Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who smokes anymore ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    What makes you think they are not working just because they are having a smoke?

If they are responsible for answering the phone then they are being irresponsible for smoking when they should be doing their jobs. That is an issue for HR.

It has nothing to do with you though, unless it is your responsibility to manage what they do?

If I’m working there it’s everything to do with me. ;) as it would be for others if I was taking multiple breaks throughout the day to indulge in a hobby like smoking cigarettes, watching tv in the canteen or whatever else. That will negatively impact my productivity as well as the working day of colleagues.

An issue for HR maybe but the issue for them too is the manager not managing the situation or his employees. ;)

If they are legally entitled to the break to be in compliance with the Organization of Working Time Act they get the break, if they are not entitled to it, they don’t get to down tools and wander off at will because they like smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Smoking is part of many peoples lives... and it does serve as a prop to convey all manner of emotional messages. Perhaps just add an age requirement to movies/TV shows that contain smoking...

Does that really go far enough though? Kids will always end up watching adult rated movies eventually after they've come onto TV or netflix etc.

Dying from smoking is also part of people's lives...

Artistic merit Vs saving lives. It's very hard to argue that artistic merit should take priority... and life very often imitates art when it comes to trends out in society. And vice versa.

Smoking is part of many peoples lives... and it does serve as a prop to convey all manner of emotional messages. Perhaps just add an age requirement to movies/TV shows that contain smoking...

It is. As though is having a few beers, a daily walk and various other hobbies and pursuits. None of which are enabled to be done by your employer during working hours. I just disagree that employers should enable just smokers to take about 45 minutes extra to an hour extra of breaks a day because they choose to smoke.

Does that really go far enough though? Kids will always end up watching adult rated movies eventually after they've come onto TV or netflix etc.

Dying from smoking is also part of people's lives...

Artistic merit Vs saving lives. It's very hard to argue that artistic merit should take priority... and life very often imitates art when it comes to trends out in society. And vice versa.

Well, if we're talking about Ireland, perhaps ask the question why kids can afford to buy cigarettes, when many adults struggle with the cost. The numbers managing to steal enough smokes to start a habit, from their parents would be tiny.

In any case, by your logic we should be removing alcohol entirely from movies, and maybe sex too, because children might see it. Age restrictions are sensible but, let's be honest here, movies aren't where kids are going to see smoking happening. They're going to see it around them. Anyway, I'm not a big fan of censorship of aspects which are related to adult activities.

I said a long time ago about smoking in Ireland... just make it illegal and people won't be able to continue their habits. Instead, we have increases in the cost... it's immoral.

Strumms wrote: »
    It is. As though is having a few beers, a daily walk and various other hobbies and pursuits. None of which are enabled to be done by your employer during working hours. I just disagree that employers should enable just smokers to take about 45 minutes extra to an hour extra of breaks a day because they choose to smoke.

I honestly don't know about that. I haven't worked in Ireland for over a decade, when I did, we ran our own company... and trust me, we weren't taking any kind of breaks like that. When I did work abroad, there was very little tolerance for smokers going out for a smoke apart from during their official breaks. In fact, when I did go to smoke, we were forced to go to a shelter a fair distance from the company grounds.. that was fairly common, in my experience. But.. I don't know how it is in Ireland.

I don't have a problem with smokers being prevented from smoking when they should be working... during their official breaks they can do as they please, as long as they're back to work on time. No?

• Advertisement

I honestly don't know about that. I haven't worked in Ireland for over a decade, when I did, we ran our own company... and trust me, we weren't taking any kind of breaks like that. When I did work abroad, there was very little tolerance for smokers going out for a smoke apart from during their official breaks. In fact, when I did go to smoke, we were forced to go to a shelter a fair distance from the company grounds.. that was fairly common, in my experience. But.. I don't know how it is in Ireland.

I don't have a problem with smokers being prevented from smoking when they should be working... during their official breaks they can do as they please, as long as they're back to work on time. No?

I agree. It was just rampant in my last job. The head of department and director were both smokers.

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you smoke you probably can't even taste the nice meal!

Not really. It differs depending on the individuals biology and how much they smoke (along with the amount of Tar in the cigs. The tar when burned really affects taste and smell). I have issues with really 'light' tastes.. the really subtle ones, which you find in the more expensive restaurants.. everything else I taste fine (comparable to when I stopped smoking).

Strumms wrote: »
    I agree. It was just rampant in my last job. The head of department and director were both smokers.

Well... with international companies, I've found them to be fair about smoking. Smoking has designated areas, removed from the general area of the building. Smoking only happens during official break periods, although the occasional quick smoke is allowed, but any kind of regular application of that would be marked on your employment record.

The thing is... smokers aren't generally tolerated any more than other habits, like people playing on their phones for social media or other nonsense during work hours. At least, in my experience, they're not... but again, I don't really know how it operates in Ireland anymore.

I'd wager by 2030 the rate of cigarette-smoking will go from 18% now to under 10%. In 2010, say, smoking still seemed to me to be something fairly normal to do (was never a regular smoker but occasionally smoked one or two on nights out) but in the past few years it has already seemed like hugely exceptional for anybody in my social circles to smoke, be it friends, family, extended family, work colleagues etc.

I wonder how many will still smoke specifically cigarettes by 2040, considering the cost, the dying off of older smokers, current smokers quitting, younger people not being attracted towards taking it up (how often do you see somebody on instagram smoking..), young people no longer growing up in households where somebody else smokes etc. There have been huge changes in the past 20 years with regard to the prevalence and perception of smoking and I'd imagine the next 20 years will see it become a total relic of the past, like taking snuff or eating findus crispy pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Unfortunately I still smoke. I know it's terribly bad for you, kills millions, etc, etc, but I can't seem to stay off them. It really does help calm me down if I'm stressed (even if it's a placebo), and while I have been able to give up before I always end up back here. Longest I was off them in the last 20 years is just over a year, stress of the job got me back on them.

When I was a heavy weed smoker before the lockdown, I reckon I hadn't smoked a tobacco only rollie in about 6 months, and no cravings, even in the mornings when I wouldn't smoke weed I didn't miss them. But since it's been harder to get/i'm cutting back on that anyway, I'm back to smoking when I'm not smoking weed. Once I have my first joint, I don't touch tobacco only rollies until the following day.

Was on the vape for a couple of years too, but that ended up giving me monthly chest infections and made my breathing heavier in general (the opposite of it's effect when I first starting using a vape, it did a complete 180). I think vapes are good science but dangerous because of all the companies trying to make money from it and as a result having inferior ingredients/parts.

I'd love to give up completely but any time I have managed to stay off it for a long period, it's because I reached a part in my life where I was ready to give it another go. I'm not ready right now and I know through trial and error that I need to be ready for it to even stand a chance. I won't know when that is until I know, could be tomorrow, could be next year. But when I know, I have the best chance of giving up, save for life getting in the way and driving me back to them.

Don't know how people still smoke pre-packaged cigarettes though. They are simply muck in comparison to rollie tobacco. I don't get coughing from rollies, but if I smoked a cigarette my lungs would fall out. As for the companies, they won't disappear, they'll just change from cigarettes to cannabis. Also, as a smoker, I'm dead set against smokers getting specified smoking breaks. Smoke at the same time as your breaks, there's nothing special about you needing extra breaks to feed your habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I need to take up a new habit. Not smoking. But something that eases my stress levels ..not drinking either ....heroine?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

4176d7344f75c646ae9e0680997198f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I need to take up a new habit. Not smoking. But something that eases my stress levels ..not drinking either ....heroine?

Cannabis edibles

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I utterly despise smoking and I have a very very low opinion of smokers. In fact I consciously do not associate with smokers...not that hard as none of my social circle or family or even work colleagues smoke.

