Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Arrival wrote: »
    It's up to 3GB per hour for 1080p, and up to 7GB for 4k. If you've 2 or more screens streaming 4+ hours a day, which wouldn't be uncommon especially at the moment, you'd easily be close to hitting 1TB and that's just for streaming TV/films. No idea why anyone would defend such a pathetic usage limit in this day and age

High usage customets can easily use 4 - 6 TB a month on an uncapped sercice.
    The 1 TB FUP on digiweb is not to ensure everyone stays below the FUP or to punish those that do not but to discurage the really heavy users from sigining up. This allows them to offer competative prices for those that are not heavy users.

I'm not saying I like that business model but that it would seem to work for them. And it works for their customer's. If it's not for you there are other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,764 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

High usage customers can easy use 4 - 6 TB a month on an uncapped sercice.
    The 1 TB FUP on digiweb is not to ensure everyone stays below the FUP or to punish those that do go over it but to discurage the realky heavy users from sigining up. This allows them to offer competative prices for those that are not heavy users.

I'm not saying I like that business model but it would seem to work for them.

Then those data hogs need to pay for it. I recall someone once posted the wholesale price of a TB and was surprised at how high it was. I suspect a 4-6 TB user would be nonprofitable.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Then those data hogs need to pay for it. I recall someone once posted the wholesale price of a TB and was surprised at how high it was. I suspect a 4-6 TB user would be nonprofitable.

And that's why digiweb discurage such users from even signing up. They know thaf these customers are in the minority and would be better served by a different company.
    Digiweb are not missing out when these people go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Grnsj wrote: »
    The average VDSL subscriber uses 210GB per month.
    The average FTTH subscriber uses 219GB.
    The average cable subscriber uses 289GB.

This place is completely out of touch with reality.

Where are those stats from ?

We aren't average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Those stats are straight outta 2005

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is this recent 2020 data?
    The average subscriber mustn't do much more than watch a few videos on Facebook and Instagram with a few hours of Netflix if those monthly data usages are normal!

I know not everyone is a gamer or has a gamer in the household but downloading most modern day games is close to 50-100GB per title, then software updates/patches can easily be 10 to 30GB per file. With next gen consoles just around the corner, these files are going to get much bigger when games will contain 4k textures and assets, plus 4k steaming will become more normal as well.

The past few months has changed the way we use the internet too, many people are spending alot more time at home, working from home may become more long term and that in itself will use more data in most households.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Is this recent 2020 data?
    The average subscriber mustn't do much more than watch a few videos on Facebook and Instagram with a few hours of Netflix if those monthly data usages are normal!

I know not everyone is a gamer or has a gamer in the household but downloading most modern day games is close to 50-100GB per title, then software updates/patches can easily be 10 to 30GB per file. With next gen consoles just around the corner, these files are going to get much bigger when games will contain 4k textures and assets, plus 4k steaming will become more normal as well.

The past few months has changed the way we use the internet too, many people are spending alot more time at home, working from home may become more long term and that in itself will use more data in most households.

So many people consume movies on this small phone screen in 720p, why do you think Scorsese was telling them not to for his movies :)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/02/martin-scorsese-the-irishman-dont-watch-on-phone-netflix

Sometimes while at friends houses, I see them streaming to a 4k TV in 720p and ask them why only to be told it makes no difference to them.

Many gamers only play fortnight, Fifa or COD. And while these games can have big updates it still does not amount to much when you have so few games.

At the same time these very same users will buy into the marketing and order the 1Gbs package.

The posters on this forum do not represent the average user.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Grnsj

The stats are from the Q4 2019 Comreg Key report. Pretty much every large ISP submits data to it.

https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-publishes-quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2019/

That is an interesting point, Gonzo, about the increase in lockdown data consumption, however the Q2 report won't be out until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The stats are from the Q4 2019 Comreg Key report. Pretty much every large ISP submits data to it.

https://www.comreg.ie/comreg-publishes-quarterly-key-data-report-q4-2019/

That is an interesting point, Gonzo, about the increase in lockdown data consumption, however the Q2 report won't be out until September.

Comreg and others say 30-33% YOY growth.

The average VDSL subscriber uses 210GB per month. 247.8GB/month
    The average FTTH subscriber uses 219GB. 258.42GB/month
    The average cable subscriber uses 289GB. 341.02GB/month

(Assuming data was probably collated early Dec at the latest)

This is saying nothing about Lockdown bumps.
    The exchange in Milan had a 40% increase the day Italy was quarantined.

johan_blog_02.png.rendition.3840.3840.png
    ^ VF
    More video conferencing over fixed broadband, as customers work from home to an unprecedented degree, has increased upstream data flows (from the customer to our network) by as much as 100% in some markets. Downstream traffic has also increased by 44% in aggregate. The higher growth in upstream traffic is more manageable because of the way our network is designed and because video conferencing requires lower bandwidth than downstream services like streaming TV or film.

Also VF. Theres some offset from the commercial side but to suggest the average cable sub is north of 500GB/mo at present is probably quite conservative.

Summertime isnt helping as we're in the normal broadcast TV slump so users are going to be hitting VODs more anyways especially when they couldnt go out much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Started the switch to Vodafone today as Eir wouldn't budge on the 85 euro a month after my offer period ended...

Does anyone know if the Vodafone Gigabox can get it's own IP address through my switch like the Eir one can? I am using the Huawei Mesh as a router, and have the Eir box currently get's it's own IP address so the VOIP phone can work.

Thanks!

Inex graphs

Jump in March is insane.

https://www.inex.ie/ixp/statistics/infrastructure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Kencollins wrote: »
    Started the switch to Vodafone today as Eir wouldn't budge on the 85 euro a month after my offer period ended...

Does anyone know if the Vodafone Gigabox can get it's own IP address through my switch like the Eir one can? I am using the Huawei Mesh as a router, and have the Eir box currently get's it's own IP address so the VOIP phone can work.

Thanks!

That's very unfair, most Eir customers are paying either 55 or 65 for the 1000 under a contract. Outside of contract it is still 85.

Do they not allow to recontract for another 2 years and keep the price at 65 per month instead of 85?

A few providers have now brought the price of the 1000 down to about 70 a month out of contract since 1st of July.

No point in you paying 85 when you get it elsewhere for cheaper under a new contract.

Thanks!

Call back and try someone else I'd say.

I can't imagine they will beat Vodafones offer of 500mb for 30 euro a month for a year, including local and national calls!

I can't imagine they will beat Vodafones offer of 500mb for 30 euro a month for a year, including local and national calls!

They won't but the amount of complaints on here about vodafone. Very low speeds etc

I'd rather pay a bit more for a reliable service.

limnam wrote: »
    They won't but the amount of complaints on here about vodafone. Very low speeds etc

I'd rather pay a bit more for a reliable service.

I will give them a chance for the 14 day cancellation period after installation. I thought the FTTH product was pretty much you get what you pay for? I'm on the 300mb package with eir and have never had a dropoff in speeds.

I will give them a chance for the 14 day cancellation period after installation. I thought the FTTH product was pretty much you get what you pay for? I'm on the 300mb package with eir and have never had a dropoff in speeds.

eir's network seems to be very good.

No, not get what you pay for if the ISP's network is not daycent with plenty of capacity

looks like vodafone users having a big drop off during peak hours there's a lot of threads on them here over the last while.

I also couldnot get near 1gb maxing out at about 450mb when on 1gb with Airwire.

While Eir's customer service seems to be terrible for some. The network sounds like it's solid.

eir's network seems to be very good.

While Eir's customer service seems to be terrible for some. The network sounds like it's solid.

I changed from 300 to 1000 two days ago and continue to pay the same price for the next 2 years, however I do notice unlike the 150 and 300 which are consistent on speedtests all the time 24/7, the 1000 is a bit more up and down, could be down to my network card or slight contention kicking in at times. I mostly get between 700 and 850, a few times it's been in the 600s and the odd time I hit 900.

Speedtest just now:
    9736719382.png

Speedtest late last night:
    9734316382.png

Generally Eir's network is really good and very consistent, latency is particularly good.

I changed from 300 to 1000 two days ago and continue to pay the same price for the next 2 years, however I do notice unlike the 150 and 300 which are consistent on speedtests all the time 24/7, the 1000 is a bit more up and down, could be down to my network card or slight contention kicking in at times. I mostly get between 700 and 850, a few times it's been in the 600s and the odd time I hit 900.

Speedtest just now:
    9736719382.png

Speedtest late last night:
    9734316382.png

Generally Eir's network is really good and very consistent, latency is particularly good.

