Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Delivery drones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Deliveroo and just eat next I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I can see the toerags throwing the bricks already. (Hypothetically)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How do they work? Do they need to be controlled by man?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I think one man(or woman) monitors but doesn't actually fly several drones. They are sent to a gps location. Once there, the customer receives a text or app message and once acknowledged, the drone lands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Overhead cables must be a big challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

LostDuck wrote: »
    Overhead cables must be a big challenge.

Most cables are going underground anymore where new housing estates or footpaths go in.

I used to work for a company that designed drones. What they will probably do is do a manually operated trial to various locations and save it as a flight plan. Then an operator just selects that flight plan when going to a certain area.

They've gotten incredibly advanced in just a few short years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

flazio wrote: »
    I can see the toerags throwing the bricks already. (Hypothetically)

Follow it and wait until it stops for delivery. You'll never manage to get it while its moving

I do foresee some compensation claims. "The rotor cut my hand", "it interferes with my broadband", "it squashed my cat".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I presume some women could be trained to do it as well.
    It would actually be more economical in the long run as they could be paid less than the men once they get the hang of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

denartha wrote: »
    I do foresee some compensation claims. "The rotor cut my hand", "it interferes with my broadband", "it squashed my cat".

They don't land normally, usually drop from a harness attached to the drone

Here's the drone in action;

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wow! Maybe it's a criminal mind :D but I keep thinking of ways this could be sabotaged in denser areas. My mind went all Oliver Twist with hooks and trained falcons :pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Target practice coming up to Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

What could possibly go wrong ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Wow! Maybe it's a criminal mind :D but I keep thinking of ways this could be sabotaged in denser areas. My mind went all Oliver Twist with hooks and trained falcons :pac:

Indeed. Both areas with high population density, and ones with dense populations, could be challenging.

What happens after one of these crashes ? There is potential to cause serious injury & chaos if it crashed on a road or vehicle.

I wonder what insurance cover they have ?

Some people really only can think of the negatives. I heard this and thought “cool be great to see this in action”. Others hear it and all they think of is insurance and crashes.

Some people really only can think of the negatives. I heard this and thought “cool be great to see this in action”. Others hear it and all they think of is insurance and crashes.

Oh the irony :)

A big lump of material, flying over the city, by remote control. I would of thought you, of all people, would be concerned about the risk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Sounds brilliant, I can't wait to try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Perhaps I would get more excited if the risk/reward ratio was more balanced, like medicine or search and rescue for the reward, vs a pizza :pac:

I like the idea and the tech of occasional drones, but the idea of this being a consumer norm in the skies seems awful.

You can like the concept but also see the possible outcome, and not feel the same you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I presume all the storks are going to be made redundant now?

We'll be one step closer to The Jetsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd be a bit concerned about Rahoon, Newcastle and Shantalla surrounding UCHG. Can be a pretty busy airspace with the Aero medical and the Coast Guard helicopters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd be a bit concerned about Rahoon, Newcastle and Shantalla surrounding UCHG. Can be a pretty busy airspace with the Aero medical and the Coast Guard helicopters.

They've said that they have already linked up with those services and once they are notified that they are in the air the drones will stop working until the airspace is clear again.

None of those area are 2km from Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Anyone try it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Also curious about this and what they charge for it. Maybe the charge is subsidised for the trial but my thinking is it would be pretty expensive yet the payload pretty small. It could be a €25 delivery fee for €20 worth of goods because of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

the aircraft base taking off and landing from the roof of the Tesco building at the edge of the town, delivering groceries, pharmacy items, hardware, medications and hot meals to the estimated 8,000 residents of Oranmore
    Manna will provide delivery to frontline workers free of charge. It will also waive the pharmacy delivery fee for the elderly.
    To receive deliveries customers in the local area can go to a website and place delivery orders using their EirCode to specify the destination for delivery.
    That's ten separate stores, including Supermacs and coffee shops
    Order here
    https://oranmore.manna.aero/faq.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Delivery zone November 2020
    oranmorecount.jpg?1603269339

Advertisement