Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister for Agriculture attends 81-person golf event in breach of health guidelines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

He was spot on.... And i'd say it's the latter of the both of those statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

https://www.thejournal.ie/ceann-comhairle-covid-golfgate-5193549-Sep2020/
    “We all make mistakes. There is not one among us who, if he or she had his or her time over, would not change his or her approach to some issues or perhaps not engage with certain situations at all. That is perfectly normal. What is not normal however, is for well-intentioned, intelligent and otherwise competent people to make a collective decision that is in itself fundamentally wrong,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

The Ceann Comhairle gave the Clifden Elite both barrels in the Dail today.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0902/1162800-clifden-golf-dinner/

Strong words but well said.

Anyone can make mistake says he.

The same man gave a character reference for a paedophile and retained his job.

How was that allowed?.

What he did was worse than Golfgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Colour me cynical but the Oireachtas Golf Society has been in existence for 50 years.

A bit late to be getting all precious about it's name and constitution.

I doubt anyone thinks changing a golf society will address the public's disillusionment with politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He was playing a tune to the gallery that was sure to get a round of applause from the floor, that and the fact that he was mightily pissed off at having to come back early from his break

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Only 2 Ministers of Agriculture to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

elperello wrote: »
    Methinks he doth protest too much.

Colour me cynical but the Oireachtas Golf Society has been in existence for 50 years.

A bit late to be getting all precious about it's name and constitution.

I doubt anyone thinks changing a golf society will address the public's disillusionment with politicians

I agree. As a member of the Oireachtas , he most likely got an invitation too. He'd have had a fair idea of the numbers involved. He could have sent out an "Ah now, lads" kind of letter to them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

sligojoek wrote: »
    I agree. As a member of the Oireachtas , he most likely got an invitation too. He'd have had a fair idea of the numbers involved. He could have sent out an "Ah now, lads" kind of letter to them

These are supposed to be adults. Do they need someone to wipe their arse as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his-golfgate-conduct-39500036.html

This Government have a serious problem.
    We have 2 former AGs and senior council challenging what may happen in regard to Clifden.
    They likely know what they doing.
    The root cause of this was the Oireachtas dinner.
    The politicians are in a precarious position with this one.

Ex-attorney general Séamus Woulfe hires senior counsel for inquiry into his 'Golfgate' conduct

Senan Molony
    September 03 2020 02:30 AM

• [EMAIL="?Subject=Ex-attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20hires%20senior%20counsel%20for%20inquiry%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct%20&Body=Ex-attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20hires%20senior%20counsel%20for%20inquiry%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct%20%0A%0AFormer%20attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20has%20engaged%20senior%20counsel%20for%20the%20forthcoming%20inquiry%20by%20former%20chief%20justice%20Susan%20Denham%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Firish-news%2Fex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his-golfgate-conduct-39500036.html"] [/EMAIL]

Former attorney general Séamus Woulfe has engaged senior counsel for the forthcoming inquiry by former chief justice Susan Denham into his 'Golfgate' conduct.
    He has retained Michael Collins SC, with another former attorney general, John Rogers SC, understood to be acting in an advisory role on the team.
    Both are renowned advocates, with Mr Rogers having represented former Rehab chief Angela Kerins in another political case when she succeeded over a Dáil Political Accounts Committee deemed to have exceeded its powers.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his

We have 2 former AGs and senior council challenging what may happen in regard to Clifden.

Link broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his

correct link. you seem to have cut off the end.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his-golfgate-conduct-39500036.html

Ex-attorney general Séamus Woulfe hires senior counsel for inquiry into his 'Golfgate' conduct

Senan Molony

• [EMAIL="?Subject=Ex-attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20hires%20senior%20counsel%20for%20inquiry%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct%20&Body=Ex-attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20hires%20senior%20counsel%20for%20inquiry%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct%20%0A%0AFormer%20attorney%20general%20S%C3%A9amus%20Woulfe%20has%20engaged%20senior%20counsel%20for%20the%20forthcoming%20inquiry%20by%20former%20chief%20justice%20Susan%20Denham%20into%20his%20%27Golfgate%27%20conduct.%0A%0Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Firish-news%2Fex-attorney-general-seamus-woulfe-hires-senior-counsel-for-inquiry-into-his-golfgate-conduct-39500036.html"] [/EMAIL]

Former attorney general Séamus Woulfe has engaged senior counsel for the forthcoming inquiry by former chief justice Susan Denham into his 'Golfgate' conduct.
    He has retained Michael Collins SC, with another former attorney general, John Rogers SC, understood to be acting in an advisory role on the team.
    Both are renowned advocates, with Mr Rogers having represented former Rehab chief Angela Kerins in another political case when she succeeded over a Dáil Political Accounts Committee deemed to have exceeded its powers.

Jesus the lengths hes going to avoid admitting he was wrong to have gone to Clifden, let alone fraternise with Politicians and Bankers.

He hasn't got it in him to admit that he was in the wrong.

This is the character of our Supreme Court Judge.

Has he not got the balls to go before Susan Denham on his own and just out with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Seamus Woulfe ffs, what an entitled twat.

Edgware wrote: »
    These are supposed to be adults. Do they need someone to wipe their arse as well?

So it would seem!

Washyerhands

Just for balance.

He has apologised unreservedly regarding the breach of the Covid 19 guidelines.

"I confirm that I attended one day of the Oireachtas Golf Society outing in Ballyconneally on Wednesday 19 August, as an invited guest. I was not aware in advance that there was going to be an organised dinner as part of the event.

“On learning of the proposed dinner during the course of that day, my understanding was that the organisers and the hotel had satisfied themselves that they would be operating within Government public health guidelines.

“I attended based on that understanding, that it would be within the guidelines, but do apologise for any unintentional breach of any of the new guidelines on my part.

“I would never disregard governmental or health authorities advice regarding public health, and have been at pains to follow rules and guidelines since their introduction in March. That I ended up in a situation where breaches may have occurred, is of great regret to me, and for which I am sorry. I unreservedly apologise”.

The Denham enquiry is an unprecedented move which may result in his removal from the SC.

As a man of the law he understands the possible outcome and I would not expect him to engage with such an enquiry without the best legal advice he can muster.

This article from the Irish Times is pertinent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/figuring-out-the-next-steps-of-what-should-happen-to-a-misbehaving-judge-1.4338751

“On learning of the proposed dinner during the course of that day, my understanding was that the organisers and the hotel had satisfied themselves that they would be operating within Government public health guidelines.

The issue is that those arrangements should not have satisfied him. Given he wrote the guidelines he could have done something about the event.

On a different but related topic the Oireachtas Rugby team may be in the spotlight now over sponsorship from Banks, Drinks Companies and PWC.

Given the money these Politicians are on why is Sponsorship necessary in the first place?

https://twitter.com/UnaMullally/status/1301428080981008385?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just for balance.

He has apologised unreservedly regarding the breach of the Covid 19 guidelines.

"I confirm that I attended one day of the Oireachtas Golf Society outing in Ballyconneally on Wednesday 19 August, as an invited guest. I was not aware in advance that there was going to be an organised dinner as part of the event.

“I attended based on that understanding, that it would be within the guidelines, but do apologise for any unintentional breach of any of the new guidelines on my part.

“I would never disregard governmental or health authorities advice regarding public health, and have been at pains to follow rules and guidelines since their introduction in March. That I ended up in a situation where breaches may have occurred, is of great regret to me, and for which I am sorry. I unreservedly apologise”.

Looks like he got Phil Hogan and Martin Brett to write his 'apology'.
    And it's not an apology.
    An apology is, "I was wrong, sorry, my fault"

The issue is that those arrangements should not have satisfied him. Given he wrote the guidelines he could have done something about the event.
    josip wrote: »
    Looks like he got Phil Hogan and Martin Brett to write his 'apology'.
    And it's not an apology.
    An apology is, "I was wrong, sorry, my fault"

I am not defending SW's apology I just re-posted it for clarity.

I am not defending SW's apology I just re-posted it for clarity.

I know that, not attacking you at all.

It's no harm that you posted it anyway as it shows clearly that he took no responsibility and therefore did not apologise at all.

From what I've read about him he does not seem to be diligent or have an attention to detail.

The above apology shows that. Even when defending himself he showed a lack of care in writing that letter.

I know that, not attacking you at all.

It's no harm that you posted it anyway as it shows clearly that he took no responsibility and therefore did not apologise at all.

Same here, happy that someone posted the exact weasel words that he used.

• Advertisement

Jerry Buttimer has apologised again. Some would say this is cynical considering there might be a by election shortly.

Sen Buttimer, a Fine Gael TD in Cork South Central from 2011 to 2016, resigned as Leas-Cathaoirleach of the Seanad immediately in the wake of 'Golfgate.'

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-can-understand-the-anger-pain-and-frustration-of-people-i-am-angry-at-myself-senator-jerry-buttimer-apologises-for-attending-golfgate-dinner-39500504.html

"I am sorry to the people working in our frontline healthcare services, to the families of those who have died, who have recovered from Covid-19 and who have made great personal sacrifices during this difficult time," he said.

