Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I had heard that yesterday, insane! To add insult to injury (quite literally) he cost Taylor his starting job. I can’t see them taking Herbert out of that spot now.

Lynn has already said that it's Tyrod's job afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Masked Man wrote: »

I can’t understand that either. Did he have his mask over his eyes last Sunday ? He’s got a franchise QB there and as can be seen my posts in the week 2 thread he more than held his own against the defending SB champions.

Didn't evebyone say after the draft that Herbert was useless and a huge reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Masked Man wrote: »

It’s Tyrods job until it isn’t. Saying it now is one thing, presumably Tyrod is out for another while. If Herbert keeps playing like he did last week how do you take him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Oat23 wrote: »
    These two stats are incredible. Didn't realise they had not won since last October.

How did Patricia survive black Monday.

To add to those stats, Matt Patricia through 34 games, has a worse record than both Rod Marinelli (head coach during the infamous 0-16 season) & Jim Schwarz (taking over a team coming off said 0-16 season). Its quite incredible how much of a downfall he has overseen, after taking over a 7-9 team.

I remember I was apprehensive when they replaced Caldwell who had a winning record, thinking back on the Bears who did the very same thing when replacing Lovie Smith who also had a winning record of memory serves me correct. Both teams went backwards after replacing those two coaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

Said similar when Kansas took Mahomes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Rochey18 wrote: »

And he's done very little tbf...

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

There seems to be regularly confusion here between some 'hot takes' and the general consensus about players.

Most people expected him to go around where he did. There were justifiable concerns about him in college and one game where the defense had not time to prep doesn't really prove those concerns unfounded (even if he did well).
    Rochey18 wrote: »

Again, was there really much of that said about Mahomes? Prior to the draft there were some justifiable concerns but he ended up in a perfect situation, between coaching, supporting talent, and being able to sit for a year. If the Bengals had picked him the selection before I don't think we'd be talking about Mahomes as highly as we do today. QBs and WRs, above all other positions, need to be in the right environment to succeed early in their careers.

It’s Tyrods job until it isn’t. Saying it now is one thing, presumably Tyrod is out for another while. If Herbert keeps playing like he did last week how do you take him out?

You can’t take him out if he gets on a role and gets more confident. You go with the hot hand and presumably Tryods ribs aren’t better and now he’s got a punctured lung so he won’t be back soon I don’t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lionbacker wrote: »
    To add to those stats, Matt Patricia through 34 games, has a worse record than both Rod Marinelli (head coach during the infamous 0-16 season) & Jim Schwarz (taking over a team coming off said 0-16 season). Its quite incredible how much of a downfall he has overseen, after taking over a 7-9 team.

I remember I was apprehensive when they replaced Caldwell who had a winning record, thinking back on the Bears who did the very same thing when replacing Lovie Smith who also had a winning record of memory serves me correct. Both teams went backwards after replacing those two coaches.

That is correct, we were 10-6 under Lovie the year he lost his job, an unbelievable record and one that would only seldom not be good enough for the playoffs. The collapse afterwards was very similar, although at least there was good cause to think Patricia might be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Christy42

He has to keep playing like that. Remember the first couple of starts when Daniel Jones looked good?

Panthers should help. Will likely be a lot of handing the ball off since they can't defend running backs.

Tampa will be a test and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'm a bit late catching up on the thread here but I'm very disappointed to see the BBC's weekly highlights show gone. I really liked it. The official NFL Youtube highlights clips often don't show replays of the big plays, and have no analysis, so really aren't the same.

Can anyone recommend any Youtube (or online in general) highlights shows that would be similar?

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'm a bit late catching up on the thread here but I'm very disappointed to see the BBC's weekly highlights show gone. I really liked it. The official NFL Youtube highlights clips often don't show replays of the big plays, and have no analysis, so really aren't the same.

Can anyone recommend any Youtube (or online in general) highlights shows that would be similar?

I used to like that show as well and was disappointed to see it gone. Somebody mentioned Sunday in 60 on GamePass. I haven’t watched it myself yet. I listen to a few podcasts and watch the condensed versions of games I have a particular interest in but I don’t know of any other magazine type show with highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The Bears/Falcons game made two pieces of history yesterday.

The Bears became the first team in NFL history to win two games in a single season where they were 16 or more points down entering the 4th quarter.

The Falcons became the first team in NFL history to lose back-to-back games where they were 15 or more points up entering the the 4th quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ryan Fitzpatrick made history yesterday, became the first QB to beat a team (Jets) with 6 different teams

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Ryan Fitzpatrick made history yesterday, became the first QB to beat a team (Jets) with 6 different teams

Fitz beat the Jags this week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ex-NFL star Joe Montana and wife block attempted kidnapping of grandchild https://jrnl.ie/5216414

Joe Cool had a bit of a nasty incident over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 37,891 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

paulie21 wrote:
    Yeah it was the Jags not the Jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Shedite27

paulie21 wrote: »

Sorry, you're right,
    2008 — Beat Jags as Bengals QB
    2012 — Beat Jags as Bills QB
    2013 — Beat Jags as Titans QB
    2014 — Beat Jags as Texans QB
    2015 — Beat Jags as Jets QB
    2020 — Beat Jags as Dolphins QB

• What's everyone's favourite conference these days?

• Advertisement

What's everyone's favourite conference these days?

Meh on conferences. AFC North by far by division.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Meh on conferences. AFC North by far by division.

Is this favourite or best? Would take NFC West if the latter.

radharc wrote: »
    Is this favourite or best? Would take NFC West if the latter.

Favourite.

Best right now is the NFC West, at one time not too long ago nicknamed the NFC worst.
    The one I like the most not including my own team is the NFC north.

The real test of protocols. The NFL has been lucky so far, this is where things can get really messy

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1310946413879197697?s=20

Just saw the alert for a COVID outbreak with the Titans. This is where the NFL medical staff earn their coin.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Just saw the alert for a COVID outbreak with the Titans. This is where the NFL medical staff earn their coin.
    What happens now? Are both their games off this weekend?

eagle eye wrote: »
    What happens now? Are both their games off this weekend?

The Vikings are closing their facility until they’ve tested their players and staff and they come back negative so they could reopen tomorrow if all clear. The Titans could be in a bind but I’ve seen a tweet where there have been games moved and bye weeks changed and taking bye weeks now for the Titans. It seemed to work at first glance. Hopefully the vikings got no positive cases and it’s just contained to the Titans and the league can move a game or two and carry on.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The Vikings are closing their facility until they’ve tested their players and staff and they come back negative so they could reopen tomorrow if all clear. The Titans could be in a bind but I’ve seen a tweet where there have been games moved and bye weeks changed and taking bye weeks now for the Titans. It seemed to work at first glance. Hopefully the vikings got no positive cases and it’s just contained to the Titans and the league can move a game or two and carry on.

Moving the Titans and Steelers (Their week 4 opponent) bye weeks is fine if this is a once off but it is almost certainly going to happen again to one of them or a scheduled opponent at some stage. Then what? This is going to be very difficult to manage.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Surely testing this soon after any exposure doesn't guarantee Vikings players don't have it? I seems crazy to believe they have the all clear and things are safe to open up.

Advertisement