Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there were site wide issues (fixed this morning, in theory) but affected all threads, not just this one.
    i don't think i saw any reports as specific as yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

:confused: Why not use the water?

Lots of livestock in dublin and wicklow mountains. They ****, it rains. I'm sure you'd get away with it but the guidance is not to drink water in that kind of environment. I mean we routinely can't swim in the fecking sea due to heavy rainfall washing similar into it, cant be a great idea to drinking it? Did about a year of upset tummy post india / south america, wouldn't like to repeat

I did try glencree as it's the kind of building that looks like it would have a tap around the side but they actually lock the outer gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

a148pro wrote: »
    Lots of livestock in dublin and wicklow mountains. They ****, it rains. I'm sure you'd get away with it but the guidance is not to drink water in that kind of environment. I mean we routinely can't swim in the fecking sea due to heavy rainfall washing similar into it, cant be a great idea to drinking it? Did about a year of upset tummy post india / south america, wouldn't like to repeat

I did try glencree as it's the kind of building that looks like it would have a tap around the side but they actually lock the outer gates.

Isn't there a filter type thing you can get? I think bicycle tourists use them

I think there are straws and maybe a uv filter yoke, but iodine tablets probably cheap as chips and less hassle on a bike. I did look for a bottle that would fit in a bike cage with a filter built in.

Personally I'd rather nuke it (iodine) than rely on a straw, seems a bit flimsy?

I do like the idea though as you're rarely far from a river or stream on a nice cycle and I've become allergic to purchasing single use plastic for something like water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a fairly well used spring or something on the road between Aughrim and Arklow. Water is reputedly nice and clean. Keep meaning to cycle that way when going to Aughrim just to try it, but always end up coming from Laragh direction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a fairly well used spring or something on the road between Aughrim and Arklow. Water is reputedly nice and clean. Keep meaning to cycle that way when going to Aughrim just to try it, but always end up coming from Laragh direction

There is one on the left on the road from Arklow to woodenbridge , not unusual to see folk parked up and filling 5 litre containers

secman wrote: »
    There is one on the left on the road from Arklow to woodenbridge , not unusual to see folk parked up and filling 5 litre containers

That's the one. Im normally passing it coming or going from Aughrim visiting family, so forget it's actually nearer woodenbridge (who should consider a cyclist stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Woodenbridge is actually a surprising place. There are some really interesting roads.

Just on the Arklow (SE) side, under a castellated archway, there are some of Wicklow's only hairpins on a narrow, lovely road with endless rhododendrons and ferns that eventually takes you to Kilcarra and then either Arklow or Coolgreany.
    Take the next right after the castellated gateway (going SE towards Arklow, still) and there's a proper beast of a hill up to the same Kilcarra.
    SW there's a proper gorge, that runs back towards Croghan Kinsella and the 'other' Wicklow Gap (the one with a pub on it).
    Fork off that, and you end up going around the W side of Croghan Kinsella, and down towards Tinahely.

And, of course, the three main roads - the gentle and pleasant ride up the Ow/Aughrim river to Aughrim, the pleasant but slightly busier road up the Avoca valley to the eponymous village (lots of Red Kites), and the ramble down the Avoca River to Arklow.

Sorry, slightly off topic - but there's a lot more good roads in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭secman

I see a post 39 min ago but yet again thread won't open ti show that last post :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,945 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be worth clearing your cache?

stupidly humid again this evening.
    went out to hurt my legs, decided to go for a grind on the bike rather than a spin (helped having a tailwind on the way out). bagged a few PRs on the way out, was suffering a bit on the way home. but that was windier than i expected.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I ordered one of the Master Locks announced in the Bargain Alerts thread but the only location with stock near me was Ashbourne.
    Headed off for a 65km spin. Weather was lovely and mild, traffic was light*. A very enjoyable spin which brought my 2020 total over the 8000km line :)
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4009591807

* the Clonee-Lucan road was busy as usual. Plenty of overtaking but thankfully no near misses. The driver of this 08-D-51014 registered Astra thoguht it would be a good idea to overtake me approaching a bend on what is a busy road. The beep was from the oncoming Merc - the Astra driver was also keen to show me his middle finger as he passed...
    https://streamable.com/geh1ap

Today's my free day from work (in tomorrow) so took the chance to head out. Opted for Howth and North Dublin instead of Wicklow as originally planned as there looked to be a fair bit of mist cover and darker skies that way.

Anyway went up Howth Summit, via a Grace OMalley park for the first time, back down and up again to Windgates via the harder side of the church.

Out to Malahide and around the estuary. I hiked and wheel the bike close to a km until it was safe to cycle again in the other side of the estuary. Went to Corvallis and Donabate in the hope of seeing the food truck that's sometimes there. It wasn't. Went to Newbridge house for a coffee and sandwich outside . Options really are not great in that part of the world for food.

Back on the road, followed R132 as far as the five roads and up nags head. Rained for this part and was no cloud anywhere else. From there I headed for home via Ballyboughal. Got delayed for an age by more road works outside Ballyboughal.

101km and 1000m at 26kmph.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/F6CoeLezv9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I cycled 112km through glencar/ ballaghsheen, into sneem , kenmare then through black valley .... was a pretty hard cycle for me but delighted I got it done...

I needed new tyres and I'll be changing bike soon so I decided to go for a different size tyre than ussual so I'd have more choice... i always use 23s and i got 28s ..... jeeez it felt way more comfortable ;)

1328m elevation gain ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Out to Malahide and around the estuary. I hiked and wheel the bike close to a km until it was safe to cycle again in the other side of the estuary.... Options really are not great in that part of the world for food.

