Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think Selby will beat Ronnie but it should be a great game either. Hope Wilson beats McGill in their match.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

petes wrote: »
    No, he didn't. Jaysus, were people watching the same call as me or just changing it to suit their own call.

He had the balls placed and the used another ball, then used anoth ball to see were both sides available.

After an adjustment, I presume and think was called, it was then called as a free ball, correct decision.

We'll all be on YouTube later watching the recording :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ronnie talking about golf a lot on Eurosport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Eurosport just interviewing Ronnie now. He’s of the opinion that he is playing terribly, can’t pot anything more than 3 foot and is putting in a bunker load of golfing analogy’s about his game.

He’s still the one to beat I think, but is possibly mote beatable this year than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

MacGill wins 13-10, I'd say Wilson will put him away easily enough

Wouldnt be so sure. A lot including me wrote him off after the clarke game which finished after midnight and then he had to return the next day to face maflin who had a couple of days off.

He won that session 7-1.

He has shown real guts in deciders in this tournament. The pot on the blue v lisoskwi. The snooker behind the browmn and the comeback v clarke when his opponent was taking the pi$$.

A strong matchplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

petes wrote: »
    No, he didn't. Jaysus, were people watching the same call as me or just changing it to suit their own call.

He had the balls placed and the used another ball, then used anoth ball to see were both sides available.

After an adjustment, I presume and think was called, it was then called as a free ball, correct decision.
    amens wrote: »
    We'll all be on YouTube later watching the recording :D

I remember it the way Petes said it, only got second red as guide later. Plus checked both ends of table.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Ronnie talking about golf a lot on Eurosport.

Did he tell Eurosport he loves a semi as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

zuutroy wrote: »
    He's always said his biggest regret is being dragged into playing Selby's game in 2014. I don't think he'll be naive enough to make that mistake again and I have half a feeling that he'll play like a man with a point to prove.

Yeah, that was the final where Selby won 10 frames in a row after being quite a bit behind. Couldn't understand who Ronnie let that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I reckon ronnie missed the blue on purpose cause he thought the ref made a mistake.
    Letting williams back in for a sporting chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Talking of gambling, telling people to lump on, ''inside info'' get on. WTF
    Is he planning on throwing it, surprised it's not an issue he said such things.

Did he tell Eurosport he loves a semi as well?

Rolls eyes to heaven

Wouldnt be so sure. A lot including me wrote him off after the clarke game which finished after midnight and then he had to return the next day to face maflin who had a couple of days off.

He won that session 7-1.

He has shown real guts in deciders in this tournament. The pot on the blue v lisoskwi. The snooker behind the browmn and the comeback v clarke when his opponent was taking the pi$$.

A strong matchplayer.

Would be gas if McGill wins it outright. Seems to have that Scotish matchplay thing that Dott has. Never say die.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I reckon ronnie missed the blue on purpose cause he thought the ref made a mistake.
    Letting williams back in for a sporting chance!

More likely his guilty conscience was troubling him and he couldn't concentrate properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

radiata wrote: »
    I hope Selby destroys O' Sullivan

He's going to eat him alive, skin and all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

More likely his guilty conscience was troubling him and he couldn't concentrate properly.

What guilty conscience? It was a free ball. The referee eventually said it was a free ball. A few posters here cannot disguise their hatred of Ronnie.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    He's going to eat him alive, skin and all.

Doubt it very much. I fancy Ronnie to beat 16-13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think wilson has a bit of class that McGills opponents up to now have lacked. Does have a bit of tactical matchplay nous about him, but wilson is a tough competitor too and is a previous s/finalist here and multiple ranking event winner. I've had plenty wrong so far this event, but I'll be really surprised if mcgill hasnt reached the end of his road here. Lisowski, Clarke and Maflin are good opponents for him, wilson not so much.

If Ronnie is at table Selby can't do anything, Ronnie will need to adapt his game a little, not so gung ho, play safe, don't give Selby all the easy access to the table he gave Williams, as Selby too will make Ronnie watch on for ages if he gets to table. Not sure Ronnie can help himself though, seems to give people chances to make it more difficult for himself, loves the challenge.

Talking of gambling, telling people to lump on, ''inside info'' get on. WTF
    Is he planning on throwing it, surprised it's not an issue he said such things.

He is building Selby up to take pressure off himself but he is going to give everything he's got to the match to try to beat him because amongst all the rubbish he said in the interview he really believes one thing he said:Selby is the ultimate challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Is Selby not value at around 15/8?

• Advertisement

What guilty conscience? It was a free ball. The referee eventually said it was a free ball. A few posters here cannot disguise their hatred of Ronnie.

I like Ronnie. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. While Williams sat in his seat letting Jan make the decision Ronnie pressured him into making one favourable to him.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Is Selby not value at around 15/8?

Of course in a two horse race with two pretty evenly matched players that represents value.

If Ronnie is at table Selby can't do anything, Ronnie will need to adapt his game a little, not so gung ho, play safe, don't give Selby all the easy access to the table he gave Williams, as Selby too will make Ronnie watch on for ages if he gets to table. Not sure Ronnie can help himself though, seems to give people chances to make it more difficult for himself, loves the challenge.

No I think that's completely wrong. Ronnie must not adapt his game to Selbys. He shouldn't adapt his game for anyone and just do what he is capable of doing instead of worrying about his opponent's style of play.

I like Ronnie. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. While Williams sat in his seat letting Jan make the decision Ronnie pressured him into making one favourable to him.

Ronnie was 100% right to question the decision.

they/them/theirs

There's a difference between pressuring someone and questioning them.

McGill has a favourable head to head v Wilson, leading 5-3 in matches. A couple of those were 6 reds matches i think which Wilson won at least one.

I hope McGill beats Wilson but will fatigue be a factor? McGill has won two deciders and one went past midnight. While his opponent had a bye in first round and has to be fresher.

I think 'The Robot' would be a more apt name for Wilson than The Warrior. Everything is so regimental and wooden. There's no flair or excitement. I find him very boring.

First to 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Tiz up to 17 Chalk

Tiz up to 17 Chalk

17-13 :)

Ronnie was 100% right to question the decision.

Didn't think for a second Ronnie questioned it because of the crucial point of the match it was it. A pro player is better at judging these things than a ref when it comes down to fractions of a millimetre. Ronnie instinctively knew it was a free ball and he was right.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    No I think that's completely wrong. Ronnie must not adapt his game to Selbys. He shouldn't adapt his game for anyone and just do what he is capable of doing instead of worrying about his opponent's style of play.

He refused some longs balls against Williams in closing frames, played safe. That's what I mean, don't take on the virtually impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TheHopeful

Some comeback from Ronnie from 7-2 down in fairness. Like others have said, I fancy Selby to beat him.

And surely Wilson wins the other semi. Fair play to McGill he has had a great run. He'll jump a lot in the rankings after this. Think he's 39 or something like that.

It's great Eurosport are showing all the coverage but I much prefer the BBC commentators. One of the pairs on Eurosport, Neil Foulds and the old lad he's with Donny head in with the stuff they come out with.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Some comeback from Ronnie from 7-2 down in fairness. Like others have said, I fancy Selby to beat him.

Yes I think so too. It's just that we expect so much of Ronnie that when he pulls off a comeback like that, we don't think as much off it as some lesser player that did the same thing.

Fantastic of Ronnie to pull off that match imo, Williams was playing very well. I'd put my money on Ronnie for his semi. I don't get why most here seem to be so hot on Selby. He hasn't been consistent for a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Its rare u see ronnie making a comeback like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Yes I think so too. It's just that we expect so much of Ronnie that when he pulls off a comeback like that, we don't think as much off it as some lesser player that did the same thing.

Fantastic of Ronnie to pull off that match imo, Williams was playing very well. I'd put my money on Ronnie for his semi. I don't get why most here seem to be so hot on Selby. He hasn't been consistent for a long while.

Ronnie has been sporadic in this tournament at best, the first match he was playing a non entity, Ding was terrible and had chance after chance to punish Ronnie but consistently failed to do so, Ronnie played a bit better against Williams especially in the latter stages of the match but he still allowed Williams to amass a 7 - 2 lead, if he had let Selby do that he wouldn't be in the semi finals.

Look Ronnie is a great player so has a chance no doubt but overall in a best of 33 Selby is a heavy favorite.

Its rare u see ronnie making a comeback like that.

Exactly. As I said earlier Ronnie is showing as good a composure I've seen from him for a long time. That is why he managed to beat Williams in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ronnie has been sporadic in this tournament at best, the first match he was playing a non entity, Ding was terrible and had chance after chance to punish Ronnie but consistently failed to do so, Ronnie played a bit better against Williams especially in the latter stages of the match but he still allowed Williams to amass a 7 - 2 lead, if he had let Selby do that he wouldn't be in the semi finals.

Look Ronnie is a great player so has a chance no doubt but overall in a best of 33 Selby is a heavy favorite.

The bookmakers disagree.

Ronnie 1/2
    Selby 13/8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ronnie is actually very successful in Semi final matches. According to cuetracker, this will be his 147th semi final (nice ring to that). He has won 106 of previous 146 semis.

Also see that Ronnie v Selby I head to head is 18/10 in favour of Ronnie.

But it's in the WCs where Mark dominated, open to correction but I think they have only met twice in WC and Selby won both.

https://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/mark-selby/ronnie-osullivan

Noone is a non-entity in the first round of the Worlds.

Ding didn't play that badly, Ronnie had to win that match and he did.

I don't really get why you think Selby is a fav over Ronnie. Just because over 33 frames? Calling a favourite like the bookies do is based on current form, last years form, all sorts of factors. Imo the factors are on Ronnies side. You are free to disagree, but if you'r calling it just because of best of 33? Well I wouldn't do so on that basis, as if Ronnie can't hold himself together that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He won that session 7-1.

A strong matchplayer.
    McGill barely survived the first couple of rounds, and Wilson didn't have to play the first round, he produced a good standard to upset Judd, who was below par. At least we will know the answer when they play, predictions often don't work out. What will we do when it's all over:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sporadic yet still the heaviest scorer in the tournament. Also everybody talking up Selby but he has been poor for a couple of seasons now. He was even poor in his opening two rounds here. Yes, he was excellent against Robbo but still with a bit to prove before we can say he's back to his best.

McGill barely survived the first couple of rounds, and Wilson didn't have to play the first round, he produced a good standard to upset Judd, who was below par. At least we will know the answer when they play, predictions often don't work out. What will we do when it's all over

Only 8 months to wait for the next year's world's.

Noone is a non-entity in the first round of the Worlds.

Ding didn't play that badly, Ronnie had to win that match and he did.

I don't really get why you think Selby is a fav over Ronnie. Just because over 33 frames? Calling a favourite like the bookies do is based on current form, last years form, all sorts of factors. Imo the factors are on Ronnies side. You are free to disagree, but if you'r calling it just because of best of 33? Well I wouldn't do so on that basis, as if Ronnie can't hold himself together that long.

I make Selby a big favourite because of how Ronnie played against Williams. Missed easy balls in so many frames. Selby won’t let him away with that. He’ll pinch frames every time.

they/them/theirs

Pighead wrote: »
    Sporadic yet still the heaviest scorer in the tournament. Also everybody talking up Selby but he has been poor for a couple of seasons now. He was even poor in his opening two rounds here. Yes, he was excellent against Robbo but still with a bit to prove before we can say he's back to his best.

Selby looked like he did at his peak against Robertson. Pure granite. Peak Ronnie couldn’t handle peak Selby and Ronnie is no at his peak.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Augme

Selby is massive value from a betting point of view. I think it's a very hard match to call but I'd have Selby as slight favourite given the current trajectories of both players. I think Selby is on an upswing form wise(pure looking at this tournament) at just the right time while Ronnie is either flattening or on a slight upward one.

Selby was excellent in the last round while I thought Ronnie was quite inconsistent. Ronnie can't afford a poor session like he did again mark and I just not that confident that Ronnie doesn't have one really bad session in him while I can't see Selby ending up 5-6 down at any stage.

I think Ronnie needs to come out strong and blow him out of the water as quickly as possible. if Selby takes 4 frame lead at any stage I think he will then just be in an ideal position to grind him down and frustrate him.

If I was Selby I'd be feeling very confident in my game plan and tactics. Not sure Ronnie would be feeling the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Whatever about missing the odd easy ball or throwing in a loose safety, I've not seen Ronnie this focused in a long time and I've watched pretty much every televised match of his for the last several years.

Here's Ronnie talking to Hendry about the 2014 final during the summer:

https://twitter.com/_RocketFan147/status/1293296570578984960

Selby looked like he did at his peak against Robertson. Pure granite. Peak Ronnie couldn’t handle peak Selby and Ronnie is no at his peak.
    Not entirely true. Ronnie well ahead on the head to head and if you're putting peak Selby in or around 2014 when Selby gave Ronnie a bit of a spanking in the World Final how would you explain the absolute tanking Ronnie gave Selby in the Masters final and also beat him in three subsequent matches after that 2014 final.

Think they've only played each twice at World's with one of them being a very close Selby win so not much evidence that Ronnie couldn't handle Selby at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Pighead wrote: »

No doubt the ability to score heavy is still there, but to me it feels like there is a kind of fragility to his game, he's missing so many easy pots and his judgment on shots has been questionable, Selby will punish him for this.

Im only judging them on the basis of this tournament, I know Selby's form has been poor for a while but to me he gets stronger as tournaments go on, if Ronnie continues playing the way he is then I feel Selby over a best of 33 will be just too much for him, we know Selby will battle and grind from start to finish.

You never though, if Ronnie can go up another gear and clean up his game, iron out those mistakes then obviously he's more than capable of winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ronnie all day long for me, but i won't watch the bore that is Mark Selby.
    All this he's a grinder and granite ect, his talent is limited in relation to the great players, the great breakbuilders.
    So he basically plays in slow motion and will play safe, safe safe safe until a ball is basically hanging over a pocket where
    he'll scrape over the line in a frame/match.
    Worst snooker player to watch ever, imo.

No doubt the ability to score heavy is still there, but to me it feels like there is a kind of fragility to his game, he's missing so many easy pots and his judgment on shots has been questionable, Selby will punish him for this.

Im only judging them on the basis of this tournament, I know Selby's form has been poor for a while but to me he gets stronger as tournaments go on, if Ronnie continues playing the way he is then I feel Selby over a best of 33 will be just too much for him, we know Selby will battle and grind from start to finish.

You never though, if Ronnie can go up another gear and clean up his game, iron out those mistakes then obviously he's more than capable of winning.
    Time will tell but I think Ronnie's form has been better during this tournament. Scoring heavy, safety play very good. Positional play needs improving and has to cut out silly mistakes but he showed from 10-10 last night with Williams he has another gear. But for the missed blue in the last frame to seal the win it was a near flawless last three frames.

Yes, Selby will be feeling confident right now after beating Robbo but old doubts will surely surface if his back is up against the wall should Ronnie start well. Intriguing battle ahead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement