Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Wife taken the kids out for a walk this morning. Have the phone to hand for the expected emergency call when the rain comes from no where!
    DvB wrote: »
    Just copped whilst putting up the weekly countdown that we're less than 4 weeks from double digits on the daily count... how'd that happen? Wow.

Double digits firmly in sight. One of the few positive from this year is the warp speed it is going at!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Coming this Christmas white chocolate terrys chocolate orange.

https://twitter.com/christmas_uk/status/1296884293143232512?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

whams Last Christmas is the ultimate Xmas song

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

PTH2009 wrote: »

And now you can enjoy the music video in 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

Loughc wrote: »
    And now you can enjoy the music video in 4K.

I can't help but think there is just some kind of terribly cruel irony that the person that wrote one of the greatest Christmas songs, died himself on Christmas day. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,980 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can't help but think there is just some kind of terribly cruel irony that the person that wrote one of the greatest Christmas songs, died himself on Christmas day. :(

Dean Martin and Charlie Chaplan died Xmas day too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

PTH2009 wrote: »

Would have to go with the original Band Aid, Do They Know It's Christmas song myself but Last Christmas is right up there.
    It's the best Christmas song video ever though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was in the M50 Christmas Shop a few days ago and had a look around. The owner came over and asked us what we were looking for and we told him sets of lights for outside and a set for the tree, according to the wife if you can't see the tree from space it's not bright enough.
    If you are thinking of going just hold off for a couple of weeks because they are moving the shop around so they can make it a one way system with Covid and also he said he is getting a heap of new stock in then including tons of new sets of lights so we will be calling back.
    I would say they are expecting people to start coming to the shop in September in some kind of numbers so they want to be ready by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back from the weekly grocery shop in dunnes and can confirm that the tubs of QS/roses/heroes are still not out. I'm convinced they're late this year and that they were out by now last year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just back from the weekly grocery shop in dunnes and can confirm that the tubs of QS/roses/heroes are still not out. I'm convinced they're late this year and that they were out by now last year.

Yes at this stage they’re late. But that’s prob a good thing....

..... for my waist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They were because I got them in Cork when I went to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop.
    Somebody posted over in Bargain Alerts that the Celebrations were in Aldi.

Yes at this stage they’re late. But that’s prob a good thing....

..... for my waist.

You and me both my friend. Totally off the cart this weekend as at my nephews confirmation yesterday and ate and drank my way through the day... but I'd probably still give in to temptation if the QS tubs were there today.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaulT21

They were because I got them in Cork when I went to the Brown Thomas Christmas shop.
    Somebody posted over in Bargain Alerts that the Celebrations were in Aldi.

With thanks to rubber dungeon on the bargains thread:D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=523864&d=1598098978

It is now less than 100 days until the 1st of December!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I need to get my Advent Calendar ready!

And even less until the adverts (nov.1st) and Christmas FM (late November).... giggidy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nickynoo

Aldi have their Christmas celebration tubs on display this morning :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

This whole covid thing has me on a rollercoaster, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to Christmas this year, having early nights in with the family watching movies and having my candles lit and it being all snug. Havent been on the forum for a while as all I think I could of contributed was doom and gloom and a christmas forum is not the place for that. Good to be back now and looking forward to reading all the comments and contributing more. Hope all are keep safe and well!

To try and put a positive spin on COVID-19, look at it as an opportunity to try new things for Christmas and create new traditions.

So often at Christmas we do the same thing every year just because...

So who knows by changing things up this year we might kick start a new tradition for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

This whole covid thing has me on a rollercoaster, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to Christmas this year, having early nights in with the family watching movies and having my candles lit and it being all snug. Havent been on the forum for a while as all I think I could of contributed was doom and gloom and a christmas forum is not the place for that. Good to be back now and looking forward to reading all the comments and contributing more. Hope all are keep safe and well!

Yep, I can't wait. I bought an Autumn scented Yankee candle last month, and it's getting me into the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I passed a store yesterday that had cube like yankee brand candles with a square metal lid. No Christmas scents but a sign of things to come.

To try and put a positive spin on COVID-19, look at it as an opportunity to try new things for Christmas and create new traditions.

So who knows by changing things up this year we might kick start a new tradition for years to come.

Absolutely.
    We were chatting about this on Friday at my nephews confirmation dinner and I came away from it thinking I'm actually looking forward to having to break from the ordinary (which as great as it is, is a lazy, predictable way to celebrate every year) & we're planning on doing some things differently. I also decided I'm going overboard on the external decor this year. We've been adding to it year on year anyway (indoors we have maxed out to the extent we have no more room for all the decorations we have) but will step it up this year as we could do with some additional cheer!

So rather than fear/dread change, lets embrace it this year & make it a christmas we can look back on as one we did something different!!

There's may be some tough issues like older folks unable to have visitors, like my folks. If I came home at Christmas I couldn't see them anyway with the current restrictions. However all in all I think everyone will pull together and it will be a great Christmas, different but great.

Your 100% right, I think for many who have been in a slump covid has actually kick started people into doing things they have always wanted but put off, I think as your said the same can apply for Christmas, personally I am gonna try and be more social, hopefully have a good auld christmas house party well along as we allowed that is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Love the dedication to sweets in here :)

As have said before more of a biscuit man myself which isn’t great for the waist line either!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

John Lewis in the UK are opening their Christmas shop online 10 days earlier than last year (is open now).

Online searches on their website for mince pies are up 110%!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/24/john-lewis-steals-a-march-by-opening-christmas-shop-early

John Lewis in the UK are opening their Christmas shop online 10 days earlier than last year (is open now).

Online searches on their website for mince pies are up 110%!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/24/john-lewis-steals-a-march-by-opening-christmas-shop-early

I can't remember the full stats but they sell MILLIONS of mince pies each year before November. I don't see the appeal myself but there is absolutely a market for it.

Now Yule logs on the other hand... that's a movement I can get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I love mince pies, but I purposely only eat them over the 1/2 weeks I have for Christmas holidays.

Never liked mince pies until recently, could be getting old or it could be the I only eat the gluten free ones (woe is me) and that they only got good in the past few years. A Yule log to me is a log with a candle in it or a log to be burned. Never had a cake yule log at Christmas.

• Advertisement

love christmas but have never been a fan of its traditional food and drink

Egg Nog: nope
    Mince Pies: nope
    Christmas Cake: nope
    Christmas Pudding: nope
    Mulled Wine: nope
    Sprouts: nope

On the other hand :-)

Tins of sweets: Yup
    Selection Box: Yup