Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

The Cush wrote: »
    Have you contacted your current provider to see what they can do for you, they will be able to talk to open-eir directly.

Nothing they can do, only mobile broadband they can offer. They even said to try another provider and i'm saying that i'm currently with them in a rental and want to stay with them, i would be making sure to sort it if i was them and not lose a customer

Makes no sense :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

At least they're being honest. Many just say we'll get you a copper phone line and see about getting you a fibre line next thing they know is an ADSL modem lands on their front door and a man from kn has an order to provide a telephone line without broadband. Customer will then get another call after telephone line goes in sorry your line is too far for broadband and there's no further mention of fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Ill tell you what the worst thing about digiweb is... i sent them an email asking some questions about the service because i'm pricing around looking for providers... now they've tried to ring me twice while i'm at work... still no reply to the email and i didnt even include my phone number in the email... ON PURPOSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Video wrote: »
    Ill tell you what the worst thing about digiweb is... i sent them an email asking some questions about the service because i'm pricing around looking for providers... now they've tried to ring me twice while i'm at work... still no reply to the email and i didnt even include my phone number in the email... ON PURPOSE.

Where do you think they got your number?

Where do you think they got your number?

i contacted them about a year and a half ago and they obviously saved it and my email address

• Advertisement

i contacted them about a year and a half ago and they obviously saved it and my email address

Overall I think they are a good company but their marketing and sales approach is overly aggressive.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Send us a PM on this and we'll take a look into this ASAP

Digiweb wrote: »
    Send us a PM on this and we'll take a look into this ASAP

don't worry about it , it's fine ... i didn't actually speak to anyone (couldn't answer at work) it's just a bit much to receive calls when all you want is an email , i eventually got the email response after the calls. just maybe ease up a bit, some people don't really like to speak to a sales team trying to convince you to switch to them. I'll still consider your service , i just haven't made my mind up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had any luck getting an address connected after the address is marked as unavailable?

The fibre line runs straight passed the house, it was on the openeir list until go live date. Now it returns "a result is unavailable for this address".

Any help appreciated! Two of use WFH at the moment and trying to use mobile 'broadband'.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

STIG83 wrote: »
    I came across this thread hoping somebody can help me.
    I'm currently having my house built hoping to be in October or worst case before Christmas.
    I can def get fibre as i have a pole outside with one of them black boxes on it that has wire wrapped around it, the issue i have is that my Eircode is not recognised on any of the suppliers i try, eg Eir, Vodafone.

My future neighbours beside the new house have FTTH.
    I'm currently in a rental and getting fibe broadband and want to stay with that provider as i'm happy with their service.
    Looking along our road, there's a pretty random assortment of houses who can or can't get FTTH, with no apparent logic. I know of only a handful of neighbours who have connected and received FTTH.

What do i need to do to get my eircode recognised on my provider's system?

Thanks

I have a slightly different issue, wondering if anyone could suggest how to tackle it.

My house is 9-10 years old, rural area, never had a landline installed (no broadband available when we moved in), but I installed ducting from the house to the roadside during construction for future use.
    Anyway, there's fibre passing my gate and there's a distribution point approx 40 metres from my gate, which isn't being used by any house at present. However, when I check availability with any of the providers, my eircode either isn't recognised as valid, or I can at best get VDSL from Airwire.
    The house immediately next door can get FTTH (Interestingly, Airwire are the only provider who can recognise this Eircode too), which presumably would be fed from the same DP.
    To my untrained eye, I can't see an issue with getting FTTH for our house, but how do I get a provider to engage with me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I have a slightly different issue, wondering if anyone could suggest how to tackle it.

My house is 9-10 years old, rural area, never had a landline installed (no broadband available when we moved in), but I installed ducting from the house to the roadside during construction for future use.
    Anyway, there's fibre passing my gate and there's a distribution point approx 40 metres from my gate, which isn't being used by any house at present. However, when I check availability with any of the providers, my eircode either isn't recognised as valid, or I can at best get VDSL from Airwire.
    The house immediately next door can get FTTH (Interestingly, Airwire are the only provider who can recognise this Eircode too), which presumably would be fed from the same DP.
    To my untrained eye, I can't see an issue with getting FTTH for our house, but how do I get a provider to engage with me?
    PM....

https://touch.boards.ie/user/874592

• Registered Users Posts: 19,768 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Is the house set back a long way from the road?

Is the house next door, slightly further away from the nearest village/town? Fibre going out from a village will pass houses that are close enough to a cabinet to get 30 Mbps or greater. Those weren't allocated a fibre connection, even with it passing their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

don't worry about it , it's fine ... i didn't actually speak to anyone (couldn't answer at work) it's just a bit much to receive calls when all you want is an email , i eventually got the email response after the calls. just maybe ease up a bit, some people don't really like to speak to a sales team trying to convince you to switch to them. I'll still consider your service , i just haven't made my mind up yet.
    I look at Digiweb deals they look the best at the moment €25 for 1gb for 12 month.I would change but still in contract with airwire paying €60 for phone and 150mb broadband abit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rob808 wrote: »
    I look at Digiweb deals they look the best at the moment €25 for 1gb for 12 month.I would change but still in contract with airwire paying €60 for phone and 150mb broadband abit expensive.

Is that not Siro and not applicable in this thread?
    Or have I misunderstood?

Maybe they have priced both the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

rob808 wrote: »
    I look at Digiweb deals they look the best at the moment €25 for 1gb for 12 month.I
    It is not, it
    €25 for 3 months and €65 for the rest of 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

alec76 wrote: »
    It is not, it
    €25 for 3 months and €65 for the rest of 9 months
    yea your right to good to be true guess Eir deal look better but your stuck in a two year contract yeeks.

Don't forget €99 connection fee for Digiweb.
    Vodafone 1Gb for €40 , 12 months contract no connection fee, but than again , it is Vodafone , heavily congested network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭vqr2a0kg3lywos

Hey all,

Yesterday we spoke to a KN engineer who said that fibre to the home was laid in our estate and showed us an image that showed a "micro cell" in our estate.

However, for whatever reason our estate hasn't been connected, and we have neither FTTC or FTTH.

I've tried Eir, comreg, KN and aren't getting anywhere.

Another engineer for Sky said they have FTTH just outside our estate and it's just a case of switching ours on as well. Both engineers separately said it would be a days work max.

How can I find out if this is true? And how can I go about getting it switched on?

HUgely frustrating as Eir were in our estate back in October doing work laying fibre, but nothing ever came of it.

I'm not sure how a Sky engineer can know that. If It's just a case of switching it on there would be a distribution point very close to your house and your address would be on the database.

It's up to Open Eir to add you address to the available database.

I'm not sure how a Sky engineer can know that. If It's just a case of switching it on there would be a distribution point very close to your house and your address would be on the database.

It's up to Open Eir to add you address to the available database.

Thanks @shaveAbullock

Would this indicate distribution points?

https://imgur.com/a/1LtqxMS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Thanks @shaveAbullock

Would this indicate distribution points?

https://imgur.com/a/1LtqxMS

Yes it would. It may not be lit yet just mapped they'll get to it in no particular hurry different crews do different things. One crew pulls the blue straw ducts another blows fibre up it another installs dp's and splices and eventually pairs them up on exchange end. Takes months 3 - 6 months seems to be the norm

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Yes it would. It may not be lit yet just mapped they'll get to it in no particular hurry different crews do different things. One crew pulls the blue straw ducts another blows fibre up it another installs dp's and splices and eventually pairs them up on exchange end. Takes months 3 - 6 months seems to be the norm

Thanks for this.

That's at least a bit promising...

There were around 25km+ of work done laying cables for high speed broadband from Galway and past our estate.

On Oct 19th 2019 there was an Eir crew in our estate doing work - when I asked them they said it was for fibre broadband (we don't even have FTTC here).

But since then, 9 months later it's been radio silence.

I'm finding it impossible to get any info out of anyone.

Infuriating that it's seemingly so close yet still not here. Is there any way to push this or at least get on to someone to find a better date?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

We got setup with Eir FTTH today in rural Tipperary. We were with Nova Broadband up until today from about 2016. They were reliable initially, but the last year has been a real pain with them. I had to switch to a 4G router to work from home during the lock down.

It's interesting to compare both the connections - a simple graph of a ping to the router's gateway IP tells a lot. The drop from about 3pm today is when we switched over.

521720.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No word of any offers from Eir/others on FTTH since fibre was installed in the street outside my house during the week of the 18th May. Any guesses on when we can realistically get the service?

Mc Love wrote: »
    No word of any offers from Eir/others on FTTH since fibre was installed in the street outside my house during the week of the 18th May.
    Have you tried to order? You'll get no door to door sales anymore due to COVID19.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

alec76 wrote: »
    Have you tried to order? You'll get no door to door sales anymore due to COVID19.

Been checking the checker to see if we can avail of it weekly. Suppose I could give them a call and see.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Been checking the checker to see if we can avail of it weekly. Suppose I could give them a call and see.

How many different ISP's have you been checking with as they all have their own database updated at different intervals.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Our installation pricing for FTTH has also been changed as of 1. July.

babi-hrse wrote: »

We seem to have distribution points already in the estate according to a KN engineer (although I can't see any black boxes, maybe they're underground?)

Another couple of KN guys are here now blowing fibre in.

What else would need to be done, just the splicing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

We seem to have distribution points already in the estate according to a KN engineer (although I can't see any black boxes, maybe they're underground?)

Another couple of KN guys are here now blowing fibre in.

What else would need to be done, just the splicing?

If they are just installing fibre, you likely do not have any distribution points installed yet. There is a fixed chain of events.

Prep work on chambers or poles > ducting > fibre cable > splicing/DP installation.

The KN guy showed you a map. Unless you saw the DP in the chamber or on a pole assume it is not there yet. You could be a few weeks to a few months away from going live at this stage.

Advertisement