Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, it's primarily to allow people out and about. The limiting in our case was done by the other far more important and effective measures aided by testing and isolating. If they were really limiting transmission we would see that reflected in the numbers.

"Primarily to allow people out and about"
    I don't know what this means.

The measures which flattened the curve were not sustainable in the long run. Those measures had to be lifted. Who said only masks were needed and it was a like for like substitution? That seems to be the implication of your argument.
    There were lots of other measures and it is not valid to compare masks to the entire lockdown measures so Im not clear on what point you are making there.

Masks are about limiting the transmission now those measures have lifted, in specific settings of community transmission - which by their nature are challenging to track and trace. It is one weapon in the arsenal along with distancing, track and trace, isolation etc. You present it as an either OR.
    So, how do you know that's not reflected in the numbers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

The masks im wearing are the typical ones, those that when you breath you get fogged up glasses and feel like Darth Vader. Eye contact seems at an all time high, im winking at people quite a lot instead of frowning. They make sense to use though when going into enclosed spaces. I dont get why some people refuse to use them, its not like you have them on 24/7, it can only do at least some good for what is a very minor inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

larva wrote: »
    The masks im wearing are the typical ones, those that when you breath you get fogged up glasses and feel like Darth Vader. Eye contact seems at an all time high, im winking at people quite a lot instead of frowning. They make sense to use though when going into enclosed spaces. I dont get why some people refuse to use them, its not like you have them on 24/7, it can only do at least some good for what is a very minor inconvenience.

The fogging up is a pain. This helps:
    Breathe out through nose.
    Pinch the metal strip tightly to bridge of nose.

Some people suggest:
    Moving your glasses further out along nose to secure top of mask on nose.
    Surgical tape at top of mask to seal it off under your eyes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The fogging up is a pain. This helps:
    Breathe out through nose.
    Pinch the metal strip tightly to bridge of nose.

Some people suggest:
    Moving your glasses further out along nose to secure top of mask on nose.
    Surgical tape at top of mask to seal it off under your eyes.

I can confirm that the bold part works perfectly.
    I use primarily disposable masks and always make sure to buy ones with an adjustable nose bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

larva wrote: »

I had serious fogging issues. Metal strip did not help. Nor did washing glasses with soap.
    Finally I got an Olson mask and once the top of the mask is slightly under the glasses it's perfect. Not had a problem since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some say that putting some tissue inside at the top of the mask stops the fogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Another instance of mask intolerance.....

I was at the Cliffs of Moher a few weeks back and as I'm walking past the visitors center I saw a lad (30's) walk out with a sambo and drink and give the mask he was wearing to his mate so he could go in.

With that level of stupidity, I don't think a cliff walk is the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I can confirm that the bold part works perfectly.
    I use primarily disposable masks and always make sure to buy ones with an adjustable nose bridge.

You can buy stick-on metal nose strips on Amazon for next to nothing. I've used them to upgrade some bought masks and/or they can be used for homemade masks, either sewn in or stuck on. Sticking them on probably won't work through the wash, but it's very easy to create a channel, even a hand sewn one.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just the flu bro? Go back to February 2020 when that was a position worthy of any serious consideration.
    Your nonsense about panic hidden race will be ignored as a rant.

It’s not a rant bro ...

It’s reality. People have lost the plot over this virus.
    The over the top reaction has come from the top down.
    History will show that the reaction was excessive and completely over the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

VG31 wrote: »
    Are staff in hotels and restaurants required to wear masks?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html
    On 10 August 2020, new public health laws (pdf) made face coverings mandatory for customers in shops

It will also be mandatory for retail staff to wear a face covering unless there is a partition or they take all reasonable steps to keep a 2-metre distance from others.
    These laws will be in place until at least 5 October 2020.
    I haven't found strict guides about restaurants or hotels but everywhere I've been all have had masks on.

• Advertisement

Absolute nonsense argument ,

How many people died of the Flu in Ireland in 2019 ….less than 30
    Over a thousand have died of Covid in 6 months ,

Don't forget there have been extreme measure in place for them 6 months to try and stop the spread if they where not there the number would be hugely higher,

Comparing it to the Flu shows a serve lack of intelligence

Never compared it to the flu.
    Said that the flu spreads every year and nobody reacted with the panic and fear that’s currently being instilled in people by NPHET etc

Also over a thousand people have not died from covid 19.
    Unfortunately most died with covid 19 and even more tragically a lot of these poor people who lost their lives were caused by the panic to empty our hospitals resulting in a catastrophic disaster of infecting many nursing homes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

over a thousand people have not died from covid 19

1,781 coronavirus related deaths so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tired332

is_that_so wrote: »
    There are vaccines for flu' which mitigate the number of deaths. This is completely new and nobody knew how they were going to react to it. Our views of it have changed in the 7 months since it arrived.

If this really was a deadly pandemic we wouldn't need to be rushing to test everybody to prove it exists. People would actually be sick . Hospitals would be full. People you actually know would be dead. None of that exists in reality, but instead only on your television , and newspapers. Healthy people locked up suppressing their immunity for the past 7months and now we are coming into winter( ?flu season) .Every other year the flu killed people where was the big pandemic then.

Edit: yes I wear a mask , but I do not think it makes a difference as it harbour more germs.

Graham wrote: »
    1,781 coronavirus related deaths so far.

Pick out the bit that suits

Unfortunately 1781 related deaths not all FROM Covid 19 directly.

Unfortunately 1781 related deaths not all FROM Covid 19 directly.

That's like claiming someone shot in the head may have died of a brain haemorrhage rather than gunshot.

Keep trying..

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

biko wrote: »
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/face_coverings_during_covid19.html

I haven't found strict guides about restaurants or hotels but everywhere I've been all have had masks on.

S.I. 296 of 2020 would refer to this(It’s only a few pages and worth a search/read) and by the looks of the wording, hotel and restaurant staff are not required (by law) to wear a mask.

That’s just the legal angle to it. Relevant employers may try to force a worker to wear one, however. And as staff in hotels and restaurants are generally minimum wage, zero-hour, foreign, they’d probably comply with such direction.

That's like claiming someone shot in the head may have died of a brain haemorrhage rather than gunshot.

Keep trying..

Look up the number of cases with underlying conditions.

Covid deaths are over stated in this country and across Europe.

Sure, masks are inconvenient but if it keeps the old folks safe I am happy to do it.

Look up the number of cases with underlying conditions.

Covid deaths are over stated in this country and across Europe.

Tosh.

Premature death caused by Covid, is still death caused by Covid however much you pretend otherwise.

Tosh.

Premature death caused by Covid, is still death caused by Covid however much you pretend otherwise.

Look up the difference between By and With

Good man

• Advertisement

It's like a 35yo man hit by a bus and during the autopsy they find stage 4 lung cancer.
    "Ah, well he would have died soon anyway.."

It's like a 35yo man hit by a bus and during the autopsy they find stage 4 lung cancer.

Unlikely to be an autopsy if hit by a bus

Cause of death would be clearly known no ??

Anyway all off topic for this thread.

This is the pro mask thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Keep trying..

Come on, its not the same thing. Why do you think they call it covid related. Surely you know that.

I don't really want to get into the 'from' and 'with' thing, its a bit cynical and obviously emotionally charged too.

But its a fact that median age is 84 and mean age is 82 and most of those deaths occurred in nursing homes where people typically enter with complex medical issues and the average stay is under 2 years. Which is not saying that an old life is worth less, but at that age and with issues a lot of things will knock you out. Thousands of people die from respiratory diseases every year in Ireland. And its typically that age bracket. Its what people die from, its what eventually gets all of us. You and me too. That or stroke or heart or cancer.

So it may sound callous but its obviously not the same as if 1800 perfectly healthy children had died.

That's exactly the logic some are trying to apply.

Bizarro logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Do you have to wear them on planes or are they letting the visors go

sm3ar wrote: »
    Do you have to wear them on planes or are they letting the visors go

Each airline appears to have it's own rules some influenced/set by their respective governments.

Tosh.

You are ripe for being taken advantage of by all strands of society, my friend, if that’s how you ‘understand’ things.

3xh wrote: »
    You are ripe for being taken advantage of by all strands of society, my friend, if that’s how you ‘understand’ things.

The anti-maskers are coming for me :eek:

It's simple really - it puts the mask on its skin or else it gets phase 1 again..

• Advertisement

The anti-maskers are coming for me :eek:

Awhh. Another catch-all label used by someone ‘on the other side’ to make themselves feel better.

Advertisement