Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Panrich wrote: »
    He questioned it correctly originally and asked the referee to check. I thought it was a bit off to question the referees decision when it was obviously so close. You can argue that he was in the right and it was the correct decision but because it made such a material difference and it was so obviously close, it should not have been pushed like that by the player. Williams had just shown the spirit of how the game should be played a shot earlier.

The reaction afterwards of shaking his head like he didn't want it wasn't very convincing either. His sheepish look towards Williams after he cleared the balls was telling.

I'm always been a fan of Ronnie but that whole episode didn't sit well with me.

But it was a free ball. The referee was initially wrong so any player in that position is entitled to ask for a second look. That's how i saw it anyway. And i don't defend Ronnie all the time. I called him out for blatantly cheating twice in last few years when others made excuses for it. But i dont see a problem with this. Jans Verhaas shouldn't have needed a second look to call it correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The referee said it was no free ball, and when questioned changed his mind. That’s what annoyed me. He spent time looking at it from different angles from both ends of the table before making his decision. It wasn’t a quick fire decision, so stand by your original decision

He had a closer look and then made a decision that it was a free ball. Why should he have stuck to a wrong decision?

Fair play to him for getting it right in the end, that's what counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Panrich

raclle wrote: »
    But wasn't that before he placed the red balls? Maybe he should of done that before he made his decision but in the end correct call

No he called no free ball after placing the red balls and sizing them up for ages. Ronnie questioned it and he had another look and gave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

It's the hesitation I wouldn't like, he looked, said clearly it isn't a free ball, then looked again and said it is.

I would always trust the player's eye in situations like that. Mark Williams would have said something if he thought it was a wrong call.

Important thing, right decision in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No one should be slating the ref for anything, nor is he in any shape or form infallible. We cant tell looking on whether it was freeball or not. But Verhaas spent 2 minutes looking at it both ends and decided it wasnt. Then he's asked to recheck and after another 15-20 seconds he comes to the conclusion it is. Maybe it was after all, but why he didnt then conclude it first time is what leaves the doubts. And thats understandable imo, it was obviously extremely tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I think Selby will strangle Ronnie mentally. He gets inside his head. Was shouting for Williams. In fairness to Ronnie he destroyed him in the run in.

He's always said his biggest regret is being dragged into playing Selby's game in 2014. I don't think he'll be naive enough to make that mistake again and I have half a feeling that he'll play like a man with a point to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

No one should be slating the ref for anything, nor is he in any shape or form infallible. We cant tell looking on whether it was freeball or not. But Verhaas spent 2 minutes looking at it both ends and decided it wasnt. Then he's asked to recheck and after another 15-20 seconds he comes to the conclusion it is. Maybe it was after all, but why he didnt then conclude it first time is what leaves the doubts. And thats understandable imo, it was obviously extremely tight.

He only changed his mind after having both guide balls in place and looking from the black end of the table which he hadn't done previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He had a closer look and then made a decision that it was a free ball. Why should he have stuck to a wrong decision?

Fair play to him for getting it right in the end, that's what counts.

Yeah Jan did well there, did the right thing. Double checked took his time calm manner. Also stopped McGill and Clarke killing each other in previous round. I will say it again legend!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

But it was a free ball. The referee was initially wrong so any player in that position is entitled to ask for a second look. That's how i saw it anyway. And i don't defend Ronnie all the time. I called him out for blatantly cheating twice in last few years when others made excuses for it. But i dont see a problem with this. Jans Verhaas shouldn't have needed a second look to call it correctly.

How do you know? You're not there looking from different angles? It's the referee's decision. He put two reds on the table that formed a straight line with the cueball which means the cueball could hit the red next to the yellow full ball so no freeball.

zuutroy wrote: »
    He's always said his biggest regret is being dragged into playing Selby's game in 2014. I don't think he'll be naive enough to make that mistake again and I have half a feeling that he'll play like a man with a point to prove.

Maybe, I don't see it. Obviously, I think who ever wins that semi wins outright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think/kind of hope Ronnie does beat Selby now.

