Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tide better tonight at Tramore

50249196831_377b79b963.jpg

50249196856_b805d9138f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still 138 separate esb faults in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

looksee wrote: »
    Very strong wind just got up in north Waterford - I didn't realise we were in for a second installment, it seems stronger than last night if anything.

Here in the city it’s picked up more then last night with the added heavier rain too. Windy most of the day too, can’t remember the last time we had wind all day long. Nice listening to the wind of an evening but hopefully nobody is hurt and all is well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Any wind tonight lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Any wind tonight lads?

Yep worse than last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭highdef

Any wind tonight lads?

Yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any wind tonight lads?

Fairly strong down here and a good bit of rain as that band passed. Not the types of gusts we got last night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nasty night,wind and heavy rain. 9pm

Sherkin Island gusting 44 knots
    Moore park gusting 40 knots
    Roaches point gusting 39 knots
    Cork airport gusting 38 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wind has notably increased here in South Laois - Durrow area. We've hills either side of the Nore Valley around these parts and those southerly gusts are really funneling though here over the last twenty minutes. Gusting 39mph. Would not be surprised to see last nights 51mph gust from Ellen beaten.

Live Graph:

wind.png

Still 138 separate esb faults in Cork

I just passed an ESB crew working on faults, looks like they'll be there all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Cw85 wrote: »
    A house on our road just had a big bouncing castle put up am hour ago, surely not the best time to put that up given the warnings for tonight?

I hope they’re well insured :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Getting fairly windy here in Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭appledrop

It definitely seems worse tonight in Dublin, very windy + lashing rain since early evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild out here; it has never paused and of course we are cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

its a crazy night in Dublin strong winds and driving rain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Yes but politics has a way of exposing all of one's faults so for that reason alone I would prefer any other occupation, or even better, no occupation beyond the research I am doing, as an otherwise retired person.

Anyway, the people suggesting me for high office would bring the same attributes plus actual eligibility as residents and (I presume) citizens, so right back at ya, guys.

Best the likes of me stay out of office because not only would I not care less about having my all my faults exposed, but I would actively act upon them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks for the Table Sryanbruen. It's interesting to compare some of the past August storms with Ellen, particularly ex hurricane Charley. Also interesting to note that Storm Uli back in 2012 had a gust that surpassed both Ophelia and Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Scrabbel wrote: »
    Thanks, what a great table.

That 10 minute average of 111 kmh for Roches Point would look like hurricane-force , is that right? Or does a hurricane have to meet both a 1-minute and 10-minute target?

The NHC would call it CAT 1, going by the 1-minute mean, which is normally around 10% higher than the standard 10-minute mean (so they would call that around 66 knots (122 kph)). Using the Beaufort scale, it didn't quite get to Force 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking at Cork Beo on Facebook, seems bad enough.

It wasn’t really. No business flooded and a lot worse was feared until the winds changed direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I can't hear the telly with the rain on the windows here in South Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭appledrop

Nasty night,wind and heavy rain. 9pm

Sherkin Island gusting 44 knots
    Moore park gusting 40 knots
    Roaches point gusting 39 knots
    Cork airport gusting 38 knots

Dublin not far behind. Its a wild night out there.

appledrop wrote: »
    Dublin not far behind. Its a wild night out there.

Recent gust of 35 knots at Dublin airport @1030pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Recent gust of 35 knots at Dublin airport @1030pm

Just gusted 55 knots in Dun Laoghaire harbour. That’s stronger than anything last night.

SeaFields wrote: »
    I can't hear the telly with the rain on the windows here in South Kerry.
    I can't hear the telly because it was killed by a power surge when the electrc was restored, along with some other home electrics. :(

Mav11 wrote: »
    Just gusted 55 knots in Dun Laoghaire harbour. That’s stronger than anything last night.

all covered here

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Very strong winds (south to southeast veering southwest tonight) with severe and damaging gusts will result in further disruption. Some coastal flooding will occur also.
    Valid: 17:00 Thursday 20/08/2020 to 05:00 Friday 21/08/2020
    Issued: 17:09 Thursday 20/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

Seems as bad here in East Clare than last night...definitely more sustained wind.

all covered here

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Very strong winds (south to southeast veering southwest tonight) with severe and damaging gusts will result in further disruption. Some coastal flooding will occur also.
    Valid: 17:00 Thursday 20/08/2020 to 05:00 Friday 21/08/2020
    Issued: 17:09 Thursday 20/08/2020

Should be going orange with 55 knot gusts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Should be going orange with 55 knot gusts?

No, 55 kt=102 kph

Yellow = 90-110 kph

No, 55 kt=102 kph

Yellow = 90-110 kph

Getting close though:)

• Advertisement

Getting close though:)

Its a rough night for sure. torrential rain in places, strong winds, lots of lightning about

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement