Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Just watched Batman Begins a few days ago for the first time. It's alright. Passes 2.5 hours but not something to get awful excited about. But one thing that stood out to me - is Scarecrow the silliest type villain in Batman movies. I don't really get the point. Can spray a bit of gas at people. Great. Well done.

Its a film that gets better on repeat watches.
    I've seen it about 5 or 6 times, its as good as The Dark Knight in my opinion, which is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Memento was decent.

The Prestige was fairly ****e and eclipsed by The Illusionist. Give me Ed Norton, Paul Giamatti and Philip Glass any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just watched Batman Begins a few days ago for the first time. It's alright. Passes 2.5 hours but not something to get awful excited about. But one thing that stood out to me - is Scarecrow the silliest type villain in Batman movies. I don't really get the point. Can spray a bit of gas at people. Great. Well done.
    I wouldn't put it among his best movies, but it's a well done origin story. The characters are all clearly motivated, the action grounded, the threat credible enough that you didn't spend the movie picking holes in it. There's some clever lines that don't distract from the story. There are no lasers from space destroying famous landmarks. In terms of superhero movies that came before, it was more serious than Spiderman and like manna from heaven for fans of the character after the high camp of the Schumacher era.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The Nal wrote: »
    Memento was decent.

The Prestige was fairly ****e and eclipsed by The Illusionist. Give me Ed Norton, Paul Giamatti and Philip Glass any day.

:eek:

The Prestige is one of Nolans finest films, that and Interstellar are just perfect.

The Prestige >>>>>>>>>> Illusionist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Saw Tenet this morning and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable!

Not as good as Inception, but was a good cinema experience.

As with a lot of CN films, the dialogue is sadly indecipherable at times.. I think i would have enjoyed it a lot more with subtitles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Giruilla wrote: »
    As with a lot of CN films, the dialogue is sadly indecipherable at times..

One of the things that really bugs me. Lots of mumbling and weird production. Maybe hes hiding his dialogue because its usually fairly poor.

Giruilla wrote: »
    As with a lot of CN films, the dialogue is sadly indecipherable at times.. I think i would have enjoyed it a lot more with subtitles

Thats disappointing,the dialogue in Interstellar was poorly mixed too .

yes the dialogue / other sound clash can be really bad and the most annoying thing about it is that it is particularly bad for a part very near the start which gets you to go "ah ffs" very early on.

not sure how to feel about the movie - a cinema event I suppose but I found that the temporal aspects a bit too overwhelming at times which detracted from the experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Thought it was ****e. Could hardly hear any dialog throughout the movie. The plot is difficult to follow. The acting was meh... Kenneth Branagh being the star. The cinematography... the score... nothing came close to his other films and I'm a huge fan of them all. Disappointing.

Thought it was ****e. Could hardly hear any dialog throughout the movie. The plot is difficult to follow. The acting was meh... Kenneth Branagh being the star. The cinematography... the score... nothing came close to his other films and I'm a huge fan of them all. Disappointing.

Most of the time he's doing some po-faced Roman Abramovich type with the odd grunt of a sentence :P

But yes disappointing. Hyped but notwithstanding the hype disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

True but when he wasn't on screen I was hoping it would switch back to him. I think him, Pattinson and the women were all better than the main character which is funny due to the ongoing discussion within the film about main protagonists.

I get you. Pattinson (and in some ways Branagh) was probably the best thing in it but even then he was just an occasional distraction with his sort of whimsical manner

I found myself not caring about how the ending went as the denouement event kicked off and that feeling continued to the credits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The full, unadulterated Christopher Nolan Cinema Experience (c) - for better and for worse.

Very much the natural next step in Nolan's obsession with manipulating time, from the temporally playful editing of Dunkirk to the proudly high-concept setpieces of Inception and non-chronological wit of Memento. The central 'gimmick' of this film is less immediately obvious than the 'dream heist' setup of Inception, and certainly isn't quite as trailer friendly as the rotating centrepiece room of that film. But especially in the second half Nolan goes to town with his backwards and forward trickery, producing the sort of distinctively cynical, slick sessions of multiplex-friendly mind-****ery the man has built his career on. The film starts with multiple bangs via a great prologue, and is at its best with a series of extended, bombastic setpieces of high stakes and multiple interwoven perspectives. Bombast, booming soundtrack and indulgent action: pure Nolan.

It's also pure Nolan in all the bad ways too. The first hour after the prologue is painful - there's a lot of getting the pieces into place, and while they do pay off for the most part, it doesn't make watching the plot (which manages that familiar big budget thriller trick of being simple and over complicated simultaneously) machinations any more enjoyable. The film tries desperately hard to have an emotional core, but a bland protagonist neuters out most of the potential in that regard. Pattinson is unsurprisingly the best in cast; Debicki does her best with a very 'female character in a Christopher Nolan film' role; and Branagh is like a token 90s schlock villain with a Russian accent.

There's also the niggling sense that Nolan is being a bit too much of a smartarse for his own good: almost like he's demanding we be impressed by his time-bending narrative shenanigans as they unfold with the sort of clinical precision you expect from the man. No doubt there are pleasures to be found in seeing some of said developments unfold, but it's relentless and exhausting too. Inception explained itself too clearly, and this almost has the opposite problem: for a film loaded with exposition, it's too breathless for the big concepts to really land before we're rushed forward. But honestly I reckon that's a consequence of Nolan's increasingly frantic, uneasy editing: the bloody thing feels like it has been stuck together with duct tape. It feels like every minute of its 2.5 hours, while many scenes still needed more space to actually work.