He has struggled to get past the early rounds since 2014 but once the big prize is up there with one big push required for a few days I think Ronnie will up his game and knuckle down. In the latter half of his career he was virtually unplayable on that single table at the Crucible. Only losing that one final to Selby.

amens wrote: »
    How do you know? You're not there looking from different angles? It's the referee's decision. He put two reds on the table that formed a straight line with the cueball which means the cueball could hit the red next to the yellow full ball so no freeball.

He even looked at from both sides of the table. Was really a quadruple check. One of those younger refs might have panicked in that scenario.

Maybe, I don't see it. Obviously, I think who ever wins that semi wins outright.

Whoever survives 33 frames with Selby will be so exhausted that Wilson will have it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

He only changed his mind after having both guide balls in place and looking from the black end of the table which he hadn't done previously.

He placed both guide balls on the table and looked from both ends of the table before making his original call of no free ball

Ronnie is not an honest player. He tries to take any advantage he can get. A few years ago he hit the pack of reds with his cue after a shot and didn't declare a foul. He made such an exaggerated reaction later when shown the footage that it was unbelievable that he hadn't noticed it during the game.
    He wanted it to be a freeball and didn't care if it really was or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I hope Selby destroys O' Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

He placed both guide balls on the table and looked from both ends of the table before making his original call of no free ball

No, he didn't. Jaysus, were people watching the same call as me or just changing it to suit their own call.

He had the balls placed and the used another ball, then used anoth ball to see were both sides available.

After an adjustment, I presume and think was called, it was then called as a free ball, correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Fair play to McGill making the semis.

Is it an advantage to a player like him that there is no crowd to contend with? That he doesn’t have the odd random reaction from fans watching the other table that can be off putting?

Is his victory a sign of things to come that underdogs won’t be overawed by the occasions because the fans are missing and the occasions are not as intimidating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

MacGill wins 13-10, I'd say Wilson will put him away easily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fair play to McGill making the semis.

Is it an advantage to a player like him that there is no crowd to contend with? That he doesn’t have the odd random reaction from fans watching the other table that can be off putting?

Is his victory a sign of things to come that underdogs won’t be overawed by the occasions because the fans are missing and the occasions are not as intimidating?

I'd say it's quiter, as there are small or nonexistent crowds at most of the tournaments, and the come on Ronnie shouts are not missed by anyone, always some loud cockney(is there any other type) screaming when he is 80 points in front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think Selby will beat Ronnie but it should be a great game either. Hope Wilson beats McGill in their match.

petes wrote: »
    No, he didn't. Jaysus, were people watching the same call as me or just changing it to suit their own call.

He had the balls placed and the used another ball, then used anoth ball to see were both sides available.

After an adjustment, I presume and think was called, it was then called as a free ball, correct decision.

We'll all be on YouTube later watching the recording :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ronnie talking about golf a lot on Eurosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Eurosport just interviewing Ronnie now. He’s of the opinion that he is playing terribly, can’t pot anything more than 3 foot and is putting in a bunker load of golfing analogy’s about his game.

He’s still the one to beat I think, but is possibly mote beatable this year than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

MacGill wins 13-10, I'd say Wilson will put him away easily enough

Wouldnt be so sure. A lot including me wrote him off after the clarke game which finished after midnight and then he had to return the next day to face maflin who had a couple of days off.

He won that session 7-1.

He has shown real guts in deciders in this tournament. The pot on the blue v lisoskwi. The snooker behind the browmn and the comeback v clarke when his opponent was taking the pi$$.

A strong matchplayer.

petes wrote: »

amens wrote: »
    We'll all be on YouTube later watching the recording :D

I remember it the way Petes said it, only got second red as guide later. Plus checked both ends of table.

Ronnie talking about golf a lot on Eurosport.

Did he tell Eurosport he loves a semi as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah, that was the final where Selby won 10 frames in a row after being quite a bit behind. Couldn't understand who Ronnie let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I reckon ronnie missed the blue on purpose cause he thought the ref made a mistake.
    Letting williams back in for a sporting chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,765 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Talking of gambling, telling people to lump on, ''inside info'' get on. WTF
    Is he planning on throwing it, surprised it's not an issue he said such things.

Advertisement