Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef price tracker 2

• 25-09-2020 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭

NOW WITH EVEN MORE BEEF PRICES!!

Previous thread here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Can you stick the first post from the old thread 9 years ago just to depress us and show that beef was once 4.10/4.15 !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Can you stick the first post from the old thread 9 years ago just to depress us and show that beef was once 4.10/4.15 !!!!

Last one lasted 8 years 9 months 4 hours and a minute and we are back 15%off the price then.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Last one lasted 8 years 9 months 4 hours and a minute and we are back 15%off the price then.

Lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    49801 wrote: »
    any interest in having a factory beef price tracker on here?

got 4 hiefers to go, 3rs and 1o

got the following quotes for base price on Mon 23 Jan

4.10e/kg aibp bandon
    4.15e/kg aibp cahir

quotes including bord bia
    am holding tough as hoping for 4.25e/kg

If it makes you feel better/worse?:p

If it makes you feel better/worse?:p

I head to either now with a load

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Ah bless my old thread closed. Well out of beef now as circumstances changed and farming system changed. Still miss the suckers cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Ah bless my old thread closed. Well out of beef now as circumstances changed and farming system changed. Still miss the suckers cows.

How did holding out for the 4.25 work out???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

What you doing with the place now if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Beef price tracker II (Larry's Minnions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Panch18 wrote: »
    What you doing with the place now if you don’t mind me asking?

Contract rearing. Brother running it as well as working full time.

I lost interest when our own stock were sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Contract rearing. Brother running it as well as working full time.

I lost interest when our own stock were sold.

Well done, I can't understand people who stay at something when the money is obviously gone out of it.
    Fair enough if you just want a hobby

Any quire's for next week numbers seem to be dropping is there 3.7/kg around

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any quire's for next week numbers seem to be dropping is there 3.7/kg around

Was only 3.60 last week round here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Don't forget inflation !!!

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,218 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Don't forget inflation !!!

Bigger than 15% on most agri inputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Cattle kill is about40k higher than last yearyoung , bull kill is 60k back on last year. Heifer kill is 20k higher, steer kill is about 90k ahead of last year. So over 100k extra prime cattle slaughtered this year even taking COVID into account.

There's supposed to 50-60k less cattle in the system. It will be interesting to see slaughter numbers for last week.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Hi, I bought a few continentals this May, they were between 10 to 14 months old at the time and were very forward, ojt of suckled cows and by a good limousine bull, I was to,d that they'd been castrated about two or three weeks previous but were very strong and still look very strong in that department.
    I kept them in a field with bullocks adjacent to a neighbour with about fifty heifers in his, they never showed any bullish behaviour or stirred into them, but they have bull necks and fairly big sets of tackle under them, one did actually end up with my neighbour, but he handled him in the getting out of him and said he was squeezed alright " but still a bit saggy ", a few of them are fit to kill now, and a coup,e lore in a month or two.....Will they be classified as bulls when they go to the factory?

tatoo wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a few continentals this May, they were between 10 to 14 months old at the time and were very forward, ojt of suckled cows and by a good limousine bull, I was to,d that they'd been castrated about two or three weeks previous but were very strong and still look very strong in that department.
    I kept them in a field with bullocks adjacent to a neighbour with about fifty heifers in his, they never showed any bullish behaviour or stirred into them, but they have bull necks and fairly big sets of tackle under them, one did actually end up with my neighbour, but he handled him in the getting out of him and said he was squeezed alright " but still a bit saggy ", a few of them are fit to kill now, and a coup,e lore in a month or two.....Will they be classified as bulls when they go to the factory?

If they have necks and there balls have not shrunk they more than likely will be classed as bulls. I suspect that they have been badly squeezed. Even if now while they will graded FS may not be within spec if they are bullish.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

If they have necks and there balls have not shrunk they more than likely will be classed as bulls. I suspect that they have been badly squeezed. Even if now while they will graded FS may not be within spec if they are bullish.

Will I be screwed on price so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

tatoo wrote: »
    Will I be screwed on price so?

Ring an agent to come look at your “bullocks”. Agree a price and let them off. Unless he says anything you should be alright.
    They are very young as continental bullocks to be finished. Just make sure they have a good cover of fat on them as you will lose money if not.
    On the plus side, If they are a bit bullish they will have done well for you and weigh well.
    Often have bullocks here that were badly squeezed or were left with one stone. They would be killed with other bullocks though and nothing ever said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Cattle kill is about40k higher than last yearyoung , bull kill is 60k back on last year. Heifer kill is 20k higher, steer kill is about 90k ahead of last year. So over 100k extra prime cattle slaughtered this year even taking COVID into account.

There's supposed to 50-60k less cattle in the system. It will be interesting to see slaughter numbers for last week.

The tweet in the post above says there's 1% less cattle slaughtered this year...

The tweet in the post above says there's 1% less cattle slaughtered this year...

https://www.agriland.ie/factory-prices/weekly-kill-figures/

The total kill is 3.5% higher mostly made up of young cattle

As well there is about 21K extra cattle gone to NI mostly for slaughter or forward stores

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have slaughtered cattle recently and I noticed the dead weight is back circ 20kgs on last year. Anyone else noticed same?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    I have slaughtered cattle recently and I noticed the dead weight is back circ 20kgs on last year. Anyone else noticed same?

Uncle killed cattle and couldn't believe the weights, 450kg avg

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

Uncle killed cattle and couldn't believe the weights, 450kg avg

Killing them a month or 6 weeks earlier here than last year at the same weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I killed an awful load of rubbish last week as a get out and had great flesh and weight. Was delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭kk.man

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I killed an awful load of rubbish last week as a get out and had great flesh and weight. Was delighted.
    Maybe I did something different than last year. All I can think of is the drought. We had 3 weeks of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

kk.man wrote: »
    Maybe I did something different than last year. All I can think of is the drought. We had 3 weeks of it here.

I've had a dream year this year. Only trying to reset the clock after the last two disastrous years.

Also I bought the vast majority of my cattle in the country this year, no getting horsed around in marts, hit the ground running when they landed here.

We actually missed that drought down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ballon meats not killing this week?

Advertisement