Like all Nolan films, though, what you're here for is ultimately a big, dumb, brash genre film with a 'smart' veneer. This is basically the spy film homage of the snow section in Inception blown into feature length - essentially a Bond film with weirdly specific time travel. It's a treat on the big screen, although also the kind of film you frequently want to shout out in frustration. It'll offer plenty of ammo for those who eagerly anticipate Nolan's every big summer event movie, and more deadly inverted ammo for those who feel the man has lost the run of himself.

If you see one film back in the reopened cinemas? Babyteeth is better :p But ultimately this is the kind of big screen spectacle still worth social distancing for, even if it feels like Christopher Nolan is tediously daring you to watch it twice so you'll understand the darn internet timeline diagrams and YouTube explainers we can anticipate any day now.

I really think that it's about time that Nolan calls time on the the overriding use of the theme of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

:eek:

The Prestige is one of Nolans finest films, that and Interstellar are just perfect.

The Prestige >>>>>>>>>> Illusionist

As someone who is decidedly Nolan-resistant, I thought The Prestige was superb, helped because of it's linearity perhaps.

TDK was a bit meh, as usual we know Bale is being intense as he drops his voice to a low growl; can never watch it without thinking of the hilarious Kenny/Mysterion rip-off in South Park.

glasso wrote: »
    I really think that it's about time that Nolan calls time on the the overriding use of the theme of time.

s-l400.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shame this film doesn’t feature the Hans Zimmer classic No Time For Caution (Except For During A Pandemic, When You Should Cautiously Evaluate The Risk Of Going To The Cinema Based On The Status Of The Virus In Your Local Area)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday.

I'm giving it 6 out of Ten-et

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

So when
    She describes seeing the woman dive off the yacht and how she yearns for that freedom, yet later we see that it's her diving after killing Sato - so is free .... yet she then proceeds to explain to the protagonist how she is still captured , ie Sato is still alive, or did she kill a different Sato ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

All I can say is Wow.......I loved it but it is absolutely insane. I admit to not having a Barneys as to what was going on most of the time. Yet I couldn't get enough of it. This is Christopher nolan's "Kid A".....which is fine by me because I loved Kid A. But the movie going masses will not like this at all, in fact there was walkout at the screening I went to. I've seen most of nolan's films in the cinema and not once did I witness a walk out. But you will never see another film like this, technically its incredible. Although one minor gripe is that at times the sound quality of the dialogue was so poor that subtitles would've been appropriate. Not the first time that could be said about his films so not sure if its deliberate or not. But this is a film that requires multiple viewings, which is ok by me because like kid A it'll get better every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Is it suitable for an almost 11 year old boy who is mad into movies or will he get confused and bored? Thanks :)

bullvine wrote: »
    Is it suitable for an almost 11 year old boy who is mad into movies or will he get confused and bored? Thanks :)

He will love it for the action alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

A solid MEH from me.

Great to go back to cinema, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

He will love it for the action alone.

Excellent thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

santana75 wrote: »
    All I can say is Wow.......I loved it but it is absolutely insane. I admit to not having a Barneys as to what was going on most of the time. Yet I couldn't get enough of it. This is Christopher nolan's "Kid A".....which is fine by me because I loved Kid A. But the movie going masses will not like this at all, in fact there was walkout at the screening I went to. I've seen most of nolan's films in the cinema and not once did I witness a walk out. But you will never see another film like this, technically its incredible. Although one minor gripe is that at times the sound quality of the dialogue was so poor that subtitles would've been appropriate. Not the first time that could be said about his films so not sure if its deliberate or not. But this is a film that requires multiple viewings, which is ok by me because like kid A it'll get better every time.

Good synopsis in terms of enjoyment from the movie - I would have felt the same about inception. I rewatched inception again latley and enjoyed it on the small screen better.
    I know with this, it will be the same. The music and sound effects won't be as loud so might be able to hear the dialogue better.
    Definitely will need a second watch but I can wait for a small screen version as it can't be spoilt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

santana75 wrote: »
    in fact there was walkout at the screening I went to.

I've never understood the idea of walkouts even if a movie is mediocre... you've paid for your seat, might as well enjoy the cinema experience regardless of what's going on on the screen.

I wonder what those people end up doing with the rest of the hour or so that is so much more valuable to their time.

Thinking about it more I found the inversion aspect more jarring rather than transfixing. It took me it of the cinema experience rather than further in.

The dialogue audio being indecipherable in parts only added to this effect.

The set pieces didn't really wow either. The start was the best part really in a lot of ways.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've never understood the idea of walkouts even if a movie is mediocre... you've paid for your seat, might as well enjoy the cinema experience regardless of what's going on on the screen.

I wonder what those people end up doing with the rest of the hour or so that is so much more valuable to their time.

I'd agree with you, but have you ever seen Housesitter with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn ?

I did back when I was 14 in the cinema and to this day it's the only film I've walked out on ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd agree with you, but have you ever seen Housesitter with Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn ?

I did back when I was 14 in the cinema and to this day it's the only film I've walked out on ...

I sat through Coyote Ugly...GF's choice

... seats were too damned comfy I just left my brain at the door and sat back for the experience even if I don't recall a second of the movie :D

Advertisement