By coincidence WA led a group of us on a club cycle along the north-west corner of Broadmeadows yesterday and we also had to walk the bikes on the sea wall as the tide was in. We followed it with the first part of the Donabate to Portrane trail before ducking into the hospital grounds for some fun CX cycling. I haven't tried it myself but a few of the gang mentioned that there is a good cafe at Jones' Garden Centre just off the M1 end of the Donabate Road. We ended up at the Seamus Ennis Centre in Naul where we were very well looked after while seated outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

. Went to Corvallis and Donabate in the hope of seeing the food truck that's sometimes there....
    I've never seen a food truck in Donabate. Are you confusing it with the Chuck Wagon on the R132?
    ...I haven't tried it myself but a few of the gang mentioned that there is a good cafe at Jones' Garden Centre ...
    It's very overpriced IMO and you have to leave the bike a long way and out of sight from the cafe.

yeah, it's very run of the mill. also on hearse road which i suspect is not a pleasant road to cycle on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yeah, it's very run of the mill. also on hearse road which i suspect is not a pleasant road to cycle on.
    They re-aligned the junction at the 'triangle' near Jones's a couple of years ago which seems to make it less safe for cyclists. Before, you could go to the second road before making the right turn which allowed you to see down the straight to Newbridge. That road has been closed and grassed over. Now you have to make a right turn on a sweeping left bend with fast moving traffic coming from Donabate.

I've never seen a food truck in Donabate. Are you confusing it with the Chuck Wagon on the R132?

It's very overpriced IMO and you have to leave the bike a long way and out of sight from the cafe.

There was a food truck at corballis before lockdown, possibly only weekends. Never tried it.

There was a coffee van Donabate beach a couple of weeks ago. There's also a van called cuppacabana I think that's been at Donabate train station, or the old church beside it at weekend doing coffee and cakes. Possibly the same one as

Newbridge house is a bit expensive for what it is, but outdoor seating was available or you can just go sit down somewhere in the park if it's nice .

The garden centre place does decent food, but I wouldn't be stopping there on a cycle.

None of them do particularly great coffee is my issue. That's why I wanted to try the van.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Done the Waterford Greenway on Thursday on my MTB with gnarly 2.4 " tyres.
    I'm not long back cycling after 2 years away so fitness not what it was the last time I done it but it was soooo much harder on the MTB , especially Waterford to Dungarvan into a 30kph headwind but wow what a difference compared to road bike.
    Was nice heading back to Waterford though.

What really struck me was the amount of ebikes but even more so lots of road bike groups/clubs not holding back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I went out cycling today and was beeped and tailgated by a van driver.

I was then beeped and tailgated by a woman in a Qashqai. She spent several metres on the wrong side of the road telling me to move over (whilst looking at me), thank the Lord nothing was coming the other side.

I admit I was holding primary in the lane and probably blocking traffic and I always feel guilty for doing so in case I hold up motorists.
    I often come across cyclists myself when driving, I take my time and overtake when it's legal and safe for me and the cyclist. Some people might be in a hurry and I feel guilty blocking them but I cycle in that position because I got squeezed too often there before.

I went out cycling today and was beeped and tailgated by a van driver.

I was then beeped and tailgated by a woman in a Qashqai. She spent several metres on the wrong side of the road telling me to move over (whilst looking at me), thank the Lord nothing was coming the other side.

I admit I was holding primary in the lane and probably blocking traffic and I always feel guilty for doing so in case I hold up motorists.
    I often come across cyclists myself when driving, I take my time and overtake when it's legal and safe for me and the cyclist. Some people might be in a hurry and I feel guilty blocking them but I cycle in that position because I got squeezed too often there before.

You should have told her bonevolently to fcuk off , great name by the way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are part of traffic (according to the law). No need to feel guilty because of some selfish and impatient drivers.

80km, out to navan, cut across to duleek and back. 80km, 30km/h, 500m climbing

the road from navan to kentstown would be a nicer road to cycle were it quieter.
    at one point a string of cars overtook an oncoming tractor - the typical 'follow my leader' routine where they assume if the driver in front does it, it's safe for them. despite some comical waving from me, a chap in a golf overtook the tractor directly into my path. the waving turned to some other gestures and i may have theatrically mouthed a greeting at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Dcully wrote: »
    it was soooo much harder on the MTB , especially Waterford to Dungannon into 30kph headwind.

Fair play - almost 300km into a strong headwind. Not surprised you found it tough 😋

Fair play - almost 300km into a strong headwind. Not surprised you found it tough ��

haha Dungarvan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Attempted my 2nd 100km trip today. Up to Johnny Foxes, Featherbeds, Sally Gap to Laragh and back via Enniskerry. 1500m of climbing.
    I think I need to make my rides slightly easier until I get better. I’m like a puddle now.

Strava.app.link/4ehkvIYxx9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

67k Ashtown canal to North strand then onto s2s up to to Howth. Then on to Malahide, trying the cycleways to portmarnock for the first time. Really impressed.

Was tempted to push for a first grand Fondo but the westerly wind humbled me on the way back.

Got a respectable 4th (could well be 11th by now mind you) for today on one of the Clontarf segments. Always chuffed if I get something significant on strava.

Can of coke once I walked in the door. Bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The driver of this 08-D-51014 registered Astra thoguht it would be a good idea to overtake me approaching a bend on what is a busy road. The beep was from the oncoming Merc - the Astra driver was also keen to show me his middle finger as he passed...
    https://streamable.com/geh1ap
    Dear Lord, can't even hold to the correct side of the road after the overtake as well.
    I am always equal parts fear and bemused when a driver decides to talk to me while moving about how dangerous I am, while they drive in one direction that is 90 degrees to the direction they are looking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement