Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

....or Portstewart, or Tralee, or Waterville or The European
    Spoilt we are

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    Sounds great.
    I agree with you, Portrush is on a different planet to any other course I've played (I've yet to RCD), has everything, only Lahinch comes close to it

Yea its just far superior to everything else I have played. I haven't played RCD or Lahinch yet. I have walked both of them. Both are out of reach at the moment.
    Maybe next year.

Planning to get Rosses Point in before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This post is spot on. :)

Thanks!!

I actually think now is the obvious time of year to do it, late September into October and early November. Clubs have had their majors over with and any GUI or pro tournament hosting that was to be done.

Imagine if they even worked together. BallyB, lahinch and Waterville all the same week, Royaler, Portmarnock, The Island another week, Old Head, Fota, Cork GC. The northwestern courses are more affordable and do have more opens but there’s endless possibilities. Portrush, RCD, Portstewart.....

Would get a great buzz going, local hoteliers and B&Bs would love the boost with most of the Americans gone (in a normal year). Be great craic getting three lads in the car, booking a few nights in a B&B or local hotel and playing 3 different spots for affordable competitive golf.

The upside for the GUI? I have a big number of mates, colleagues, acquaintances who love golfing, but have no interest in joining anywhere. Happy out to pick up a green fee 12 times a year and play for the craic, if they were not invited on a similar trip because they weren’t a card carrying member, 350 quid to join Corballis or Elm Green or somewhere else affordable might come on the radar.

Just a thought.

Anyways, Portmarnock have put on an extra day, October 19th, and I got a slot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Thanks!!

I actually think now is the obvious time of year to do it, late September into October and early November. Clubs have had their majors over with and any GUI or pro tournament hosting that was to be done.

Imagine if they even worked together. BallyB, lahinch and Waterville all the same week, Royaler, Portmarnock, The Island another week, Old Head, Fota, Cork GC. The northwestern courses are more affordable and do have more opens but there’s endless possibilities. Portrush, RCD, Portstewart.....

Would get a great buzz going, local hoteliers and B&Bs would love the boost with most of the Americans gone (in a normal year). Be great craic getting three lads in the car, booking a few nights in a B&B or local hotel and playing 3 different spots for affordable competitive golf.

The upside for the GUI? I have a big number of mates, colleagues, acquaintances who love golfing, but have no interest in joining anywhere. Happy out to pick up a green fee 12 times a year and play for the craic, if they were not invited on a similar trip because they weren’t a card carrying member, 350 quid to join Corballis or Elm Green or somewhere else affordable might come on the radar.

Just a thought.

Anyways, Portmarnock have put on an extra day, October 19th, and I got a slot!!

There are loads of 3 day events on, great north links Portrush, Portstewart and Ballyliffin Is probably the best.

Ardglass RCD not sure of the 3rd course.

https://www.thegolfpa.com/ireland-amateur-tournaments

Most listed here you can book most golf only thru the clubs rather than the packages on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

For me, the BIG 5 are Portrush, RCD, Portmarnock, Lahinch and Ballybunion. To those, I would add Baltray which I think is criminally underrated.

I could argue these 6 in any order any day of the week but if I was pushed, I’d say Portrush was the best and Lahinch was my favourite.

Watch out though: The new course at Rosapenna / St.Patricks will make a serious attempt at usurping the top order.

I played Lahinch twice last year and while I enjoyed it, my expectations weren't exceeded! The first 5 holes are very ordinary to say the least and I think the Dell (blind Par 3) is just a gimmick. 18 is a bit of a let-down after playing some really great holes from 6 to 17.
    My favourites in no particular order (that I've played) would be Waterville, Enniscrone and Rosses Point (OK, I'm biased!!). Having walked around Portrush, it looked spectacular. To be really controversial, I'd also add Headfort New to that list: maybe it's to do with the fact that I play links almost exclusively and a really good parkland is a great change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I played Lahinch twice last year and while I enjoyed it, my expectations weren't exceeded! The first 5 holes are very ordinary to say the least and I think the Dell (blind Par 3) is just a gimmick.

