Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Caranica wrote: »
    Never book Ryanair through a travel agent!
    I usually book direct but this was a package holiday. Relatives that had booked directly with RA to travel in March only received their refund last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I booked direct
    Still waiting on refund
    The latest lie told was that I was mistakenly put on the travel agent queue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I got my money back from Ryanair this week after they made two attempts in the last 4 months to get me to take travel vouchers. Flights were cancelled last week of April. Around 500 euro all in. I had tried to contact them before, but that was a wasted effort.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great to see some of the older cases getting resolved now, they have guaranteed me on chat that I’ll have mine back by the 24th, I don’t believe them. It’s almost a grand so I’d like it!! (Waiting 117 days now)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Can anyone tell me if I have a case here?

Basically, booked Aer Lingus flights for Paddy's weekend (13 -16) March to the UK for 3 people. Decided not to travel due to Cononavirus and the fact that the UK didn't seem to have a grip on the situation. Received an email from AL one minute after the outbound flight was scheduled to depart saying I could change the flights. When I got home, their website indicated that the ability to change flights had been available for a week. This was incredibly annoying.

I logged a complaint on 17 March to say that if they had communicated with me when they changed the policy I could have changed the flights. About a week later I was sent a reply saying I could apply for a voucher, which I did. I chased that about 2 weeks later and told to be patient and that it would be processed. I chased it up again on 19 August and told that in fact that I would not be getting a voucher as the flight was before a particular date in March, but I could accept a refund of taxes less an administration fee (this would effectively amount to a refund of €0).

I replied pointing out again that if they had communicated with me when they changed their policy I could have changed my flights. Today I received the same response that they will only refund the taxes less administration fee and to respond to them if I would like to accept it. They ignored my point about lack of communication.

My credit card company say it is too late to accept a claim as it is after 4 months - I pointed out I was waiting for a reply from AL.

Amount lost is €135, so not huge, but to my mind AL's non-communication caused it. Do I have a case and who should I take it up with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Can anyone tell me if I have a case here?

Basically, booked Aer Lingus flights for Paddy's weekend (13 -16) March to the UK for 3 people. Decided not to travel due to Cononavirus and the fact that the UK didn't seem to have a grip on the situation. Received an email from AL one minute after the outbound flight was scheduled to depart saying I could change the flights. When I got home, their website indicated that the ability to change flights had been available for a week. This was incredibly annoying.

I logged a complaint on 17 March to say that if they had communicated with me when they changed the policy I could have changed the flights. About a week later I was sent a reply saying I could apply for a voucher, which I did. I chased that about 2 weeks later and told to be patient and that it would be processed. I chased it up again on 19 August and told that in fact that I would not be getting a voucher as the flight was before a particular date in March, but I could accept a refund of taxes less an administration fee (this would effectively amount to a refund of €0).

I replied pointing out again that if they had communicated with me when they changed their policy I could have changed my flights. Today I received the same response that they will only refund the taxes less administration fee and to respond to them if I would like to accept it. They ignored my point about lack of communication.

My credit card company say it is too late to accept a claim as it is after 4 months - I pointed out I was waiting for a reply from AL.

Amount lost is €135, so not huge, but to my mind AL's non-communication caused it. Do I have a case and who should I take it up with?

Small claims court might be an option. The fact they originally offered you a voucher should go in your favour. They'll probably just refund you once you start the scc process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

had a similar experience with E-dreams, got nowhere with their customer service. Once they had an email saying they couldnt refund i spoke with my bank who issued a charge back within 3-4 days.

Its the only way you will get a refund

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

skinny90 wrote: »
    had a similar experience with E-dreams, got nowhere with their customer service. Once they had an email saying they couldnt refund i spoke with my bank who issued a charge back within 3-4 days.

Its the only way you will get a refund

Can I ask what bank and card that was, I'm currently waiting since early June on one from AIB (for Ryanair)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

Got my money back from Ryanair, very pleased. Toyed with getting chargeback back in June but decided to wait. Fair enough after I refused the vouchers again 2 weeks ago the money was back in my account.

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Got my money back from Ryanair, very pleased. Toyed with getting chargeback back in June but decided to wait. Fair enough after I refused the vouchers again 2 weeks ago the money was back in my account.

Did you get an email around that time saying your “ticket was closed “
    I’m hoping mine will be here by next week too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Quick question can you reject previously requested Aer Lingus flight vouchers (flights were cancelled back in April) and now go about claiming a refund? How would be best to proceed? Chargeback or is there an official voucher rejection form for Aer Lingus one can fill out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Quick question can you reject previously requested Aer Lingus flight vouchers (flights were cancelled back in April) and now go about claiming a refund? How would be best to proceed? Chargeback or is there an official voucher rejection form for Aer Lingus one can fill out?

Nope,
    If you requested a voucher you did so because
    1. The flight was not cancelled but didn't want to travel
    2. You opted for the 10% voucher instead of cash if the flight was cancelled.

In both cases you waived your right to a cash refund

km79 wrote: »
    Did you get an email around that time saying your “ticket was closed “
    I’m hoping mine will be here by next week too

This is what I got in an email after I had rejected the vouchers once more:

Dear Customer,

We acknowledge your request for a refund in lieu of a travel voucher for your unused booking.

We confirm that your refund request has been processed back to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. Your issuing bank will take 5-7 working days to process this refund amount back to your account.

The amount refunded to your credit/debit card/method of payment is

EUR-263.36 Payment Method:Balancing

EUR-263.36 Payment Method:COVID VO refused

Please note the travel voucher issued has been voided and can no longer be used.

