Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30kph coming to Dublin road near you? (note warning in post #254)

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MJohnston wrote: »
    Is this seriously acceptable to the mods? What's going on? Can we get a mod message to let us know if we should stop reporting these posts?

Mods have work and life, this is voluntary and often has to wait. I understand your frustration but please do not discuss moderation in-thread in the future.

— moderator

The standard of posting needs to improve on both sides — trolling isn’t allowed, everybody needs to stop focusing on what modes of transport other users use and instead focus on the points being made, and one or two word answers are rarely acceptable.

Infractions applied, and thread cleaned up (sorry for any unrelated tweets which were deleted).

— moderator

WARNING: Thread topic is 30km/h in Dublin -- if there's nothing about speed or designing for slower speed in your post, then do not post it here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm in the midst of battle with the management company in my estate. One side of a road is managed by a different management company, they've recently implemented permit parking, within marked bays only.
    This has had a negative effect on the speed of cars passing through the estate, there is a nominal 30km/h speed limit, but there is never going to be enforcement.

The road is approx 5.5m wide (measure tool on google maps) previously much of it's length was reduced by half due to parked vehicles, now the cars have gone, some people are using excessive speeds.
    This is exactly the type of scenario that I provided during the feedback on the DCC moves. Limits without redesign are not workable, if DCC wish to reduce speeds on the arterial routes, they need to tighten road space otherwise it will just result in ignoring the speed limit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

liamog wrote: »
    I'm in the midst of battle with the management company in my estate. One side of a road is managed by a different management company, they've recently implemented permit parking, within marked bays only.
    This has had a negative effect on the speed of cars passing through the estate, there is a nominal 30km/h speed limit, but there is never going to be enforcement.

The road is approx 5.5m wide (measure tool on google maps) previously much of it's length was reduced by half due to parked vehicles, now the cars have gone, some people are using excessive speeds.
    This is exactly the type of scenario that I provided during the feedback on the DCC moves. Limits without redesign are not workable, if DCC wish to reduce speeds on the arterial routes, they need to tighten road space otherwise it will just result in ignoring the speed limit.

It's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, isn't it? I believe that introducing a 30km limit will make it easier to actually push through a road diet, as they can then say "Well, the limit here is 30km, but the road encourages excessive speeding, so let's redesign the road."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's a bit of a chicken/egg scenario, isn't it? I believe that introducing a 30km limit will make it easier to actually push through a road diet, as they can then say "Well, the limit here is 30km, but the road encourages excessive speeding, so let's redesign the road."

Yeah, you have to do one of those things first, and ultimately it doesn't really break anything to do the speed limit changes first. If you have to wait for road designs to be corrected everywhere, that'll essentially never happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't know, I think if you change the limit without changing the design, you end up with non compliance along with our typical lack of enforcement. Long term this just makes any limits ignorable.
    They don't even need to go full tilt on a design. Redoing the paint and installing wooden planters is enough to change the streetscape enough to reduce traffic speeds.

The protected cycleways are a good example where the carriageway is reduced significantly and can be delivered quickly.

Advertisement