Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

GreeBo wrote: »
    Its busy rotting away now, the smell is atrocious! :)

I've had a few more pieces appear that I've added to the pile, but heres hoping I'm Bindweed free in 2021!

Oh how many times ive said that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

bind weed is very easy to control if you get it early, i just remove them as i see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Had these two lovely visitors today!
    There’s no nicer feeling than planting something for wildlife, then sitting back and watching it come!

524723.jpeg

524722.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kathrinalewis

Red Hare wrote: »
    Allium Christophii on 29th June 2014

This shows some good care of your garden.

20200830_130457.jpg

Todays harvest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

cute carrots

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

cute carrots

I know ha. I planted them in my veg trug and nothing rrally grew great in it this year. I didnt replace the compost and didnt feed nearly enough. Spring onions didnt grow at all. You see one in that pic. They grew to that size in like April and havent done anything since.

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Before
    6-800px.jpg

Sloped back garden, wanted to dig out a flat seated fire-pit area, a few flower beds left and right and replace the lawn with wildflower, except for a little path that goes around.

Firepit-Area-Wildflower-800px.jpg

All the gravel came from digging this area and the bed on the right. Kerbs and bricks were just lying around. I will eventually put in some sort of dry stacked wall and some seating.

Bee-Hotel-Flowers-800px.jpg

A late showing due to the work only kicking off during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Good work!

Do those bee hotels work?

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

To be honest it was more of a father's day project last year to try and get the wee one interested. But I have seen them occupy it alright. I'd say there's more attractive natural alternatives around the place. I've seen leafcutter bees and solitary bees using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Fantastic job
    I love seeing transformations like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

522464.jpeg

522467.jpeg

Geranium Rozanne with musk mallow

LoOks great. Are the flowers in pots?

Thanks! No they’re not in pots, there’s a 2 foot height difference between the lawn and chips, so I backed the soil with sleepers and put the flowers in then. I have pots of lupins, delphiniums and lavender to the front of them in the left hand corner in the top photo but it’s hard to make out in the photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a decent crop of pears for once, they're very hard though..will they ripen on the tree?

pear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Pears are normally picked while they are hard and then ripened indoors. If you turn the pear up at an angle and its breaks off - then its ready to bring indoors. If it doesn't break easily itself then leave it - its not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My mothers sextuplets(6 twins) Sun flower.

526259.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fryup wrote: »
    a decent crop of pears for once, they're very hard though..will they ripen on the tree?

pear.jpg

If its any consolation, mine are the exact same.
    Nice crop of huge (compared to last year anyway) but they are like apples for weeks now.

The birds seems to like them though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Red Hare wrote: »
    Pears are normally picked while they are hard and then ripened indoors. If you turn the pear up at an angle and its breaks off - then its ready to bring indoors. If it doesn't break easily itself then leave it - its not ready yet.

So thats why all the ones on the ground are soft!

maDkhZW

And still can't get my imgur links to work so here's a link.

http://imgur.com/gallery/maDkhZW

Just throwing out an old plant and found an ant colony had been there. I've noticed loads of them in the back and front garden this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Some fruit and veg from the garden.
    Bramley's, 2 types of eating apple, windfall pears,( ripened off in fridge) white, yellow, red carrots, and onions from seed.

[IMG][/img]7xQobYMm.jpg

• Advertisement

I came home this evening to this....a profusion of butterflies! I couldn’t keep track to count, I managed 15 at one stage. I’ve never seen anything like it. Verbena and Wallflower were the biggest hits totally smothered!

526630.jpeg
    526631.jpeg

Had a look at what the caterpillar food plant was for the small tortoiseshell and peacock butterflies, looks like my nettle patch is paying off!! I’d definitely recommend one in a corner of the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I came home this evening to this....a profusion of butterflies! I couldn’t keep track to count, I managed 15 at one stage. I’ve never seen anything like it. Verbena and Wallflower were the biggest hits totally smothered!
    G]

It’s called a profusion of butterflies?! Excellent!

Wasn’t thinking of the collective name, it was just my attempt at sounding poetic :pac: �� Just checked it out “a group of butterflies is called a "swarm," "rabble," "kaleidoscope," or "flutter of butterflies."

Love the term kaleidoscope!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Just planted some daffodils ,got 50kg (yes a lottt! ) , threw them in very thick. Now they’re only along the border of the lawn but I’m worried they won’t grow now. Any idea if they’re a gone case should I dig them up or chance it. Can’t add a pic but just a imagine a trench about 12 inches wide 3 deep in daffodils

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Removing ivy, is there any quick way of doing this? It’s running infront of a wall at the base of hedging. Any tips?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

No quick way. I despise the stuff. Pulling, digging and dragging until you think you have it all is the only way. Followed by tears in a few months when you see it coming back with a vengence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackbox

Skipduke wrote: »
    Just planted some daffodils ,got 50kg (yes a lottt! ) , threw them in very thick. Now they’re only along the border of the lawn but I’m worried they won’t grow now. Any idea if they’re a gone case should I dig them up or chance it. Can’t add a pic but just a imagine a trench about 12 inches wide 3 deep in daffodils

They'll grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Coleus plant I grew in a pot of 100% miscanthus biochar.
    It's getting the snip today for cuttings so I took the picture in remembrance. :pac:

20200924-135158.jpg

20200924-135436.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

That's a beauty.

Advertisement