Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill & Ted Face the Music

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Right, not even pretending there might be a cinematic release. I suppose this can't have cost too much that the studio needs to claw back hundreds of millions *looks at Tenet*

As to the trailer? Ehhh, I dunno. Just reminds me of all those Super Bowl commercials; you know the type. One of those skits where they drag back the old actors for a riff on their Greatest Hit before plugging a car or whatnot (see McGuyver, Ferris Bueller etc. etc.). If they manage to make a good story out of this then sweet, otherwise I'd be wary it's a constant nudge in the ribs "hey remember this bit?? Callback!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

pixelburp wrote: »
    Right, not even pretending there might be a cinematic release. I suppose this can't have cost too much that the studio needs to claw back hundreds of millions *looks at Tenet*

As to the trailer? Ehhh, I dunno. Just reminds me of all those Super Bowl commercials; you know the type. One of those skits where they drag back the old actors for a riff on their Greatest Hit before plugging a car or whatnot (see McGuyver, Ferris Bueller etc. etc.). If they manage to make a good story out of this then sweet, otherwise I'd be wary it's a constant nudge in the ribs "hey remember this bit?? Callback!"

I mean

:P

Looks like the Billie & Thea side of it is a cover of the first two movies in pursuit of the song that will save reality while Bill & Ted look to fix whatever they break by trying to cheat. Presumably reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Won't watch the trailer as it's too close to the release and those ones usually give away too much, but just over a month away now.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

Really looking forward to this!

Alex Winter and Keanu will be on Comic Con at Home later today along with William Sadler etc for anyone who is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I had no idea this was being released on-demand.

Sitting down to watch now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Basq wrote: »
    I had no idea this was being released on-demand.

Sitting down to watch now.

vpn ? as it's not out here till sept 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Just finished it there. I was worried I was gona hate it but I really enjoyed it.
    Alex Winter was brilliant and Keanu wasn't as wooden overall as he seemed in the few clips that were released.
    Some hilarious bits in it and I laughed out loud quite a few times. Death is brilliant as was the new Robot dude

Not perfect, and I'm not sure it'll be everyone's cup of tea but it's definately a thumbs up from me.
    Reviews seem pretty divisive so far but I hope it does well $$$- wise given the current climate

It was cringe at times.. but then again, the originals were too.

Anthony Carrigan (NoHo Hank in HBO's 'Barry') as Dennis Caleb McCoy was inspired casting.

Solid 90 minutes with a few laughs and fun nods to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I enjoyed it.

The princesses have great plastic surgeons as they looks so different and haven't aged as much as their husbands. :)

I was wondering why there was something familiar about Dennis then realised he was Victor Zsasz from Gotham.
    Of course it was predictable from the way they kept saying Preston/Logan that it would be the daughters.

So we have Mozart, Hendrix, Armstrong.... and Cudi??? Who the feck is Kid Cudi?

Oh and FYI, there's a post credits scene. I never know is saying that a spoiler or a helpful hint?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

What a plesant surprise! I thought that was great.

I mean it was silly and stupid - but no more or less than Bill and Ted should be. Nothing felt too forced. Seemed like they were just picking it all up right where they left off.

I was giggling all the way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They really should have left if after the second one.

It was dreadful stuff ,woefully unfunny, I was going to turn it off after 60 minutes.

It was basically a rehash of the second film but without the fun or humour.
    Why were so many of the supporting characters unfunny female characters ?
    Its like it was an exercise in woke culture and political correctness picking the cast.
    Every major character that could be changed (and some that couldn't) are now women.

The 2 daughters were awful .
    Rufus's daughter ,she was so annoying , her voice aagh , as was that killer robot guy.
    None of the characters bar Bill,Ted and Death brought any humour to the story.

The whole plot was a rushed mess and the dialogue was just not funny, it felt forced .
    It made absolutely no sense at all and contradicted the second film.
    The soundtrack was lame, compared to the first 2 films .

Who is this film aimed at ,fans of the original or kids ?
    I can't believe it was written by the same guys as the first 2.
    4/10 and thats being generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

They really should have left if after the second one.

It was dreadful stuff ,woefully unfunny, I was going to turn it off after 60 minutes.

It was basically a rehash of the second film but without the fun or humour.
    Why were so many of the supporting characters unfunny female characters ?
    Its like it was an exercise in woke culture and political correctness picking the cast.
    Every major character that could be changed (and some that couldn't) are now women.

The 2 daughters were awful .
    Rufus's daughter ,she was so annoying , her voice aagh , as was that killer robot guy.
    None of the characters bar Bill,Ted and Death brought any humour to the story.

