Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spear wrote: »
    Well, my first flight attempt involved my aircraft breaking up barely 100m out of Dublin International. Not an ideal start.

It is very demanding hardware wise though. I'm only getting 30fps on an i9 7900x and 2x GTX 1080s. I knew it would need a lot of power, but I though my machine would be up for it still.

At what settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is this meant to auto setup a hotas setup? (saitek x52) its killing me trying to figure out keybindings

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

awec wrote: »
    At what settings?

Ultra, 2560x1440.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

So whats the verdict guys? I'm sure Ireland is represented fantastically well? Any good screenshots? Would anyone be able to maybe capture a few screenshots/short video of my hometown? Having developed all the Eiresim scenery in my past life, it would fantastic to see how the latest technology shows up my local village.

The link to my village is here

https://goo.gl/maps/GPHFXyiixpYXForF9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

cherrytaz wrote: »
    So whats the verdict guys? I'm sure Ireland is represented fantastically well? Any good screenshots? Would anyone be able to maybe capture a few screenshots/short video of my hometown? Having developed all the Eiresim scenery in my past life, it would fantastic to see how the latest technology shows up my local village.

Try find the village on Bing maps, that's what MS uses! Some higher resolution, but struggles a bit with the 3d views! It'd be another level of quality if they used Google maps data!

I'm trying to figure out how to place a few markers on the maps, instead of just eyeballing where certain places are and flying along the roads i'd drive! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Skyknight

59Km North West of Athboy at coordinates 53.932709, -7.405461

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 24,949 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cherrytaz wrote: »

Is that it?

https://imgur.com/a/8KmsD1c

That should be St Felims church at the bottom, and the curve of houses below the wing is Seangharrai Drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Starts at 8:11 I think... Hard to find with no waypoints (video is still processing so give it time for 1080p)

Knock could very much do with a revamp. Ideally from Ciano, but even my attempt at an X-Plane knock looked better than this. Early days I suppose.

BXGAFol.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Flew Around west and north Kerry. It's quiet accurate in fairness. The building types are much different but fairly well represented all the same. Lokking forward to more exploration up the west!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Having some issues loading into this. Suspect my internet might need a reset as it took several attempts to even log into Xbox Live and get to the 'Press Any Key' screen, now I'm greeted with a 92GB update on top of the 100GB initial installation? If I knew that I would have booted it up earlier to get it out of the way, the anticipation is killing me!

Hopefully my i7 2700k and GTX1060 will manage to run this ok. Apparently turning off AI planes helps quite a lot for performance. Anyone know of any other tweaks to help with performance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Installed this tonight first flight sim.
    Only done early tutorials so far but it's very enjoyable, I'm actually flying ;)
    I'm using a controller and it's not bad , any point hooking up my steering wheel and pedals , is it usable?
    If I continue to enjoy I'll buy some proper controller hardware.
    Runs great on my rig @ 2560 X 1440 very high settings
    8600K @ 4.6 GHz & 1080ti .
    Might have to drop graphics a bit once I get to large cities.

I take back what I said about Knock, Shannon is in a dire state compared to Knock: There is no taxiway A, and no apron whatsoever. I wouldn't normally care that much but for the fact I was flying at night and couldn't find the green taxiway lights after landing on 24.

PS3fih4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Dcully wrote: »
    Installed this tonight first flight sim.
    Only done early tutorials so far but it's very enjoyable, I'm actually flying ;)
    I'm using a controller and it's not bad , any point hooking up my steering wheel and pedals , is it usable?
    If I continue to enjoy I'll buy some proper controller hardware.
    Runs great on my rig @ 2560 X 1440 very high settings
    8600K @ 4.6 GHz & 1080ti .
    Might have to drop graphics a bit once I get to large cities.

You could use your clutch and accelerator as rudder pedals but using the steering wheel would be useless! Not sure if you meant the question that way! :D

Doge wrote: »
    You could use your clutch and accelerator as rudder pedals but using the steering wheel would be useless! Not sure if you meant the question that way! :D

Yeah meant pedals as rudder :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Yeah meant pedals as rudder :)
    What kind of wheel? Logitech wheels tend to have a split axis on the clutch and accelerator which made it trickier for me to do exactly this back in day on FSX.
    On the plus side, if you can get it to work and can turn the centering force feedback off on the steering wheel then you've got yourself a very nice pitch trim wheel like this one https://www.reddit.com/r/Xplane/comments/eq6nbz/whilst_setting_up_my_racing_pedals_for_use_as/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Has anyone tried the Active Pause feature? It just pauses the plane and you can go out and get a drone view from outside the aircraft anywhere you want.
    It might be better for looking at certain things instead of multitasking.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Active Pause feature? It just pauses the plane and you can go out and get a drone view from outside the aircraft anywhere you want.
    It might be better for looking at certain things instead of multitasking.

I did last night but if the plane was tilting down under the horizon it could actually "crash" even though I had the game paused.

The plane would be frozen in air visually but it was like the physics engine was unpaused!

Strange bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    Starts at 8:11 I think... Hard to find with no waypoints (video is still processing so give it time for 1080p)

Thank you very much, I can see our farm on this! Fantastic. I think they have definitely overdone it on the trees in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I cant fly !! Any time the move the stick and re center, the aircraft stick stays where it is. i have to counteract it to bring it back. Its aful!! I changed the dynamics from Modern to legacy and it helped some bit but i still barrel rolled the A320 after turning off the autopilot to land. I cant understand how its so different to FSX and PMDG.
    The graphics are out of this world tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Flying over Waterford to show my parents yesterday and they couldn't believe how well it was represented apart from the 2 bridges in the city. I showed them their estate and where their house is. Now my dad is pushing me to build the pc for him a lot faster than originally planned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The chimneys in Dublin... there was only one of them!

Flying over Waterford to show my parents yesterday and they couldn't believe how well it was represented apart from the 2 bridges in the city. I showed them their estate and where their house is. Now my dad is pushing me to build the pc for him a lot faster than originally planned :)

Love this :)

Hold on for the new GPUs out next month. My poor 5700XT is pegged at 100% utilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hold on for the new GPUs out next month. My poor 5700XT is pegged at 100% utilisation.

This is great info, I am holding out until I can get a handle on what exactly this needs to run properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'm on 1440p ultra I'm hitting 80% ish usage and only 25 - 50fps on my 2070super. Pretty much was using the slowest plane and flying low.

Will probably lower it down to high.

When I went to take off from Donegal I got a major frame drop.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I'm on 1440p ultra I'm hitting 80% ish usage and only 25 - 50fps on my 2070super. Pretty much was using the slowest plane and flying low.

Will probably lower it down to high.

When I went to take off from Donegal I got a major frame drop.

Thats because you went back to the 1980s :pac:

I was greeted with "Please Insert Microsfoft Flight Simulator Game disc" today even though I'm on the Xbox Game Pass version!

Grrr.

I'd say changing my region to Kirabati Monday has backfired on me!

Tried a few things suggested online but failed to get it to run, looks like I'll be doing a full uninstall and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

When I land, ATC will give me directions to a gate but i haven't a clue how to get there. Is there any way of highlighting the gate as a waypoint?

Currently i'm handing controls over to the co-pilot once i peel off the runway and he/she brings me the rest of the way.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I was greeted with "Please Insert Microsfoft Flight Simulator Game disc" today even though I'm on the Xbox Game Pass version!

Grrr.

I'd say changing my region to Kirabati Monday has backfired on me!

Tried a few things suggested online but failed to get it to run, looks like I'll be doing a full uninstall and reinstall.

Looks like Microsoft has clamped down on this and the only solution is you need to sign up to Game Pass with a separate account and pay another euro.

It seems to lock to the sim to the region your first installed with.

523501.png

Advertisement