Yours sincerely,

Ryanair Group Customer Care (Ryanair DAC, Lauda & Malta Air)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

pc7 wrote: »
    Can I ask what bank and card that was, I'm currently waiting since early June on one from AIB (for Ryanair)

Boi we got just under the grand we paid back, I’ve used aib in the past and they were good. You do need to keep following up with them if you fail to hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

Nope,
    If you requested a voucher you did so because
    1. The flight was not cancelled but didn't want to travel
    2. You opted for the 10% voucher instead of cash if the flight was cancelled.

In both cases you waived your right to a cash refund

I asked for a voucher back in March. For a flight in April.
    The voucher never came despite numerous calls and emails.
    I started a charge back process with AIB. Thye fobbed me off for a while saying i aplied for a voucher and wasnt entiltled to a refund.

I told them that it doesnt matter if I applied for a refund or a voucher I still didnt get what I paid for and I wanted my money. back.

I got refunded last week.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Boi we got just under the grand we paid back, I’ve used aib in the past and they were good. You do need to keep following up with them if you fail to hear back

Thanks, oh I have, a few times, they said they have 1000’s of requests so are just working through them. Delighted you got sorted so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

I had a Ryanair flight cancelled in March and didn't get refunded at the time like everyone else.

At the time I requested a refund on the chat function, on the temporary refund request system they put on Facebook and also on the refund request form, which I was never sure if it submitted because there was no confirmation.

Eventually I received acknowledgment of its submission, and after some time got a voucher.

At this point I told them I was refusing the voucher but after not receiving any further confirmation/ acknolwedgement/ refund I gave up on getting a cash refund and used some of the voucher - 45 euro of 255 - on a flight which I have now used.

Today, oddly, I received a full refund for the full 255. I can't explain it. Has similar happened anyone else?

They sent me the fooking voucher again!!! This is my RA timeline to date!
    16th May, ryanair cancel flight
    18th May, apply for refund
    28th May, reject voucher, ask for refund, ryanair accept my rejection and say I am on the cash refund queue
    8th June, ryanair offer me the voucher again, I politely decline ask to be put in the cash refund queue
    19th June, ryanair tell me they are busy, am I sure I would not like the voucher, I decline
    13th July, ryanair chat tells me 3-5 weeks for refund
    14th August, they offer me the voucher again, I decline they note I want to stay in the refund queue
    3rd of September, they offer me voucher, I check my status and it stays I booked with a scrapper site (I DIDNT), so ryanair chat tells me I will have my refund by the 24th of September
    16th of September, they send me a reminder to use my voucher! Twitter chat tells me not to worry, I am in the busy refund queue now and it'll be 3-5 weeks!
    Go online for chat and they confirm I will be paid by 24th!

Why have the Government allowed people to be so badly treated at this time. My refund is for almost €1000. I hope I can stick to my convictions and never ever use them again.
    I have also engaged with AIB chargeback since June and I'm just stuck in their queue, it absolutely stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Awful runaround for you. Hopefully you'll get it on 24th.

Good lord almighty
    Got the voucher again
    Losing the will to live with this ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

I got notice of cancellation for August flight in June I rejected the voucher offer and filled out the refund form but I have heard nothing since. I haven’t even been offered another voucher (not that I want one).

What’s the best way of getting speaking to Ryanair? Is the live chat queue still crazy?

km79 wrote: »
    Good lord almighty
    Got the voucher again
    Losing the will to live with this ****e

Did you scroll down to the end of that email where it said I want a cash refund instead or something to that effect? ( I'm sure you did but just checking) After I clicked on it, it gave me a confirmation again of a refund which I screengrabbed just in case I needed it later. I then got the email I showed you a few days later.

Maybe they are paying the smaller amounts first and really pushing the vouchers for the larger amounts.

I hope you get it soon.

Noodles81 wrote: »
    Did you scroll down to the end of that email where it said I want a cash refund instead or something to that effect? ( I'm sure you did but just checking) After I clicked on it, it gave me a confirmation again of a refund which I screengrabbed just in case I needed it later. I then got the email I showed you a few days later.

Maybe they are paying the smaller amounts first and really pushing the vouchers for the larger amounts.

I hope you get it soon.

Yeah i did that alright
    No email followed yet though
    Here’s hoping it was their last attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Here’s a good one, get promised a refund back to my card on the 30th of August, but then get told it’s actually in voucher form. Aer lingus clears lying to me, completely incompetent and a mess.

Praise be to the giant spaghetti monster in the sky, just received the 'we will process your refund in 5-7 days' let this be my last dealing with RA ever!

Praise be to the giant spaghetti monster in the sky, just received the 'we will process your refund in 5-7 days' let this be my last dealing with RA ever!

Your timeline is VERY similar to mine with same stupid story about travel agent q a few weeks ago
    I’m hopeful now
    May as well go on chat

KM79 I also wonder is it the value, mine is for almost 1k, or where those cancelled early (May) just the unlucky batch. Hope you get sorted.

KM79 I also wonder is it the value, mine is for almost 1k, or where those cancelled early (May) just the unlucky batch. Hope you get sorted.

One of mine is for 800 esrly June as well
    The refund status option is now saying my email and booming reference do not match original booking FFS
    Have another smaller refund also saying same thing
    Will go on to chat before lunch

Torture, hope you get sorted. As cute as RA tend to be business wise, I think a lot of people will think twice before dealing with them again, I know I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Got a cancelled October flight refunded by Ryanair today.
    I have another one going back to May but it was on an old credit card so I presume they tried to refund to that one.
    Waiting on the bank to do a chargeback for that.

Surely the banks should have a system in place to pick up when a new card has replaced an old one and allow a refund to the new one.

Progress anyway thankfully.

Advertisement