I doubt smokers will be particularly disappointed that you don't want to spend time with them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mules wrote: »
    I doubt smokers will be particularly disappointed that you don't want to spend time with them

Oh boo hoo....considering the very low opinion I have of smokers it is fair to say that I couldnt care less...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Oh boo hoo....considering the very low opinion I have of smokers it is fair to say that I couldnt care less...:D

I think everyone knows how you feel about smokers at this stage in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Looking back on my LC class from 25 years ago. There was about 120 in the year and divided into 4 classes based on ability.

The 'A' class were the academically minded with pupils striving for 500 points and above. I can safely say 90 if not 100% of that class went on to university (medicine, engineering, actuary, finance, law, veterinary science all the usual solid degrees). Actually, I cannot think of any pupil from that class that did not go to university. Also contained several inter county minor hurlers and footballers.

The ‘B’ class were also academically aspirational but ability wise not good enough for the ‘A’ class.

The ‘C’ class were not blessed with brains but were grafters. Contained quite a few moody grunge heads well into their Nirvana/Soundgarden (this was the early to mid- 90s). A bit too cool for school and proud smokers. I’d say they hated their parents…well I think they hated everyone and everything really.

The ‘D’ class were just hanging in there just to sit the LC. Absolutely zero ambition and a right bunch of clowns. The school authorities were somewhat embarrassed to have them in the school. Defo a few of the lads had learning difficulties unfortunately. The soundest lads in the year but they had no interest which is fine. They didn’t play any sport either.

Funny that when I look back, I genuinely cannot recall any smokers in the ‘A’ class and the vast majority came from the ‘C’ and ‘D’ class in the toilets and behind the dressing rooms. It seems that the proportion of smokers increased dramatically as the level of ambition decreased. We had a 20 year class reunion a few years ago and the C and D students still smoked and my God the years have not been kind.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal and of course there are judges, doctors, etc that smoke.

Look back on your school year- how many of the A/B honours students smoked compared to the less diligent students. There is no way that my summary above is unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Look back on your school year- how many of the A/B honours students smoked compared to the less diligent students. There is no way that my summary above is unique.

I sat my leaving cert in 2006 and I was in the top academic class in my year. I smoked through my teens and a lot of my twenties. It's not that people aren't clever enough to know that smoking is bad for them.

Socio-economic factors seemed to have more of an influence on level of smoking when I was younger. Socio-economic factors can also influence how academic someone is.

What has it got to do with why you don't like smokers though?

Looking back on my LC class from 25 years ago. There was about 120 in the year and divided into 4 classes based on ability.

The 'A' class were the academically minded with pupils striving for 500 points and above. I can safely say 90 if not 100% of that class went on to university (medicine, engineering, actuary, finance, law, veterinary science all the usual solid degrees). Actually, I cannot think of any pupil from that class that did not go to university. Also contained several inter county minor hurlers and footballers.

The ‘B’ class were also academically aspirational but ability wise not good enough for the ‘A’ class.

The ‘C’ class were not blessed with brains but were grafters. Contained quite a few moody grunge heads well into their Nirvana/Soundgarden (this was the early to mid- 90s). A bit too cool for school and proud smokers. I’d say they hated their parents…well I think they hated everyone and everything really.

The ‘D’ class were just hanging in there just to sit the LC. Absolutely zero ambition and a right bunch of clowns. The school authorities were somewhat embarrassed to have them in the school. Defo a few of the lads had learning difficulties unfortunately. The soundest lads in the year but they had no interest which is fine. They didn’t play any sport either.

Funny that when I look back, I genuinely cannot recall any smokers in the ‘A’ class and the vast majority came from the ‘C’ and ‘D’ class in the toilets and behind the dressing rooms. It seems that the proportion of smokers increased dramatically as the level of ambition decreased. We had a 20 year class reunion a few years ago and the C and D students still smoked and my God the years have not been kind.

Of course, this is purely anecdotal and of course there are judges, doctors, etc that smoke.

I woke up at five today. Cooked myself a good breakfast, made a coffee, and went to the gym at six. Went to work and did a good job, including walking over 6,000 steps. I had a cigarette on the way to work and one after.

