Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Loughc wrote: »
    Weren’t they double the weight too?

I remember when I worked it out per kg it was a lot more expensive from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I do love tins and have kept many that came with different products, not just chocolate but also beer, beauty products...
    Use them even to keep tea bags.
    One of my faves has the shape of a carriage clock and came with After Eights.

I like the idea of buying nice tins and filling them up with chocolates or biscuits as gifts.
    Last year, Flying Tiger had lovely (and cheap) tins, I bought one for myself with a robin. Hopefully they will stock them again this Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Regular reader here but don't post often. I love the idea of the Christmas file to add too every year. It's a great tradition to have.

Like most I keep my Christmas decorations in the attic. One year I stupidly only bought 3 bags of sprouts which I and the 5 adults I have dinner with also love. I don't know what I was thinking. So I put a note in the Christmas decorations box reminding me for the following year. I've never made the same mistake since!! I also have a note in one of the boxes telling me not to put Christmas candles in the attic. The really hot summer about 2 years ago, they all melted with the heat in the attic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Regular reader here but don't post often. I love the idea of the Christmas file to add too every year. It's a great tradition to have.

Like most I keep my Christmas decorations in the attic. One year I stupidly only bought 3 bags of sprouts which I and the 5 adults I have dinner with also love. I don't know what I was thinking. So I put a note in the Christmas decorations box reminding me for the following year. I've never made the same mistake since!! I also have a note in one of the boxes telling me not to put Christmas candles in the attic. The really hot summer about 2 years ago, they all melted with the heat in the attic.

Putting a note in with the Christmas decorations is genius!

I’ve started taking videos and saving to my phone to remind me if things like how to hang up my lights in the window. I’d be screwed if anything happens to my phone tho.

Putting a note in with the Christmas decorations is genius!

I’ve started taking videos and saving to my phone to remind me if things like how to hang up my lights in the window. I’d be screwed if anything happens to my phone tho.

You could email the video to yourself as a back up, possibly putting it in a designated folder, or upload it to the Google photos app, and maybe even set up an album specifically for it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I'm looking forward to the Autumn weather. The last third of the year is always my favourite.

Getting that bit darker earlier every evening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Getting that bit darker earlier every evening

I’ve noticed that a lot this week. From 9pm it’s getting dark inside.

Sister Freshpopcornwent working abroad this week. So,she probably won't be home for Christmas with all this Covid thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ah no; is it the first time she's gone abroad to work?

Posy wrote: »
    Ah no; is it the first time she's gone abroad to work?

First time, she had it organised before everything went belly up and just stuck with in the end.

• Advertisement

Sister Freshpopcornwent working abroad this week. So,she probably won't be home for Christmas with all this Covid thing.
    Is she going to a EU Country ?
    It is very likely that borders will remain open and therefore people will be able to travel including home for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

TRS30 wrote: »
    Is that local in the middle east? I take that if book fast then no bargins to be had in case you did have to cancel. Is travel insurance any use?

It's local-ish for us, 4 hour flight. Travel insurance will not cover fully if it gets canceled as its now a known event, also we canceld our April trip and were given 12 months to use the hotel stay however we still can't get to that destination due to C19.

I love halloween also, projector oustide the house, dress up for the trick or treaters. I think it could be part of the scariness of Halloween for kids, going door to door, will they get the virus!, increase the tension!! In all seriousness I can't see it happening. I live in a gated community, and on a cul de sac, so the streets are full of kids dressed up going door to door. I think it will be gone now.

I will leave a bowl of sealed jellies, haribo or something, should any kid brave it.

Also, bounty is my favorite of that brand, I'm a QS man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I was flicking through Netflix last night trying to find something to watch that I was in the mood for and Klaus came up so I thought what the hell, I've heard good things about this.

Ah guys if you haven't already seen it, I urge you to. I thought it was brilliant, for a man in his late forties I either sat there with a lump in my throat at the sad bits or with a big stupid smile on his face at the funny/christmassy bits.
    It was a real treat and will be watched again in a few months time.

Couldn't agree more with you. After the dire Very Murray Christmas and weak ass Christmas Chronicles Netflix has made a mockery of Christmas. However Klaus is a gem.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with you. After the dire Very Murray Christmas and weak ass Christmas Chronicles Netflix has made a mockery of Christmas. However Klaus is a gem.

Yeah I thought the Christmas Chronicles was poor enough when I saw it, I think they were talking of making a second one? :confused:
    Have never seen Very Murray Christmas so will avoid, in fairness a lot of Christmas based films are turkeys :)

I think you should watch a Very Murray Christmas just to see how bad the cameo is from George Clooney, it could be a classic in the way 'The Room' has.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I think you should watch a Very Murray Christmas just to see how bad the cameo is from George Clooney, it could be a classic in the way 'The Room' has.

Ha ha, not sure the sadist in me is that strong.
    Might look up a few reviews of it first, you've actually made me curious to see just how bad the film is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Its a nice dark day today, love when this starts to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I was flicking through Netflix last night trying to find something to watch that I was in the mood for and Klaus came up so I thought what the hell, I've heard good things about this.

Ah guys if you haven't already seen it, I urge you to. I thought it was brilliant, for a man in his late forties I either sat there with a lump in my throat at the sad bits or with a big stupid smile on his face at the funny/christmassy bits.

I watched Klaus this morning after reading your post. How have I never heard of this before, it was excellent, a real gem.

Definitely one to be added to the yearly list! Thanks.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    Is she going to a EU Country ?
    It is very likely that borders will remain open and therefore people will be able to travel including home for Christmas.

Not an EU country but it's hard to know how things will be for Christmas.

Not an EU country but it's hard to know how things will be for Christmas.
    I am an expat too, so know how hard it is to be away from loved ones.
    We are all hoping that things would have greatly improved in the World by the time Christmas comes.

otnomart wrote: »
    I am an expat too, so know how hard it is to be away from loved ones.
    We are all hoping that things would have greatly improved in the World by the time Christmas comes.

Ya, to be honest we've no idea how it's going to be in December.

I'm currently looking at the calendar and I'm trying to plan dates for tidying, painting, etc for November so Christmas can be full steam ahead in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Back to the grind in the morning after a fantastic week off, looking forward to a few new posts in here to kick start the week.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭angel_wings

I settled into bed with my chocolate to watch Klaus after reading your post today...… but I cant seem to find it on Netflix :(

I settled into bed with my chocolate to watch Klaus after reading your post today...… but I cant seem to find it on Netflix :(

It’s there on mine. I just checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I watched it today too, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

It’s there on mine. I just checked.

Just saw it there on ours too.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Delighted more people have discovered Klaus, such a lovely, sweet film. :)

Also, add me to the underwhelmed by the Christmas Chronicles camp!

• Advertisement

BvQsqOJCcAAucRD?format=jpg&name=small

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement