Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Newdawn11

Thanks very much for the reply. Enjoy your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

El Guapo! wrote: »
    My timeline was as follows:

April 20th: Submitted initial mortgage application.

April 29th: Received AIP

Lockdown delayed viewings.

June 8th: Sale Agreed on new build.

Big delays on paperwork etc. Valuation took 5 weeks to complete due to restrictions. During this time we received multiple letters from developers threatening to pull deal if we didn't move quicker. This was out of our control though and we managed to calm them down.

Aug 20th: Received letter of offer. Due to backlogs, this took 3 weeks to receive from the time it was requested.

Then there were numerous other delays. My solicitor waiting for paperwork, waiting for HTB funds etc.

Sept 28th: Requested drawdown.

Sept 30th: Mortgage funds received by solicitor.

Oct 1st: Received keys.

Congrats! We have requested funds for next Wednesday but was told not to hold our breath for that day :(.
    Did your solicitor put the requisition in for the 28th or did they just request on 28th and receive on 30th?
    Enjoy your new home. Cannot wait to get ours over the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

brisan wrote: »
    How can you be sure the bids are genuine.
    Could be the vendors family pushing price up.

Not like a normal auction where you are legally obliged to hand over cash on the day and lose it if you cannot complete

How is it any less likely to be genuine than an estate agent that does not have a online bidding platform? The same could be said of those too. Having looked at two properties and followed the bidding, i'd be extremely surprised if either weren't genuine. One struggled to get over the asking and having viewed it myself, i could see why. The other was really nice, huge interest at the viewing I attended, so not surprising there was a bidding war, which was on a similar scale to another property without the online bidding platform.

Regardless of the type of agent, aren't they required to track all bids for audit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

givyjoe wrote: »
    How is it any less likely to be genuine than an estate agent that does not have a online bidding platform? The same could be said of those too. Having looked at two properties and followed the bidding, i'd be extremely surprised if either weren't genuine. One struggled to get over the asking and having viewed it myself, i could see why. The other was really nice, huge interest at the viewing I attended, so not surprising there was a bidding war, which was on a similar scale to another property without the online bidding platform.

Regardless of the type of agent, aren't they required to track all bids for audit?

Track bids yes
    But their is no onus on the bidders to prove they have the funds required or even AIP
    You can bid ,be the highest bidder and when you win say Sorry I have changed my mind "
    EA then contacts the next highest bidder
    Not saying it happens but its open to abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

givyjoe wrote: »
    Precisely the same thing on a house I was watching. 325 asking, high bid of 341 for a week or so, 345 for the last day and then during the last three hours it ended up at 375. Madness.

Would be interesting to see how many of those actually closed. I’m sure after a sit down and a good think about paying 50k over asking people would feel they got carried away and pull out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

brisan wrote: »
    Track bids yes
    But their is no onus on the bidders to prove they have the funds required or even AIP
    You can bid ,be the highest bidder and when you win say Sorry I have changed my mind "
    EA then contacts the next highest bidder
    Not saying it happens but its open to abuse

Exactly the same as bidding without an online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for replies regarding Auction Era. Based on the current market the bids for the property would be in and around what I’d expect in a “normal” estate agent bidding war, maybe slightly below. There are very few houses on the market in my price range and preferred areas that are as nice this one for my budget. In fact most of a similar size and location have either been awful or have gone for a lot over asking. I have a limit which I’m happy to pay for the property and will be sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

GrumPy wrote: »
    Here is a timeline of what my partner and I have experienced, it may help others get an idea of the process - certainly illustrates the pain we have come up against so far!
    I'm sure other examples are shorter and also longer, really depends on a bit of luck... Our agent let us down by sitting on their thumb for 4 weeks. :rolleyes:

tmvmSzL

So still no sign of contracts, my solicitor emailed to let me know.
    I rang the office to ask what the f*ck is going on (I was much more polite), and was told that nothing can be done or investigated until Monday when the particular individual returns from leave.
    I'm not even angry at this point, I'd describe it more of a calm-murderous sensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can anyone tell me, once the builder has submitted the homebound, electric, gas, water and ber certs how long they take to process and allow for contracts to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Hi all,
    We have put a deposit down on a new build, won’t be ready until June/July next year. We are due to sign contracts in the next few weeks and I understand we have to pay the 10% deposit by then (availing of HTB so assuming this will cover the majority). What sort of protection do we have (if any) on the deposit as we will have to reapply for mortgage in 2021 (touch wood no change in circumstances)? Is it possible to protect the full deposit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 rookieMan

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We have put a deposit down on a new build, won’t be ready until June/July next year. We are due to sign contracts in the next few weeks and I understand we have to pay the 10% deposit by then (availing of HTB so assuming this will cover the majority). What sort of protection do we have (if any) on the deposit as we will have to reapply for mortgage in 2021 (touch wood no change in circumstances)? Is it possible to protect the full deposit?

i think solicitors have started putting in clauses in contracts allowing for deposits to be refunded in case mortgage cannot be drawdown due to covid. I maybe wrong though because I heard this from a friend. Its best to discuss this with your solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Vanilla Cupcake

Hi all,

Our solicitor put subject to loan/finance in the contract on our new build. It's a standard clause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Our solicitor put subject to loan/finance in the contract on our new build. It's a standard clause.

+1

Do this.

Some builders will push against it but eventually agree to it when pressed. Others may not entertain it at all.

Personally, I'd walk away if the other party won't accept a subject to finance clause. It's just too much of a risk, even more so in the current environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Thank you! Do you know if that includes the initial booking deposit as well as the HTB part?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thank you! Do you know if that includes the initial booking deposit as well as the HTB part?

My understanding is that the booking deposit is to the estate agent and is protected and can be returned to you on request.

I have done so in the past. Had a deposit on a house, but found that there was a boundary issue that couldn't be solved easily, had contracts signed and move in date agreed... Had to back out of the purchase and claimed to deposit back.

The booking deposit is refundable up until you sign the contracts. The HTB I'm not sure about as we did this process last week and our house is completed so we are hoping to get keys in next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

quick question, what is the penalty for a seller that pulls out of the contract? I mean, if they pull out after signing contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Glory83

Glory83 wrote: »
    Thank you very much indeed for your kind and elaborate response.
    I am lucky because I am not in a chain sale where as the vendor is. That expalins why the contracts were exchanged shortly after we went sale agreed. My loan offer is ready. The issue is vendor's solicitor is reluctant to certify that the copy he shared with my solicitor contains all the conditions and entitlements as the original one. Hence we are waiting for them to cooperate. I believe the vendor will not be able to sell their property anyway if they do not provide such a document to any potential buyer, is that correct?

It seems the sale might fall through. The vendor's solicitor saying the documents they provided are sufficient to close the sale and refuse to certify the copy they shared with my solicitor. My solicitor is advising me against that saying there might be surprises coming afterwards if they do not certify that the copy they shaed containst all the conditions and entitlements under the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Had anyone recently had an letter of offer issued by AIB. How long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The buyers solicitor isn't responding to emails chasing signed contract . Time to start worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

ElitesTeam wrote: »
    Had anyone recently had an letter of offer issued by AIB. How long did it take?

I'm also waiting for one . For me its just few days of waiting- I heard that there are delays ..

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Meraf wrote: »
    I'm also waiting for one . For me its just few days of waiting- I heard that there are delays ..

Yeah same for me. Just want an expected timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

quick question, what is the penalty for a seller that pulls out of the contract? I mean, if they pull out after signing contracts
    The seller can be sued for Specific Performance and/or damages.

We have just got approval in principle subject to clearing a small car loan.
    Does anyone know if this has to be cleared prior to letter of loan offer being issued (have sale agreed a house and booking deposit paid-bank valuation this week) or cleared by drawdown? Thanks in advance.

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    We have just got approval in principle subject to clearing a small car loan.
    Does anyone know if this has to be cleared prior to letter of loan offer being issued (have sale agreed a house and booking deposit paid-bank valuation this week) or cleared by drawdown? Thanks in advance.

We were in the same situation. We cleared the car loan the week we received the loan offer letter. Then sent the bank the letter from the other bank showing loan cleared. We were anxious to clear it asap as we didnt want it holding things up.

We were in the same situation. We cleared the car loan the week we received the loan offer letter. Then sent the bank the letter from the other bank showing loan cleared. We were anxious to clear it asap as we didnt want it holding things up.

Great, thanks for reply. I am happy to clear it ASAP but want to have the loan offer letter first.

Newdawn11 wrote: »
    Great, thanks for reply. I am happy to clear it ASAP but want to have the loan offer letter first.

Sorry I just checked my emails there and we actually cleared the car loan before we got the loan offer letter! I would double check with your bank what way they want you to do it.

Sorry I just checked my emails there and we actually cleared the car loan before we got the loan offer letter! I would double check with your bank what way they want you to do it.

Thanks-will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Level 5 recommended. Things are going to take a turn

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1004/1169272-coronarvirus-ireland/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

Does anyone know what this means for things like furniture deliveries and assembly etc?

Advertisement