Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

Imagine we'll be hearing the price and the release date of the PS5 today or tomorrow. Today is the 25th anniversary of the release of the playstation. Remembering all those Smyth's catalogues that I used explore. Never getting that magic back. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone playing Star Renegades? Came out yesterday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Imagine we'll be hearing the price and the release date of the PS5 today or tomorrow. Today is the 25th anniversary of the release of the playstation. Remembering all those Smyth's catalogues that I used explore. Never getting that magic back. :P

25th anniversary in the US. Came out on 3rd December 1994 in Japan. Take the rumours of a price reveal and video reel with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hoping the humour is better than Ratchet and Clank which I find grating.

This video however is both incredibly try hard pandering while also managing to be inclusive. It's tough to balance that and I actually really liked it and gives me hope the developers can keep the humour up throughout.

Everything about that seemed to be aimed at kids [bar the actual gameplay] - when it'll be mostly Nostalgic old men who'll play it :D [like me!] Thought the whole thing was cringe central, but cut scenes in this type of game usually are

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everything about that seemed to be aimed at kids [bar the actual gameplay] - when it'll be mostly Nostalgic old men who'll play it :D [like me!] Thought the whole thing was cringe central, but cut scenes in this type of game usually are

True but I think the developers are in on the joke with it being cringey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Saints Row V - Supposed Leaked Details (Story, Gameplay, Multiplayer) from 4chan
    STORY SETUP
    • Continuation of Saints Row 3's plot. Saints Row 4 and Gat Out of Hell got retconned as a crazy in-universe TV show.
    • The plot is about how the Saints become an evil corporate empire similar to Ultor. You are playing as a new protagonist with a new cast to support you as you go against the old Saints cast. Main antagonists are old Saints, but also other gangs. One of them was a motorcycle gang called the Wolf pack. There are some story related choices you can make. For example, you can ally with a gang to go against the Saints.
    • All the old Saints are there except Gat who is kept dead, which is mentioned as part of the reason why the Saints became soulless corporate bullies.
    • The old boss (player character from previous games) now wears a cool looking mask that makes their voice muffled and tactical body armor, so their look is open to interpretation.
    • The game is set in modern Stilwater (the OG city from 1 & 2), but it's been massively expanded. It has way more countryside and new islands.
    • Tone is a middle ground between 1, 2 and 3.
    • There are no superpowers.
    • Game has a thing going on where it feels like you're seeing the old Saints from the perspective of an average NPC. Extreme versions of their SR3 selves basically. Old Saints never cared about hurting innocent people which pays a big role in building the Saints as this evil gang.

GAMEPLAY
    • Character customization is similar to Saints Row 2
    • You can wear clothing pieces in multiple ways.
    • Sliders are there for each body part this time, so you can go all the way in creating weird monstrosities.
    • Dick censorship is changed and this time, it's a black bar that has swinging physics (note from me: Volition actually wanted to do this with SR3 but couldn't because of coding issues and time constraints. Nice to see the real next-gen addition make its way in.)
    • Weapon customization isn't linear anymore like it was in Saints Row 4. You can put on different scopes and camos and switch between ammo types.
    • 4 Player co-op, with difficulty scaling to number of players.
    • Multiplayer will be 32 player freeroam gang warfare with activities like Deathmatch activating dynamically in the world. So you can drive around the map and then get a pop up from the game that invites you and the rest of the players to participate in Deathmatch. If your gang wins Deathmatch, you'll gain small territory as part of a bigger region in this particular lobby. This won't be global, so each lobby will have different territories controlled by different gangs.
    • No destructable environments but physics felt a lot better. For example, ragdolls weren't floaty anymore like in Saints Row 4 and driving felt close to GTA V.
    GRAPHICS
    It's like Saints Row 3 Remastered, but better. Not cartoony at all. No destructable environemnts but physics felt a lot better. For example, ragdolls weren't floaty anymore like in Saints Row 4 and driving felt close to GTA V.
    MISC
    • In a playable early state, Volition have invited tons of people from the Saints Row community and some YouTube influencers to check it out who are all under NDA.
    • They might show some trailers this year, but it's coming out in late 2021, or even 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sounds great to me. 2 was my favourite and i hated the superhero spin, interesting if this pans out.

I enjoyed 4 but I'm not sure if they could have gone much further with it. As long as there's an element of ridiculous I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The story of IV was always gonna be glossed over in a new game anyway!
    I mean they blew up the fúcking earth and were superheroes in a simulation!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

A little upset I no longer have time to game much now that I started studying my Master (plus working full shift), but from time to time still dip into Witcher

• Advertisement

Hi, my name is retr0gamer and I have a superboss problem.

Any time I play a game and there's an 'optional' super boss, it's not optional to me. I love exploring combat systems to their fullest and taking on these challenges of self flagellation.

My current cat o'nine tails of self flagellation is the Godmaster DLC in Hollow Knight. Four insane boss rushes with a fifth one that seems like utter madness. I'm current bouncing off of the third boss rush. I don't think I've ever come this close to quitting a game before and I sometimes wish I had the balls to do so with this one. The main game is perfectly manageable but this is just pure nightmare fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I respect your dedication and commitment but don't share it. I quit the borderlands 3 DLC the other day as there's a timed thing you have to do. It's not that difficult but I failed 3 times so that was it........forever.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I respect your dedication and commitment but don't share it. I quit the borderlands 3 DLC the other day as there's a timed thing you have to do. It's not that difficult but I failed 3 times so that was it........forever.

I actually think it's a bad thing. Like a form of OCD. Usually superbosses are a fun exploration of the nuances of all the games systems. But Hollow Knight is on another level of execution. The final Pantheon takes up to 45 minutes for a run. Every boss in the game but all tougher versions and quite a few run killer bosses in there. Can't wait to be utterly disheartened/infuriated to have a run killed a bad fight against that absolute scrote Zote or Nightmare King Grimm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I realised a good few years back that the way I played games was actually resentfully. I'd come across something really difficult, and wouldn't let it go until I'd beaten it, which is fair enough, but my reaction to it was to either beat it and give up gaming in frustration for a while, or to spend so long on it that I'd be missing out on loads of other games.

I came to the realisation that I need to change how I play games, not least because I literally don't have as much time (two kids really cuts down on time), but because if I kept that up, I'd eventually get so annoyed by games that I'd never come back. Nothing wrong with ultra-difficult games, they're just not for me anymore.

I'm one of those casuals who rarely finishes a game these days. I jump in for the entertainment alone, make no promises to myself, and when it becomes a chore I'm out. I have completed many games over the years but I don't set out with that as my target now, it's more get as far as I can while still enjoying the ride; before it becomes stale [to me] - I find I'm enjoying this gamer side of me more

So I finally did it. Hollow Night. It's done.

I uninstalled that mother****er. Life's too short. It's a challenge I know I can complete but the Godmaster DLC just takes too much grinding and muscle memory. It's not worth.

The rest of the game is awesome and the godmaster section is good if you have the time. But time to move on. I feel so much better uninstalling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So I finally did it. Hollow Night. It's done.

I uninstalled that mother****er. Life's too short. It's a challenge I know I can complete but the Godmaster DLC just takes too much grinding and muscle memory. It's not worth.

The rest of the game is awesome and the godmaster section is good if you have the time. But time to move on. I feel so much better uninstalling it.

Pfft, scrub. Git gud!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a fabulous game but that upper tier of difficulty is just insane. Even the core game wasn't averse to of spikes. The pantheon stuff - heck the proper ending[*] - wasn't anywhere near worth the effort and pain required, bar perhaps personal bragging rights. But life is definitely too short.

. [*] Can I just say I hate this whole 'proper' ending thing beloved of certain games. This gate-keeping of story content behind sometimes excruciating difficult walls, the majority of gamers none the wiser but served an intentionally withholding form of a story. Often without clue there IS a 'true' ending. Just feels like hubris and obnoxiousness IMO.

Wonderful ... I think I'll just delete Hollow Knight now :/ I gave it a quick whirl other week, keep meaning to get back to it, but now it seems it'll just be a chore.

As for multiple endings, I think the Witcher 3 might be guiltier than most for that [last I heard there was 40 possible endings] - All I know is, I was satisfied enough with the one I got. Think of it like a prolonged personality test with multiple outcomes - just scrutinise the one YOU got.

Wonderful ... I think I'll just delete Hollow Knight now :/ I gave it a quick whirl other week, keep meaning to get back to it, but now it seems it'll just be a chore.

