Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    BTW looking at the RTX 3080 PCB shots, I'm not so sure that 20Gb 3080 models will exist - they might keep that configuration for 3090 & maybe produce a 12Gb Ti/Super variant.

front.jpg

I assume the black squares are the VRAM modules? Twelve slots with two free so each one is a 1GB module? Maybe they've 2GB variants coming which could give a max of 24GB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thats very interesting given the 16Gb chips aren't expected until 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

BTW looking at the RTX 3080 PCB shots, I'm not so sure that 20Gb 3080 models will exist - they might keep that configuration for 3090 & maybe produce a 12Gb Ti/Super variant.

front.jpg

Hi,

The PCB for the 3080 and 3090 are the same custom PCB. The number of RAM slots on the front should add up to 12, with 2 unused for the 3080 and all in use for the 3090, the main difference is that the 3090 is using double sided mounting. This was done historically but hasn't been done for a while by Nvidia but they seem to have moved back to this to save space. The 3080 20GB variant would just have to have the same 2 sided installation, so it's totally possible to have a 20 GB one. Heck, if you could get your hands on the RAM and were a magician with PCBs and soldering you could turn your 3080 10 GB into 24GB, but you would still have the 320bit architecture. Not the 384-bit bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

There's a 24gb 3090 on the way already, do you think there's going to be 24 ram chips? Nope.

It will have 12 x 2gb chips. A 20gb version would have 10.

The RTX titan uses 12 x 2gb chips.

The codenames for the higher ram versions have been around for over a month with further confirmations of codenames from aib's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Homelander wrote: »
    Yeah I just stay away from those discussions on Adverts. It is baffling to see people paying over the odds there quite frequently for old 2nd hand things, but is it their money and clearly they haven't done any research.

Some things I get. Like paying a bit more for an i7-7700 or 4790 or whatever than is economically sensible because you're not bothered with a full platform change....understandable.

It's the GPU's that I really fail to understand. In some cases it's just pure impatience, someone wants something immediately, but not always. People paying "new" prices for several year old 2nd hand cards when the new options are a) cheaper b) perform as good or better with other benefits and c) well, literally, new

Now he didn't get any bites I don't think but I saw a guy selling an R9 390 for 300 the other day on adverts. Talk about a time warp.
    already in America new gpu prices are coming down if the NVidia cards are as good as they say they are and amd cards are good used gpu cards prices will go down a lot

as for intel cpus you have to look at.reviews as intel new cpus are not much better than old cpus
    you have to look at k as it can be overclocked then you have to see if it's got hyperthreading

on adverts ie just make a lower offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

To all the amazon.de Zotac buyers.

We ain't getting those cards any time soon.

Amazon's stock contollers ****ed up, they sold thousands, they had a fraction of in stock.

Where did you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

To all the amazon.de Zotac buyers.

We ain't getting those cards any time soon.

Amazon's stock contollers ****ed up, they sold thousands, they had a fraction of in stock.

Yup, thought so. Zotac received 20,000 orders. Someone prob put 20k available instead of 20 in the Amazon system.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

It's the same thing every launch.

Availability is a pipe dream, and prices are high if you're lucky to get your hands on the stuff. It makes the launch far more paper-like than what Nvidia/AMD/Intel would have you believe. It can often take up to 6 or so months for it to become more reasonable.

I'm planning on skipping the 3000 generation along with whatever AMD have coming. Can't really justify an upgrade from the 5700XT for the games I've been playing at 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Where did you read this?

Check out the Q&A on the product page on amazon, there is a whole thread on 'Will these pre-orders be fulfilled?'. Translating the answers show lots of German buyers due to receive their orders today not getting them.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/ask/questions/TxAQ9NMXNH4VE3/ref=ask_dp_al_al_hza

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

front.jpg

12 * 2gb modules is possible.

That's also not the reference PCB, it's an Nvidia custom PCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Where did you read this?

From somenone who works for Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,781 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Videocardz, which has been fairly accurate with their leaks about the 30 series, have info from Gigabyte which seems to confirm the 3080 20gb variant

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb
    The product list features GeForce RTX 3060 (S – SUPER?) 8GB model, GeForce RTX 3070 16GB (S- SUPER?) and Geforce RTX 3080 20GB (also labelled S). It remains unclear if the S means a SUPER series, or as our sources tend to believe, the Ti models.

The GeForce RTX 3080 20GB model is not expected to feature a higher core count than the just-released 10GB model, thus we are unsure if the product code is not final or the card might actually feature 3080 Ti or 3080 SUPER branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

Hi,

The PCB for the 3080 and 3090 are the same custom PCB. The number of RAM slots on the front should add up to 12, with 2 unused for the 3080 and all in use for the 3090, the main difference is that the 3090 is using double sided mounting. This was done historically but hasn't been done for a while by Nvidia but they seem to have moved back to this to save space. The 3080 20GB variant would just have to have the same 2 sided installation, so it's totally possible to have a 20 GB one. Heck, if you could get your hands on the RAM and were a magician with PCBs and soldering you could turn your 3080 10 GB into 24GB, but you would still have the 320bit architecture. Not the 384-bit bus.

Micron hints 16Gb/2GB chips: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/micron-reveals-gddr6x-details-the-future-of-memory-or-a-proprietary-dram

The 384-bit but width implies 12 chips, and obviously 320 implies 10. The unused chip pads are probably backed up by defective or disabled memory controller chip channels, so just soldering a chip there will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Exactly, the RTX titan is also 384 bit with 12 memory chips. The 3090, also 384 bit, will be the same which indicates they do indeed have 2gb ddr6x chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

z0oT wrote: »
    It's the same thing every launch.

Availability is a pipe dream, and prices are high if you're lucky to get your hands on the stuff. It makes the launch far more paper-like than what Nvidia/AMD/Intel would have you believe. It can often take up to 6 or so months for it to become more reasonable.

I'm planning on skipping the 3000 generation along with whatever AMD have coming. Can't really justify an upgrade from the 5700XT for the games I've been playing at 1440p.

The demand for this card is a bit mental, I'm having trouble with understanding the why. I never would have though there were this many sharks in the water willing to spend 700 quid on a gfx card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The demand for this card is a bit mental, I'm having trouble with understanding the why. I never would have though there were this many sharks in the water willing to spend 700 quid on a gfx card.

That is probably already half of the overall demand for this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Due to the COVID lockdown I've barely spent a dime on takeout coffee, lunch, pubs or public transport for most of the year.

Even being out of a job, I could buy a 3090 tomorrow & not even touch my savings account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Due to the COVID lockdown I've barely spent a dime on takeout coffee, lunch, pubs or public transport for most of the year.

Even being out of a job, I could buy a 3090 tomorrow & not even touch my savings account.

Been opposite for me, finding myself spending more on junk and more broke because of it through lock down - But ... I have been keeping up with bills a bit better, that'll be a big chunk of it, and I did buy a new PC and phone ... but if I was still working I'd have managed all that and more. Starting back next week thankfully, going a bit stir crazy! I'll give it a few weeks to settle back in but then i am treating myself F it ... I see a 1440p monitor in the not too distant future for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Leaked 3090 review, make of it what you want.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-teclab-review-leaked/

im one of the 20k amazon buyers, card not charged yet so not holding out much hope.

I intended to get the 3080 for the kid and a 3090 for me (gotta flex to the kid) they xmas presents so no real rush if i dont get the 3080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

grogi wrote: »
    That is probably already half of the overall demand for this generation.

Yeah probably a combination of all of the above - there are a lot of people who either managed to save money or haven't bought anything (nor been on holidays and such) basically looking for an "excuse" to buy something expensive.

Also, I wouldn't underestimate the volume added by all the scalpers; We've seen individuals managing to order 40+ cards using bots. This is all artificial demand that might or might not have come from the interested public.

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1305567664534745088

EVGA charging 40 quid for a cable Seasonic gives away for free.

581ra6gjb5o51.png
    njhnohdij5o51.png

Apparently all the AIBs are air-freighting in thousands of cards/week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Did anyone else notice the Zotac and all EVGA 3080's are no longer available to pre-order on Overclockers?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-3080

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Leaked 3090 review, make of it what you want.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-teclab-review-leaked/

I wasn't expecting much of the 3090 in fairness. Just looking at the specs it's not that much better in terms of CUDA cores. I'm sure in semi professional applications the memory badwidth and edge in cores will help but I wasn't expecting more than 15% in games. I think you'd have to be mad buying the 3090 for gaming unless you're doing something mad like multiple 4K displays given the price difference and potential 20GB 3080s.

Do overclockers charge the full amount for a pre order?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

They sure do.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They sure do.

Lol, they are some shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Haven't been charged yet for my pre-order with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Squaredude wrote: »
    Haven't been charged yet for my pre-order with them

You must be one of the only ones. Reddit is full of people complaining about their scummy tactics.

I myself went to pre-order one with them but had my revolut card frozen just to see, and they tried to take the full amount. Even tho it could be months before they deliver.

Advertisement