere and have a look at one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Friday, another week almost wrapped up

Yes Caranica someone was looking for a slim tree I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was shopping in Pavillions in Swords last night to pick up a few bits for Christmas and bithdays and it was totally dead.I don't know how physical shops will keep open if it stays like this.It was quite depressing.It wasn't mad late either I was there by 20 past 6.

I picked up some of the Benefit sets on sale in boots and two books in easons.

I was shopping in Pavillions in Swords last night to pick up a few bits for Christmas and bithdays and it was totally dead.I don't know how physical shops will keep open if it stays like this.It was quite depressing.It wasn't mad late either I was there by 20 past 6.

I picked up some of the Benefit sets on sale in boots and two books in easons.

Ya, I feel sorry for shopping centers this year. Places like Boots used do a sales evening and shopping centers used do a customer evening and shops used offer 10% off or something and this won’t be possible this year!

Blanchardstown SC whilst being nowhere near as busy as normal isn't 'too' quiet anytime I've been up. The cafe & coffees shops & restaurants being closed or only doing take out seems to be having an impact though, normally they'd be bustling, as would the cinema, so seeing them all closed up looks odd. Have noticed queue's forming outside a good few shops now as well though which may be making the place look busier than it really is.

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    What?!?! In Chapters?!?!?!? And you bought nothing at all??? What's wrong with you?!?!? (Yes, I know that's a lot of punctuation marks, but I'm THAT flabbergasted!!! Also, I'm soooo envious that you got to Chapters...)
    I work just up the road from Chapters, I can drop in anytime I like. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I heard the controversial "Welcome to Grafton Quarter" Christmas lights they had up on Grafton Street last year are not being used this year! The "Nollaig Shona Duit" lights that were on Wicklow street are being used instead. Not all the usual streets will have lights this year though, but they haven't announced yet where will/won't be lit up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Had my annual trip to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop in Dublin today. No lunch to be had but still a lovely experience. Bought six gorgeous decorations: one for my mother in law, two for my best friends and three for me, my husband and son. Delighted. :)

Had my annual trip to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop in Dublin today. No lunch to be had but still a lovely experience. Bought six gorgeous decorations: one for my mother in law, two for my best friends and three for me, my husband and son. Delighted. :)

Although it's how you want it to be at this time, it just looks so empty! None of the usual hustle and bustle that you associate with Christmas shopping.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Although it's how you want it to be at this time, it just looks so empty! None of the usual hustle and bustle that you associate with Christmas shopping.

It still is early October. The shopping will pick up.

I was in BT last October and it was like that empty. I went again in December and it was packed with people.

Loughc wrote: »
    It still is early October. The shopping will pick up.

I was in BT last October and it was like that empty. I went again in December and it was packed with people.

True, not everyone is in full on Christmas mode from the end of the summer!!!

I really feel like there is not enough stock in yet in certain shops for the demand, I know I am not the only one looking to get sorted early this year

I want to avoid making numerous trips to the shops as it is not needed, but what's there at the minute is not making this possible

I think people might turn to online as a result of this,

I have a list of things that I will shop local for but the goods are not in stock at the minute that is out of my control and I want to support these businesses, I know they will accept payment over the phone and arrange delivery for me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Woodies have all their trees in, waiting for homestore and more to get theirs in now.

OH gone for the weekly shop Queue’s to get in
    We haven’t seen it like that since April

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I plan to do as much online as possible.

Advertisement