Don't delete it. It's an incredible game. It's just the final DLC which is a bit unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As for multiple endings, I think the Witcher 3 might be guiltier than most for that [last I heard there was 40 possible endings] - All I know is, I was satisfied enough with the one I got. Think of it like a prolonged personality test with multiple outcomes - just scrutinise the one YOU got.

I don't mind multiple endings, as you say they can be a good analysis of how you yourself played the game. What I hate is intentionally hiding the intended "proper" ending behind at arbitrary or sometimes counter intuitive steps ala Hollow Knight. Oh, you didn't collect 100 burgles; or jumped 3 times on the 2nd bosses head; or turn away the free pancake the game kept offering? No real ending for you!! It's not that common to be fair but happens enough that it just comes off a bit mean by the devs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't mind multiple endings, as you say they can be a good analysis of how you yourself played the game. What I hate is intentionally hiding the intended "proper" ending behind at arbitrary or sometimes counter intuitive steps ala Hollow Knight. Oh, you didn't collect 100 burgles; or jumped 3 times on the 2nd bosses head; or turn away the free pancake the game kept offering? No real ending for you!! It's not that common to be fair but happens enough that it just comes off a bit mean by the devs

I started following a walkthrough when playing Sekiro to tell me where to go etc because I went the wrong way at one point and got completely lost, ended up somewhere far too early and had no idea where I was meant to go.

The walkthrough was for the full ending, and there's no way in hell I would have ever figured out some of the stuff you needed to do to unlock it. Some of the things required included talking to a character, but then going outside and eavesdropping on them talking to themselves or another character, then going back in and talking to them again...

Similar with Bloodborne, were because I went and killed an enemy before a certain point, and because I chose certain things to say to one NPC, I missed the chance to get the full ending even though those things are completely arbitrary.

Seems unfair, but I guess some games like that are planned for NG+ playthroughs to get different endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

pixelburp wrote: »

[*] Can I just say I hate this whole 'proper' ending thing beloved of certain games. This gate-keeping of story content behind sometimes excruciating difficult walls, the majority of gamers none the wiser but served an intentionally withholding form of a story. Often without clue there IS a 'true' ending. Just feels like hubris and obnoxiousness IMO.

The Witness did that for me

Arkham Knight was a bollox for this, actually hid the proper and very cool ending behind collecting/completing everything 100% including riddler shyte. Awful move out of them.

Giving up on my Death Stranding platinum dream, I was scrolling through my PS4 digital library to look for a game to play for a week and one that stood out to me was Metal Gear Solid 5. Don't know why, maybe cuz it's similar to Death Stranding, but got an awful craving to play again. Hopefully you can skip cutscenes, I really liked the story but want to just lash into a mission, balloon someone up to the clouds and get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm not sure you can skip cutscenes in MG. I'm not a fan of them generally but when you have enough time to go down the stairs, put the kettle on, put the bins out and paint your house I draw the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Arkham Knight was the worst offender for hiding the true ending.

Also, I hadn't fully twigged the karma thing on Metro Exodus and I was rightly pissed off when I got a terrible ending. Tbh, I also hit a game breaking bug in that game, resulting in me having to replay a couple of hours of the game to get back to the point again, which completely soured my view of it. I had really enjoyed the other two games but Exodus was a piece of shít.

They should be more like Silent Hill 2 where each ending is a satisfying conclusion.

And lets not forget the trend last gen of hiding the true ending behind DLC.

I'd be really annoyed at Asura's Wrath if the DLC wasn't so damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,829 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As annoying as having multiple endings is, they would be even more annoying if we didn't have youtube.
    I finished Binary Domain recently and it had 5 or 6 endings I think. So I finished it and watched the rest.
    Of course that's only if you know there are multiple endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd prefer a collectathon for getting the "true" ending than having to play the game exactly a certain way at a difficulty that's not enjoyable. I know people didn't like the Riddler stuff in Arkham for the proper ending, but I prefer that than the above mentioned lengths you have to go to (and wouldn't have a clue about in general) to get it.

• Advertisement

They should be more like Silent Hill 2 where each ending is a satisfying conclusion.

And lets not forget the trend last gen of hiding the true ending behind DLC.

I'd be really annoyed at Asura's Wrath if the DLC wasn't so damn good.

I got the
    water
    ending in SH2 and i read it was kind of the 'bad' ending but it fit the story so perfectly, i didn't want to unlock the others. What a goddamn masterpiece in psychological horror.

Advertisement