Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I hope Neil puts it very directly to Pat that him and media like him are a big part of the safety problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Duckjob wrote: »
    I hope Neil puts it very directly to Pat that him and media like him are a big part of the safety problem.

Pat is so awkward at phrasing, is it a subtle undermining or trying to overcome his natural bias?

"I can picture it - a cyclist bent on going straight, which they have every right to do..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Didn't take Pat long to break. Dope

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cyclists with headphones, lack of bells (cyclists shouting at you), need for cyclist education, yawn

I can't believe Pat Kenny is bringing up lack of bicycle bells to a man whose sister was killed by a left turning truck at an unprotected junction.

Mind.Blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hadn't listened to PK in ages. Won't bother doing so again. The guy is a complete bellend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hadn't listened to PK in ages. Won't bother doing so again. The guy is a complete bellend.
    It was really appalling this morning. Completely absolving motorists in a left hook situation. "Has a bike himself" too. :rolleyes:

Prime example why we need Presumed Liability.

Neil is a quality speaker. He can recognise when PK is trying to steer the conversation towards the usual nonsense and just gently pushes it back to what is really important for change.

Of course PK acts all nicey nicey to his face but I'm sure will relish reading out all the usual braindead bilious texts after he's gone. What a two faced snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I remember his pompous and misleading musings on climate change a few years ago. I would have said on that basis that he's been quite an extreme character for quite a while, but I suppose he's not that unusual among right-wing radio carnival barkers. The difference is he has a residual reputation for being a serious current affairs journalist.

Has he been on about "the plumes" lately?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Neil is a quality speaker. He can recognise when PK is trying to steer the conversation towards the usual nonsense and just gently pushes it back to what is really important for change.
    Agree - he did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LeoD

buffalo wrote: »
    Pat is so awkward at phrasing, is it a subtle undermining or trying to overcome his natural bias?

"I can picture it - a cyclist bent on going straight, which they have every right to do..."

I was raging from that point on. Imagine sitting in front of someone who's sister was killed in such a violent manner and interrupting them to speculate out load how she died? What a f**king imbecile.

LeoD wrote: »
    I was raging from that point on. Imagine sitting in front of someone who's sister was killed in such a violent manner and interrupting them to speculate out load how she died? What a f**king imbecile.

I could feel the anger building alright. I don't think I've ever intentionally listened to Newstalk before, but I switched it off shortly after that and I can't see myself ever tuning back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,845 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

https://youtu.be/PrYwCwtX0JM

I can't think of anyone who is a bigger ejit than Pat Kenny in Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I missed this one today and yesterday, thankfully. I mean PK has a nice house in Killiney, a cushy job, probably a nice car he can drive in and out to work from. Living a good life it seems. Why does he have a problem with cyclists? I wonder where he gets this from?

I missed this one today and yesterday, thankfully. I mean PK has a nice house in Killiney, a cushy job, probably a nice car he can drive in and out to work from. Living a good life it seems. Why does he have a problem with cyclists? I wonder where he gets this from?

To be fair to PK, although he does seem to have some personal axe to grind, really he's just a cog in a large machine.

NT is, was and always will be horribly car-centric. When you switch on their stream, chances are first thing you'll hear is a car advert from one of their motoring sponsors. Their whole world revolves around promoting cars and driving as the only way to "do the important grown-up stuff" on this island. Anything else is seen as childish and "getting in the way".

They know their market too. They preach to a largely frustrated and frazzled audience while they sit captive in their cars on their daily commutes, and they realise there's a market in stirring up these angry people about anything that does not conform to the motor-centric way, and people cycling are at the top of that list.

To be fair to PK, although he does seem to have some personal axe to grind, really he's just a cog in a large machine.

NT is, was and always will be horribly car-centric. When you switch on their stream, chances are first thing you'll hear is a car advert from one of their motoring sponsors. Their whole world revolves around promoting cars and driving as the only way to "do the important grown-up stuff" on this island. Anything else is seen as childish and "getting in the way".

They know their market too. They preach to a largely frustrated and frazzled audience while they sit captive in their cars on their daily commutes, and they realise there's a market in stirring up these angry people about anything that does not conform to the motor-centric way, and people cycling are at the top of that list.

