Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown and restrictions all for nothing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,523 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He makes a load of rubbish claims, has no qualification to be making comment really so he’s just another internet crank.

And making a video that’s 37minutes long he just loves the sound of his own voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

_Brian wrote: »
    he just loves the sound of his own voice.

It's a superb voice to be fair. I'm nearly sure I've heard him on some advertisements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Great watch.

Prof. Astley is really amazing at conveying complex ideas in a simple way.

He knows the rules ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭plodder

He's mentioned in this article in the Irish Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/draconian-restrictions-around-covid-19-condemned-by-hse-doctor-1.4352701

I watched the first bit of the video and some of what he claims is unproven (eg the 80% immunity) so I can understand why some react negatively to it. But, his graphs comparing excess mortality this year with previous years are quite thought provoking and his theory why Sweden suffered more than its neighbours sounds plausible.

I don't get the anti-mask stuff though.
    while the wearing of masks is an ineffective “politically driven endeavour”,
    "politically driven endeavour". That is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

WHO have said lockdowns are nit the way forward so I’d agree with the video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

plodder wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/draconian-restrictions-around-covid-19-condemned-by-hse-doctor-1.4352701

I watched the first bit of the video and some of what he claims is unproven (eg the 80% immunity) so I can understand why some react negatively to it. But, his graphs comparing excess mortality this year with previous years are quite thought provoking and his theory why Sweden suffered more than its neighbours sounds plausible.

Didn’t the WHO say that they bowed to political pressure regarding masks rather than scientific evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

plodder wrote: »

Have cases gone up or down since compulsory mask wearing came in? It’s theatre, and gives people a dangerous feeling of invincibility once it’s on, so other, proven methods of reducing transmission get left by the wayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

I believe that the only thing lockdown and the restrictions have achieved is the destruction of the economy, a mental health crisis, increased numbers of suicides, and a muzzled populace. And the government has destroyed humanity, small businesses and the soul of the country. I think they did it on purpose, but I'll save those thoughts for the Conspiracy forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Lockdown isn't the answer.

Strict social distancing & good hygiene is. Unfortunately there is a sizeable cohort who find this unpalatable. This is why the govt steps in and introduces restrictions/lockdowns.

Govt are very worried about the health service collapsing (too worried?). They are acutely aware of how precarious the service is at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jackal wrote: »
    Have cases gone up or down since compulsory mask wearing came in? It’s theatre, and gives people a dangerous feeling of invincibility once it’s on, so other, proven methods of reducing transmission get left by the wayside.

Just because cases have gone up doesn’t mean masks aren’t having an effect. Cases are going up because young people are having house parties. Thankfully most people can understand why masks help reduce transmission. If you can’t understand it that’s fine there’s enough of us wearing them for it be effective so masks aren’t really an issue of contention anymore.

• Advertisement

Dionaibh wrote: »
    I believe that the only thing lockdown and the restrictions have achieved is the destruction of the economy, a mental health crisis, increased numbers of suicides, and a muzzled populace. And the government has destroyed humanity, small businesses and the soul of the country. I think they did it on purpose, but I'll save those thoughts for the Conspiracy forum.

I think the idea that they did this on purpose is nonsense.

1) Which govt? Leo's or MM?
    2) Which parties in the govt?
    3) Why would they purposely destroy the 'soul of the country' ? Are they evil psychopaths?
    4) Are you an adult?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Didn’t the WHO say that they bowed to political pressure regarding masks rather than scientific evidence.

Yes they have openly admitted that. Say no to these stupid gas masks.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Yes they have openly admitted that. Say no to these stupid gas masks.

I've not seen one person wearing a gas mask.
    I have seen plenty wearing cloth face coverings.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just because cases have gone up doesn’t mean masks aren’t having an effect. Cases are going up because young people are having house parties. Thankfully most people can understand why masks help reduce transmission. If you can’t understand it that’s fine there’s enough of us wearing them for it be effective so masks aren’t really an issue of contention anymore.

Cases have gone up because they're testing more and the the testing is unreliable. I read about a woman in Tennessee who died six months ago and whose son received a letter the other week saying she'd tested positive for Covid-19. It seems that even dead people can get it.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I think the idea that they did this on purpose is nonsense.

1) Which govt? Leo's or MM?
    2) Which parties in the govt?
    3) Why would they purposely destroy the 'soul of the country' ? Are they evil psychopaths?
    4) Are you an adult?

Check out The Great Reset. I don't want to say too much because I'll be accused of being a conspiracy theorist and I don't want to be prevented from posting here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Anyone who wants a lockdown should go ahead walk away from their job and just throw away the key until the boogy man goes away.
    Order your shopping online
    Your call...

And leave the rest of us get on with it.

I wonder how much tax and Vat they've collected from sanatizer and masks ???

I know that Covid is out there but we're a resilient species and at this stage Covid seems to be the new religion and every fckn thing about it has some people petrified.

Cover your face and bless yourself with alcohol at every chance you have, oh and we're going to have to restrain ourselves from pronouncing the letter p and b because it's going to make us spit.

Pppppp bbbbbb pppppp pppppp

If you don't have a face covering you're not an achiever, and a potential KILLER according to SJW type's they love all this the SJWs and lefties anything to do with control and shutting people down...

Pppppp bbbbbb pppppp PPPPPP bbbbbb BBBBB

No buts about it, he/she used P or B killer you're trying to kill us alll.

Anyhow I'm off now picking wall nuts up in a hazle wood in the Burren....or Urren :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

The difference between what I said and what you said is I stated a fact - that cases have gone up since compulsory mask wearing came in. You are blaming house parties, which is a theory.

Masks I am sure are good if worn correctly etc but empirical evidence would suggest most are not because we don’t live in a controlled lab environment and real life is much more messy. Everywhere I go, disposable masks are being dragged out of the back pocket for the umpteenth time, then worn around the neck until the last second before entering the shop etc, then often covers one of the mouth/nose/chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The only people supporting lockdowns are in secure well paid jobs as far as I can see. Handy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This seems to be more of a justification for your own viewpoint than actual proof. They are used in fairly low risk locations and on their own really and would be useless in situations where cases are emerging.

nthclare wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a lockdown should go ahead walk away from their job and just throw away the key until the boogy man goes away.
    Order your shopping online
    Your call...

And leave the rest of us get on with it.

I wonder how much tax and Vat they've collected from sanatizer and masks ???

I know that Covid is out there but we're a resilient species and at this stage Covid seems to be the new religion and every fckn thing about it has some people petrified.

Cover your face and bless yourself with alcohol at every chance you have, oh and we're going to have to restrain ourselves from pronouncing the letter p and b because it's going to make us spit.

Pppppp bbbbbb pppppp pppppp

If you don't have a face covering you're not an achiever, and a potential KILLER according to SJW type's they love all this the SJWs and lefties anything to do with control and shutting people down...

Pppppp bbbbbb pppppp PPPPPP bbbbbb BBBBB

No buts about it, he/she used P or B killer you're trying to kill us alll.

Anyhow I'm off now picking wall nuts up in a hazle wood in the Burren....or Urren :)

You're right. Emigrating is the only option, I think.

• Advertisement

The only people supporting lockdowns are in secure well paid jobs as far as I can see. Handy for them.

Yep.

Because they're the achiever's in society, but watch this space the IT sector and a lot of fluff jobs are going to implode, all those vvankrs thinking they're safe from working from home earning huge wages for moving a mouse around now and again in their jocks are in for a big shock I tell you.

A big shock

You're right. Emigrating is the only option, I think.

The only problem is these liberal Covid worshipping loons are everywhere it's like a psych tsunami, almost like a religion that came out from nowhere..

All hail lord Covid lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Check out The Great Reset. I don't want to say too much because I'll be accused of being a conspiracy theorist and I don't want to be prevented from posting here.

I've had a quick peek and it's very idealistic but sadly utterly opportunistic at present. What people want and need is a return to something they understand as normality not more proposals to turn the world upside down. Paradoxically, it might have interested people more if we hadn't had COVID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

jackal wrote: »
    The difference between what I said and what you said is I stated a fact - that cases have gone up since compulsory mask wearing came in. You are blaming house parties, which is a theory.

Masks I am sure are good if worn correctly etc but empirical evidence would suggest most are not because we don’t live in a controlled lab environment and real life is much more messy. Everywhere I go, disposable masks are being dragged out of the back pocket for the umpteenth time, then worn around the neck until the last second before entering the shop etc, then often covers one of the mouth/nose/chin.

Blaming house parties is not a theory. It’s been stated multiple times as the main cause by NPHET and government. They know this through contact tracing done by the HSE.

Empirical evidence? You mean anecdotal evidence. The vast majority wear them properly. You may not like the masks, I certainly don’t but the evidence and my personal feelings on the matter or two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Twitter thread here about the excess deaths thing, saying it's bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Long Twitter thread by an actual doctor here: https://twitter.com/juniordrblog/status/1305861383607771137?s=19

And a very long video from him: https://youtu.be/DUDg5ossirU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Long Twitter thread by an actual doctor here: https://twitter.com/juniordrblog/status/1305861383607771137?s=19

And a very long video from him: https://youtu.be/DUDg5ossirU

An actual junior hospital doctor.
    I can see some obvious flaws in several of his counterpoints straight off the bat.
    For example he quotes a study in the Lancet in support of masks, but when you click into it, all the study says is that masks "could" reduce transmission.

Cummins is held in high regard, he speaks internationally at cardiology conferences.
    He has had some very esteemed guests on his podcast supporting his position on Covid, including a recent Nobel science laureate (Michael Levitt) as well as professor Beda Stadler & numerous medical doctors far more qualified than the junior doctor here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Lol Michael Levit? Yeh he has certainly come out with a few peaches over the last while. Some of his recent claims have made a mockery of his entire reputation. He stated with confidence that spread would cease in USA at 150k deaths or something meanwhile the US is projected to hit 300-400k deaths this winter. As he has made it abundantly obvious that having a novel laureate in whatever doesn't mean your opinion on subjects outside tour field of expertise will be worth the slightest damn.

Advertisement