The 3rd is far from ordinary to be fair. I can understand people's differing opinions on 4 & 5 but 6, 7 and 8 make up for them, superb holes. 1 & 2 are good holes too, maybe 2 is short but the elevated tee and playing back in to town makes it a memorable hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

The 3rd is far from ordinary to be fair. I can understand people's differing opinions on 4 & 5 but 6, 7 and 8 make up for them, superb holes. 1 & 2 are good holes too, maybe 2 is short but the elevated tee and playing back in to town makes it a memorable hole

They're not bad holes but they're not as good as I expected (apart from 5, I just don't see the attraction: I think it's a silly hole but each to their own). Having said that, I could play 11, 12 and 13 in a loop all day, every day and not get bored!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I played Lahinch twice last year and while I enjoyed it, my expectations weren't exceeded! The first 5 holes are very ordinary to say the least and I think the Dell (blind Par 3) is just a gimmick. 18 is a bit of a let-down after playing some really great holes from 6 to 17.
    My favourites in no particular order (that I've played) would be Waterville, Enniscrone and Rosses Point (OK, I'm biased!!). Having walked around Portrush, it looked spectacular. To be really controversial, I'd also add Headfort New to that list: maybe it's to do with the fact that I play links almost exclusively and a really good parkland is a great change.

Poor Old Tom Morris must have just spun a little bit in his grave, think 4 and 5 are his only originals on the layout from 1800’s. One of the best front 9s in golf I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It is indeed nice to play a hole completely untouched in over a hundred years (The Dell, blind par 3) from an icon in course architecture

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

anyone else feel we should be sending out a search party around belmullet for Kiith?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Anyone know Ballyliffin well? Playing there tomorrow. Any advice or tips? Is it a keep the driver in the bag sort of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

plenty of holes allow for driver but a lot of fairway bunkers that I like to play short off.

May run out of room on 6, 12 and 18. No real blind shots.

Good flyover of most holes on their website but i see they've mixed up the courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

It’s cancelled because of weather warnings ffs! Ah well, I’ll get again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And i'm back alive...just about :D

So, Carne...what a course. One of, if not, the best i've ever played on. Some of those holes are just crazy. Everything is just so wild, and it really does look like they just lay grass on whatever was there already, with little to no changes made. Got completely lost on the 1st and 13th (where i played up the 12th and 18th by accident and was really confused), and hole19 was having a very hard time figuring out where i was, so i was trying to figure out my own distances, which often didn't go well. Other then that, loved every minute of it. My driving wasn't working well, but when i hit it the ball went forever. Nearly drove one of the greens (4 or 5, up the hill?). When i was off center, i was punished severely on several holes though, and that killed me. Irons and putting were ok though. Shot 28 points on the Dunes 18 which i wasn't that happy with, then 21 points on the old back 9 which i was very happy with.

I'd highly recommend anyone who can get out there play the new 18. The new Wild Atlantic course is definitely superior to the old 9, so they've definitely made the right choice to mix those together. Great food in the clubhouse as well, and the general manager and everyone working there were extremely friendly.

Also played 3 rounds in Enniscrone. Was a bit hit and miss again to be honest, but shot 29, 31 and 31 points. Had 21 points on the front 9 on the 2nd day, and then only 10 on the back 9 which was annoying. Managed to win me my category and get promoted to cat 1 for next year though, which i am delighted with. Also won the team event, so got €150 in McGuirks vouchers, which is great. So many great holes on that course as well, but it doesn't blow my mind like Carne did (i've played it a few times at this stage tbf).

Taking a few days off golf (and walking) now, as i'm absolutely shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Anyone hear of or get any deals in Waterville recently, am there in a few days and want to get a round in?

Ronney wrote: »
    Anyone hear of or get any deals in Waterville recently, am there in a few days and want to get a round in?

I tried a good few years ago, didn’t want to know about a discount or GUI rate when I rang them but times are different now so ring them and chance your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

I tried a good few years ago, didn’t want to know about a discount or GUI rate when I rang them but times are different now so ring them and chance your arm.

Yea, last summer managed to get out for members guest rate which was in the region of €120.

Just wondered if anyone had got any “deals” this summer

If anyone fancies a round for €150 quid around Hogs Head, the local national school are having their fundraising classic there the 26th and 27th for 600 quid per team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If anyone fancies a round for €150 quid around Hogs Head, the local national school are having their fundraising classic there the 26th and 27th for 600 quid per team.

€600? Holy moley

€600? Holy moley

Really? Team of 4 for a fundraiser in about the only course in Ireland you can’t walk up and pay a green fee.

I’ve paid €85 per head to play in my old national schools fundraising classic and that was around Lee Valley, which is grand and all, but just for context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I spent most of the month of August travelling the west course playing the majority of the links courses on the route. Bucket list type of thing as my business is all but finished at this stage.

I mentioned it before, but the two I didn't play were Old Head and Hogs Head. Old Head, because it didn't suit; and Hogs Head because they didn't even bother to return my call. I'd still like to play Old Head, because it does look spectacular, but Hogs Head just comes across as one of those second-rate private members clubs you find in SC.

Best: Glashedy (even though Lahinch is still a superstar).

Underrated: Connemara - I'm from that neck of the woods originally, but it's a huge trek out there to play it even from Galway City. It's wild.

Slightly overrated: Belmullet/Carne. I played the 27. It's great, tremendous, pure golf etc. Not sure it's worthy of the almost hyperventilating praise though when there's lots of other almost comparable links course within an hour or two of it that are as worthy of the same praise.

Takeaway: West coast of Ireland is a world class golfing destination. The Guinness and the seafood are also world class.

Really? Team of 4 for a fundraiser in about the only course in Ireland you can’t walk up and pay a green fee.

I’ve paid €85 per head to play in my old national schools fundraising classic and that was around Lee Valley, which is grand and all, but just for context

What's the prize for a 600 a team entry? It must be top notch for that sort of entrance money.

etxp wrote: »
    What's the prize for a 600 a team entry? It must be top notch for that sort of entrance money.

No idea, I just saw a flyer posted to Instagram from a friend who’s from waterville. I’m not marketing it, I’m just putting it here in case anyone is interested. My only observation is that it’s possibly the only course in the country you can’t pay a green fee at, it’s supposed to be a superb course, and people may have an interest in paying to see what the fuss is about.

No idea, I just saw a flyer posted to Instagram from a friend who’s from waterville. I’m not marketing it, I’m just putting it here in case anyone is interested. My only observation is that it’s possibly the only course in the country you can’t pay a green fee at, it’s supposed to be a superb course, and people may have an interest in paying to see what the fuss is about.

Emailed them, 275 a head. Caddie is essential apparently, which I guess means you have to get them.

Would this be considered a links?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

Emailed them, 275 a head. Caddie is essential apparently, which I guess means you have to get them. 100 for the caddie including tip.

20% of rounds a year are for visitors. So if its on your list of links courses to play then the above is a good deal. Would this be considered a links?

It's not a links course, same as Old Head isn't a links course either

Salvadoor wrote: »
    It's not a links course, same as Old Head isn't a links course either

I have played Old head and it was a parkland really beside the sea. Probably just marketed as a Links for the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Emailed them, 275 a head. Caddie is essential apparently, which I guess means you have to get them.

Would this be considered a links?

To be honest . What a load of bull****.

That’s basically “unless you’re a wealthy American, **** off and leave us alone” money

Yea complete bull. But I suppose we aren't the clientele they want to be attracting . I hadn't even heard of this course until this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Yea complete bull. But I suppose we aren't the clientele they want to be attracting . I hadn't even heard of this course until this year.

I'm surprised they're even willing to take green fees TBH - goes against the noises they were making when they opened.

Very much the American private country club model - Ali Marsal's job description tells us exactly the market they want to service

https://www.hogsheadgolfclub.com/contact/

Advertisement