Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League

• 23-08-2020 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭

Made by Rocksteady (Batman Arkham) Releasing 2022 so a bit off yet and no idea what to make of it from this trailer. Looks funny anyway.

Continuing on the Arkham verse, this is a 1-4 player game. Even as single player, you will play with the 4 player squad and can switch between characters on the fly. Or co-op it and have 3 friends join in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

2022 .... Jesus! Seems like a long way away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Looks infinitely better than the Avengers sh*tshow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Your man Sefton Hill described the game as a mix of using powers and gun play, FWIW. So very un-Arkham like by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Harley Quinn looks a lot like Margot Robbie to the point where I thought it was licenced at first. Whereas Deadshot looks like they took 10 minutes to decide on what he looks like. Plus if its a continuation of the Arkhamverse Deadshot has also managed to change race.

c10f56bf4c9849b3a707d2f6d8f375fd.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I actually really liked the humour/banter/comradery between the gang, dont think i saw one bit of cringe. So thats a nice change from most AAA trailers these days... But.... gameplay wise i cant see it being anything other than an auto lock on button mash like the new Avengers :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An evil superman, how original. It's at a point now where, Homelander or Brightburn included, the majority representation of Superman in mass media is of an evil version. Even when he appears in cameos during Supergirl more often than not he becomes evil and Kara must fight him. While Man of Steel had him nurse Zod while lamenting how hard it is to be god.

I get supes is nearly too powerful for good drama, but it just feels lazy that the first response is to always make him the bad guy. Same with video games, can't be impossible to make a power fantasy superman game (no mentions of superman 64 please lol) about a decent, aspirational superhero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That was the thing with Superman, he was always too powerful for me. He's basically invincible and has a crazy array of powers, so there's little to no drama usually. Unlike Batman, where he himself even gets killed at different points and stories/dimensions, Supes is either good or evil with no inbetween.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I will give Rocksteady their dues, they created the first (for me) established superhero game where you actually felt like the superhero. I loved the trio of Arkham games, but I was never a big fan of controlling multiple characters. Even the crossover missions in GTA V where you can pick which one to be, or the missions in Arkham City where you could switch, I didn't like them. The idea of having 4 at a time just seems bothersome. I'll keep an eye on it, it's ages away, but the best thing about the Arkham games was the single player "I'm Batman!" feel.

Thankfully Sony are still intent on the single player experience. Any time I see co-op these days, I hear customisation MTX.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's just shoddy writing. The WB superman cartoon from the 90s was excellent

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It was no Batman: The Animated Series. Which is still the best Superhero cartoon series ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Every comic cartoon from the 90's was excellent. Goddamn kids today will never know.

As for supes, gimme evil version all day every day. The goody two shoes is so boring.

As Batman once said to him "you f*cking nerd... with your nerd hair"

It's like pro-wrestling, nobody wants the super powerful clean cut good guy anymore. They want the brooding badass.

Batman is cool but Supes will always be number 1 even if he's OP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's still possible. Just strikes as a lazy way to work in some drama cos the writers can't use their imagination to make Supes a good guy. Oooh he has gone bad. Again. it just Worfs the character (one for the Trek nerds). Especially in a medium built off of giving folks a sense of power fantasy. Playing as superman you'd think would be a slam dunk. And he's not invincible, IIRC he's vulnerable to magic so there's lots of in canon ways to lessen his power.

But yeah, brooding is in and everyone wants to be the moody lone wolf Batman. Escapism is wallowing now apparently

Surely the premise for this game isn't that Superman has gone bad... it's that the entire Justice League are under the control of Brainiac? They're just using Superman in the teaser as obviously he'll be the toughest (on paper) to take down.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Surely the premise for this game isn't that Superman has gone bad... it's that the entire Justice League are under the control of Brainiac? They're just using Superman in the teaser as obviously he'll be the toughest (on paper) to take down.

Well that's true. I doubt they'll actually kill the JL itself, I guess when seeing the trailer my eyeroll reminded how tired the Superman Goes Bad trope had become. Especially post The Boys and Homelander

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well that's true. I doubt they'll actually kill the JL itself, I guess when seeing the trailer my eyeroll reminded how tired the Superman Goes Bad trope had become. Especially post The Boys and Homelander

Sure, I get that. Maybe WB didn't want "evil" Flash, Bats, Wonder Woman or Aquaman up front as they're still involved in active movie franchises! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mention of multiplayer killed my hype for this and the other game. I just assume anything with more than 1 player is a Destiny clone these days.

Confirmation that they'll be showing something at DC FanDome next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,205 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm still concerned about the multiplayer aspect of this, same with Gotham Knights. The boss fights have huge potential, but if they're designed around 4 players, and 4 characters with different playstyles, are they just going to be pure bulletsponges?

I'd have more faith in this being from Rocksteady than Gotham Knights though, but would like to see some details on gameplay.

That gameplay did nothing for me :(

Yeah, I'm still on the fence with this one.

Doesn't look like it has focus, if that makes sense. Just seems a bit too all over the place. I think focusing on 4-player is what is happening, and as a result the SP won't be good imo. Will wait and see, Rocksteady have a good record, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe it was all the purple goo enemies, but that trailer reminded me of Sunset Overdrive.

Hope the single player works okay.

Reportedly delayed to 2023. Not unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Give gamers time to forget about elden ring 😂😂.

Kinda feel sorry for new games, look at horizon its already pretty much forgotten about and it's out a month

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You'd really hope Rocksteady have something more up their sleeves than what they've shown so far because the game looks like a whole pile of nothing so far alas. Maybe the extra year is what's needed.

Two announcements from the Game Awards. First, the release date is now May 26th. Second, Kevin Conroy is voicing Batman for one last time.

Screenshot posted on 4chan/Reddit of main menu seems to confirm the game is a live service/game-as-a-service.

Various types of currency, different loadouts, battlepass, levelling-up, store etc.

sigh....

I have faith in Rocksteady, but zero faith in WB or GaaS-models, so I doubt this will land well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

WB really manage to escape the ire of people on the internet but they are far and away the worst company for ruining games with corporate greed. Up there with Take 2.

The balls they made of the Shadow of Mordor sequel was just depressing, all to grab a big slice of the lootbox pie. Injustice 2 and MK11 didn't feel too bad, but you could see they were pushing mtx's as far as they felt they could.

I'm guessing they might have pared back some of the GaaS stuff from Gotham Knights and are backing Suicide Squad to have the better chance to make the Bat-bucks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I hope I'm proven wrong but a lot of this project just comes across as a bit of a hot mess, even conceptually.

• Advertisement

After i just recently read leaked info that it started as GaaS but that has since been removed to favour a single player game.

So either that pic is from an old build or three previous leak was fake. Either way, WB sucks balls.

After watching the State of Play, I think it's safe to safe I won't be rushing out to buy this game. seems to be built around co-op.

Though it does remind me more of Sunset Overdrive than the Arkham games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Underwhelming to say the least.

Well that's definitely off my list, no interest in that kind of game, dammit.

I'm sure it'll be grand quality-wise but yeah, I don't think this one is for me.

• Advertisement

Is there an official term for this stuff?

If not, I'm christening it Number Vomit. Sick of stuff like that in games.

Good commentary from Schreier, game looks like it was built as games as a service as this was popular 5 years ago. Unfortunately not really now. Sure weren't Ubisoft doing the same thing and ended up cancelling some of the games. This look like a mashup of Crackdown and Saints Row using DC characters .

It really does look like everything wrong with modern blockbuster game design in one bland, bloated live service mess.

Trying to shove RPG lite progression and terrible tiered loot into every bloody AAA game is infuriating. Just let the mechanics speak for themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,636 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Looks pretty bad - bad as in painfully average and derivative - and the fallout coming from the connected service, MP/Bot dependency, battle pass guff is just another potential nail in its coffin. As the buzz words kept coming, you can just hear the echoes of all the controversial "service-model" attempts that have been attempted over the last few years - so it's no surprise that a lot of people are having the same reaction. Visually looks extremely uninteresting as well. They're gonna have to spin this one, as it's difficult to believe that after an 8 year gap from AK, that this is the going to be the end result - rather it could potentially be the final score of a stalemate in what game the team wanted to produce after a number of false starts.

Don't wanna play another open-world 'shooter' which seems to be the genre being pushed here (or at least some overly co-operative dependent version of one), and while I'm sure it'll have that sheen and probably be perfectly serviceable to a lot of players, on a glimpse it's proper 6/10 territory for my interest. Looking at the gameplay, after the feature video, had me nodding off TBH.

A story-driven SP game, albeit one with the problem of how to limit an over-powered Superman in a similar vein to the Arkham-series set in a gigantic Metropolis doesn't sound so bad now, does it ?

Yeah, once they started talking about "gear" it was another thing that made me less interested.

I'll be honest, some of the gameplay looks like it'll be fun to play. The movement, the verticality, the gunplay. Some of it looks fun.

But they've somehow made it even more generic than I feared it would be. Initial trailers seemed to suggest the different characters would be different to play as. King Shark as tank, Harley for speed, Deadshot for ranged, Captain Boomerang maybe a mix of all. Now we have Harley Quinn floating in the air with a gatling gun, Captain Boomerang shooting enemies with extremely non-boomerang guns, and King Shark just swimming through the air. It's clear the base gunplay will be the exact same for all characters, with some special moves unique to the character but will all fundamentally be the same just with different animations. Even more likely considering they've said there'll be more playable characters released post-launch, so it'll definitely be a one-size-fits-all system.

The gear system is very Borderlands, with different weapon manufacturers and just numbers, numbers, numbers. Enemies and mission types that we've seen are extremely generic and all seem to boil down to "shoot the thing(s)". And their talk of gear sets like if you collect Bane's gear then you'll have a special perk.... it's just green smoke that damages enemies. So lazy.

The gameplay itself might be fun to actually play, but goddamn this game looks like it'll be a dud overall. From Arkham Asylum to Anthem Asylum....

Bungie and Gearbox need to pay for what they've done to modern games.

Also, regarding the new playable characters:

WILL SUICIDE SQUAD: KILL THE JUSTICE LEAGUE HAVE NEW CONTENT AVAILABLE POST-LAUNCH?

Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League will have post-launch content updates to expand the story with new missions and earnable characters, available at no cost.

"earnable" characters.... 🙄

TBH I even think the Suicide Squad branding itself is a massive obstacle for them to overcome. It's nowhere near as easy a sell as a Batman or Spider-Man game would be. Hell, an Avengers game was flop when it turned out to be a live service 'looter shooter' type deal. I'd be fascinated to hear the story of what has gone on at Rocksteady over the last decade to end up here. As Jason Schreier has noted there was another game being made until it was cancelled - Superman, presumably.

It also means when it comes to further playable characters, they pretty much all have to be not only from the Suicide Squad, but also mostly gun-based. Sure, you could put say Rick Flag in a Green Lantern cosmetic outfit, but you'll still be playing as Rick Flag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement