Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭johnsparkexile

Funnily enough ,the Waterford Senator John Cummins issued a second apology on the 03/09/2020, after going to ground for the last 2 weeks and refusing all requests for an interview.Damien Tiernan stated at the start of the interview that he had been contacted at short notice to say that John Cummins was available

"In his first interview since the news broke, he told Damien Tiernan on Deise Today that he apologises profusely for his attendance at the ill-fated dinner in Clifden, Co Galway two weeks ago."

"He said that he wished he had never gone and that he had been assured by organisers the event was within the guidelines."

The interview is available on the WLR FM website if anyones interested. My own opinion on it was that Tiernan went easy on him

Muahahaha wrote: »
    That was quite the apology from Jerry Buttimer and 15 days after he issued apology number one. I wonder what was going on in the background there. It sounds like internal party shennaigans to me, maybe someone told Buttimer that Coveney was definitely running for EU commissioner so Buttimer thought there was going to be a by-election.

I think that is the entirety of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jerry Buttimer only cares about Jerry Buttimer.

He's afraid that he will soon be out of the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Funnily enough ,the Waterford Senator John Cummins issued a second apology on the 03/09/2020, after going to ground for the last 2 weeks and refusing all requests for an interview.Damien Tiernan stated at the start of the interview that he had been contacted at short notice to say that John Cummins was available

"In his first interview since the news broke, he told Damien Tiernan on Deise Today that he apologises profusely for his attendance at the ill-fated dinner in Clifden, Co Galway two weeks ago."

"He said that he wished he had never gone and that he had been assured by organisers the event was within the guidelines."

The interview is available on the WLR FM website if anyones interested. My own opinion on it was that Tiernan went easy on him

Woulfe, Buttimer and now Cummins have all blamed the Hotel for giving assurances. That didn't save Phil.

It is baffling though that these have managed to outlast him.

If you look at the number of views the Hogan thread has and compare it to the Woulfe threads there is little interest in removing Woulfe and others. I know this is just Boards and there are other forums but I imagine it's the same in those.

It seems it was revenge for Irish Water.

There is very little in msm about removing the Ministers and Councillors. Maybe it will flare up again when Denhams Inquiry nears it's end

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Jerry Buttimer only cares about Jerry Buttimer.

He's afraid that he will soon be out of the trough.

What ever his motivation it looks like Jerry is out of the loop as there will not be a by election in CSC.
    Mairead McGuinness and Andrew McDowell (former European Investment Bank VP, economic adviser to Enda Kenny) are the nominees.

I imagine it will be McGuinness not because she is a woman but because she is an MEP with vast experience and was very much in evidence during the many many Brexit negotiations.
    McDowell isn't a politician - he's a behind the scenes advisor/economist/banker so his expertise is limited when it comes to getting a portfolio and he wouldn't be hugely familiar with the inner political workings of the E.U

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What ever his motivation it looks like Jerry is out of the loop as there will not be a by election in CSC.
    Mairead McGuinness and Andrew McDowell (former European Investment Bank VP, economic adviser to Enda Kenny) are the nominees.

I imagine it will be McGuinness not because she is a woman but because she is an MEP with vast experience and was very much in evidence during the many many Brexit negotiations.
    McDowell isn't a politician - he's a behind the scenes advisor/economist/banker so his expertise is limited when it comes to getting a portfolio and he wouldn't be hugely familiar with the inner political workings of the E.U

Agree - McGuinness a dead cert.

McGuinnesses replacements if she gets the job.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1301865296202956803?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He hasn't resigned his position as a public representative, which he should be made to if Fine Gael wants to salvage any image of integrity from this shambles.

This sorry of baying for blood is ridiculous. I see people in shops all the time not wearing masks. Should they be resigning their jobs?

I wouldn't expect Mary Lou or Michelle to resign their seats over attending the funeral either.

This sorry of baying for blood is ridiculous. I see people in shops all the time not wearing masks. Should they be resigning their jobs?

I wouldn't expect Mary Lou or Michelle to resign their seats over attending the funeral either.

If they work in the shop - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If they work in the shop - yes.

Retail staff don't have to wear face coverings if they're behind a screen, or take all reasonable steps to keep a 2-metre distance from others.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/296/made/en/print

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McGuinnesses replacements if she gets the job.
    https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1301865296202956803?s=19

Good jesus thats the same Frank Feighan who got elected off the back of promises to protect the A&E at Roscommon Hospital but then when he got into power he voted to shut it down and downgrade the hospital. Also the same Frank Feighan assaulted an elderly man who was trying to talk to Enda Kenny.

Good jesus thats the same Frank Feighan who got elected off the back of promises to protect the A&E at Roscommon Hospital but then when he got into power he voted to shut it down and downgrade the hospital. Also the same Frank Feighan assaulted an elderly man who was trying to talk to Enda Kenny.

After reading your post on the list of Solicitors/Barristers attending Fine Gael fundraisers and then this list I can only conclude that there's no end of them.

Reminds me of the scene at the end of Dances with Wolves when the Indian Chief asks Kevin Costner "how many more are coming(meaning white settlers) and his answer was "more than all the stars in the sky".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The cream always rises to the top :)

Retail staff don't have to wear face coverings if they're behind a screen, or take all reasonable steps to keep a 2-metre distance from others.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/296/made/en/print

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

He is a changed man? so all ok, also he moved to different electrol area so all his past is wiped...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He will get on well with those other spacers at the Euro trough, Wallace, Daly, Flanagan etc

• Registered Users Posts: 67,152 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Attending a funeral wasn't against the regs though. What is being investigated is were regs broken at the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Edgware wrote: »
    He will get on well with those other spacers at the Euro trough, Wallace, Daly, Flanagan etc

Well funnily enough Frank Feighan did an interview with the Sligo Champion before the last European elections. He was the director of elections for the former Rose of Tralee Maria Walsh who ran for Fine Gael. In the interview Frank says he was asked by Fine Gael to run for Europe himself but he refused and said working in Europe wouldnt be for him.

Imagine then my surprise to see he is no.2 on Mairead McGuinnesses subs bench to take over her role as MEP. So the job clearly is for him but he just doesnt want the hassle of an election to actually win it :rolleyes:

Edgware wrote: »

Can't see him getting on well with those three MEP's.
    More likely to hang out with fellow EPP members.

Not that he's going anywhere, he's only a sub.

By the way the European Parliament is important to Ireland. Yes the members get paid a fair wage and expenses but that is the price of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Attending a funeral wasn't against the regs though. What is being investigated is were regs broken at the funeral.

There was a 30 man limit at Northern Irish funerals though. I don't know if it was a criminal offense to break it but I am pretty sure Phil Hogan didn't cause any criminal offense de jure either.

elperello wrote: »
    Can't see him getting on well with those three MEP's.
    More likely to hang out with fellow EPP members.

Not that he's going anywhere, he's only a sub.

By the way the European Parliament is important to Ireland. Yes the members get paid a fair wage and expenses but that is the price of democracy.
    The parliament is democratic but it has no power. The commission is there to represent the EU not the people and that is where the power lies.

• Advertisement

There was a 30 man limit at Northern Irish funerals though. I don't know if it was a criminal offense to break it but I am pretty sure Phil Hogan didn't cause any criminal offense de jure either.

The parliament is democratic but it has no power. The commission is there to represent the EU not the people and that is where the power lies.

With respect that's a separate debate.

As long as there is a European Parliament that we have voted to send representatives to they have to be paid for.

I don't agree with the notion that politicians are "at the trough".

elperello wrote: »
    With respect that's a separate debate.

As long as there is a European Parliament that we have voted to send representatives to they have to be paid for.

I don't agree with the notion that politicians are "at the trough".

MEPs should get high wages but is each seat worth €2.3 million? There is serious largess. Their move from Brussels to Strasbourg every month is a 100 million example.

https://gript.ie/niamh-ui-bhriain-golfgate-the-real-scandal-is-that-a-man-was-left-to-die-with-maggots-in-his-face/

Hogan lied to his bosses that is why he lost his job. His own fault in other words even if FGers are trying to blame everyone but him.

Hogan lied to his bosses that is why he lost his job. His own fault in other words even if FGers are trying to blame everyone but him.

This is exactly it. It wasn't the Irish public that lost him his job and Von Der Leyen acknowledged as much.

Hogan, a long time slippery conniving individual met his match.

MEPs should get high wages but is each seat worth €2.3 million? There is serious largess. Their move from Brussels to Strasbourg every month is a 100 million example.

https://gript.ie/niamh-ui-bhriain-golfgate-the-real-scandal-is-that-a-man-was-left-to-die-with-maggots-in-his-face/

I agree that there is waste of money in many areas of the EU Parliament and it should be tackled.

The link you posted is a very sad story we should all be concerned about.

Shona Murphy of EuroNews reported on Newstalk that there is a feeling in the commission that although they wanted to sanction Phil Hogan, they didn't want a resignation and they feel their power has been undermined by the Irish media and Gov.

Mairéad McGuinness Irelands new EU commissioner and takes the Financial and Capital Markets Portfolio. Former Latvia PM gets Trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Shona Murphy of EuroNews reported on Newstalk that there is a feeling in the commission that although they wanted to sanction Phil Hogan, they didn't want a resignation and they feel their power has been undermined by the Irish media and Gov.

Phil Hogan behaved like the Catholic church did when caught, he lied and ran off to hiding behind EU Commission.
    I think if he had stayed in Ireland he would have survived as be impossible for us to ditch our top EU person.
    Its right that he is gone, it should set a standards for future?

I was trying to think of Mairéad McGuinness's achievements but then again MEPs don't really have any power anyway. Now that she has Financial and Capital Markets Portfolio she has real power I hope she does some good like scrapping MiFID II.
    Phil Hogan behaved like the Catholic church did when caught, he lied and ran off to hiding behind EU Commission.
    I think if he had stayed in Ireland he would have survived as be impossible for us to ditch our top EU person.
    Its right that he is gone, it should set a standards for future?
    Losing your job if you break health guidance? No thanks.

• Advertisement

Losing your job if you break health guidance? No thanks.

He lost his job because of his arrogance and repeated lying. I.E. his own fault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement