Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine tenants evicted from north Dublin property by men in masks and dark clothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The courts dont just allow bailiffs to go in willy nilly. It takes YEARS to get to that point. This property has already been bought by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Lol right at the end "it's because we are black"

Race card 101 stuff that..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Lol right at the end "it's because we are black"

Race card 101 stuff that..

To be honest if I was getting kicked out on the street then maybe I would use the race card if available. Maybe it's stressful to be evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Gardai were notified by the company prior to the eviction it seems and only attended after a 999 call.

The Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace, so no one gets hurt.

Gardai are there to enforce the full remit of the law, not just a breach of the peace.

If those evicting are damaging property that isn’t theirs the Gardai need to step in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Strumms wrote: »
    Gardai are there to enforce the full remit of the law, not just a breach of the peace.

If those evicting are damaging property that isn’t theirs the Gardai need to step in.

There’s no evidence the Gardai were there while the alleged damage took place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Receivers bailiffs etc are the arsehole of society

Do they tell their families and friends if they have any what they do for a living?

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Do they tell their families and friends if they have any what they do for a living?

I doubt it
    I wouldnt do the job but how do you get people out of a property without them? We've an awful colonial hangover about this type of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Banks and legal system is way too soft and if one doesn't pay and continue to ignore then it should definitely be taken, not 3 or 10 years later....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I doubt it

It's a pity bailiffs don't have more powers and delinquent landlords aren't ****ed out sooner. Gob****es like this are one of the reasons we have one of the highest mortgage interest rates in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gatling wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if the crowd who broke back in did the damage to cause maximum outrage

You cannot say that! But for some it might be an obvious tactic.

We need to realise that the law is the law, and seriously there is no way the bailiffs would have been allowed to evict without a court order either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/tenant-an-innocent-victim-of-court-dispute-over-dublin-property-1.3319328
    Seems that " landlord " has form losing homes to the bank,but letting tenants stay on and pay him. .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Why are people assuming the eviction was illegal? The activists sought legal advice and ‘in their opinion’ it was illegal and they took possession of the property on the back of their opinion. No actual confirmation from anyone that the property owner didn’t have a court order requiring the residents to vacate.

The owners will be required to go to court again and request the judge to hold the occupants in contempt of court. This takes time.

A lot more to this story than the idle speculation of some it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The Gardai are there to prevent a breach of the peace, so no one gets hurt.

Unfortunately that wasnt the position that they took. From the video, the Gardai informed the tenants that “you have no right anymore to be here” and "I've told you already, it's not my responsibility if you're homeless".

https://twitter.com/D_C_H_A/status/1293827197845766144

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties said: “Video footage emerged this morning which showed gardaí inside a private dwelling as an allegedly illegal eviction was occurring, interacting with the tenants and informing them they ‘had no right’ to be there. It is reported that the tenants had not received proper notice of the eviction and that at least one of them is in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP). ICCL considers An Garda Síochána should not be playing a supportive role in private evictions unless it is a necessary and proportionate response to actual or threatened criminal behavior."

The tenants are back in the property. "Their cease and desist letter had no legal backing whatsoever" - Cllr. Anthony Flyn, CEO Inner City Helping Homeless.

Gatling wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised if the crowd who broke back in did the damage to cause maximum outrage

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Unfortunately that wasnt the position that they took. From the video, the Gardai informed the tenants that “you have no right anymore to be here” and "I've told you already, it's not my responsibility if you're homeless".

The Irish Council for Civil Liberties said: “Video footage emerged this morning which showed gardaí inside a private dwelling as an allegedly illegal eviction was occurring, interacting with the tenants and informing them they ‘had no right’ to be there. It is reported that the tenants had not received proper notice of the eviction and that at least one of them is in receipt of the Pandemic Unemployment Payment (PUP). ICCL considers An Garda Síochána should not be playing a supportive role in private evictions unless it is a necessary and proportionate response to actual or threatened criminal behavior."

The tenants are back in the property. "Their cease and desist letter had no legal backing whatsoever" - Cllr. Anthony Flyn, CEO Inner City Helping Homeless.

The Gardai issued a statement this evening:

An Garda Síochána said legal representatives for the owners of a premises on Berkley Road attended Mountjoy Garda Station to inform gardaí that they intended to secure their premises.

“Gardaí noted the proposed activity but did not attend the premises at the time. At approximately 11am a number of garda units attended the same address following a 999 emergency call. The number and type of units attending was based on the contents of the call and the majority were quickly stood down.

“Subsequently a number of garda personnel remained at the scene with the primary function to prevent breaches of the peace and ensure the safety of all persons involved.

“No injuries occurred and no damage was caused. An Garda Síochána liaised with local councillors at this incident and emergency accommodation was arranged for all affected persons.”

Gardai knew of the premises were going to be secured as advised by the legal representative of the owners. The Gardai didn't attend on the basis of the information supplied before the incident.

Gardai were called via 999 and most stood down some remained so no injuries would happen and noted no injuries or damage occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

An Garda Síochána said legal representatives for the owners of a premises on Berkley Road attended Mountjoy Garda Station to inform gardaí that they intended to secure their premises.

“Gardaí noted the proposed activity but did not attend the premises at the time. At approximately 11am a number of garda units attended the same address following a 999 emergency call. The number and type of units attending was based on the contents of the call and the majority were quickly stood down.

“Subsequently a number of garda personnel remained at the scene with the primary function to prevent breaches of the peace and ensure the safety of all persons involved.

“No injuries occurred and no damage was caused. An Garda Síochána liaised with local councillors at this incident and emergency accommodation was arranged for all affected persons.”

Gardai knew of the premises were going to be secured as advised by the legal representative of the owners. The Gardai didn't attend on the basis of the information supplied before the incident.

Gardai were called via 999 and most stood down some remained so no injuries would happen and noted no injuries or damage occurred.

So, it would appear that if legal eagles notified the gardai of a legal eviction, then all was in order. All this crap about illegal eviction, the gardai must have been satisfied that legal processes were aheared to. As for the end comment, "it is because we are black", I thought that was an old cry, was it not changed to "I cannot breath"!

If the gardai were aware it was a legal eviction, then that would be quite correct!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Where do the allegations of it being an illegal eviction come from?

So what is the problem here? It was obviously legal.

But the usual commentators will blame the Gardai and the Bailiffs.

What about the tenants and the LL?

Need to switch things a bit now and think it through.

Strumms wrote: »

I am sure you have evidence that the bailiffs damaged the property of course. I would think outside the box on this personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What responsibility do the gardai have to people becoming homeless - none what's so ever other than to direct the persons to their nearest local authorities who can then help .

• Advertisement

Ireland really has to move beyond the historical baggage of English landlord evictions in the 1800's and move towards a functioning property system.

The lack of/ difficulty of enforcement in this country is only adding to the cost of rent and of mortgages for law abiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So by all accounts, the owner was not a landlord. The "landlord" was a con artist taking the resident's money and pretending to own the property.

From the owner's point of view that makes the residents squatters, not tenants, and changes the nature of any notice that he might have to give. The fact that they have lived there across owners makes this complicated, but they are not tenants of the owner.

I do feel very sorry for the residents, the former owner should be charged for this. But that doesn't mean the owners did anything wrong in taking possession in this manner.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

seamus wrote: »
    So by all accounts, the owner was not a landlord. The "landlord" was a con artist taking the resident's money and pretending to own the property.

From the owner's point of view that makes the residents squatters, not tenants, and changes the nature of any notice that he might have to give. The fact that they have lived there across owners makes this complicated, but they are not tenants of the owner.

I do feel very sorry for the residents, the former owner should be charged for this. But that doesn't mean the owners did anything wrong in taking possession in this manner.

If that is all true then surely, the 'landlord' here is guilty of fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If that is all true then surely, the 'landlord' here is guilty of fraud.

He's a Freeman and this isn't the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

To be honest if I was getting kicked out on the street then maybe I would use the race card if available. Maybe it's stressful to be evicted.

People who play the race card are scum and do real damage to the massive strides blacks have made over the years. The boy who cried wolf never won any friends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

He's a Freeman and this isn't the first time.

I just hope the Gards were wearing their hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The guards didn't appear to be carrying out the eviction to me. They appeared to be telling the occupants about the legal status of the eviction. They could have stood outside and said nothing. Perhaps they did originally before intervening?

The racist charge against the guards is ridiculous in this instance. The eviction was deemed to be legal, they were there to prevent a breach of the peace. The occupants were obviously distressed but were misguided in thinking the guards would stop the baliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I just hope the Gards were wearing their hats.

And all documentation signed with wet ink.

All we need now is Mary lou and Co to start shouting how it is sooooo wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Can someone explain to me how the eviction notice being posted on facebook is supposed to work? Where does it get posted exactly? And how are tenants reasonably expected to see it?
    As for the end comment, "it is because we are black", I thought that was an old cry, was it not changed to "I cannot breath"!

****ing vile remark.

Advertisement