Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockdown for Kildare (Aug 8th-31st)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Absolute shocking decision. GAA has been back guts of a month a few if any cases. Yet stop playing. Joke shop country. NPHET and govt are a disgrace.

The point is there are already at least 80 new cases in a concentrated area, any one of those playing GAA would cause a further outbreak.

This isn’t complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Absolute shocking decision. GAA has been back guts of a month a few if any cases. Yet stop playing. Joke shop country. NPHET and govt are a disgrace.

It's so easy to see how the health service in Ireland is one of the worst in Europe. The levels of incompetence and tolerance by the masses is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why would the GAA get special treatment to the rest of the county residents? Are they operating in a bubble system similar to the US sports leagues are? No! So they are just as vulnerable to community transmission as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Crazy that everyone in the 3 counties has to suffer because a group of refugees can't social distance.

Im not racist but this is true. Certain cultures and minorities dont give a ****. They show an ignorance and petulance toward the directions for face masks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Well as someone who lives in one of those counties and is 2 hours away tonight and for the rest of the weekend, I'll be breaking the restrictions anyway

Good man yourself. Will you cook your own dinner in the closed restaurants? Or go on a drive to another county just because they told you not to? It's time to grow up I think. Or maybe you're a teenager, if so thats understandable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Very surprised to read that some meat factory employees are in direct provision. If they are thus employed, why are they not on working visas and living self sustained in comunity. Are they in reciept of a full wage? Is this a source of cheap compliant labour, subsidised by irish state. Genuine questions...if someone can enlighten me.

Was wondering the same myself. The law changed last year to allow them to work but AFAIR the condition was only if they could find a job paying 30k or more and meat processors do not pay migrant labour those kind of wages. Someone said on another thread that its possible for someone who has gotten refugee status to still be living in a direct provision centre if they cant find accommodation. But yeah it could also be some kind of three card trick to give meat processors cheap labour.

Crazy that everyone in the 3 counties has to suffer because a group of refugees can't social distance.

Disrespecting animals in China is suspected to have caused the virus transmission into humans, the murky meat industry and those that support it in Ireland are the cause of this lockdown. No better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Im not racist but this is true. Certain cultures and minorities dont give a ****. They show an ignorance and petulance toward the directions for face masks etc.

Yeah, definitely wasn’t anything to do with being housed in and working in close quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Cue all the Dubs laughing at KOL. The government should have done it countrywide. We're not a giant country like Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I doubt the meat factories themselves are the problem, it is more than likely many workers returning to lodgings and mingling with many others in a crowded house, and then going out in their locality and a possible spread in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd hazard a guess that it's more likely the conditions they're currently placed in and poor communication that's causing it than something cultural.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's so easy to see how the health service in Ireland is one of the worst in Europe. The levels of incompetence and tolerance by the masses is shocking.
    It was mass testing by "the worst in Europe" that identified these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭eggy81

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Very surprised to read that some meat factory employees are in direct provision. If they are thus employed, why are they not on working visas and living self sustained in comunity. Are they in reciept of a full wage? Is this a source of cheap compliant labour, subsidised by irish state. Genuine questions...if someone can enlighten me.

Because the government doesn't want the hassle of getting into these communities to sort out the can of worms their living conditions represent. This lockdoen is a joke, a sledge hammer response to a problem that needs meticulous planning and dealing with. It would probably feed back into the housing crisis and illegal immigration and direct provision and a host of other things that civid has distracted from for the last 6 months. We won't get a handle on this until a vaccine is available because we aren't capable or even trying to imo.

Im not racist but

Classic

I doubt the meat factories themselves are the problem, it is more than likely many workers returning to lodgings and mingling with many others in a crowded house, and then going out in their locality and a possible spread in the community.

The IT had an informative Q&A on the favorites and covid.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/meat-plants-q-a-the-lingering-coronavirus-threat-1.4323976?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

MadYaker wrote: »
    Good man yourself. Will you cook your own dinner in the closed restaurants? Or go on a drive to another country just because they told you not to? It's time to grow up I think. Or maybe you're a teenager, if so thats understandable.