I let people down and I compromised the work of all those people."

Firstly, I had to listen to the anger of people - there is embarrassment and mortification over what had happened. I am conscious
    that I let people down. It was important for me to listen to public anger. I also had to reflect on what happened. I am profoundly sorry - I know people will say it is 15 days later but my words are sincere."

"I was on holidays in the west of Ireland, I am not a member of the society but I went to the event. It was a huge error in judgement (it was) a combination of a false sense of security and complacency - I didn't live up to the expectations and demands placed on me as a member of the Oireachtas."

"I was on holidays in the west of Ireland and I threw the golf clubs in the back of the car. I arrived at the club at 2pm and played golf. There was no maliciousness or intent to cause harm."

"I did ask on Tuesday night the organisers and the hotel owner about the event and I was assured it was Covid compliant. But I made a decision to go so it is on me. I should not have gone. I am genuinely sorry for being there."

It was an act of complacency - a lack of concentration on my part. I didn't definitively go through the regulations and I regret that now."

"I had (been aware that guidelines had changed). If I am honest, I was probably too ready to accept the assurances that I was within the guidelines. But it was my responsibility."

"I should have left (the event) - I did have that thought in my head (about seating issues). It was a profound error of judgement. It was complacency, a false sense of security and being too willing to offer the assurances that were offered."

"I can understand the anger, pain and frustration of people - I am angry at myself. I let people down and I am really sorry for that. I am sorry I didn't leave the event."

"It is my responsibility - I should have acted, I didn't and I regret that very much. I am not justifying it. I very much regret being there. In my case, after being 16 years as a public representative, I should have used better judgement."

On Thursday night I spoke to Leo Varadkar but I had (already) made a decision I was going to resign. I called him. The conversation was centred on what we are talking about right now. I woke up that Friday morning and knew I was going to resign."

"There was no conversation about that - I knew I was going to resign. I didn't live up to the expectations of people - I know people that have made huge sacrifices (during the pandemic). There was a breach of trust by me and I made the decision on Thursday night I was going to resign. It was my failing and my shortcoming."

No words of mine can convey my sorrow - I am sorry I let people down."

I have not been hiding from people. I am asking the people of Cork to allow me to make amends. I have had texts and letters from people and people are understandably angry. It is a learning experience for me. I am now asking for forgiveness for my mistake."

"I never in my life sought to be different - I am an ordinary person. I never acted as if I had privilege. I wish I could stop the clock and turn it back 15 days

To be honest, it (a by-election) is the furthest thing from my mind. I want to rebuild the relationship and trust I had with people. I will continue to work to rebuild that trust with people. I am not looking at a by-election at all."

My opinion on it
    It's been 15 days since the event.
    It's not an apology. He's asking to keep his job.

He had a false sense of security because of who was there so he thought he'd be grand. Therefore he knew it was wrong in the first place.

He's blaming the Hotel because they gave assurances, wants the electorate to understand what he's gone through since and for them to forgive him so that he can learn from it and continue working for them with his eye on the by election.

Given that he isn't a member of the Golf society who told him about the event?

He was already on holidays in the West and called the Hotel Tuesday night and went to it the next day at 2pm.

Senan Molony

Apparently Collins represented Irish Water in the past.

Take a look at the fees.
    https://twitter.com/davegibney/status/1301411834046619649?s=19

Jerry Buttimer has apologised again. Some would say this is cynical considering there might be a by election shortly.

Sen Buttimer, a Fine Gael TD in Cork South Central from 2011 to 2016, resigned as Leas-Cathaoirleach of the Seanad immediately in the wake of 'Golfgate.'

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/i-can-understand-the-anger-pain-and-frustration-of-people-i-am-angry-at-myself-senator-jerry-buttimer-apologises-for-attending-golfgate-dinner-39500504.html

"I am sorry to the people working in our frontline healthcare services, to the families of those who have died, who have recovered from Covid-19 and who have made great personal sacrifices during this difficult time," he said.

Firstly, I had to listen to the anger of people - there is embarrassment and mortification over what had happened. I am conscious
    that I let people down. It was important for me to listen to public anger. I also had to reflect on what happened. I am profoundly sorry - I know people will say it is 15 days later but my words are sincere."

"I was on holidays in the west of Ireland, I am not a member of the society but I went to the event. It was a huge error in judgement (it was) a combination of a false sense of security and complacency - I didn't live up to the expectations and demands placed on me as a member of the Oireachtas."

"I was on holidays in the west of Ireland and I threw the golf clubs in the back of the car. I arrived at the club at 2pm and played golf. There was no maliciousness or intent to cause harm."

"I did ask on Tuesday night the organisers and the hotel owner about the event and I was assured it was Covid compliant. But I made a decision to go so it is on me. I should not have gone. I am genuinely sorry for being there."

It was an act of complacency - a lack of concentration on my part. I didn't definitively go through the regulations and I regret that now."

"I had (been aware that guidelines had changed). If I am honest, I was probably too ready to accept the assurances that I was within the guidelines. But it was my responsibility."

"I should have left (the event) - I did have that thought in my head (about seating issues). It was a profound error of judgement. It was complacency, a false sense of security and being too willing to offer the assurances that were offered."

"I can understand the anger, pain and frustration of people - I am angry at myself. I let people down and I am really sorry for that. I am sorry I didn't leave the event."

"It is my responsibility - I should have acted, I didn't and I regret that very much. I am not justifying it. I very much regret being there. In my case, after being 16 years as a public representative, I should have used better judgement."

On Thursday night I spoke to Leo Varadkar but I had (already) made a decision I was going to resign. I called him. The conversation was centred on what we are talking about right now. I woke up that Friday morning and knew I was going to resign."

"There was no conversation about that - I knew I was going to resign. I didn't live up to the expectations of people - I know people that have made huge sacrifices (during the pandemic). There was a breach of trust by me and I made the decision on Thursday night I was going to resign. It was my failing and my shortcoming."

I have not been hiding from people. I am asking the people of Cork to allow me to make amends. I have had texts and letters from people and people are understandably angry. It is a learning experience for me. I am now asking for forgiveness for my mistake."

"I never in my life sought to be different - I am an ordinary person. I never acted as if I had privilege. I wish I could stop the clock and turn it back 15 days

To be honest, it (a by-election) is the furthest thing from my mind. I want to rebuild the relationship and trust I had with people. I will continue to work to rebuild that trust with people. I am not looking at a by-election at all."

My opinion on it

He had a false sense of security because of who was there so he thought he'd be grand. Therefore he knew it was wrong in the first place.

He's blaming the Hotel because they gave assurances, wants the electorate to understand what he's gone through since and for them to forgive him so that he can learn from it and continue working for them with his eye on the by election.

He was already on holidays in the West and called the Hotel Tuesday night and went to it the next day at 2pm.

I laughed out loud reading Jerrys guff. He was 15 days preparing that spoof and learning from all the other fake apologies. The Clifden Elite dinner will haunt FFG for a decade.

Phishnet wrote: »
    Just for re-balance.

How did Justice Seamus Woulfe arrive at this understanding?

What assertive actions did he take himself to satisfy his understanding?

The point of my post was not to defend SW.

I just posted his apology for clarity.

The link I posted from the Irish Times shows the seriousness of the fix he is in.

This explains why he is lawyering up for Denham.

The story has moved on beyond the Covid 19 issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I laughed out loud reading Jerrys guff. He was 15 days preparing that spoof and learning from all the other fake apologies. The Clifden Elite dinner will haunt FFG for a decade.

And the Gods were indeed displeased as we witnessed at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

My opinion on it

Gerry's problem is he try's too hard to come across as a man of the people when he needs votes and only when he needs votes. He's so full of his own self importance he should really be about 12 feet tall to be able to contain it.

Here he tries to reiterate in his inexcusably late attempt at grovelling that he has already done the honourable thing and resigned of his own free will when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

He resigned from a bonus position he somehow managed to wrangle that was worth an extra 25 grand a year to him for doing a job he was already getting very well paid for.

He hasn't resigned his position as a public representative, which he should be made to if Fine Gael wants to salvage any image of integrity from this shambles.

Leo is now trying to deflect away from this nightmare of a scenario now by giving press release's saying he thinks the wet pubs should be left open.

Really Leo, is that the best you can come up with? Have some respect for the people.

People like Buttimer disgust me with their sense of entitlement and self importance but thankfully they are few and far between and becoming a rarer feature in public office.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Phishnet wrote: »
    If this golf dinner had occurred in England or Scotland (even if Covid was not around) the Judges who attended would be dismissed from office.

Like Cummings was?

Like Cummings was?

No separation of powers between Boris and Dom! It’s Dom that has the power. As Anne Widdecombe once remarked about Michael Howard, there is "something of the night about him”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Like Cummings was?

When was Cummings made a judge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That was quite the apology from Jerry Buttimer and 15 days after he issued apology number one. I wonder what was going on in the background there. It sounds like internal party shennaigans to me, maybe someone told Buttimer that Coveney was definitely running for EU commissioner so Buttimer thought there was going to be a by-election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement