Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Whats the cost of a full course of IBT nowadays?

495 I paid for new to biking a few weeks ago and one to one training.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

All the prices seemed to go up after Covid, mine was originally €350 for 1:2 but its now up to €450 I think,

It is cheaper if you do it with another person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭goblin59

you have to have all the gear now too, they don't have loaner stuff since either

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭robbie_63

goblin59 wrote: »
    you have to have all the gear now too, they don't have loaner stuff since either

I was told I just need to have my own Helmet \ gloves

oh ok! I heard they wern't even doing the jackets and boots anymore.

Would definitly recommend your own helmet and gloves anyway.
    if they don't fit properly theyre a massive distraction.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »

Yea but most IBT instructors seem to be selling them off which is great price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Hi all,

Newbie here,

Have a honda cbf 600. I just noticed today a bit of residue on one of the forks. How much is it to get seals replaced?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Shanzze wrote: »
    Hi all,

Newbie here,

Have a honda cbf 600. I just noticed today a bit of residue on one of the forks. How much is it to get seals replaced?

Thanks in advance.

If you are anyway mechanically inclined try this first.

https://youtu.be/S5L2K2PXGtA

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

PCeeeee wrote: »
    If you are anyway mechanically inclined try this first.

https://youtu.be/S5L2K2PXGtA

Thanks PCeeeee, I will give that a go. The dust caps are a bit worse for ware but this might keep me going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Check for pitting on the stanchion. Pointless task if its just going to leak again.

• Advertisement

Day/Night 2, few less stalls, out in more traffic, getting through the gears, finding my way nicely, need to slow in entries and into taking turns a bit tighter, overall very happy for day two, had my friend ride with me tonight and done my first overtake with him, no cars about totally safe. Spin today in the day with more traffic so good challenge today and looking forward to it. Practice makes perfect. :D. How are all the other newbies getting on? The encouragement from other riders that I know and online is brilliant, such a community already that’s one of the things I’m looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I picked up mine yesterday. Was riding around getting used to the bike and riding again when i took a wrong turn and ended up on a dual carriageway. Twas scary but a confidence booster too.
    Just need a lot of practice over the weekend to get my self back to the level was at when I first passed my test a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Keep up the good work, lads!

DistortedDiscreteAsp-small.gif

I picked up mine yesterday. Was riding around getting used to the bike and riding again when i took a wrong turn and ended up on a dual carriageway. Twas scary but a confidence booster too.
    Just need a lot of practice over the weekend to get my self back to the level was at when I first passed my test a decade ago.

I've done that before.
    Forgot to tell the satnav to avoid the motorways and ended up going onto the M11.

Motorways aren't too bad if your bike doesn't shake at high speed, theyre just dull as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Out for a scoot this morning
    Wicklow Town down to Arklow & on to Inch
    On down to Gorey and courtown finished up in curracloe beach and back to wicklow :-)
    Enjoyed it
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭happy cookie

Went for a 200km round trip today. Tired as hell afterwards but same as everyone else: a big confidence booster. I've to do a bit more work on right turns coming out of junctions. They just freak me out, otherwise I'm fine.

:mad: rant now.... twice today I have had car drivers overtake me on the left. Both times in two of the most dangerous places for accidents near where I live. I was doing normal speeds and I could still see the "body language" of the car behind me (I've been driving for donkey's) so I was almost expecting them to do that. It's fine for me to say but I now wonder about all those young motorcyclists with no driving experience involved in accidents... I'd say most of the time it's not their fault!!! rant over...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Are you using ear plugs by any chance?

Went for a 200km round trip today. Tired as hell afterwards but same as everyone else: a big confidence booster. I've to do a bit more work on right turns coming out of junctions. They just freak me out, otherwise I'm fine.

:mad: rant now.... twice today I have had car drivers overtake me on the left. Both times in two of the most dangerous places for accidents near where I live. I was doing normal speeds and I could still see the "body language" of the car behind me (I've been driving for donkey's) so I was almost expecting them to do that. It's fine for me to say but I now wonder about all those young motorcyclists with no driving experience involved in accidents... I'd say most of the time it's not their fault!!! rant over...:(

Undertaking you on single lane roads???

100 percent agree, I was coming through Lemybrien today and it slows to 60 n the car was up my ass and I kept my road position and wasn’t intimidated but he was so ignorant but I stood my ground (as the saying goes) he wasn’t long copping on. We pulled over for most of traffic today and a line of Porsche Carreras/911 who hooted us after, great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Same here two complete tossers overtook me when i was doing 100kph so not crawling along
    On a normal road not a dual carriageway again Same as yourself driving for donkeys years so well used to tossers of all sorts
    its that yellow vest with the L makes them think they should be in front
    does not even register in their little peanut sized brain that you may have been driving before they were born :-(

• Advertisement

100 percent agree, I was coming through Lemybrien today and it slows to 60 n the car was up my ass and I kept my road position and wasn’t intimidated but he was so ignorant but I stood my ground (as the saying goes) he wasn’t long copping on. We pulled over for most of traffic today and a line of Porsche Carreras/911 who hooted us after, great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

+1 really? Was your right indicator on or something.

zubair wrote: »
    +1 really? Was your right indicator on or something.

I have to say, over five years on the bike and I never had that happen. And I did wear my L vest, so it's not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I know what you are saying here as I have been in the same position since I started on my bike last year. Some drivers are just plain nuts when they come up behind a bike and those who go 20 or 30 over the limit are the ones who grind my gears the most. Sometimes I suspect they don't realize how dangerous they are as they lack the concentration to see their own shortcomings.

Dan.

I know what you are saying here as I have been in the same position since I started on my bike last year. Some drivers are just plain nuts when they come up behind a bike and those who go 20 or 30 over the limit are the ones who grind my gears the most. Sometimes I suspect they don't realize how dangerous they are as they lack the concentration to see their own shortcomings.

Same here I had to hit the brakes a few times to get his attention even though I had an L vest on and I was doing the speed limit coming through a village. Some have no respect for bikes, big egos are the most dangerous thing on the roads no matter what transport it is.

Same here I had to hit the brakes a few times to get his attention even though I had an L vest on and I was doing the speed limit coming through a village. Some have no respect for bikes, big egos are the most dangerous thing on the roads no matter what transport it is.

Brake checks on a bike really aren't a great idea. You might get someone doddery or a poor driver who end up hitting you from behind.

It's great being right, but not as fun with a broken leg or busted head. Just be aware of how vulnerable you are on the bike cos it takes **** all to knock you off and that's plain bad news.

Nope, First incident in a 3 lane roundabout (the infamous tunnel one in Cork). The left lane is supposed to go only to the left (where she was), middle lane to go straight into the tunnel (where I was), right lane to go straight or right. We were stopped at the light in the middle of the roundabout, I took off on my lane, it took her slightly longer to take off on the left, then proceeded to cut across in front of me when her lane was forcing her to go left. Then straight away she moved to the right lane (looked like she crossed 2 lanes in one manoeuvre, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt that she checked before moving)

Second incident, similar thing, 3 lane interchange. Left lane supposed to go left only, middle and right lanes go straight. I came out of the bend, indicated to go into the middle lane and since it was clear I went (limit 60 and it's what I was doing). Next thing I couldn't see them behind me anymore and there was nobody on my right, so looked left and there they were, speeding on the wrong lane to get ahead of me. Why they didn't overtake on the correct lane is beyond me as there was no traffic in it.

And my indicators were correct both times, no I hadn't left them on. That's one thing that got hammered into me when I was doing the IBT, and I always cancel them myself in the car anyway so I'm used to cancelling.

I've found the opposite as well, some people are great and when they see you with the L vest they give you space and time, kudos to all those!!

Brake checks on a bike really aren't a great idea. You might get someone doddery or a poor driver who end up hitting you from behind.

It's great being right, but not as fun with a broken leg or busted head. Just be aware of how vulnerable you are on the bike cos it takes **** all to knock you off and that's plain bad news.

I was far enough away to use it without putting myself in danger but I fully take your point but I had to slow down in the village, he was the one not obeying the law but again I fully understand your point, thank you. Everyday we learn.

• Advertisement

Had a struggle with few roundabouts yesterday, previous two days I was fine but the first one coming into Dungarvan I had to pull into the side as I couldn’t get the turn right. 99% of my riding is positive as it could be for Day 3 of riding. Any tips for roundabouts?

Advertisement