Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else starting to become a bit excited?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Still here lads, and I only have one account. Still a huge scam as well - another 2 billion tether printed recently

And another 125 million created in the past 20 minutes.

I'm surprised it is only 2 billion. About 8 billion has moved into Defi tokens recently and the easiest way to buy them is to buy Tether and then buy your token on the tether/token market.

Having 1 tether = 1 dollars is much less open to mistakes than buying a few thousand tokens at 0.000021 of a bitcoin. One wrong zero and you are losing a nice chunk.

If I want to spend $100 I buy 100 tether. Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

aido79 wrote: »
    The scale of the scam is impressive:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin-market-cap-is-now-bigger-than-intel-or-coca-cola/amp

...and that doesn't take into account any of the other coins.

You're referring to tether I take it - given that you quote JF?

Further research has been done which finds that Tether issuance isn't pumping the price. In this podcast, Ganesh Viswanath-Natraj - Assistant Professor of Finance at Warwick Business School discusses his paper.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

You're referring to tether I take it - given that you quote JF?

Further research has been done which finds that Tether issuance isn't pumping the price. In this podcast, Ganesh Viswanath-Natraj - Assistant Professor of Finance at Warwick Business School discusses his paper.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about to be honest. I quoted an article from coin telegraph about bitcoin being worth more than the shares of coca cola and Intel in terms of market capitalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'm not really sure what you are talking about to be honest. I quoted an article from coin telegraph about bitcoin being worth more than the shares of coca cola and Intel in terms of market capitalisation.

Those are large companies but possibly not as large as you might think. For exemple Microsoft’s market cap is 8 times larger. And in terms of hard assets the total market cap of gold is 50 times larger.

Being 1/50th of gold’s market cap is an achievement for sure. But it still is significantly smaller.

(EDIT - looks like I misunderstood you!...and you were being ironic with the 'scam' mention. Disregard my posts!).

You did - in response and in quoting JF's commentary on Tether. However, if you know nothing about it, that's fine.

In that case, I can only assume that you are calling crypto a 'scam' across the board. If so, I disagree. I think you misunderstand what decentralised cryptocurrency has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭amacca

You did - in response and in quoting JF's commentary on Tether. However, if you know nothing about it, that's fine.

In that case, I can only assume that you are calling crypto a 'scam' across the board. If so, I disagree. I think you misunderstand what decentralised cryptocurrency has to offer.

Perhaps he is saying its too large to be a scam?

You know, if that much money is pumped into it then perhaps its not a scam for definite sort of thing....

Im.not sure where I come down personally having read books like extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds etc

I find it hard to decide if im looking at tulips or a genuine golden ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Real battle at $400 going in right now for eth

amacca wrote: »
    Ah, sorry - yes. Looks like I missunderstood!
    Im.not sure where I come down personally having read books like extraordinary popular delusions and the madness of crowds etc
    It was a good investment of time to read those. The madness of crowds is evident in all markets from what I can see - and it's definitely evident in crypto too. However, that doesn't mean that there isn't something tangible at the heart of it.

The dot com boom/bust would be an example of sorts. Lots of over-hype - resulting in a lot of fingers getting badly burnt. However, look what came out of it. That handful of mega-sized tech companies make up a disproportionate chunk of the S&P 500 now.
    I find it hard to decide if im looking at tulips or a genuine golden ticket.
    You are looking at something that is incredibly high risk and moving at a pace. Plenty of projects will fail and never be seen or heard from again. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't agree with that. However, there will be category winners (as there are many different use cases coming out of this - it's not just a money use case or digital gold use case that's implicated).

What I would strongly disagree with though is the comparison with Tulips. Google the characteristics of what makes good money...or what makes a decent store of value. Then go through those characteristics in thinking about Tulips and in thinking of Bitcoin. Bitcoin will score very well. Tulips have hardly any of those characteristics. It's an ill-informed comparison. While your there, then compare bitcoin with gold and sovereign/fiat currencies.

I think you're getting mixed up here. I thought JF was saying that all cryptocurrency is a scam so I posted the link to make a point that if it's a scam then it's very impressive.
    I have had various cryptocurrencies for a few years and am very positive about the future of cryptocurrency. I in no way think it's a scam.

You know, if that much money is pumped into it then perhaps its not a scam for definite sort of thing....

That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

• Advertisement

I think you're getting mixed up here. I thought JF was saying that all cryptocurrency is a scam so I posted the link to make a point that if it's a scam then it's very impressive.
    I have had various cryptocurrencies for a few years and am very positive about the future of cryptocurrency. I in no way think it's a scam.

My bad - you're quite right - I misunderstood and edited my post above to reflect that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Stacked big there today, first time stacking over $11.5 k I think.

Lambo due for delivery January 21, custom order.

211 MH 100000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Lambo due for delivery January 21, custom order.

211 MH 100000

I keep seeing stacked and have been too afraid to ask what it means ?? :D

Does that mean you add a little each week and your overall is 11.5K or that you just bought 11.5K worth today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Does that mean you add a little each week and your overall is 11.5K or that you just bought 11.5K worth today?
    Think he has the silage cut in that 11 Acre field and is stacking Bales all morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I think he means he has bought some bitcoin (Probably not a whole bitcoin) and its the first time hes every bought bitcoin when the price was at over 11.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

In my native dialect, stacked means you clipped a large semi in the Lambo and it rolled a few times in the air as it left the road before hitting some trees and was write-off.

What's MH?

Won't be long before we start having those capital gains tax and emigration discussions again. :cool:

Given flights to escape on are looking bothersome, perhaps InstaSte and I could share the costs of chartering a Gulfstream to our respective tax havens. :D

I farm and stack Satoshies for a living on my $11,500 acre farm which happens to have parking for Lambos so in a way you are all correct.

MH = Meath, where my Irish hideout will be located.

May start looking for a farm in Portugal soon.

Truckermal wrote: »
    Think he has the silage cut in that 11 Acre field and is stacking Bales all morning.....
    Nailed it - this is where the Lambo comes into the equation also.:D
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Won't be long before we start having those capital gains tax and emigration discussions again. :cool:
    Emigration? You mean I'm going to have to do this all over again? :eek:
    Full explanation here.

I add a little each week, or a lot on bearish weeks. Today was the most I've ever paid for Bitcoin, uncharted territories for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

I add a little each week, or a lot on bearish weeks. Today was the most I've ever paid for Bitcoin, uncharted territories for me.

are you manually doing this or do you link your cc or bank acc for auto "stacking"?

• Advertisement

mdmix wrote: »
    are you manually doing this or do you link your cc or bank acc for auto "stacking"?

Manually as the amount always changes a bit depending on my mood and the price. Generally try to stack similar amount of Bitcoin per week as opposed to the USDV of it.

Almost feels bad to say it but Covid causing us to all stay at home has increased the pot tremendously.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,864 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nailed it - this is where the Lambo comes into the equation also.:D

Emigration? You mean I'm going to have to do this all over again? :eek:

Full explanation here.

You emigrated already? if so, you surely won't need to again.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You emigrated already? if so, you surely won't need to again.
    For sure, Just kidding. I've been living overseas and happily filing tax returns on crypto earnings for a few years already.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

bitcoin up is partly due to weak dollar, in euro terms still not breaking 12 month high

https://youtu.be/7B4JcUEIVS4

mdmix wrote: »
    bitcoin up is partly due to weak dollar, in euro terms still not breaking 12 month high

https://youtu.be/7B4JcUEIVS4

Same goes for stonks. Just one of those things we have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Another push to crack 12 on now.

Hello $10 link it was nice to meet you hope to see you back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

jimmii wrote: »

Buy the dip!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

jimmii wrote: »
    Give it a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Give it a few minutes.

Its spent the whole day trying to hold it. Maybe tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement