Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭emaherx

+1.
    If I was hiring a professional driver and he hopped onto a tractor and locked the brake pedals together, I wouldn’t be hiring him...different story for a stockman.

If I was looking for work I wouldn't take a job with somone who expected me to operate a machine in such an illegal manar on the road. It only takes a second to split the brakes for field use. We see enough road accidents involving tractors without people doing foolish things because they are "professional" drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I'm going to be really dumb here but can I ask why? I know some guys never lock them and vice versa. I've never had it properly explained why you'd want them open when pulling a trailer etc at 40k+ down the road.

Hard to explain really. A professional driver should be skillful enough to always hit the brake they need, in an instant.

If someone drove your car like they were doing the driving test would it fill you with confidence in their ability?
    Try doing the artic test driving like you were doing the car test...that won’t end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

emaherx wrote: »
    If I was looking for work I wouldn't take a job with somone who expected me to operate a machine in such an illegal manar on the road. It only takes a second to split the brakes for field use. We see enough road accidents involving tractors without people doing foolish things because they are "professional" drivers.

I don’t expect drivers to couple/uncouple the brakes. The main thing is that they drive within their ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm going to be really dumb here but can I ask why? I know some guys never lock them and vice versa. I've never had it properly explained why you'd want them open when pulling a trailer etc at 40k+ down the road.

Especially as most of the drivers are on the phone as well, the chances of hitting te two brakes in an emergency could be poor

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

wrangler wrote: »
    Especially as most of the drivers are on the phone as well, the chances of hitting te two brakes in an emergency could be poor

And that is an acquired bad habit from driving full-time with locked brake pedals. Muscle memory should bring your foot to the proper place on both pedals everytime . Pressing either left of right pedal when you want to should feel wrong/different.

When pedals are locked far more attention needs to be given to having both brakes adjusted exactly the same. Countless times I have driven other people's tractors and found them with locked pedals and braking more on one side.

• Advertisement

Hard to explain really. A professional driver should be skillful enough to always hit the brake they need, in an instant.

If someone drove your car like they were doing the driving test would it fill you with confidence in their ability?
    Try doing the artic test driving like you were doing the car test...that won’t end well.

That is total BS, anyone reacting in an emergency can hit the brakes wrong and send the tractor in a spin.

I'd run any man or woman I found driving my tractors on the road with brakes split. There is nothing professional about what you are claiming it's just dangerous and foolish.

And that is an acquired bad habit from driving full-time with locked brake pedals. Muscle memory should bring your foot to the proper place on both pedals everytime . Pressing either left of right pedal when you want to should feel wrong/different.

When pedals are locked far more attention needs to be given to having both brakes adjusted exactly the same. Countless times I have driven other people's tractors and found them with locked pedals and braking more on one side.

Muscle memory my arse, especially if a driver is driving multiple brands/models regularly.

Poorly maintained machinery is not a great excuse for driving poorly. Besides tractors since the mid 90's have an auto compensation between the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

That is total BS, anyone reacting in an emergency can hit the brakes wrong and send the tractor in a spin.

I'd run any man or woman I found driving my tractors on the road with brakes split. There is nothing professional about what you are claiming it's just dangerous and foolish.

I’ve never locked the brakes on any tractor I’ve ever driven.
    Rarely have I come across tractors that had the locked by other drivers.

I’ve never locked the brakes on any tractor I’ve ever driven.
    Rarely have I come across tractors that had the locked by other drivers.

Dosen't make it right though dose it?

I'm the opposite and I've never herd of any one driving on the road with them unlocked before reading this thread. I've yet to hear a good reason for them to be unlocked on the road but plenty for the opposite.

Maybe it was a contributory factor in that accident if so many seem to think it's OK.

1. It is illegal to drive on public road with them unlocked.
    2. The manufacturer felt the need to put stickers beside pedals saying to lock them for road use because they feel it's unsafe.
    3. What purpose would they serve unlocked on a road?
    4. This was bad practice on old low speed tractors, but with tractor speeds now of 50 or 60 KPH it is just insane.
    5. Belief that one is such a professional that muscle memory will save them in a split second emergency is total madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Driving a tractor with the brakes unlocked on the road is madness lads it's as simple as that.

Any number of things could cause your foot to slip to one side in an emergency braking scenario, I'd be confident enough that I'd most likely hit the sweet spot between the two pedals every time but I'd not put much faith in my damp mucky wellington gripping perfectly and staying on that sweet spot.

Having them unlocked for draft field work in testing conditions or doing the dancing act with a heavy fusion bale and a light 2wd tractor makes sense but that's pretty much it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Twice I split the brakes and I needed to tip them apart with a hammer. It was when the steering shaft splines gave up the ghost and I managed to get back to the yard using the brakes.

A few Octobers ago it was paddling bales out of a wet field. Very useful that day.

Muscle memory is fine 99% of the time to catch both pedals but in an emergency stop or like is often the case, boots/wellingtons are slippy with dirt or oil I wouldn't chance it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Dosen't make it right though dose it?

I'm the opposite and I've never herd of any one driving on the road with them unlocked before reading this thread. I've yet to hear a good reason for them to be unlocked on the road but plenty for the opposite.

Maybe it was a contributory factor in that accident if so many seem to think it's OK.

1. It is illegal to drive on public road with them unlocked.
    2. The manufacturer felt the need to put stickers beside pedals saying to lock them for road use because they feel it's unsafe.
    3. What purpose would they serve unlocked on a road?
    4. This was bad practice on old low speed tractors, but with tractor speeds now of 50 or 60 KPH it is just insane.
    5. Belief that one is such a professional that muscle memory will save them in a split second emergency is total madness.

Likewise with a safety belt if your tractor is fitted with one but how many people use them.
    Driving with the loader up especially on tractors with front suspension is not a good idea.
    If this accident was caused by misuse of the brakes he/she was very inexperienced not to realise what was happening

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Anyone know where a suction tank for a 2" water pump, similar to below, might be had? That one put a hole in its side.

https://ibb.co/48HrwDw

Likewise with a safety belt if your tractor is fitted with one but how many people use them.
    Driving with the loader up especially on tractors with front suspension is not a good idea.
    If this accident was caused by misuse of the brakes he/she was very inexperienced not to realise what was happening

I wouldn't be surprised if the driver of the tractor was inexperienced, but mis-use of brakes may have been a contributory factor, an other factor may have been "experienced" and "professional" lads teaching him that you don't need to lock brakes together on the road.

As for the seat belt remark, there is a very long list a safety items that "experienced" and "professional" drivers think are optional, that's hardly a justifiable excuse though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That John Deere tractor was on it's journey to a new life. Where the driver was just driving it home after purchasing it second hand.

It's in the jd dealers now. All glass less and twisted. It'll be a parts tractor now I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

That John Deere tractor was on it's journey to a new life. Where the driver was just driving it home after purchasing it second hand.

It's in the jd dealers now. All glass less and twisted. It'll be a parts tractor now I'd say.

Apparently more damage was done getting it back on it's wheels than in the initial turn over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

orm0nd wrote: »
    Apparently more damage was done getting it back on it's wheels than in the initial turn over.

Yeah, was wondering that... How should you go about righting a tractor on its side?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Yeah, was wondering that... How should you go about righting a tractor on its side?

I'd start by NOT putting straps around the cab structure and use the loader brackets at least

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ahh - that's sh1te for the new owner.
    I hope it was insured at the time. Was the owner driving or a young fella? Either way a sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Sligthest scratch to cab safety structures or the likes is an insta write off.
    With your case does the cab side part of yhe door hinge weld directly to the frame? I know on newer puma’s having the wind catch the door and bend the frame is a new cab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Sligthest scratch to cab safety structures or the likes is an insta write off.
    With your case does the cab side part of yhe door hinge weld directly to the frame? I know on newer puma’s having the wind catch the door and bend the frame is a new cab!

Not directly. They're on two plates welded out a bit from the frame. I'd say they could be replaced if the strut broke and wind bent it back.
    Mightnt look the finest after though.

Would the equalising valve not ensure both are balanced??

(And cover potential weak spots?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cabs surely should be rated for a more forcefull turnover than that, and should survive it as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi going looking at at 04 McCormick cx 105 and wondering if there is anything I should look out for. What are they like.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Aravo

If it was just sold. If the new owned had insurance in place or not you can bet this is not the end of the matter. If the brakes were split, questions will be asked of who removed the pin to split the brakes and also was the new owner informed of this. I would not like to be involved in this.

Are we sure that split brakes was the problem?
    It seemed that cutting the corner and hitting a culvert caused the tractor to roll. Was it split brakes which caused it to veer in the first instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Aravo wrote: »
    If it was just sold. If the new owned had insurance in place or not you can bet this is not the end of the matter. If the brakes were split, questions will be asked of who removed the pin to split the brakes and also was the new owner informed of this. I would not like to be involved in this.

Don't think it had anything to do with the brakes being split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »
    And the loader up high just helped flip her over

It was a neighbours nephew driving that tractor, he had just bought it off a guy that won it on one of those Facebook's raffles.
    The 4wd braking was bet on it and that's what caused it to flip.

Wouldnt bother with those Facebook competions again

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi going looking at at 04 McCormick cx 105 and wondering if there is anything I should look out for. What are they like.thanks

Make sure clutch/packs arent slipping.....and the lift is working right/opening pick-up correctly

And the engine isnt leaking oil/over heating

• Advertisement

It was a neighbours nephew driving that tractor, he had just bought it off a guy that won it on one of those Facebook's raffles.
    The 4wd braking was bet on it and that's what caused it to flip.

Wouldnt bother with those Facebook competions again

I'm not too up to speed with the JD or 4 wheel braking. What was the actual issue?

Advertisement