Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

Hi all - I’ve been looking at firms and the majority of them are not hiring for 2021! Does anyone know is this normal or because of Covid?

I planned to move abroad for a year or two but that got scrapped with Covid and now I’m afraid I won’t get a traineeship for years either and I’ll be really lost then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Hi all - I’ve been looking at firms and the majority of them are not hiring for 2021! Does anyone know is this normal or because of Covid?

I planned to move abroad for a year or two but that got scrapped with Covid and now I’m afraid I won’t get a traineeship for years either and I’ll have nothing to do for a couple years

Tbh I’ve seen a good few that are hiring so I wouldn’t really worry tbh, if you still want to go abroad next year I would(providing corona has calmed) there’s always the possibility of being a legal secretary or executive for a year

Plus a few firms don’t actually hire until you have the FE1s completely done (like lemans and Philip Lee)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

I planned to move abroad for a year or two but that got scrapped with Covid and now I’m afraid I won’t get a traineeship for years either and I’ll be really lost then :(

I could be wrong but most of the big firms usually hire a few years in advance - for example in 2018 they were hiring for 2020/21, unless they happened to have a some spaces left in their 2019 intake. This is due to the fact that most of the top firms hire mostly from their internships now and since interns are usually in their 3rd year, they offer them a training contract to start 2/3 years later. So sometimes when you see that in 2020 a firm is hiring for their 2022/23 intake it's simply because they have filled up their 2021 intake already with internship offers.

I could be wrong on this! But this is just what I've heard and is only relevant to the big firms that hire from internships (there are plenty of smaller firms that won't even look at you until you have your FE1s completed so there are still ootions). Definitely still worth applying though as even if you're made an offer for let's say 2022/23, there's always a massive chance you'll be able to start earlier. Every year they have trainees due to start that don't for a multiplicity of reasons (failed FE1s, signed multiple TCs, decided not to pursue a career in law, decided to do a masters or take a year out etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aisbash

Has anyone elses application still not been approved? I submitted mine close to two weeks ago.
    I have an order confirmation for my application which I made before the exams were postponed. I dont see anything regarding getting it approved when I log in to the Law Society. Do I need to receive an approval email or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

Would anyone be willing to share their Criminal law notes on Recklessness and Strict Liability? The notes I have are a bit long winded so was hoping for something more condensed and exam focused

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

maggie95 wrote: »
    I would also include:
    - Institutions/General Principles (Almost always comes up - boring but easy)
    - Mergers to go alongside competition law
    - Direct Effect & Supremacy to go alongside MS liability and judicial review
    - (If you have time) Citizenship & Equality (I think these are the easiest and most interesting chapters so are easy to cover kinda last minute)

Thanks for the reply and advice :) I’ve been kind of beeezing through those along side other topics so I’ll give them more attention thank you !

Aisbash wrote: »
    I have an order confirmation for my application which I made before the exams were postponed. I dont see anything regarding getting it approved when I log in to the Law Society. Do I need to receive an approval email or something?

I’m the same, my order went straight through. I think the approval might be for first time candidates? Could be mistaken though..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

sorry guys I know this is probably on the fe1 rules but could any body be so kind as to list the legislation we may bring in for EU?

Aisbash wrote: »

If you log in and go view my dashboard and then into my applications it should show you your application for the exams the date submitted and should say approved

lawDani wrote: »
    sorry guys I know this is probably on the fe1 rules but could any body be so kind as to list the legislation we may bring in for EU?

The treaties! Usually all in the one book.. mine was blackstones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Dechert and Fieldfisher are two off the top of my head currently hiring for 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to what topics are essential for equity? Struggling to condense it down at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Dechert and Fieldfisher are two off the top of my head currently hiring for 2021

I've heard Dechert has the best trainee salary in the country! (should I say it with a French accent?)

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I've heard Dechert has the best trainee salary in the country! (should I say it with a French accent?)

They also only take on two a year so I’d say you’re worked to the bone for that money 😂😂

47.5 year 1, 50k year 2! Crazy really. 6 months in London during your TC too, and orientation at their global HQ in Philadelphia on qualification. Sounds pretty glam

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

When should someone apply for a traineeship? I have just finished my degree and passed the EU FE1 in August but I'm lost as to when should you start applying. Any advice at all would be great!

