Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommyq94

Does anyone know if I already successfully applied to what was going to be the October sitting, does it carry forward to the November sitting or do I have to make a new application for November?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

tommyq94 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I already successfully applied to what was going to be the October sitting, does it carry forward to the November sitting or do I have to make a new application for November?

No new application needed, it is carried forward

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Liordi wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else still hasn't had their application approved?

I’m still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Shonagoring123

Is there anyone doing company in a November or who has done it and can list the topics they did to pass? Very overwhelmed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JPEGJULY

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the law society website to view their application? All I'm getting is an endless loading screen.
    Cheers in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

JPEGJULY wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble logging into the law society website to view their application? All I'm getting is an endless loading screen.
    Cheers in advance.

Happens to me too pretty often, usually works if I close the window and try again or log in through google incognito.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

This is a pointless question because a pass is a pass but just curious what do people usually get in the exams ... percentage wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

This is a pointless question because a pass is a pass but just curious what do people usually get in the exams ... percentage wise

63% in Tort - much lower than my undergraduate marks but I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    63% in Tort - much lower than my undergraduate marks but I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

My undergrad the college didn’t tell us the percentage just the grade. Yeah I was comparing it to undergrad too and seems a little lower haha maybe I was better in undergrad

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

50% my lowest and 65% my highest the rest 50 odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

channing90 wrote: »

same for me

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

channing90 wrote: »

Roughlty the same for me, and I was always a high 2.1/first in college so I really don't think there's any comparison.

Does anybody else think it's a good idea if I leave out Offences against the State, and Justice; and Public Order Offences, if I cover pretty much everything else on the Criminal syllabus?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    Got an invite just now actually for a test next week.

Got a message saying stage one is prerecorded today, I'll have to see, judicial assistant has the advantage it wouldn't preclude me from a HEO job. I'll have to see, I'm supposed to be looking for training contracts not more CS jobs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lawgirl23

Got a message saying stage one is prerecorded today, I'll have to see, judicial assistant has the advantage it wouldn't preclude me from a HEO job. I'll have to see, I'm supposed to be looking for training contracts not more CS jobs :p

I said I couldn’t do the test as it started at 5pm but it seems now they might push it back to 6pm instead.

I’m the same - a bit on the fence about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

lawgirl23 wrote: »
    I said I couldn’t do the test as it started at 5pm but it seems now they might push it back to 6pm instead.

I’m the same - a bit on the fence about it...

I just got an email this morning saying:

'I wish to acknowledge receipt of your application for Legal Researcher. We are currently preparing for Stage 1 of the competition (Pre-recorded video interview) and will contact you shortly through your publicjobs message board with further information.'

Did you both receive this email first? Just wondering if my name is still in the hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Does anybody else think it's a good idea if I leave out Offences against the State, and Justice; and Public Order Offences, if I cover pretty much everything else on the Criminal syllabus?

I wouldn’t leave them out at all! I think they came up on the last two sittings in a small way!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭StabiloLaw

I left out Offences against the State and managed a good enough pass, but being honest it was literally the only thing I left out when studying.

Offences against Justice and Public Order often come up as part of a question, or in the dreaded 4 part questions which are often unavoidable if you're counting on the basics such as sexual offences, NFOATP or manslaughter.

In my experience, criminal is an easier one because its interesting and he's a really nice marker, but I feel you need to have a good understanding of all the topics. There's very little that doesn't come up every sitting and because of the way he mixes questions, it's not easy to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Al1501

Would it be mad to leave out practice and procedure? I know its's nearly a guaranteed question, but its a big area for just one question. If everything else was covered might it be okay to skip it?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

Hi just a Q on training contracts, is it normal for the firm to discuss salaries during or after interview? Or how does it work?

• Advertisement

user115 wrote: »
    Hi just a Q on training contracts, is it normal for the firm to discuss salaries during or after interview? Or how does it work?

Not for the TC interviews I had anyways. The trainee salaries at big 5 are around 40-48k anyways. Goes to about 65-70k on qualification.

The newer entrants into the market - DLA, Pinsent Masons - seem to pay the same if not better than the large domestic commercial firms.

Or are you speaking more generally about local/medium sized firms?

In terms of training contracts CVs - any advice what would help stand out? Is there a format that should be followed for CV - eg putting a summary of yourself at the top? I don’t have that on my most up to date CV and will struggle to fit it in but the law society templates seem to recommend it?

Not for the TC interviews I had anyways. The trainee salaries at big 5 are around 40-48k anyways. Goes to about 65-70k on qualification.

The newer entrants into the market - DLA, Pinsent Masons - seem to pay the same if not better than the large domestic commercial firms.

Or are you speaking more generally about local/medium sized firms?

Would you have any idea of salaries on medium firms/outside Dublin?

Would you have any idea of salaries on medium firms/outside Dublin?

Depends on the firm - smaller firms in Dublin and outside would pay around 24,000 - 29,000. But really depends on the firm

McCann is €35,000 I’ve been told

In terms of training contracts CVs - any advice what would help stand out? Is there a format that should be followed for CV - eg putting a summary of yourself at the top? I don’t have that on my most up to date CV and will struggle to fit it in but the law society templates seem to recommend it?

I’ve been told not to put a summary on top. And also not to put references and just say references on request

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Depends on the firm - smaller firms in Dublin and outside would pay around 24,000 - 29,000. But really depends on the firm

McCann is surely more than 35k

Ditto. Some small/medium firms would be willing to cover your fees at Blackhall and pay above minimum wage, others won't give you anything and you'll have to cover everything yourselves.

McCann is surely more than 35k

Nope I know a girl starting next year and hers is €35k

Nope I know a girl starting next year and hers is €35k

I have an offer from MF and its not 35k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

Yeah to my knowledge the top 5 are all ~42/3 rising to 45, pinsent masons is 45 rising to 47 I think? And then have heard that DLA and others are also high? Walkers is higher too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement