Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭fits

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Carlow and Kilkenny

Very strong southerly winds with some damaging gusts will result in disruption in places.

Valid: 22:00 Thursday 20/08/2020 to 23:59 Thursday 20/08/2020

Issued: 17:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

I hope it’s not as bad as last night. We were very lucky not to have severe damage with that tree falling beside our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

Brilliant work as usual Syran. I always take a screengrab of your table and save it, interesting to see previous storm stats when a new one approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Had a tree down in our garden, had to get Co council out to move it.
    I'll split it and season it for next winter.

Still no power sincé 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Drove around to multiple beaches in the West cork coast, 17 mins left till high tide at that point and they are all breaking their boundaries, going into the sandunes etc. Huge waves, mad. Class to see though.

Drove around to multiple beaches in the West cork coast, 17 mins left till high tide at that point and they are all breaking their boundaries, going into the sandunes etc. Huge waves, mad. Class to see though.

I'd love to be down there now, river is extremely high tonight in the city,flooding likely I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd love to be down there now, river is extremely high tonight in the city,flooding likely I'd say.

Flooding not too bad just a bit of surface water. A change in wind direction saved it from being much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

east coast look to be in for a battering tonight. hope it doesn't fly under the radar for people there.

power back east cork - thank you esb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Finally back online with the power up, spent the morning trying to get a tarpaulin over my roof due to damage and no roofers able to work in the high winds we still have in Cork. Then spent the afternoon with them clearing trees from around the local area. I can honestly say it was great fun with a chainsaw just a shame about the reason.

Some really lovely people out there, local farmers helping with clearing trees and then using their loaders to get the tarp on the roof. Also lending me 4 1 tonne bags of sand to tie the tarp down as still a bit rough. Also came back to PM's wishing me luck and even the offer of some financial help which was a pleasant surprise but not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭mcburns07

A family friend is working out on the Kinsale gas platform. Twas a wild night out there by all accounts!

• Advertisement

still a bloody massive storm.

523664.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The Claremorris 78 kt (144 kph) gust on 11 August 1999 is an error and it's puzzling why Met Eireann continue to regard it as otherwise.

That's strange. There was a Total solar eclipse that day in Cornwall, and 96% total here, which we didn't see of course due to clouds. But I don't recall the day being windy at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Scrabbel

Thanks, what a great table.

That 10 minute average of 111 kmh for Roches Point would look like hurricane-force , is that right? Or does a hurricane have to meet both a 1-minute and 10-minute target?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

That's strange. There was a Total solar eclipse that day in Cornwall, and 96% total here, which we didn't see of course due to clouds. But I don't recall the day being windy at all.

What? Solar eclipse in 1999 was fully visible.

It wasn't down here! Dreary overcast and misty day. Barely noticed the darkening.

Scrabbel wrote: »
    Thanks, what a great table.

That 10 minute average of 111 kmh for Roches Point would look like hurricane-force , is that right? Or does a hurricane have to meet both a 1-minute and 10-minute target?

I'd love to know this, but I think the winds were comparable to Cat 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

If you were in Turkey maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

A house on our road just had a big bouncing castle put up am hour ago, surely not the best time to put that up given the warnings for tonight?

Cw85 wrote: »
    A house on our road just had a big bouncing castle put up am hour ago, surely not the best time to put that up given the warnings for tonight?

lol wtf is wrong with people

• Advertisement

Flooding not too bad just a bit of surface water. A change in wind direction saved it from being much worse.

Looking at Cork Beo on Facebook, seems bad enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Lived in Dublin then, I recall the odd glimpse as it started but it was cloudy generally. The gloom as the nearly
    full eclipse took hold was eerie though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Oh Jesus, if Cork Beo said it, it's definitely bad.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, if Cork Beo said it, it's definitely bad.

Lol,in fairness I presume the footage is authentic.

Nah, just the usual low lying areas getting a good wash. It's no 2009.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

HARMONIE did well last night, lets see how well it handles tonight.

SE, E getting clipped by strong winds later. SW early tomorrow morning. Kerry coast quite strong for a time early tomorrow morning. Windy showery day across the country tomorrow.

Models fairly bunched on wind predictions.

0rCmtcp.gif

hDETAEA.png

Lqy2BA8.gif

anim_rqv5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

We had it pinned down to within an inch of its life but Ellen had other ideas.

[IMG]://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=523675&stc=1&d=1597953908[/img][IMG][/img]

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Very strong wind just got up in north Waterford - I didn't realise we were in for a second installment, it seems stronger than last night if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

After a very windy night and mostly wet morning it turned out a decent enough day here apart from a torrential shower an hour ago that lasted barely a minute.
    No roads blocked with trees or power outages locally this morning. S Cavan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement