Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to discuss right to protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The FNG wrote: »
    If you can protest about some random black guy getting killed in America then you can certainly protest about issues in your own country.

Equating a civil liberties matter with conspiracy theorist. Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Absolute rubbish. They showed up to counter protest and, as they always do, the far righters turned violent because they simply cannot hack anyone disagreeing with them. If the far right are allowed protest then the rest of us are just as free to counter protest. Freedom of speech goes both ways.

Says a lot that you think non-far right people exercising their freedom of speech deserves violence being meted out to them, though.

I heard an interview with her today and she actually turned up to observe and didn't open her mouth. The speaker recognised her and drew the crowds attention to them and that's when they were attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Augme

theres a world of difference between standing on the other side of the street or standing on oconnell street as other counter protestors did and going in to the middle of a group of protestors and screaming trying to silence the original protest. The far left have rented PA equipment, brought megaphones etc.. to anti mask / anti paedophile protests trying to shut them down.

there is definitely a violent element on both sides. But I never see anybody bring equipment to left protests which stops people from hearing speakers or people walking right into the middle of protests and kicking off.

That's because the far right brigade are cowards. They would be far too scared to gett involved in any situation where they were outnumbered.

You see in their behaviour how they are happy to pick on a tiny group of women. But anything more than that they would just be too scared. Its a bit embarrassing for them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Absolute rubbish. They showed up to counter protest and, as they always do, the far righters turned violent because they simply cannot hack anyone disagreeing with them. If the far right are allowed protest then the rest of us are just as free to counter protest. Freedom of speech goes both ways.

Says a lot that you think non-far right people exercising their freedom of speech deserves violence being meted out to them, though.

being opposed to wearing masks doesnt make you " far right "

the " far right " movement in ireland is miniscule and has no power in terms of media , the far left is large and has loads of friends in media

the activist class need to exaggerate the " far right " presence , its good for their career never mind anything else

The FNG wrote: »
    If you can protest about some random black guy getting killed in America then you can certainly protest about issues in your own country.

And once the issue of covid has passed, I have no issue with anyone wishing to peacefully protest. They can protest the sun rising, or inheritance tax. Whatever. Go for it. Once covid has passed.

Protesting now is irresponsible, and puts others at risk.

• Advertisement

ceannbui wrote: »
    jesus, just ban ratlickers from licking rats in public during a pandemic. its pretty ****ing simple. Conspiracy theory is the gateway to fascism, because to believe in the tenets of fascism requires an abandonment of critical thinking and trust in science in order to twist your understanding of the world in such a way that fascist nonsense makes sense. People should stop playing games with these fascists and understand that the goal is to reshape the body politic in such a way that minorities and leftists are excluded, exported or executed

the WOKE left abandon science when it comes to believing in multiple genders ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    being opposed to wearing masks doesnt make you " far right "

the " far right " movement in ireland is miniscule and has no power in terms of media , the far left is large and has loads of friends in media

the activist class need to exaggerate the " far right " presence , its good for their career never mind anything else

You should know well by now, that all you have to do is oppose these people on one issue alone to be labelled "far right". It's becoming a meaningless term politically.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

TomTomTim wrote: »
    The irony here is too much. Most of the people here against the right to protest for people that they don't like are not far right, they are on your side of the spectrum.
    theres a world of difference between standing on the other side of the street or standing on oconnell street as other counter protestors did and going in to the middle of a group of protestors and screaming trying to silence the original protest. The far left have rented PA equipment, brought megaphones etc.. to anti mask / anti paedophile protests trying to shut them down.

there is definitely a violent element on both sides. But I never see anybody bring equipment to left protests which stops people from hearing speakers or people walking right into the middle of protests and kicking off.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    This is genuinely hilarious. Kamikaze and her mates turn up to these protests simply because they want anyone who doesn't agree with them thrown off the streets. Isn't her mad mate Doherty the one who flings milkshakes over people she doesnt agree with? They're notoriously intolerant.
    None of that changes the fact that it was only the far righters that attacked someone that had the sheer audacity to exercise her right to free speech and counter protest their rally. Again, says a lot about all of you that all you do is try to excuse and justify the violence when it's against people you disagree with.

And as usual, we're seeing "the term far right has lost all meaning", because admitting that they exist would force their defenders to admit they support violence against anyone that disagrees with them.

