Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

Did he tell Eurosport he loves a semi as well?

Rolls eyes to heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wouldnt be so sure. A lot including me wrote him off after the clarke game which finished after midnight and then he had to return the next day to face maflin who had a couple of days off.

He won that session 7-1.

He has shown real guts in deciders in this tournament. The pot on the blue v lisoskwi. The snooker behind the browmn and the comeback v clarke when his opponent was taking the pi$$.

A strong matchplayer.

Would be gas if McGill wins it outright. Seems to have that Scotish matchplay thing that Dott has. Never say die.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    I reckon ronnie missed the blue on purpose cause he thought the ref made a mistake.
    Letting williams back in for a sporting chance!

More likely his guilty conscience was troubling him and he couldn't concentrate properly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

radiata wrote: »
    I hope Selby destroys O' Sullivan

He's going to eat him alive, skin and all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

amens wrote: »
    More likely his guilty conscience was troubling him and he couldn't concentrate properly.

What guilty conscience? It was a free ball. The referee eventually said it was a free ball. A few posters here cannot disguise their hatred of Ronnie.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    He's going to eat him alive, skin and all.

Doubt it very much. I fancy Ronnie to beat 16-13.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Think wilson has a bit of class that McGills opponents up to now have lacked. Does have a bit of tactical matchplay nous about him, but wilson is a tough competitor too and is a previous s/finalist here and multiple ranking event winner. I've had plenty wrong so far this event, but I'll be really surprised if mcgill hasnt reached the end of his road here. Lisowski, Clarke and Maflin are good opponents for him, wilson not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,703 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If Ronnie is at table Selby can't do anything, Ronnie will need to adapt his game a little, not so gung ho, play safe, don't give Selby all the easy access to the table he gave Williams, as Selby too will make Ronnie watch on for ages if he gets to table. Not sure Ronnie can help himself though, seems to give people chances to make it more difficult for himself, loves the challenge.

Talking of gambling, telling people to lump on, ''inside info'' get on. WTF
    Is he planning on throwing it, surprised it's not an issue he said such things.

He is building Selby up to take pressure off himself but he is going to give everything he's got to the match to try to beat him because amongst all the rubbish he said in the interview he really believes one thing he said:Selby is the ultimate challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Is Selby not value at around 15/8?

• Advertisement

What guilty conscience? It was a free ball. The referee eventually said it was a free ball. A few posters here cannot disguise their hatred of Ronnie.

I like Ronnie. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. While Williams sat in his seat letting Jan make the decision Ronnie pressured him into making one favourable to him.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Is Selby not value at around 15/8?

Of course in a two horse race with two pretty evenly matched players that represents value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If Ronnie is at table Selby can't do anything, Ronnie will need to adapt his game a little, not so gung ho, play safe, don't give Selby all the easy access to the table he gave Williams, as Selby too will make Ronnie watch on for ages if he gets to table. Not sure Ronnie can help himself though, seems to give people chances to make it more difficult for himself, loves the challenge.

No I think that's completely wrong. Ronnie must not adapt his game to Selbys. He shouldn't adapt his game for anyone and just do what he is capable of doing instead of worrying about his opponent's style of play.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I like Ronnie. That doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. While Williams sat in his seat letting Jan make the decision Ronnie pressured him into making one favourable to him.

Ronnie was 100% right to question the decision.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There's a difference between pressuring someone and questioning them.

McGill has a favourable head to head v Wilson, leading 5-3 in matches. A couple of those were 6 reds matches i think which Wilson won at least one.

I hope McGill beats Wilson but will fatigue be a factor? McGill has won two deciders and one went past midnight. While his opponent had a bye in first round and has to be fresher.

I think 'The Robot' would be a more apt name for Wilson than The Warrior. Everything is so regimental and wooden. There's no flair or excitement. I find him very boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

First to 17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Tiz up to 17 Chalk

Tiz up to 17 Chalk

17-13 :)

Brian? wrote: »
    Ronnie was 100% right to question the decision.

Didn't think for a second Ronnie questioned it because of the crucial point of the match it was it. A pro player is better at judging these things than a ref when it comes down to fractions of a millimetre. Ronnie instinctively knew it was a free ball and he was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,703 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

AllForIt wrote: »
    No I think that's completely wrong. Ronnie must not adapt his game to Selbys. He shouldn't adapt his game for anyone and just do what he is capable of doing instead of worrying about his opponent's style of play.

He refused some longs balls against Williams in closing frames, played safe. That's what I mean, don't take on the virtually impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TheHopeful

Some comeback from Ronnie from 7-2 down in fairness. Like others have said, I fancy Selby to beat him.

And surely Wilson wins the other semi. Fair play to McGill he has had a great run. He'll jump a lot in the rankings after this. Think he's 39 or something like that.

It's great Eurosport are showing all the coverage but I much prefer the BBC commentators. One of the pairs on Eurosport, Neil Foulds and the old lad he's with Donny head in with the stuff they come out with.

TheHopeful wrote: »
    Some comeback from Ronnie from 7-2 down in fairness. Like others have said, I fancy Selby to beat him.

Yes I think so too. It's just that we expect so much of Ronnie that when he pulls off a comeback like that, we don't think as much off it as some lesser player that did the same thing.

Fantastic of Ronnie to pull off that match imo, Williams was playing very well. I'd put my money on Ronnie for his semi. I don't get why most here seem to be so hot on Selby. He hasn't been consistent for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Its rare u see ronnie making a comeback like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yes I think so too. It's just that we expect so much of Ronnie that when he pulls off a comeback like that, we don't think as much off it as some lesser player that did the same thing.

Fantastic of Ronnie to pull off that match imo, Williams was playing very well. I'd put my money on Ronnie for his semi. I don't get why most here seem to be so hot on Selby. He hasn't been consistent for a long while.

Ronnie has been sporadic in this tournament at best, the first match he was playing a non entity, Ding was terrible and had chance after chance to punish Ronnie but consistently failed to do so, Ronnie played a bit better against Williams especially in the latter stages of the match but he still allowed Williams to amass a 7 - 2 lead, if he had let Selby do that he wouldn't be in the semi finals.

Look Ronnie is a great player so has a chance no doubt but overall in a best of 33 Selby is a heavy favorite.

Its rare u see ronnie making a comeback like that.

Exactly. As I said earlier Ronnie is showing as good a composure I've seen from him for a long time. That is why he managed to beat Williams in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Ronnie has been sporadic in this tournament at best, the first match he was playing a non entity, Ding was terrible and had chance after chance to punish Ronnie but consistently failed to do so, Ronnie played a bit better against Williams especially in the latter stages of the match but he still allowed Williams to amass a 7 - 2 lead, if he had let Selby do that he wouldn't be in the semi finals.

Look Ronnie is a great player so has a chance no doubt but overall in a best of 33 Selby is a heavy favorite.

The bookmakers disagree.

Ronnie 1/2
    Selby 13/8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Genghis

Ronnie is actually very successful in Semi final matches. According to cuetracker, this will be his 147th semi final (nice ring to that). He has won 106 of previous 146 semis.

Also see that Ronnie v Selby I head to head is 18/10 in favour of Ronnie.

But it's in the WCs where Mark dominated, open to correction but I think they have only met twice in WC and Selby won both.

https://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/mark-selby/ronnie-osullivan

Noone is a non-entity in the first round of the Worlds.

Ding didn't play that badly, Ronnie had to win that match and he did.

I don't really get why you think Selby is a fav over Ronnie. Just because over 33 frames? Calling a favourite like the bookies do is based on current form, last years form, all sorts of factors. Imo the factors are on Ronnies side. You are free to disagree, but if you'r calling it just because of best of 33? Well I wouldn't do so on that basis, as if Ronnie can't hold himself together that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Wouldnt be so sure. A lot including me wrote him off after the clarke game which finished after midnight and then he had to return the next day to face maflin who had a couple of days off.

He won that session 7-1.

He has shown real guts in deciders in this tournament. The pot on the blue v lisoskwi. The snooker behind the browmn and the comeback v clarke when his opponent was taking the pi$$.

A strong matchplayer.
    McGill barely survived the first couple of rounds, and Wilson didn't have to play the first round, he produced a good standard to upset Judd, who was below par. At least we will know the answer when they play, predictions often don't work out. What will we do when it's all over:)

Advertisement