When you go into essays all the way back to secondary school, maybe you should focus on yourself and not worry about others. It sounds like your sense of self worth relies upon your comparative standing with others, and picking at things you don't agree with is your way of feeding that.

Disliking smoking is fine. Not wanting smokers smoking around you is fine. But your craving of some angle to be better than others says a lot, and wishing a horrible death upon them suggests you're not really feeling the best about yourself. You wouldn't be concerned with others and their choices if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Such ****e. Luckily the C and D lads are still clever enough to be able to ripe off the A lads by charging 60 euro call out to plumb the washing machine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If she smokes she pokes.

i used to get the ride off a bird in Loreto when I was a teenager. She is a GP in Boston now, very clever girl and a bear in the sack. Up until she got married I used to get the odd one when she was home for Christmas.

She would hoover down packets of Marlboro, Camel or Silk Cut when she was home. A bear in the sack.

I grew up in the 80s when most people smoked. It was "a thing". It was also very common when I was in my teens or early 20s, especially among professionals working in Finance. Even later, it was extremely common among people with high stress related jobs, so I doubt there's any real connection between smoking and intelligence.

I get the feeling that people are conveniently forgetting what Ireland was like before... and how it's only in the last twenty years that the disapproval about smoking has really gained momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    If she smokes she pokes.

i used to get the ride off a bird in Loreto when I was a teenager. She is a GP in Boston now, very clever girl and a bear in the sack. Up until she got married I used to get the odd one when she was home for Christmas.

She would hoover down packets of Marlboro, Camel or Silk Cut when she was home. A bear in the sack.

If she pokes she's a bloke.

The thing that amazes me, is how hollywood and the film industry still gets away with portraying smoking as being cool and edgy...

Most of the time I see smoking in film/tv its generally to portray the 'bad guy' in the show. Usually a habit associated with the character we don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭AllForIt

During my 'courting' days- a women smoking was an absolute turn off. No questions asked.

MV5BZjcxNmU5ZWMtY2RkNC00ZjUwLWJiMjEtYWRkM2Q2NzYxZjAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjgzMTEzNDU@._V1_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There is definitely a correlation between the top class and less smokers alright.

There's also a similar correlation between the top class and being virgins till 25+ :D

I was in the top class all through school and smoked from 17, as well as drank and got up to all sorts. Some of us had the natural ability to do both :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nice thread. None of the smokers gives a rats about secondary smoke and its effects. None admit to it causing cancer and other horrible illnesses. Plus loss of sense of taste and smell, too. Grossest thing is to work out in a gym next to someone who had smoked prior to their workout, the stench oozes out of them.

It's an addiction, plain and simple. If it weren't, Hotels wouldn't need to fine smokers for fouling rooms and furnishings. Smokers traditionally asked for non-smoking rooms when that was an option, they were nice and clean and the smokers liked that. Left them behind as foul smell pits, but that was smoker's attitudes.

Ireland's government hasn't pushed no-smoking hard enough. Still run into aggressive smoker arseholes that smoke openly in pubs. Best thing about lockdown is that's over. For now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAaGbsHBacE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭BobMc

Dont know how anyone can afford them with the prices so eye watering.

Not a smoker myself, but do smokers ever do the maths on it ?? was partial to the very odd one in late teens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Smoking since I was 13, ill be 40 fairly soon. Worked in pubs all my life so it was around me non stop til the workplace ban. I enjoy one after a very busy period because it calms me down. The first fag in the morning and after dinner are a must. Might give myself a present for my 40th and quit. Might

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

my experience is people start smoking when they are teens , it may be seen as cool especially in working class area,s .
    Smoking is very addictive ,its hard to stop.i know someone who stopped smoking age 54.He went to the doctor and was told it was having a negative effect on his health.
    smoking is an expensive habit, maybe its not cool anymore, you cannot smoke at work ,in pubs or restaurants .
    i dont think anyone starts smoking age 25 or 30.
    You start young or else you never smoke at all .

Advertisement