The whole plot was a rushed mess and the dialogue was just not funny, it felt forced .
    It made absolutely no sense at all and contradicted the second film.
    The soundtrack was lame, compared to the first 2 films .

Who is this film aimed at ,fans of the original or kids ?
    I can't believe it was written by the same guys as the first 2.
    4/10 and thats being generous.

First off I agree with most of this but I have an addition.
    I'm a fan of the original and could have done without the second film but whatever it was an attempt to catch the magic again.
    This tripe is, as the poster above has expressed better than I can, wanna be woke nonsense but with one hilarious addition. The wives are the same characters from the excellent adventure but the actresses are not the same actresses they are much younger. The original princesses were played by women the same age as the leads but they have been replaced by younger models so the movie isn't even "woke " it's just trying to cash in on wokeness.

I hated it, I don't know who it was made for and to top it all it made me feel old. 2/10

Is being a women woke now?

Why would/should they have been male characters? What difference does that make.

Please don't answer.

Goodshape wrote: »

Why would/should they have been male characters? What difference does that make.

Please don't answer.

Is this to the world in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Vestiapx wrote: »
    First off I agree with most of this but I have an addition.
    I'm a fan of the original and could have done without the second film but whatever it was an attempt to catch the magic again.
    This tripe is, as the poster above has expressed better than I can, wanna be woke nonsense but with one hilarious addition. The wives are the same characters from the excellent adventure but the actresses are not the same actresses they are much younger. The original princesses were played by women the same age as the leads but they have been replaced by younger models so the movie isn't even "woke " it's just trying to cash in on wokeness.

I hated it, I don't know who it was made for and to top it all it made me feel old. 2/10

The princesses in the second film were actually different to the first one.
    Perhaps the original actresses werent available .
    One of the new princesses is 41 ,the other 44 .

It just felt odd to me that most of the characters had been changed into women.
    Rufus is replaced by his wife and daughter.
    The future council were all female .
    Bill and Ted's sons are now daughters .
    One is non binary.

The band assembled by the daughters,only one was white, one of them Ling Lun, was portrayed as a female ,when the historical person was male.

These are just small things but it gave the film a weird vibe.

I probably wouldnt have noticed these things if the film was anyway decent, which it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

How do I watch this?

I probably wouldnt have noticed these things if the film was anyway decent, which it wasn't.

Maybe. I did enjoy the film and honestly didn't notice them. Was too busy giggling at the stupidity of everything.

I mean obviously I noticed that the 'next generation' Bill and Ted were both female, but that's just par for the course these days and didn't make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched this last night. Really did not work in so many areas for me. Which is a shame, because in the run up, I watched the first two again. Films I wasn't a huge fan of when I first saw them, but they work and are funny in their own way, particularly 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey'. 'Bill and Ted Face the Music' doesn't, however, and feels terribly laboured unfortunately.

Reeves has also lost his "woah" after spending years trying to get away from it and now can't regain the...er..."magic". He just can't do Ted any more, after decades of doing Ted.

It comes off as a cheap attempt to recapture something that died in the 90's...and should have stayed dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Watched it the other night, and reasonably enjoyed this.
    People need to stop pretending the originals were a masterpiece of cinema, I mean, I loved them growing up but they aren't flawless.

It was silly, a bit zany and was clearly a movie made for fun.

Usually happy to see a bit of call out about fake woeness, but really didn't notice any of it. Couldn't care less about the daughters, or that Rufus was replaced by his wife and daughter. Hell, it would make sense Rufus' close relatives would be the ones to replace him.

Watching it for what it is, just a fun movie designed to poke at some nostalgia then I'd give it a 6/10.

The princesses in the second film were actually different to the first one.
    Perhaps the original actresses werent available .
    One of the new princesses is 41 ,the other 44 .

It just felt odd to me that most of the characters had been changed into women.
    Rufus is replaced by his wife and daughter.
    The future council were all female .
    Bill and Ted's sons are now daughters .
    One is non binary.

The band assembled by the daughters,only one was white, one of them Ling Lun, was portrayed as a female ,when the historical person was male.

These are just small things but it gave the film a weird vibe.

What age were the originals ? What age were the princesses in the second film.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Watched this last night. Really did not work in so many areas for me. Which is a shame, because in the run up, I watched the first two again. Films I wasn't a huge fan of when I first saw them, but they work and are funny in their own way, particularly 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey'. 'Bill and Ted Face the Music' doesn't, however, and feels terribly laboured unfortunately.

Reeves has also lost his "woah" after spending years trying to get away from it and now can't regain the...er..."magic". He just can't do Ted any more, after decades of doing Ted.

It comes off as a cheap attempt to recapture something that died in the 90's...and should have stayed dead.

It died in the 80s Bogus journey was pointless.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    It died in the 80s Bogus journey was pointless.

None of these films have a "point". They're silly films about Californian airheads that get more story than they would usually get. Excellent Adventure and Bogus Journey really work however. You don't like the latter, fine. But, as a film, it was written well and, overall, there is a well crafted movie in there that's enjoyable on its own terms.

'Bill and Ted Face the Music' doesn't work that well, however, because everyone is JUST trying to recapture something that happened decades ago and was lost. Which is a bit of a trend in modern Hollywood these days.

I thought there was some charm to it in the beginning, but Reeves was indeed a fish no longer able to swim in that water.
    The last song, was so homogenous it was almost vomit worthy. Fail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I applaud Bogus Journey because whatever else it was, it wasn't a lazy sequel and retread of the original film. It was imaginative with a truly surreal, inventive and original story to it. Some sections more like early Tim Burton than anything else.

It had the balls to stick a Bergman reference into a stupid teen comedy, so on that basis alone it deserves to be applauded. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, this had a few funny moments, but overall it just felt way too labored and it completely runs out of steam in the last act.

Samara Weaving was fairly alright as Bill-ess, but the actress playing Ted-ess was god-awful, so painfully forced.

Alex Winter and Keanu were pretty OK, and I did like some of the scenes, but the script just really wasn't there.

I know $25m isn't much these days, but the film also looked incredibly cheap and the CGI was completely uneven, I've seen films costing half as much that look incomparably better.

Last thought - Keanu really needs to stick with the beard. He looks younger in every scene where his alter self has facial hair. He looks like Alan Rickman from Harry Potter clean shaven in this.

Overall....sort of alright for a lazy nostalgic type of movie, but I think 5/10 is generous enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this tonight and I really enjoyed it. Way more than I expected to considering I've never actually sat through an entire Bill &Ted movie before. It had a certain amount of charm, everyone involved was sincere and it shows in the final product. Keanu does indeed look a dead ringer for Alan Rickman in Harry Potter, which at time can be a little disconcerting considering the intensity and darkness of that character and the light tone of this movie. I'd agree about the "Woke-ness" thing at play here, it's very apparent and comes across as forced and artificial. The genie has been well truly let out of the bottle now what with the new Oscar criteria coming into effect in a couple of years.......the two girls playing Bill and Ted's daughters mug it and overcook their performances a little too much but not so much to ruin the movie. Anyway overall the tone is sincere and the movie as a whole is fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caught this before the cinemas shut up shop again, and I had a very strange reaction to it. I didn’t laugh once, found a lot of the acting pretty rough, and a lot of the ideas terribly laboured. But as it rapidly hurdled forwards, and all the characters were coming together, I found myself... thoroughly charmed? Once again, I found the whole thing pretty haphazard and rather cheap, but it ended up putting a smile on my face. It’s a film I enjoyed almost in spite of itself? Fundamentally, I think there’s a certain warm-heartedness and basic decency at the centre of this series that even came through in a fairly laboured, belated sequel.

My one big criticism though is the loss of the weirder retro-futurist vibe of the originals. The overly slick and glossy future here felt very, very cheap in comparison to some of the more striking and cinematic visuals in parts of the original. Not to overstate the originals as some sort of canonical masterpieces or anything, but you can really feel the departure from celluloid to digital film here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Caught this before the cinemas shut up shop again, and I had a very strange reaction to it. I didn’t laugh once, found a lot of the acting pretty rough, and a lot of the ideas terribly laboured. But as it rapidly hurdled forwards, and all the characters were coming together, I found myself... thoroughly charmed? Once again, I found the whole thing pretty haphazard and rather cheap, but it ended up putting a smile on my face. It’s a film I enjoyed almost in spite of itself? Fundamentally, I think there’s a certain warm-heartedness and basic decency at the centre of this series that even came through in a fairly laboured, belated sequel.

My one big criticism though is the loss of the weirder retro-futurist vibe of the originals. The overly slick and glossy future here felt very, very cheap in comparison to some of the more striking and cinematic visuals in parts of the original. Not to overstate the originals as some sort of canonical masterpieces or anything, but you can really feel the departure from celluloid to digital film here.

I think this is the best summary of it.

It's a good movie, in the sense that you're not going into this for a thought provoking masterpiece or cinematic explosion of special effects and explosions.

You're going into to it for a bit of fun, an amusing story from your youth being finished up.

I will say though, after a second watch, Keanu is really starting to show his age now, especially without the beard.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I will say though, after a second watch, Keanu is really starting to show his age now, especially without the beard.
    You think he looks 56? Not a bit of it..

Advertisement