Is that hard wired?

Ping is excellent. I avg about 10 ms

• Advertisement

Is that hard wired?

yep it is to the F2000 modem.

My wireless speeds are very unreliable and often drop due to that poor modem.

Im considering buying a Fritzbox and changing over to that.

My experience with Eir's network was that it was excellent. Two minor interruptions in 12 months. Pity about their large jump in price after 12 months or I would have stayed with them

yep it is to the F2000 modem.

My wireless speeds are very unreliable and often drop due to that poor modem.

Im considering buying a Fritzbox and changing over to that.

Fritzbox is a decent router but the wifi is like the majority of consumer ones. It's stable but range is limited like most.

I disabled it and put in some ubiquiti ap's. If you need any sort of range a frizbox probably won't help too much

My experience with Eir's network was that it was excellent. Two minor interruptions in 12 months. Pity about their large jump in price after 12 months or I would have stayed with them

This is the only reason I stay with Eir, their network quality is so good, it's not really possible to get much better without spending lots of money on a really high quality network card and better routers.

I was so close to changing providers this week as staying on an outdated 300 plan for 64 a month made no sense when everyone else was getting upgraded to 500. Once Eir introduced the offer for existing customers for the same price as what I was paying for 300 It just made sense. Up to last week the 1000 plan was 85 a month if I wanted it. In two year's time when my contract is up and if the price does go back to 85 i'll have to switch to another provider or downgrade but I've a feeling by July 2022 when my contract is up Eir are unlikely to be still charging 85 for 1000. Most likely by then their 150 plan will get upgraded to 500 at some point, Digiweb and Vodafone are already doing it.

Fritzbox is a decent router but the wifi is like the majority of consumer ones. It's stable but range is limited like most.

I disabled it and put in some ubiquiti ap's. If you need any sort of range a frizbox probably won't help too much

Perhaps you have a bad one. I would conservatively estimate my current Fritzbox has at least twice the range of an F2000. A moment ago I walked over to the road and was getting a strong WiFi signal from the Fritzbox on both 5Ghz and 2.5Ghz standing next to my letter box, and that's about 25m away from the router at least. I then crossed the road, climbed over the gate into the field opposite and was still getting a good signal on 2.5Ghz 32m from the router. I also have a TP-Link with a forest of pointy antennae that has a couple more m of range than the Fritzbox, but the former still has superb range compared to pretty much every other router I have ever had.

Perhaps you have a bad one. I would conservatively estimate my current Fritzbox has at least twice the range of an F2000. A moment ago I walked over to the road and was getting a strong WiFi signal from the Fritzbox on both 5Ghz and 2.5Ghz standing next to my letter box, and that's about 25m away from the router at least. I then crossed the road, climbed over the gate into the field opposite and was still getting a good signal on 2.5Ghz 32m from the router. I also have a TP-Link with a forest of pointy antennae that has a couple more m of range than the Fritzbox, but the former still has superb range compared to pretty much every other router I have ever had.

I think it's more of the house and the lay out tbh in comparison to where the fritz is. When we had FTC in our last house I was mostly always in the same room as the f2000. I don't think any single router would work out for me now.

The ubiqiti kit is really nice, simple to setup nice interface and relatively cheap for the quality. But absolutely if there's no need for them it can be a bit of overkill. Most of our dividing walls are solid concrete also which adds another problem.

There's a good post from MArlow here adding fritz's into each room in a mesh.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112520491&postcount=1

There's a good post from MArlow here adding fritz's into each room in a mesh.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112520491&postcount=1

Well we don't all live in a blo​ody castle with faraday cages for rooms. I don't quite get why you wouldn't use more Ethernet cables if each room is already wired for it. I have concrete block walls.

Well we don't all live in a blo​ody castle with faraday cages for rooms. I don't quite get why you wouldn't use more Ethernet cables if each room is already wired for it. I have concrete block walls.

:D

I was just showing how he set it up using fritz's

For me the house wasn't wired originally but as it's a dormer it's easy to bring cabling to the ceilings and it still look "nice" as it's hidden

• Advertisement

Is anyone using Vodafone and not having problems? Looking back at a few posts i'm a bit worried that it all goes to crap in the evenings. Eir has been stable but is just too expensive for me.

Advertisement