FE1new wrote: »
    When should someone apply for a traineeship? I have just finished my degree and passed the EU FE1 in August but I'm lost as to when should you start applying. Any advice at all would be great!

I’d suggest getting some work experience first for your applications, unless you have exceptional exam results.

Depends on the firm - bigger ones hire a year or two in advance so you can apply now

Others don’t look at you until you have your FE1s completed

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

I’d suggest getting some work experience first for your applications, unless you have exceptional exam results.

Thank you! I have work experience as a legal secretary for the last 3 years would that be okay experience?

Thank you! I have work experience as a legal secretary for the last 3 years would that be okay experience?

Definitely! Better than most you’ll come up against I would imagine!

• Advertisement

47.5 year 1, 50k year 2! Crazy really. 6 months in London during your TC too, and orientation at their global HQ in Philadelphia on qualification. Sounds pretty glam

130k first year qualified in London! American firms always splashing out the big bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Does anybody have property past papers and examiner reports by any chance please?

Would I be correct in saying that the chances of in-person exams being held at the start of November in Dublin is approaching zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

Would I be correct in saying that the chances of being in-person exams being held at the start of November in Dublin is approaching zero?
    I'm going to keep thinking that they will be and try my best to study but my main issue is, I don't know how comfortable I would feel doing them if they do go ahead in a months time.

I sat the online sitting in August so didn't see how safe it was in Dublin at that time, but it makes me extremely nervous.

StabiloLaw wrote: »
    I'm going to keep thinking that they will be and try my best to study but my main issue is, I don't know how comfortable I would feel doing them if they do go ahead in a months time.

I sat the online sitting in August so didn't see how safe it was in Dublin at that time, but it makes me extremely nervous.

I sat them in the law society in August! You don’t really mix with anyone but you didn’t have to wear the mask during it because you weren’t moving.

It depends on the Dublin lockdown situation - currently you’re allowed any gatherings so if that continues they won’t be in Dublin in November but if the lockdown is up and the gatherings go back to 50 indoors it will be
    (My opinion)

StabiloLaw wrote: »

My view is - - and I think this is inevitably the most likely approach - - that exams will be held at the beginning of November, but virtually.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Motivation still at rock bottom here. In the last 3 weeks or so I've done tap all. My notes are finished for property and I'm about 70% through contract but in the last few weeks I've done feck all in comparison to before this delay. Its really messed up my flow and tbh Im nearly subconsciously expecting another one and haven't really done as much hours as I should per day. Don't know how to pull myself back up I'm quite sick of just endlessly studying in the hope the uncontrollable goes well.

I mean, they have to be held before the end of year so people can start the Hybrid in Dec/Jan (?) surely?

My view is - - and I think this is inevitably the most likely approach - - that exams will be held at the beginning of November, but virtually.

I don’t think they’ll be virtually - they said no company had the capability of holding our exams virtually due to the amount of students!

I think they should give the option of online v in person exams and then that would help them be able to have them online ( reduction in Numbers ) possibly

I for one would choose in person due to personal circumstances

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Motivation still at rock bottom here. In the last 3 weeks or so I've done tap all. My notes are finished for property and I'm about 70% through contract but in the last few weeks I've done feck all in comparison to before this delay. Its really messed up my flow and tbh Im nearly subconsciously expecting another one and haven't really done as much hours as I should per day. Don't know how to pull myself back up I'm quite sick of just endlessly studying in the hope the uncontrollable goes well.

I mean, they have to be held before the end of year so people can start the Hybrid in Dec/Jan (?) surely?

Same my motivation is zero - can’t seem to bring myself to study properly

• Advertisement

I don’t think they’ll be virtually - they said no company had the capability of holding our exams virtually due to the amount of students!

I think they should give the option of online v in person exams and then that would help them be able to have them online ( reduction in Numbers ) possibly

I for one would choose in person due to personal circumstances

I would imagine the Law Society would need to know a few weeks beforehand that exams can be held in person so they can get the go ahead and start planning. Which is to say they need to know in the next 2 weeks that Dublin will be reduced to Level 2. Considering the effects of the Level 3 restrictions are still not felt yet, and that cases per 100k in Dublin are still rising, the chances of in person exams being held at the start of November is close to nought I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement