Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who want "Foreva Lockdown"

Options
  • 09-09-2020 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I think it would be interesting to discuss the psychology of these people, I wouldn't mind if they were genuinely worried about the virus and the health service but it seems to me that these people are long-term unemployed who have hardly left the house since they did their leaving cert in 1999, so for the first time in their lives they felt normal during lockdown.Then you have the Justin Barrett type fans who want to "close the boarders" not because they want to stop the virus coming in but because they hate all foreigners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Also a load from a certain sector working from home on full pay.

Not doing a lot of work.

Suits a lot of people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can quite honestly say I haven't come across anyone looking for a permanent lockdown.

In real life or online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The psychology of people who post in threads like this would be muck more interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Graham wrote: »
    Can quite honestly say I haven't come across anyone looking for a permanent lockdown.

In real life or online.

+1.

OP is imagining things and people that aren't there.

Lovely piece of fiction OP. Were you looking for the short stories thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Not doing a lot of work.

Suits a lot of people.

Not sure if you've ever worked from home but in my humble opinion you're talking a load of b****x. I work from home and am thankful I can as for one it cuts up to 4 hours off my journey to and from work each day. I actually worked from home a couple of days a week anyways before Covid kicked off as I find you actually end up being more productive if you're set up correctly and have a dedicated work space.

When I'm in the office I tend to waste more time chatting with people, going for coffee's, taking longer breaks and so on.

Working from home is a privilege and my manager will still know if I'm dossing or actually meeting/exceeding my targets. The last thing I would want to do is take the piss and ruin that privilege I've been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think you are confusing Foreva Lockdown with the Witness Protection Programme.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jd1983

Allinall wrote: »
    +1.

OP is imagining things and people that aren't there.

I assumed the op was talking about these imbeciles: https://mobile.twitter.com/zerocovidisland?lang=en

However they're not unemployed, they seem to be mainly academics and scientists with the worse tunnel vision I've ever seen in public life. They seem to be concentrated on one kpi (I.e. covid infections) and ignoring everything else (e.g. other health problems like cancer & mental health, the economy etc).

I reckon morons like this will drive people into supporting Trump like characters who denounce experts who are willing to sacrifice people's livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Working from home is a privilege and my manager will still know if I'm dossing or actually meeting/exceeding my targets. The last thing I would want to do is take the piss and ruin that privilege I've been given.

Works by from home is a pain in the hole. All those distractions you talk about are part of life and the things that keep you from being a monitored drone

Not sure if you've ever worked from home but in my humble opinion you're talking a load of b****x. I work from home and am thankful I can as for one it cuts up to 4 hours off my journey to and from work each day. I actually worked from home a couple of days a week anyways before Covid kicked off as I find you actually end up being more productive if you're set up correctly and have a dedicated work space.

When I'm in the office I tend to waste more time chatting with people, going for coffee's, taking longer breaks and so on.

Note my words a certain sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think it would be interesting to discuss the psychology of these people, I wouldn't mind if they were genuinely worried about the virus and the health service but it seems to me that these people are long-term unemployed who have hardly left the house since they did their leaving cert in 1999, so for the first time in their lives they felt normal during lockdown.Then you have the Justin Barrett type fans who want to "close the boarders" not because they want to stop the virus coming in but because they hate all foreigners.

This all in your head. Maybe you should talk to someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Note my words a certain sector.

Fair enough but what if I work in that certain sector. I don't explicitly know which one you're talking about.

I'll admit though I took your post quite personal which is stupid I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

While I'm pretty much in the 'get on with it' camp myself I think the thread title and sentiment is a bit extreme.
    I dont think anyone wants to be in lockdown never mind forever.

Its more people having what they believe are genuine concerns. They may be genuine, too. Some may even have had first hand experience. Either way hard to blame anyone for being concerned with the scare campaign that's continuing in our media.

Fair enough but what if I work in that certain sector. I don't explicitly know which one you're talking about.

I'll admit though I took your post quite personal which is stupid I know.

Jesus don't take it personal, none of us are getting out of here alive:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Go for a walk OP and clear your head. You are imagining this stuff.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I don't think you can really discuss the psychology of a non-existent type of person? Or can you? Maybe this calls for a philosophical discussion about how possible it is to discuss the psychology of traits that don't exist is necessary first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Not doing a lot of work.

Suits a lot of people.

Some prople here dont do an awful lot of work anyway.

They are here 24 hours a day with their childish ridiculousness..

Pfffttt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The Op may be exaggerating a bit with "lockdown foreva" but we had posters in the restrictions thread who wanted no nightclubs and other social aspects of society reopened until a vaccine was developed even if that was years in the making.

But there is a large cohort out there that think the lockdown/restrictions wasn't/is enough and demand more measures. They are the people I think the OP is talking about.

Add to that the gobsh1tes that glare at you in fear and panic from behind their masks. The curtain twitchers and the poster on board who asked was there a ratting hotline..people who call others granny-killers and all that

I'm repeating myself (again) but covid19 has shown up a huge number of people out there who will do anything to be seen to support the government line/status quo . People who you just know would be ringing the secret police if we had one.

It could be a film , 2020 - Rise of the Curtain Twitchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

paw patrol wrote: »
    It could be a film , 2020 - Rise of the Curtain Mask Twitchers.

FYP

Blondini wrote: »
    You don't do an awful lot of work yourself there horse.

You're here 24 hours a day with your childish ridiculousness..

Pfffttt

Hit a nerve did i:)

Hmm I wonder why!!

I have 10 posts in the last 24 hours here all after 6pm.

So yeah maybe youre thinking of yourself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Hit a never did i:)

Hmm I wonder why!!

You were so excited to reply you couldn't get the words out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

In real life or online.

Seriously? Im not sure of lately because Ive had to cut down on covid threads for mental health reasons, but a couple of months back there was an army of lockdown merchants. Sure there was a whole thread where they congregated and attacked anyone who wanted more freedom.

Not doing a lot of work.

Shouldn't you be working :D

begbysback wrote: »
    Seriously? Im not sure of lately because Ive had to cut down on covid threads for mental health reasons, but a couple of months back there was an army of lockdown merchants. Sure there was a whole thread where they congregated and attacked anyone who wanted more freedom.

There's a world of difference between a temporary lockdown and the "Foreva".

redmgar wrote: »
    You were so excited to reply you couldn't get the words out.

Just corrected it there.

Thanks for noticing:)

iguana wrote: »
    I don't think you can really discuss the psychology of a non-existent type of person? Or can you? Maybe this calls for a philosophical discussion about how possible it is to discuss the psychology of traits that don't exist is necessary first?

Or maybe we need a philosophical discussion on the type of person who doesnt see, or chooses not to see, a particular type of person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Hit a never did i:)

Hmm I wonder why!!

nO yOu diDNt hiT a neveR.

I'm not working from home.

Shouldn't you be working :D

Took the morning off.

Joy's of been self employed.

I don't think anybody wants to lockdown forever. But I do see what the OP is getting at. A lot of people seem to be using the pandemic for their own agenda's and a lot of people seem to enjoy the misery of it all.

Multiple posters have brought up our drinking culture again and again on these threads and suggested that we should socialize in a more continental way. You can tell by the tone of lots of posts that some people are happy that the pubs were closed for so long.

We had a poster on here who hated bookies. Admitted that he just hated them and was delighted they were closed.

We had posters suggesting that young people should abstain from having sex and dating. We have had people actively hoping the garda get the power to break into your house and break up a get together.

I haven't seen any actual evidence that "We are all in this together".
    But I have seen a very dark side to our society.

• Advertisement

There's a world of difference between a temporary lockdown and the "Foreva".

Well aware of that, and believe me, if some guys were given the keys a couple of months back, and asked to lockdown, they would have thrown them away. These are the "Foreva" people, and they very much exist.

Advertisement