Thank you for summing it up so nicely. Describes NT perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I used to listen to NT all the time. Now I can't stomach PK, obviously I can't listen to the breakfast show because of **shudder** Ciara Kelly, and Off the Ball is so repetitive and drawn out these days I can't be bothered with that either.
    RTE radio 1 for me these days, a sign I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,845 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I used to listen to NT all the time. Now I can't stomach PK, obviously I can't listen to the breakfast show because of **shudder** Ciara Kelly, and Off the Ball is so repetitive and drawn out these days I can't be bothered with that either.

These things are cyclical. 2fm was set up for the kids till the presenters and the kids got too old and some other station starts aiming for the kids and so on. Currently it's news talk for the oldies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine did this after i mentioned the pat kenny tweets in a group chat yesterday.

https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1303674730701086720

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Overpaid RTE "star" interviewing overpaid RTE "star". This is why we pay our license fees.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I listened to the interview today but didn't bother waiting for Pat to read out the listeners texts. Anyone hear what bile was sent in by the listeners today?

I listened to the interview today but didn't bother waiting for Pat to read out the listeners texts. Anyone hear what bile was sent in by the listeners today?

I only heard him read out one which was asking why cyclists don't wear helmets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Me as well, I got out when that "journalist" Paul was brought in to cover the morning show. I can still tolerate off the ball for sports I have a passing interest in but the effort of trying to tune in with all the waffle they fill it with, I don't bother anymore. The NPR, TED talks and the Science show are grand, short and focused, but the rest of it is flag waving dribble from all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I would love to see the context for that quote. Whether there's some justification, or whether "cyclists overtaking cars" is some kind of evil in itself.

The person must not drive at rush hour in the city, or presumably they'd be driven demented by all the cyclists overtaking cars!

I had a brief read of the consultation report this morning. Turns out there was zero context for the "cyclists overtaking cars" comment.
    What drivers are saying?
    * Watching speedometer would take concentration off the road. Cyclists overtaking cars.

How did this make it into the final report?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLDCtU_2zrha_J5UD-1rAP7Fqc3gj_ZX/view

• Registered Users Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I had a brief read of the consultation report this morning. Turns out there was zero context for the "cyclists overtaking cars" comment.

How did this make it into the final report?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nLDCtU_2zrha_J5UD-1rAP7Fqc3gj_ZX/view

"This appears to be a measure aimed at reducing the quality of life for Dubliners, by
    discouraging travel within the city and could potentially reduce the footfall in local
    business at a time, when they are already struggling with a difficult economic"

All sorts of wrongness here.

Not usual for the Irish Times to have a story that is pro-cycling...
    Róisín Ingle: Dublin’s bike revolution isn’t a cyclist-vs-motorist battle
    Bicycles – or ‘Freedom Machines’ – are having an excellent pandemic. I stand and rejoice
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/r%C3%B3is%C3%ADn-ingle-dublin-s-bike-revolution-isn-t-a-cyclist-vs-motorist-battle-1.4354523

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Róisín Ingle: Dublin’s bike revolution isn’t a cyclist-vs-motorist battle
    Bicycles – or ‘Freedom Machines’ – are having an excellent pandemic. I stand and rejoice
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/r%C3%B3is%C3%ADn-ingle-dublin-s-bike-revolution-isn-t-a-cyclist-vs-motorist-battle-1.4354523

this was a clever line written by Róisín
    Three of the women, the three under 80, arrived at my house under their own steam thanks to their Freedom Machines.

• Advertisement

Driver (33) who struck and killed father of three walks free
    A man who knocked down and killed a cyclist has walked free from court.

Liam Cannon (33), of Derryconor, Gortahork, Co Donegal, had pleaded guilty to careless driving causing the death of Noel McDermott (43) in ­Gortahork.

Mr McDermott, a father of three originally from Hawthorn Heights in Letterkenny, died when he was struck by Mr Cannon on the afternoon of January 26, 2018.

He died at the scene of the collision, which took place on a sharp bend.
    The investigation concluded that Cannon was going too fast into the bend to safely negotiate it and lost control of the car at speed and struck Mr McDermott.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/driver-33-who-struck-and-killed-father-of-three-walks-free-39535008.html

Advertisement