Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's Serkis so Alfred will actually be CGI.
    They'll just use the captain from the Tintin movie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Just thinking of it practically.....Serkis is 56 which is fine for Alfred. Let's take Bruce is late 20s/early 30s here....that's literally a 20 year age difference.

Plenty of stories in the comics have portrayed Alfred as young enough when taking the job as Butler and the Waynes died so it all squares up. Don't even know why it's a debate!!

It's the internet. Everything's a debate! Or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

CastorTroy wrote: »
    It's Serkis so Alfred will actually be CGI.
    They'll just use the captain from the Tintin movie

Serkis himself mo-capped.

So talented that he cannot let the world she his true form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'd love to see a proper Mr Freeze story. I think his story is the most heart felt out of all the rouges gallery. The character would be a brilliant protagonist, breaking the law to save the one he's love.

Also think about the prospect of DC doing a villian series where the stories are centred around the villian rather than Batman. They could do like short 90min movies from an assortment of directors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd love to see a proper Mr Freeze story. I think his story is the most heart felt out of all the rouges gallery. The character would be a brilliant protagonist, breaking the law to save the one he's love.

Also think about the prospect of DC doing a villian series where the stories are centred around the villian rather than Batman. They could do like short 90min movies from an assortment of directors

I'd say while the film adaptations lean towards the heightened realism seen in Nolan's trilogy and now this (by the looks of things), any of the more openly SciFi characters like Freeze, Clayface or Poison Ivy are out of the question. Which is a pity, because as you say Freeze is a good example of the sympathetic villain. As I said earlier Clayface would be a good way to do a Horror Batman film; styled on "The Thing" where nobody was sure who was who.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd say while the film adaptations lean towards the heightened realism seen in Nolan's trilogy and now this (by the looks of things), any of the more openly SciFi characters like Freeze, Clayface or Poison Ivy are out of the question. Which is a pity, because as you say Freeze is a good example of the sympathetic villain. As I said earlier Clayface would be a good way to do a Horror Batman film; styled on "The Thing" where nobody was sure who was who.

Realistic takes on comic books are fine in part. But you’re going to run out of road very quickly. At least the Marvel movies (for all of their faults) weren’t embarrassed by the inherent silliness of the characters.

Sony are doing it with Spider-Man.

I like the idea of a movie that focuses on the villain but I would still what the heroes in it. Like a Mr.Freeze movie. Show his origins and his entry in to crime and his first encounter with Batman and then the final showdown - but all from Freeze's point of few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

A real world Mr. Freeze would be a mob hitman like the Iceman Kilinsky , who possibly only does it to pay for his wifes medical expenses or a radical treatment.

Poisin Ivy could be a Tyler Durden style anacchist who wants to save the planet by destroying capitalism.

A real world clayface would be much harder!

pixelburp wrote: »
    Realistic takes on comic books are fine in part. But you’re going to run out of road very quickly. At least the Marvel movies (for all of their faults) weren’t embarrassed by the inherent silliness of the characters.

In the right hands even Batman's more outlandish villains can be "realistic".

Poison Ivy could be a serial killier who targets her victims with home made toxins.

I was just looking up real life freeze rays with is I think kind of possible but didn't understand it but I''m sure a talented writer could crack it.

And anyway the far fetched stuff is just as much a part of Batman and Clayface, Freeze etc. would all be great in the hands of a wiriter and/or director who didn't camp it up.

• Advertisement

In the right hands even Batman's more outlandish villains can be "realistic".

Poison Ivy could be a serial killier who targets her victims with home made toxins.

I was just looking up real life freeze rays with is I think kind of possible but didn't understand it but I''m sure a talented writer could crack it.

And anyway the far fetched stuff is just as much a part of Batman and Clayface, Freeze etc. would all be great in the hands of a wiriter and/or director who didn't camp it up.

I just read the original clayface was an actor called Basil Karlo. A film he made was getting remade, but he wasn't cast as clayface, just hired as an advisor. So he wore the costume of clayface, and killed the other actors in the order they were killed on screen.

That sounds quite real worldy, I didn't know his origins.

I just read the original clayface was an actor called Basil Karlo. A film he made was getting remade, but he wasn't cast as clayface, just hired as an advisor. So he wore the costume of clayface, and killed the other actors in the order they were killed on screen.

I saw some of the history of Alfred that is surprising too.

I'm going to look for book on the history and mythology of Batman. More to it than I thought.

That story of Clayface wouldn't be an interesting one for Batman himself in a movie but it would be fun side story for Gordon showing the cops do other work beside what Batman delivers - a scene showing him cracking the case or getting Clayface to confess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, he was partly inspired by Boris Karloff (not that Boris was a real life murderer!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I'd love to see them do Clayface in one of these films. I only know him from the 90s cartoon but those episodes were always a favourite.

He's a little bit out there for the more 'realistic' films but I'd like to see them try.

Mr. Freeze too. Deserves another go after Schwarzenegger's movie iced the whole franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think people get mixed up a lot between realistic and grounded. Nolan’s Batman had plenty of ridiculous, fantastical elements but it was a very grounded universe and everything happening was given real weight.

You can incorporate truly wild comic book elements and still remain grounded. What’s important imo, is that the character have realistic motivations and emotional responses, no matter how ludicrous their ‘gimmick’ or power might be.

Mr Freeze could be done very easily, in fact there’s already the perfect blueprint for how to make him work - Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think people get mixed up a lot between realistic and grounded. Nolan’s Batman had plenty of ridiculous, fantastical elements but it was a very grounded universe and everything happening was given real weight.

You can incorporate truly wild comic book elements and still remain grounded. What’s important imo, is that the character have realistic motivations and emotional responses, no matter how ludicrous their ‘gimmick’ or power might be.

Mr Freeze could be done very easily, in fact there’s already the perfect blueprint for how to make him work - Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2.

I hate it when I hear or read that a filmmaker said "grounded" :P

Production shut down due to Robert Pattinson having Covid-19
    https://www.ign.com/articles/the-batman-production-shutdown-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hmmmm.....what can you do. He had to do press junkets for Tenet didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭kerplun k

F**k this virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Bugga

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lord they probably got nothing done before having to shut down. Presumably they'll do contact tracing on the set now, ensure it hasn't sprung to anyone else.

Would make you wonder how much this is gonna slow down production for the next two years in all likelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Take The Batman into isolation

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

MOR316 wrote: »
    Take The Batman into isolation

Lucky he has the cave :D

He clearly missed the memo that it was bats that started all this. What did Batman expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

CastorTroy wrote: »
    He clearly missed the memo that it was bats that started all this. What did Batman expect?

He's got that mask all wrong too

• Registered Users Posts: 85,684 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Goodshape wrote: »
    He's got that mask all wrong too

Should have borrowed from Bane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm honestly stunned that both The Rock & Pattinson now have Covid-19. I hope they both get well soon. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

filming has begun again

• Advertisement

I take it Pattinson has recovered, or are they filming around his absence?

Advertisement