Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delivery drones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Also curious about this and what they charge for it. Maybe the charge is subsidised for the trial but my thinking is it would be pretty expensive yet the payload pretty small. It could be a €25 delivery fee for €20 worth of goods because of weight.

€5 delivery , just ordered

€5 delivery , just ordered

And just canceled because it’s too busy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

When longer range and longer duration drones are more affordable and available to use for this kind of thing, it could revolutionize retail and service. Businesses in the city will increase their reach significantly.

Not so sure it would work so well in the city though. Probably just flying from the city out.

And just canceled because it’s too busy

Trying again for this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How do the Drones fly in avoiding obstacles like power lines etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How do the Drones fly in avoiding obstacles like power lines etc

I imagine they maintain an altitude above obstacles until they reach the drop off point and drop down then. Probably sensors/pilot need to ensure no obstacles below from that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Trying again for this afternoon

This is really cool stuff, please let us know how it goes of you do get an order through.

Sconsey wrote: »
    This is really cool stuff, please let us know how it goes of you do get an order through.

Coffee delivered intact :) dropped on a cord and released when on ground . Pretty large drone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Coffee delivered intact :) dropped on a cord and released when on ground . Pretty large drone

Should have made a video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I presume some women could be trained to do it as well.
    It would actually be more economical in the long run as they could be paid less than the men once they get the hang of it.

Especially when they dont have to reverse, park or use indicators...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Perhaps I would get more excited if the risk/reward ratio was more balanced, like medicine or search and rescue for the reward, vs a pizza :pac:

I think you might be over estimating the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Psychlops wrote: »
    Should have made a video! :D

Plenty videos of it in action on their social media pages

https://twitter.com/MannaAero/

inisboffin wrote: »
    Perhaps I would get more excited if the risk/reward ratio was more balanced, like medicine or search and rescue for the reward, vs a pizza :pac:

They are already used in search and rescue and supplying medicine.

Whats the risk you forsee?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Whats the risk you forsee?

The usual, what if it falls on my head/car/house or crashes into an airplane.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,834 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Effects wrote: »
    The usual, what if it falls on my head/car/house or crashes into an airplane.

Well according to them it's fool proof & using a lot of personnel.

The drone delivery service is very safe and the Manna drone has multiple safety systems in place should there be any issue. In the extremely unlikely event of a total flight failure, the drone has a parachute attached that will deploy and bring it gently to the ground.

Manna also has additional safety procedures in place for this trial. At any point a trained and licensed pilot can take control of the drone if there is a suspected problem. We also have trained spotters along the route and at the drop off point and these personnel are in constant radio communication with the pilot and the reserve pilot.

https://oranmore.manna.aero/faq.html

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

They have a pilot, a reserve pilot, and personnel along the route, and at the drop off point.
    Someone still has to travel to the destination by road anyway. It can't be economical, and must be a trial with the expectation that the regulations may be relaxed when it has been proven to be safe. It is like the old days when a man with a red flag had to walk along in front of a motor car.

They have a pilot, a reserve pilot, and personnel along the route, and at the drop off point.
    Someone still has to travel to the destination by road anyway. It can't be economical, and must be a trial with the expectation that the regulations may be relaxed when it has been proven to be safe. It is like the old days when a man with a read flag had to walk along in front of a motor car.

More like a man with a big net :)

Someone still has to travel to the destination by road anyway. It can't be economical, and must be a trial with the expectation that the regulations may be relaxed when it has been proven to be safe. It is like the old days when a man with a red flag had to walk along in front of a motor car.

The question on my mind is, is there a reserve chute?

The question on my mind is, is there a reserve chute?

Sounds like even if it had a reserve chute, you'd still want a second reserve chute.

Sounds like even if it had a reserve chute, you'd still want a second reserve chute.

You are taking me up wrong, or confusing me with another poster.

• Advertisement

You are taking me up wrong.

I thought you'd already read the earlier post about it having an emergency chute, and that you were asking if it had a secondary reserve chute.

I thought you'd already read the earlier post about it having an emergency chute, and that you were asking if it had a secondary reserve chute.

I did but I was replying to the poster who said it would have a pilot and reserve pilot etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

That sounds like an awful load of sh1te to be honest.they would be better off to send some lad out on a pedal bike to fcukin deliver it if there is that much sh1te hawking involved.

That sounds like an awful load of sh1te to be honest.they would be better off to send some lad out on a pedal bike to fcukin deliver it if there is that much sh1te hawking involved.

Yes but, during the trial, one accident would be a disaster so they are clearly playing it as safe as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The drone planes delivering blood in several areas in Africa make a load of sense. Just-Eat via drone doesnt really.

Monday, you deliver via drones. Happy out.
    Tuesday same.
    Wednesday is stormy, suddenly you need 10 drivers.
    Thursday back to drones
    Friday same
    Saturday stormy
    Sunday stormy

The drivers won't appear from nowhere, they'll find other work if you only need them a couple times a month during the winter season. You'd have to surge price like crazy to get the taxis to deliver food when the weather grounds the fleet.

It is a load of sh1te. He's trolling.

It is a load of sh1te. He's trolling.

Who is ?

Discodog wrote: »
    Who is ?

"stopthevoting". The guy with 2 posts ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭stopthevoting

"stopthevoting". The guy with 2 posts ever.

Firstly, what exactly is the problem with what I said?
    This is stated on the company's website:
    "a Manna member of staff will be present nearby when the package is being dropped to ensure the utmost safety precautions are adhered to. They won’t be hard to spot as they will be wearing a beautiful white Manna coat."
    "We also have trained spotters along the route and at the drop off point and these personnel are in constant radio communication with the pilot and the reserve pilot".
    My point was that I don't think it could be commercially viable longterm with the current State regulations. The eventual plan must be that they would be able to dispense with the requirement to have an observer travelling to the destination by road. I don't see how the existing situation could be sustainable.
    It's my opinion. I may be right or I may be wrong, but I don't think I wrote anything to get upset about.

Secondly, how did you manage to get your high number of posts without starting with your first few posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

8 euro for a coffee. The boom is getting boomier

Advertisement