Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman fined 100€ for breaking lockdown 2km limit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That crinkling, rustling sound you hear when you move....that's your tinfoil hat OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-32-fined-for-breaching-covid-19-lockdown-in-bid-to-stroll-on-salthill-prom-with-boyfriend-39537427.html

Not all people lie to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-32-fined-for-breaching-covid-19-lockdown-in-bid-to-stroll-on-salthill-prom-with-boyfriend-39537427.html

She admitted to breaking the rules:
    Mr Hassett told Ennis District Court that his client intended to walk the prom in Salthill in Galway with her then boyfriend before returning home to Limerick.

Person prosecuted in law break shocker

Maybe every thread on covid should start in conspiracy theories forum until checked by a mod

Op, did you read the part where her ex partner can't attend court as he's suspected covid positive?

Behavioral pattern possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons ]

I suppose she wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Allinall wrote: »
    Not all people lie to the guards.

Not all people were traveling 50+ miles to go for a walk by the seaside during lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not all people were traveling 50+ miles to go for a walk by the seaside during lockdown.

well it seems this numty did and she got caught.
    nothing to see here.
    just more fo-outrage over nothing.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just goes to show how garbled the messages from Gov are. Never knew about the potential fine. Must take care now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jesus Christ, going to court over €100 ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mrcheez wrote: »

The value of €100 to you might be the value of €1000 to someone else. There were times in my life where I lived on €250 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

GarIT wrote: »
    The value of €100 to you might be the value of €1000 to someone else. There were times in my life where I lived on €250 a month.

Sure but I'm just surprised a court is held over such amounts, and a judge attends.

Surely the Judge earns that just for sitting down and stretching their legs.

Was this small claims court or something bigger?

Sure but I'm just surprised a court is held over such amounts, and a judge attends.

Surely the Judge earns that just for sitting down and stretching their legs.

Was this small claims court or something bigger?

Its a criminal court and it was the judge that decided the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Does seem a ridiculous waste of court time. Why not just fine her on the spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

pinkyeye wrote: »

To make others think twice. It's only a hundred euro, but who wants to be going to court over it?

Stay Free

pinkyeye wrote: »

Because there's no allowance in law for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Because there's no allowance in law for that?

Is there not? I didn't realise that, sorry. If you're caught speeding etc. fine on the spot, I just presumed the same applied to these laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Named and shamed. Fine not onerous as nobody got sick or hurt. But this will follow her for life. Work visas, holidays to us. Any job that requires Garda vetting. Justice done unless she is a career layabout scrounger
    Edit on 2nd thoughts re-reading the article. Hmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Could she not claim a defense of....

Seamus Woulfe "did not break any law or knowingly breach any guidelines"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Named and shamed. Fine not onerous as nobody got sick or hurt. But this will follow her for life. Work visas, holidays to us. Any job that requires Garda vetting. Justice done unless she is a career layabout scrounger

You're wrong and it's slightly weird how much pleasure your taking in this.....

• Advertisement

When the pillars of society are weak, and don't face consequences, how can be expect people to be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Maybe they were planning on taking another form of exercise together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

why was a bus running if you can't travel

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Essential journeys on public transport

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Essential travel for work/education

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Just goes to show how garbled the messages from Gov are. Never knew about the potential fine. Must take care now!

Nor me and I broke that 2km and 5km and whatever else km tons of times.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Nor me and I broke that 2km and 5km and whatever else km tons of times.

A tonne is a unit measurement for mass. No wonder you broke the rules unknowingly :p

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There is more to this, id say she was taking the piss out of the Garda, I was stopped outside of the 2km limit back in the summer at a Garda checkpoint.

If you take a look at her, she looks like a skanger.

Cant see her even having the money for a holiday in the USA. Never mind even getting ESTA or a Visa.

I was not brought to court.

I just got words of guidance and a producer for not having my licence on my person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

On Garda radar for what other reasons? Do tell? Care to expand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kravmaga wrote: »
    On Garda radar for what other reasons? Do tell? Care to expand?

the poster has closed their account so we will never know.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

What's with all the new opened accounts posting anti Garda crap then running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Is the 2km limit still in effect or did this happen months and only just recently ended up in court? I haven't heard anything the 2km limit in months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Is the 2km limit still in effect or did this happen months and only just recently ended up in court? I haven't heard anything the 2km limit in months.

It happened months ago!

She was essentially in court for lying to a Garda- had she said she just wanted a break the guard would have advised her to turn around and go back home- no more about it.

Mr Hassett told the court that Ms O’Keeffe panicked when she told gardaí that she was on her way to see a sick relative in Galway.

Mr Hassett stated that Ms O’Keeffe, of Ballynanty Road, Limerick, regrets saying that and regrets boarding the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

If what she says is true and she is a full time career for her mother in a wheelchair she is paid the princely sum of €1.50 hour for her caring duties by the state. She did not leave the house since Christmas. I would imagine she needed to get away and see her boyfriend for her own mental health. Why is Covid the only thing that matters In the country?

How much did golf gate attendees get fined as a proportion of their wages? What about the judge that attended? What a sham.

• Advertisement

wellwhynot wrote: »
    If what she says is true and she is a full time career for her mother in a wheelchair she is paid the princely sum of €1.50 hour for her caring duties by the state. She did not leave the house since Christmas. I would imagine she needed to get away and see her boyfriend for her own mental health. Why is Covid the only thing that matters In the country?

How much did golf gate attendees get fined as a proportion of their wages? What about the judge that attended? What a sham.

What about

What about

What about

They was a law, she broke it and got fined 100 euro. The other people didn't break a law but one still lost his job which was worth 100% of his income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

wellwhynot wrote: »

I'm a full time carer too. During lock down I didn't see my partner at all (who lives in the same town) to protect the person I'm caring for. She left her mother alone (if she didn't and someone else came into the house while she was away that was also against lock down rules) she got onto public transport (mixing with others and further putting her mother at risk) with the intention of mixing with someone outside her home for a 'walk' (my ass). I'm glad you're concerned for the lack of breaks we carers are getting. Day services were supposed to open last month but won't now because the rate of community transmission makes it unsafe to do so. Because people won't follow the guidelines. Thanks to idiots like this woman I've been on call 24hrs a day for 6 months without a single break and no idea when I'll get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

How on earth is this newsworthy? We have really well and truly lost the run of ourselves.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    How on earth is this newsworthy? We have really well and truly lost the run of ourselves.

It would be great to say because there was **** all else going on but in reality, its lazy journalism. the majority of what happens in the criminal courts never makes the papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She was a carer to a vulnerable at risk person but needed a beach walk in Galway, no beach walks near her own place, fine her more and now fine all the house party organisers and part takers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

She was essentially in court for lying to a Garda- had she said she just wanted a break the guard would have advised her to turn around and go back home- no more about it.

Unfortunately, the driver refused because he had to get his bus to its destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It happened months ago!

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Jayzus, I remember the 2k limit and there was the river Fergus 2k away lough inchiquinn 2.5 k but as the country man hops over fences it was 1.765432 k away

Then there was the green roads, and I'd stop at the 2k mark, like a guide biy I'd stop and turn around, I'd a few stones in a pile at the side of the road, and when it went to 5k I replaced the stones back to their sacred spot.

Ament I a great lad, validate me please, validate my integrity...

I'm an ACHIEVER, I'M AN ACHIEVER..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

nthclare wrote: »
    Jayzus, I remember the 2k limit and there was the river Fergus 2k away lough inchiquinn 2.5 k but as the country man hops over fences it was 1.765432 k away......

I'm an ACHIEVER, I'M AN ACHIEVER..

That's given me the best giggle this week. Deserves one of those gold stars thingys, or even a clear nights sky full of the real ones :D Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

speckle wrote: »
    That's given me the best giggle this week. Deserves one of those gold stars thingys, or even a clear nights sky full of the real ones :D Thanks

With spwinkels of likkle ghold, sthaawes and a pat on the back.

And more validation, I want to be like Fwank in akkounts and be the best biy, and like Niamh in procurement... They vewwy good wokewaws, de boss like dem...

:):):):)

Advertisement