Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Nice bunch of lads... :D

Just a guess, but could the masks have been covid 19 face masks? Sounds very sinister when you say "masks and dark clothing"... But I wore dark clothes and a mask today going to the shop! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

That woman’s name is a real tonsil twister. Deceptively 5-syllabled

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving to Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I saw the video. The lads in black are wearing jackets with tri-colours on them. Anyone know who they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Landlord claims he knew nothing until the residents told him so who authorised this?

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Landlord claims he knew nothing until the residents told him so who authorised this?
    Apparently the landlord wasn't paying the mortgage and it's actually the bank handling the eviction

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That woman’s name is a real tonsil twister. Deceptively 5-syllabled

The most stereotypical Current Affairs/IMHO comment I've ever seen.

Any compassion at all for someone in a really difficult situation? Nah, point out she has a funny foreign name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apparently the landlord wasn't paying the mortgage and it's actually the bank handling the eviction
    So the tenants were up to date with the rent and still got evicted? That's well out of bloody order. Then again banks are **** and tend towards repellent so not too much of a shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Wibbs wrote: »
    So the tenants were up to date with the rent and still got evicted? That's well out of bloody order. Then again banks are **** and tend towards repellent so not too much of a shock.

The landlord interviewed wasn’t really the landlord. The place was sold a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

So what actually went on? Does anybody know?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

eviltwin wrote: »

The landlord doesn't own the property any more because he didn't bother paying the mortgage so he isn't really 'the landlord'. The receiver is and that is apparently who secured the court order in this case.

KBC bank are the ones who ordered it according to the Community Action Tenants Union

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

KBC bank are the ones who ordered it according to the Community Action Tenants Union
    They don't have the best reputation when it comes to this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's very heavy handed agreed. However no goons are going to forcibly evict tenants unless they have a court order to do so - bailiffs, and presumably the Gardai had sight of that, otherwise they would have been arrested.

Something very fishy about this regarding who owns it and a lot of other things too etc.

:eek: :mad: That's well out of order. Though again not such a shock when banks are anything to do with such things.

the Irish Times article mentions that it has been sold "to an individual" on June 2 this year.

This "individual" obviously organised this.

Probably got it for a bargain price and wants this people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's very heavy handed agreed. However no goons are going to forcibly evict tenants unless they have a court order to do so - bailiffs, and presumably the Gardai had sight of that, otherwise they would have been arrested.

Something very fishy about this regarding who owns it and a lot of other things too etc.

Yeah few things not adding up on this. Seems a very complicated case. The random destruction makes no sense.

Not a nice situation for the tenants at all

Definitely fishy, story could have legs. Lots of stuff this could conveniently take off the front
    page; if one was cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would certainly be casting a skeptical eye on that landlord. If the tenants believed that he was the landlord and were paying him rent even though he knew the property had been sold on - or was in dispute - then that says quite a bit about him.

The Irish Times pops up a few articles about property disputes involving a "Gerry Ward" where he apparently just refuses to accept repossession of his properties.

Chances are there were many, many eviction notices and warning served, but Mr. Ward chose not to alert his tenants.

No excuse really for hiring a crew to smash up the place, but the new owner was likely unaware that the residents didn't know about the dispute and instead from his perspective they were effectively squatters that were ignoring every request to vacate.

Edit: On further research, it would appear that Mr. Ward is one of these "Freeman of the Land" nutjobs, so it looks to me like he was renting the property to these poor people despite not even owning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

That looks really horrible. Generally I'm a bit skeptical of news stories regarding evictions, but it seems this was nasty treatment.

I can't imagine KBC could be involved in this. That previous nasty situation near the boarder would surely have scared them straight.

I'm just thinking of one of those annoying "cool" KBC ads modified with a bunch of republican fascist goons in black pushing over all the smug hipsters.

no way KBC have organised this

Goldman Sachs, through their fund vehicle sold the house - KBC or any other retail bank would not be buying a property like this directly.

boombang wrote: »
    That looks really horrible. Generally I'm a bit skeptical of news stories regarding evictions, but it seems this was nasty treatment.

I can't imagine KBC could be involved in this. That previous nasty situation near the boarder would surely have scared them straight.

I'm just thinking of one of those annoying "cool" KBC ads modified with a bunch of republican fascist goons in black pushing over all the smug hipsters.

Whoever it was had to have a legitimate court order in order to evict. Whether that was KBC or not, no one knows. Either way, the Gardai would have arrested them if they did not have an order from the courts. So I am unsure what to think.

The destruction of the property is appalling, but no one knows who did that.

The tenants could have been served the proper notice and may have refused to move out (it's very common everywhere), and hence the long process to eventually end up with a judge granting an order. Now surely that order as the last link in the chain of eviction would not have been granted if proper procedures had not been followed. The process can take between one to two years if lucky with that timeframe, IYSWIM.

It's very heavy handed, but we don't know the full story either from the tenant or the landlord/receiver side at all. So I'll keep my counsel for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd imagine there's a lot more to this than what we are hearing in the media.

Seems crazy to me that Gardaí are allowed to stand idly by and watch an eviction crew turf people out on the street and smash up the place. Maybe it was all above board legally, but then that's a very strange way for the law to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

CC: The most learned Senator Barry Ward (FG flunkie and knower of all things that are necessary)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I might have an opinion on this if I thought for one second that I was getting the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

seamus wrote: »
    Chances are there were many, many eviction notices and warning served, but Mr. Ward chose not to alert his tenants.

No excuse really for hiring a crew to smash up the place, but the new owner was likely unaware that the residents didn't know about the dispute and instead from his perspective they were effectively squatters that were ignoring every request to vacate.

Edit: On further research, it would appear that Mr. Ward is one of these "Freeman of the Land" nutjobs, so it looks to me like he was renting the property to these poor people despite not even owning it.

You are too kind. The new owner could have communicated directly with the tenants, as well as any communication to "Mr Ward". Of course perhaps he did and "Mr. Ward" was telling them to ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Wait, a landlord didnt pay his mortgage, say it ain't so?
    Nice of FF/,FG/Greens to lift the ban on evictions and rent hikes. Covid is over like....and didn't they over turn that ruling where anyone buying a mortgage must renegotiate the terms?

Now the tax payer will be on the hook for any evictions like this when the tenants need emergency accommodation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The place got smashed up for 1 simple reason becuase of mobs that have previously squated in and attempted to retain evicted/vacant properties. What's the closest credible source about this story? All I saw of it were nationalists and freemen.

• Advertisement

The place got smashed up for 1 simple reason becuase of mobs that have previously squated in and attempted to retain evicted/vacant properties. What's the closest credible source about this story? All I saw of it were nationalists and freemen.

We are definitely not hearing the full story. Anyway I'm keeping an open mind on it all until things become clearer.

If the tenants had been given proper notice, and then it had to come down to a court order, my spidey senses have me thinking they refused to move. But who knows anyway.

Pays not to be too taken in by MSM reports or tweets or SM on issues like this anyway.

Advertisement