Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will history say about the world's reaction to Covid19?

Options
  • 05-09-2020 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I wonder will history show that it was an overreaction or whether the world did not do enough when it had the chance to contain it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Far too early to say how the story will eventually pan out or how it will compare in the history of pandemics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

No one can legitimately defend this. Only those who are rich or comfortable enough will be ok through this. And of course it's the rich who write the history textbooks so they will frame this as a "necessary sacrifice."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Will definitely be interesting when we look back on this in a decade or two.

It might not have killed a lot of people compared to other viruses or diseases, but it certainly stopped the world functioning like no other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

We are still only at the beginning of this OP.

Only the beginning.

Still a long long long long way to go.

The vaccine is about 12/18 months away (check back in a year and it will still be 12/18 months away)

The whole thing has been a total overreaction, in Sydney Australia the police are going around like little SS brownshirt thugs and there was 6 new cases there today.

An utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

History will show that it was a criminal overreaction to this, and in fact was treasonous and sought to usurp any lawful authority of any government. Leaders will swing for this in the future - including those in this country. Most of the so-called laws passed in response to this have in fact been unlawful.

Lockdown was criminal.

Mandatory masks is criminal.

Closing businesses was criminal.

Stay at home orders were criminal.

It is all criminal. Utterly criminal and reprehensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

If governmental restrictions are pointed to as an overreaction based on case numbers and fatalities, that will probably mean they worked as they were supposed to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The rich countries are doing ok the poor not so much .,..
    deaths listed
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Depends on which history you're reading, in the west we'll be blaming China, they in turn will be blaming the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

What worries me is I think societies are developing an obsession for the moment as we get avalanched with news on social media etc. Brexit was everywhere and everything for a few years and then Covid became everything and everywhere. Both historically important things, but gearing everything to Covid and infection rates to the point it seemingly becomes an international competition to have the smallest second wave is too much.

I saw a parallel in the Netflix documentary on Cuba. In 1969 the Cuban government targeted getting a world record sugar cane harvest of 10 million tonnes. It was meant to show national might and advance them economically but their propaganda machine went out of control and suddenly everything and everyone in the country was geared towards this target. All the schools and offices closed so every able man and child could go out and help with the harvest. In the end they got to 9 million tonnes and collapsed their economy by neglecting everything non-sugar related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Whether the world overreacted or not is a secondary point imo. Id rather have overeacted than undereacted.

The real story from this is the massive division across the world from populist governments in particular in response to a global emergency. And people in general losing their minds and feeding into all kinds of chaos like BLM and right wing clashes in the US. Division over even the simplest thing like a mask to catch some of your spit.

God help us if an actual potential world ender happens (asteroid, more dangerous pandemic) cause we will be truly ****ed. Not to mention global warming which we have unable to deal with even after 30 odd years.

• Advertisement

Risteard81 wrote: »
    History will show that it was a criminal overreaction to this, and in fact was treasonous and sought to usurp any lawful authority of any government. Leaders will swing for this in the future - including those in this country. Most of the so-called laws passed in response to this have in fact been unlawful.

Lockdown was criminal.

Mandatory masks is criminal.

Closing businesses was criminal.

Stay at home orders were criminal.

It is all criminal. Utterly criminal and reprehensible.

No doubt if we did nothing and had scenes like italy you would also call that criminal.

Some people are just permanently outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Our health system was a chaotic shambles before Covid. Will the debt and lengthening waiting lists make it worse again when the pandemic ends?

Initial over reaction was fine and understandable. Although perhaps we might question the experts and models that presented such doomsday scenario's...

To still be living as we are 6 months later, with all the data available... Unforgivable over reaction.

Our health system was a chaotic shambles before Covid. Will the debt and lengthening waiting lists make it worse again when the pandemic ends?

Most likely.
    Funding will be cut if anything.

I also wonder where all these outraged people were when we first locked down, cause as i recall the lockdown was widely supported by the public.

The point being its fine being a bunch of captain hindsights now, but when we knew f all about this thing other than the horrific scenes in china and italy, everyone agreed the lockdown was the right (and only) thing we could do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well the fact that people were undermined and not trusted to behave themselves and adhere to the suggestions is a big factor.

The fact they looked down three counties and didn't even press charges on the management of meat factories etc for poor health and safety awareness is beyond me.

So three counties had to be locked down and businesses ruined over meat factories and a few cluster's, doesn't make any sense.

There's a lot of lies and gombeenism going on that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

froog wrote: »
    I also wonder where all these outraged people were when we first locked down, cause as i recall the lockdown was widely supported by the public.

The point being its fine being a bunch of captain hindsights now, but when we knew f all about this thing other than the horrific scenes in china and italy, everyone agreed the lockdown was the right (and only) thing we could do.

I referred to it as totalitarian throughout. I never supported it.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I referred to it as totalitarian throughout. I never supported it.

The vast majority did. There will alway be a few headbangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There was something definitely wrong with the modelling predicting the amounts of deaths here in the headlines on the road to lockdown..

The 1% blunder: How a simple but fatal math mistake by US Covid-19 experts caused the world to panic and order lockdowns
    https://www.rt.com/op-ed/500000-covid19-math-mistake-panic/

It was supported as we were expecting bodies piled up on the streets, tens of thousands dead which turned out to be completely incorrect.
    Few of our current restrictions are based on real world science most notably the most controversial. Lab based studies aren't applicable in the real world.

There was something definitely wrong with the modelling predicting the amounts of deaths here in the headlines on the road to lockdown..

The 1% blunder: How a simple but fatal math mistake by US Covid-19 experts caused the world to panic and order lockdowns

It was supported as we were expecting bodies piled up on the streets, tens of thousands dead which turned out to be completely incorrect.
    Few of our current restrictions are based on real world science most notably the most controversial. Lab based studies aren't applicable in the real world.

Once again, the phrase captain hindsight springs to mind.

• Advertisement

Once again, the phrase captain hindsight springs to mind.

Were still coming out with non evidence based rules limiting our freedom, it's nothing to do with hindsight it's about fact checking which our media is in incapable of doing.
    Yesterdays draft rules requiring smokers to sit down when smoking was another head scratcher, how will history look back on that if we accept it without question like we have all the other rules.

It sounds like someone was drunk at the wheel.
    And of course the world has to pick up the pieces again, and the rich will prosper once again.

I think that there has to be a reset button, the whole way the world's been run by elitism and billionaires is an illusion to be honest.
    It's all about what people are worth on paper and this pandemic has proven so.

It's just the same old people who are successful and get to look down and pontificate to the rest of the people.

Sheer greed and it's time now something positive comes out of this.
    I'm not interested in prestige or having the best of everything, I do the best I can with what's in front of me.

Time for a big change and start to bring the wealthy people down to earth and tax the bejayzus out of them because they don't need all that money tbh

Wishful thinking I suppose

Were still coming out with non evidence based rules limiting our freedom, it's nothing to do with hindsight it's about fact checking which our media is in incapable of doing.
    Yesterdays draft rules requiring smokers to sit down when smoking was another head scratcher, how will history look back on that if we accept it without question like we have all the other rules.

I'm mainly talking of the initial lockdown. I think recent decisions have been poorly thought out.

I'm mainly talking of the initial lockdown. I think recent decisions have been poorly thought out.

Yea Leo and Harris were asleep at the wheel, we could have avoided the huge death spike everything would have been a lot calmer then. Now we're on the edge or crisis's on all fronts of society and healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

TomSweeney wrote: »
    We are still only at the beginning of this OP.

Only the beginning.

Still a long long long long way to go.

The vaccine is about 12/18 months away (check back in a year and it will still be 12/18 months away)

The whole thing has been a total overreaction, in Sydney Australia the police are going around like little SS brownshirt thugs and there was 6 new cases there today.

An utter disgrace.

Popped into this thread to see how long it would take someone to mention Nazis.

Was not disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

RT is a russian state controlled propaganda tool.

Its purpose is to pump out lies about the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

propaganda tool.

There's more than a few of those on these boards. Some in this very thread!

So the practicing UK Doctor is now a Russian asset, right got ya. Keep on the mask..

The west are pumping out their own lies lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

So the practicing UK Doctor is now a Russian asset, right got ya. Keep on the mask..

yes, that's exactly what he is if he's writing articles for Russia Today

Advertisement