Which they do, of course, as evinced by their continual excuses and pitiful justifications. I'm sure you're only sorry you weren't there with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

And once the issue of covid has passed, I have no issue with anyone wishing to peacefully protest. They can protest the sun rising, or inheritance tax. Whatever. Go for it. Once covid has passed.

Protesting now is irresponsible, and puts others at risk.

So freedom of expression is for those who fit in with your beliefs and follow whatever the current government say.

Those not conforming, are therefore either irresponsible, conspiracy theorists, far left, far right.

Find the fact the government is talking about discussing this terrifying.

Anyone for limited Martial Law? Only for the irresponsible, conspiracy theorists, far left, far right etc.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You should know well by now, that all you have to do is oppose these people on one issue alone to be labelled "far right". It's becoming a meaningless term politically.

sure you're either a paedo or a nazi now, theres absolutely 0 middle ground. most people out there are protesting peacefully but theres a handful of thugs and the counter protesting thugs draw them out into clashes.

Ireland has such a tiny far right movement it barely exists , so the larger (but still tiny) far left movement have to pretend that everything is far right in order to perpetuate fear that somehow a country that is governed by centre left politics with the same crowd of far left td's and mep's getting re-elected, that roundly has rejected the political campaigns of anyone even vaguely right of centre , is somehow under attack from the far right.

• Advertisement

323 wrote: »
    So freedom of expression is for those who fit in with your beliefs and follow whatever the current government say.

Those not conforming, are therefore either irresponsible, conspiracy theorists, far left, far right.

Find the fact the government is talking about discussing this terrifying.

Anyone for limited Martial Law? Only for the irresponsible, conspiracy theorists, far left, far right etc.

Hilarious... where in my post did I allude to any of that?

Protests increase the risk of transmission... yes? Simple question. Yes/No.

screeching slogan is all the hysterical left have

sure you're either a paedo or a nazi now, theres absolutely 0 middle ground. most people out there are protesting peacefully but theres a handful of thugs and the counter protesting thugs draw them out into clashes.

Ireland has such a tiny far right movement it barely exists , so the larger (but still tiny) far left movement have to pretend that everything is far right in order to perpetuate fear that somehow a country that is governed by centre left politics with the same crowd of far left td's and mep's getting re-elected, that roundly has rejected the political campaigns of anyone even vaguely right of centre , is somehow under attack from the far right.

perhaps these hustlers feel with the country under serious attack beit through brexit or covid 19 ( real stuff ) , they need to ramp up the rhetoric about the " far right menace " in order to remain relevant and more importantly funded ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Right, except the cut is in the same place in both pictures...... The "skin flap" is a blood soaked fringe.

I dont know what I am looking at but this is not a blood soaked fringe https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114611237&postcount=52

and doesnt appear to be the same wound as https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114612242&postcount=63
    I asked a physician to look at the first picture who has no knowledge of the photo's origin and she thinks its not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Marcos

paw patrol wrote: »
    you both miss the point, once the principal is set of what is a worthy cause or not then we fall down the hole of banning the ones we (or those in power) don't like.

If you don't see that , then there is no point arguing with you.
    We all laugh cos Gemma today and then get pissy cos it's your cause next year...
    We have 2 authoritarian personalities in power at the moment coveney and michael martin both would only relish the thought of banning protests they didn't like.

This, a thousand times this. Look at it like the canary in the mine. Once the establishment get away with banning certain protests do you think they're going to allow others that they don't like? How many of the people here calling for banning the right to protest were at the water charges protests?

If they had the opportunity to stop the anti water charges protests you can bet they'd have done it. And that's something else that hasn't gone away. Dinny O'Brien is waiting in the long grass and people won't have the right to protest if FG get their way.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 KillTheTories

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    screeching slogan is all the hysterical left have

And disgusting bigotry and hundreds of thousands of deaths are all the centre/far right(Reich) have.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

I'm not putting any vaccine in my body no matter how much those trying to control the narrative push it. I guess that makes me far right as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I'm not putting any vaccine in my body no matter how much those trying to control the narrative push it. I guess that makes me far right as well.

Let the "New Irish" and the maskgestapo go first.

And disgusting bigotry and hundreds of thousands of deaths are all the centre/far right(Reich) have.

This is ridiculous. Ireland has no history of racial superiority nor with the subjugation of other people under the guise of nationalism. Nationalist groups which protest against immigration, or the desire for an predominately Irish Ireland, don't come close to the far right in countries which have a long history of such movements.

Even if there was a substantial far right group in Ireland, it wouldn't represent the things that a far right group in Germany or the US would.

This is the problem here. Context. People jumping to extremes, and making inappropriate associations simply because they don't agree with the messages being made. Can we stop with the extremes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bad road to be going down.

If protest is banned what will the gardai do if people ignore the rule and hold another protest?

Will they beat them off the streets with batons and water cannon?

Hardly...

Gardaí accused of concealing evidence on baton use

Garda admits 'excessive force' in May Day protest

Garda who hit man over head with baton during 2002 May Day protests now an expert adviser on ethics in force

Gardaí gave 'misleading' information to Ombudsman on student protest

Gardaí whose evidence was contradicted by video footage should potentially face perjury charges: TD

Protesting is all the people have when the government are found crony and wanting. I mean FF/FG ffs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's great that the numbers are small when it comes to the far right in Ireland and that it hasn't taken off like it has elsewhere over the past few years. I don't think that will change too much. The country will never tolerate utter scum like the National Party being anywhere near power.

After reading about the assault on the woman on Saturday I had a look at the twitter accounts of some of the organisers of the rally and others that attended it. There's some shocking stuff that is being left up on there. An ugly mix of the worst type of racism, xenophobia and antisemitism. Twitter really need to up there game on this.

They still should have the right to assemble and postest unless there is a temporary ban on such things due to the virus. Not that they are anymore concerned about masks as they are about peodophiles, and are just using these things as an attempt to draw new people in, but it's up to others to make their own mind up on that.
    The thugs on show again on Saturday, some of who we have seen previously being violent and aggressive should be delt with by the Guards and ordered to stay away in future if they can't behave themselves.

sabat wrote: »
    The evidence that convinced me was this video from around the 23 second mark, so voila:

https://twitter.com/BaronStrucker/status/1304832503119839232

That guy you linked thinks the Jews are responsible for 911

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The right the protest is not Government sanctioned endownment, but is a reflection of the constituion which in turn is a reflection of the natural right to peacefully protest for a free people. That is is a summary of my consitutional law module. That the government seeks to overreach and ban such, after laying the groundwork by planning to do so for Pro-Life protests is not a surprise, that they are doing so in such a short time is. This betokens a level of hubris and lack of self awareness that has not been seen outside the realm of Ancien Regiem.

yeah , thats what the centre right want , to bring about another third reich

FFS :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Acosta wrote: »
    That guy you linked thinks the Jews are responsible for 911

Who cares? I have no idea who they are; I just searched for the video. Does that make it fake or something?

sabat wrote: »
    Who cares? I have no idea who they are; I just searched for the video. Does that make it fake or something?

Fair enough if you're not bothered about where you're getting your information from. I thought it necessary to point that particular nugget of fake bull**** came from an antisemitic conspiracy theorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mulbot

It's great that the numbers are small when it comes to the far right in Ireland and that it hasn't taken off like it has elsewhere over the past few years. I don't think that will change too much. The country will never tolerate utter scum like the National Party being anywhere near power.

After reading about the assault on the woman on Saturday I had a look at the twitter accounts of some of the organisers of the rally and others that attended it. There's some shocking stuff that is being left up on there. An ugly mix of the worst type of racism, xenophobia and antisemitism. Twitter really need to up there game on this.

They still should have the right to assemble and postest unless there is a temporary ban on such things due to the virus. Not that they are anymore concerned about masks as they are about peodophiles, and are just using these things as an attempt to draw new people in, but it's up to others to make their own mind up on that.
    The thugs on show again on Saturday, some of who we have seen previously being violent and aggressive should be delt with by the Guards and ordered to stay away in future if they can't behave themselves.

Again, there were 3 protests Saturday. Try not to mix up what happened in that twitter clip, with the other 2 protests which were peaceful and without incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Why is it the people who shout racist, far right etc all possess a frail or obese body, usually depend on government support, are weak, vegan, feminist etc.

There is a commonality, my money is on low or next to non existent testosterone.

Low-T "men" are easier to control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Fair enough if you're not bothered about where you're getting your information from. I thought it necessary to point that particular nugget of fake bull**** came from an antisemitic conspiracy theorist.

So the video is fake yeah? Is that what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

mulbot wrote: »
    Again, there were 3 protests Saturday. Try not to mix up what happened in that twitter clip, with the other 2 protests which were peaceful and without incident.

On that note there were up to 1000 people at that protest that weren't involved on that incident seen on the Twitter clip

Advertisement