See it's this idiotic nonsense from people like yourself that are so keen to show (and advertise) how compliant they are that has the fear and hysteria at the levels it is

I'm away with friends for the weekend. I couldn't even drive now if I wanted to as have had a few beers. But I will go home on Sunday and don't expect any issues - at most I'll be told to stay put when I Get there.

This is what happens when you have weak cowardly Government making knee-jerk reactions with short time frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Best wishes to all in those counties

The giant sun blocker is already moving into place a la Simpsons. Or another analogy, Cohaagen cutting off the oxygen to innocent Martians. I'm getting cabin fever already and it hasn't started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

circadian wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that it's more likely the conditions they're currently placed in and poor communication that's causing it than something cultural.

Ah yeh. Let me tell you, the minorites im reffering to are well able to speak English when it suits them.

Ah yeh. Let me tell you, the minorites im reffering to are well able to speak English when it suits them.

Aye, dead on.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It was mass testing by "the worst in Europe" that identified these cases.

A lockdown based on new cases is so ridiculous. Hospital numbers absolutely minimal and age of the workers infected means there is an extremely low risk of them even needing to go to hospital.

Let's not forget that the death rate is so high from the NPHET failure to consider the risk to nursing and care homes. I have no respect for their supposed experts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

circadian wrote: »
    That didn't take long. A look at the thread on masks highlights the noisy minority who don't want to participate with guidelines like everyone else.

No, it's not fun nor enjoyable. It is, however, beneficial. Get over yourselves.
    Here's another idea. How about they make those in DP and meat plants follow the SD rules like everyone else and we wouldn't have to make 350,000 people suffer.

Those meat plants need closing down until proven they can follow the rules.

This is not of my making and I will not be suffering because of others' ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

How do you socially distance in a meat factory? or a direct provision centre?

Lundstram wrote: »
    Here's another idea. How about they make those in DP and meat plants follow the SD rules like everyone else and we wouldn't have to make 350,000 people suffer.

Those meat plants need closing down until proven they can follow the rules.

This is not of my making and I will not be suffering because of others' ignorance.

Yet, as a result you could have others suffer from your ignorance. It takes the bigger person to see past the behaviour of others and hold themselves to a higher standard instead of harbouring bitterness and spitefulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

This is unworkable. How will they police it. Anyone who has a staycation booked will just ignore it. For example what happens if someone in Kildare has a hotel booked in Killarney for next week. Paid in advance online for "best price". Kerry isn't shut so the hotel won't refund them of they don't turn up. So they are just going to head off and to hell with the non-existent consequences. If someone turns up at a hotel in Killarney will they be asked for proof of address.

That was needed was a rapid response of shutting down the factories involved in the clusters and forcing those people into quarantine. Anyone
    in shared accommodation who can't isolate put them into city west for 2 weeks. We're already paying for the place and the owners are laughing at us. Strict quarantine for a limited number of people is the only way to contain it. Not a half baked we'd like it if you could possibly consider not travelling if it isn't too much hassle and a fully baked shut down of bars and restaurants and shops who did not contribute to this outbreak and are now the ones being punished.

A lockdown based on new cases is so ridiculous. Hospital numbers absolutely minimal and age of the workers infected means there is an extremely low risk of them even needing to go to hospital.

Schools closed at 45 cases... Weve had 200+ in 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Has anything been said about people who live in one these county's and work outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They shut the factory down after they tested the workers and found 80 cases. The reason the 3 counties had to be locked down is because at that point those 80 cases had been out in the community potentially spreading the virus so now they are playing catch up trying to get on top of the community transmission hence the lockdown.

Lundstram wrote: »

You seem okay if others suffer cus of yours though...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Live pictures of a Dublin bound truck driver desperately trying to get back to the city this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

At least it's only a few hours notice.

Don't want a repeat of Italy, where people had days in advance to leave before their regions were shut down

Advertisement