Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman fined 100€ for breaking lockdown 2km limit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That crinkling, rustling sound you hear when you move....that's your tinfoil hat OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-32-fined-for-breaching-covid-19-lockdown-in-bid-to-stroll-on-salthill-prom-with-boyfriend-39537427.html

Not all people lie to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-32-fined-for-breaching-covid-19-lockdown-in-bid-to-stroll-on-salthill-prom-with-boyfriend-39537427.html

She admitted to breaking the rules:
    Mr Hassett told Ennis District Court that his client intended to walk the prom in Salthill in Galway with her then boyfriend before returning home to Limerick.

Person prosecuted in law break shocker

Maybe every thread on covid should start in conspiracy theories forum until checked by a mod

Op, did you read the part where her ex partner can't attend court as he's suspected covid positive?

Behavioral pattern possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I am a bit suspicious of this story, why didn't she just tell the gardai that she was going shopping for essential goods not available locally. It seems to me that the gardai used lockdown as an opportunity to prosecute people who are on their radar for other reasons ]

I suppose she wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Double O Seven

Allinall wrote: »
    Not all people lie to the guards.

Not all people were traveling 50+ miles to go for a walk by the seaside during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not all people were traveling 50+ miles to go for a walk by the seaside during lockdown.

well it seems this numty did and she got caught.
    nothing to see here.
    just more fo-outrage over nothing.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just goes to show how garbled the messages from Gov are. Never knew about the potential fine. Must take care now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Jesus Christ, going to court over €100 ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mrcheez wrote: »

The value of €100 to you might be the value of €1000 to someone else. There were times in my life where I lived on €250 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

GarIT wrote: »
    The value of €100 to you might be the value of €1000 to someone else. There were times in my life where I lived on €250 a month.

Sure but I'm just surprised a court is held over such amounts, and a judge attends.

Surely the Judge earns that just for sitting down and stretching their legs.

Was this small claims court or something bigger?

Sure but I'm just surprised a court is held over such amounts, and a judge attends.

Surely the Judge earns that just for sitting down and stretching their legs.

Was this small claims court or something bigger?

Its a criminal court and it was the judge that decided the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Does seem a ridiculous waste of court time. Why not just fine her on the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

pinkyeye wrote: »

To make others think twice. It's only a hundred euro, but who wants to be going to court over it?

Stay Free

pinkyeye wrote: »

Because there's no allowance in law for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Because there's no allowance in law for that?

Is there not? I didn't realise that, sorry. If you're caught speeding etc. fine on the spot, I just presumed the same applied to these laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Named and shamed. Fine not onerous as nobody got sick or hurt. But this will follow her for life. Work visas, holidays to us. Any job that requires Garda vetting. Justice done unless she is a career layabout scrounger
    Edit on 2nd thoughts re-reading the article. Hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Could she not claim a defense of....

Seamus Woulfe "did not break any law or knowingly breach any guidelines"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Named and shamed. Fine not onerous as nobody got sick or hurt. But this will follow her for life. Work visas, holidays to us. Any job that requires Garda vetting. Justice done unless she is a career layabout scrounger

You're wrong and it's slightly weird how much pleasure your taking in this.....

• Advertisement

When the pillars of society are weak, and don't face consequences, how can be expect people to be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Maybe they were planning on taking another form of exercise together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

why was a bus running if you can't travel

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Essential journeys on public transport

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Essential travel for work/education

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Just goes to show how garbled the messages from Gov are. Never knew about the potential fine. Must take care now!

Nor me and I broke that 2km and 5km and whatever else km tons of times.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Nor me and I broke that 2km and 5km and whatever else km tons of times.

A tonne is a unit measurement for mass. No wonder you broke the rules unknowingly :p

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There is more to this, id say she was taking the piss out of the Garda, I was stopped outside of the 2km limit back in the summer at a Garda checkpoint.

If you take a look at her, she looks like a skanger.

Cant see her even having the money for a holiday in the USA. Never mind even getting ESTA or a Visa.

I was not brought to court.

I just got words of guidance and a producer for not having my licence on my person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

On Garda radar for what other reasons? Do tell? Care to expand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

kravmaga wrote: »
    On Garda radar for what other reasons? Do tell? Care to expand?

the poster has closed their account so we will never know.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Advertisement